?? easiest place for Lulworth Skipper next w/e?

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
EricY

?? easiest place for Lulworth Skipper next w/e?

Post by EricY »

We are in Bournemouth 1,2 & 3 August for our "Emerald" anniversary she tells me (The Ladies will know how many that is). I am being allowed 2 hours to find & photography my last butterfly on UK list, namely the Lulworth Skipper. Bearing in mind my wife does not do wildlife & will only sit in car for max 2 hours. Where is easiest place to park & find the Lulworth without too much walking up hills etc?. I have looked through the other threads & possibly Durlstone CP might be the place but also have been told Tynham village could be good. Any advice appreciated. Eric
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: ?? easiest place for Lulworth Skipper next w/e?

Post by Wurzel »

Depending on the MOD Tyneham might be shut so your best bet is probably Durlston. You can check out the Website to make sure that they're still flying and also the best place to find them. Hope this helps, good luck! :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Tony Moore

Post by Tony Moore »

Definitely Durleston. Your wife can sit and enjoy the view from the refurbished caff, and you will not have to walk far to find LS.

Tony M.
Mikhail

Post by Mikhail »

To get to Durlston from Bournemouth you will probably want to use the chain ferry from Sandbanks.. Bear in mind that long queues can build up , especially at summer weekends, which could badly eat into your 2 hour window. Alternatives are to drive round via Wareham, or to take the bus no. 50 , which can go to the front of the queue at Sandbanks, and usually takes about one hour to Swanage.

M.
EricY

Post by EricY »

Many thanks for the replies, looks like Durlstone CP will be it.
Wursel - I am informed Tyneham is open all through August
Eric
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Eric,

I have been to Durlston in both 2012 and 2013 in early September and still seen Lulworth Skippers on the wing.
From the visitor centre if you take the cliff path towards the lighthouse you will come to the area known as the gully. You may see Lulworth Skippers along the cliff path but the grassy slopes of the gully are your best bet.

Reports in my diary with some photos of the gully are below, scroll down for the Durlston reports,

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=5424&start=680

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=5424&start=280

Hope this helps,

Neil.
EricY

Post by EricY »

Lulworth skipper female
Lulworth skipper female
Lulworth Skipper M
Lulworth Skipper M
Lulworth Skipper M
Lulworth Skipper M
Yes the Country park was very easy, just 100yda from the new visitor centre (refurbished mock castle). Neil I would have liked more time to visit the gully & indeed the whole site but had to make do with just the coastal path. It was quite windy & the butterflies there were past their best but it did complete the UK 59 species list for me. We did both enjoy a few hours there just soaking up the sunshine & view & even wife enjoyed our anniversary day out. The bonus was when I went back the 100yds to the cliff top for 2nd look a juv Perigrine was on the rocks only 35 yds away & also saw some Marbled whites. A few photos. Eric
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Glad you got your Lulworths Eric :D

edit; ...and congratulations on completing your 59.

Cheers,

Neil.
Last edited by Neil Freeman on Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

"but it did complete the UK 59 species list for me"
Arise Sir Eric. Congratulations!
BWs, Neil

Return to “Sites”