August 2014

Discussion forum for sightings.
David M

August 2014

Post by David M »

I expect to see a few Brown Hairstreaks on here! :)
millerd

Re: August 2014

Post by millerd »

Second brood Adonis Blue seen today at both Box Hill (Dukes) and Denbies.
Adonis Blue at Denbies
Adonis Blue at Denbies
Dave
David M

Post by David M »

Great start!!
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

Dropped in on my local "reptile patch" yesterday(1/8/14) and was surprised to see my 1st Wall Brown of the year! its also the 1st time i have sighted a Wall Brown at this location, in the 4 years that i have been observing there.
Other butterflies of note were- large numbers of both Meadow Brown and Gatekeepers, Brimstone, Peacock, Comma, just the one SWF, Common Blue, Speckled Wood.

Location- Kent.

A couple of photos, cheers Paul.
1st-August-2014-053-to-600.jpg
1st-August-2014-062-to-600.jpg
Alexc

Post by Alexc »

Just returned from a week in Pembrokeshire with the fammo and during that time saw a few interesting butterflies. Couldn't find the post again on here that I read a while back, but think it was Willrow's post re silver-studded blues near Stackpole/Bosherston. For interest and just to add to that info for the area, I had at least 5 or 6 silver-studded blues (males and females) in the space of minutes amongst the sand dune area of Barafundle Beach, on the other side of Stackpole Head to the original report. No time to look further, as running up and down the sand dunes with the kids was what i had promised and what was prioritised (out of my hands), however an obvious potential for many more of this species at this site.

Also a few graylings noticed at Strumble Head (anyone who wants to see harbour porpoise should visit this site, I've never missed them here) and plenty of small coppers and magpie moths, as well as a few wall browns noticed along the length of the coast.
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Having seen the weather forecast today I set my stall to see Brown Hairstreak with two sites in mind - Shipton Bellinger and Noar Hill. I set off for SB at about 9am and immediately encountered a very heavy shower though fortunately it was short lived. On arriving there were already half a dozen people on the western boundary and they had spotted a couple of males high up which I had a brief glimpse of - but I set off to find a quieter area. I soon found a male in reasonable condition on bramble so got a few shots, and during the course of the morning I probably located seven different males in various areas. Also spotted were good numbers of Brimstone and refreshingly Small Tortoiseshell, a pristine Painted Lady and a Clouded Yellow that didn't stop.
After eating my sandwiches I set off across country to Noar Hill where I was not quite as hopeful of meeting my target. On parking in the lane I met a chap who told me about the second brood Duke of Burgundy he had seen so I set off up the track hopeful of seeing a most unlikely double. I headed for one of the pits that is the most popular with Dukes in ‘normal’ season and within minutes I spotted a Duke battling with a Small Skipper and Brown Argus a most unusual sight! I scoured the site hoping to find an elusive BH to complete what would probably be a unique double for one site but despite looking for probably two hours I could neither relocate the Duke nor find a Brown Hairstreak. Altogether a great day seeing 23 different species and both of Hampshires early and late rarities on one day - most peculiar.
Attachments
Second Brood Duke
Second Brood Duke
Brown Hairstreak
Brown Hairstreak
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
Rosalyn

Post by Rosalyn »

Otmoor 03.08.14
A good start to the day. I didn't have to get up until 7.30 :D I didn't want to disappoint David M so here are our Brown Hairstreaks :lol: . First male came down about 10.30 followed by a female at 11.00 who posed for pics for about half an hour
Brown Hairstreak 140803 009.jpg
I think in total Philib and I saw 5 or 6 females and 4 males.
Brown Hairstreak 140803 015.jpg
Brown Hairstreak 140803 193S.jpg
We left shortly after 2pm
Brown Hairstreak 140803 054.jpg
Last edited by Rosalyn on Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cyprio42

Post by cyprio42 »

Fantastic pics of the Brown Hairstreak.
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Silver-washed Fritillaries still out in reasonable numbers in Wytham Wood near Oxford (permit-only, but well worth obtaining if you are regularly in the area). The majority were females (and included a valezina); they seemed most interested in flying around our legs. At least another 14 species present including Purple Hairstreak, Brown Argus and, very late in the year, Large Skipper.
Butterflymax

Post by Butterflymax »

Technically this is a July sighting, as I took the photo on July 30th, but I thought you might like to see this photo of a Peacock considering an alternative method of transport to reach the centre of town! Location: Ashlawn Cutting, Rugby.

Second photo is a Marbled White from June at the same location. It wasn't flying very far at a time and stayed close to the ground. Given the state of its wings, I wonder if it was a freshly hatched example?

Thirdly, my first ever photo of male and female Brimstones on the same plant, in the same photo! Again at Ashlawn Cutting.

Fourthly, my best Holly Blue photo for a few years, taken again at Ashlawn Cutting on 30th July.

Sorry for the photos being a bit late, but time is a bit thin on the ground at the moment!

:)
Attachments
Holly Blue at Ashlawn Cutting - Rugby Central former station platflorm
Holly Blue at Ashlawn Cutting - Rugby Central former station platflorm
Male & female Brimstones together-ish
Male & female Brimstones together-ish
Possibly freshly-hatched Marbled White
Possibly freshly-hatched Marbled White
Peacock considering cycling
Peacock considering cycling
nomad

Post by nomad »

Thank you Phil for the info on the Brown Hairstreak in Oxon. In the end I opted for Sutton Bellinger, but today I am off to Bernwood and perhaps Otmoor if I have time. Yesterday at the Hants site I saw a several Male Brown Hairstreaks nectaring on Bramble and Creeping Thistle, although nearly all were appearing worn. My guess is after only a day or two on the wing they would show wear due to their feeding habitats and erratic flight . I only found one female with ragged blackened wing edges. My guess she was hit by the heavy rain the day before? There were lots of other butterflies. At one puddle lots of Common Blue males were drinking. There was a nice very fresh male Painted Lady.
Regards Peter.
A male on Creeping Thistle
A male on Creeping Thistle
A male rests after feeding.
A male rests after feeding.
Painted Lady.
Painted Lady.
PhiliB

Post by PhiliB »

Brown Hairstreaks at Otmoor, again.

Today was much a quieter day for Hairstreaks than yesterday, possibly due to the cooler & cloudier weather conditions.
My tally of 'low down' sightings consisted of 2 aged males and a solitary female with a damaged antenna.
A male on an unusual food source
A male on an unusual food source
A male on a more typical nectar source
A male on a more typical nectar source
A female taking a lunchtime break from egg laying
A female taking a lunchtime break from egg laying
nomad

Post by nomad »

Hi all- I went to Bernwood Forest in Oxon today to search for Brown Hairstreaks, having seen Phil's lovely images I should have really have gone to Otmoor. I have a long association with both places. When I was a boy, my father used to take me to Otmoor to listen to the Grasshopper Warblers, with my hearing I probably could not hear them today. All I remember then of Otmoor was long grass, brambles and sedges. In the 1970's I used to visit the lane leading to Hell's Coppice of Bernwood in September and remember seeing egg-laying female Brown Hairstreaks. Hence E.B Ford noting that most people look for them too early. In Bernwood Forest I visited the M40 Compensation area , but only saw my sought after butterfly high up in the Ashes and couple flying fast over the tops of the Sloe bushes. I did see a herd of Fallow deer, a Roe and a Muntjac and their droppings all over the place. All round the site the Sloe bushes were nearly all stripped of their foliage between three to five feet from the ground. Many of the young Sloe seemed dead from the attentions of the many deer. There is a deer fence around the site, but the animals have pushed under where there are banks and when I arrived the gate was wide open. I wonder if all this damage impacts on the Brown Hairstreak population. It certainly will in the future. Probably my biggest surprise was finding a Chalkhill Blue male in the M40 Compensation meadows. Later I visited Bernwood meadows nature reserve, but again no luck except for two females? speeding along the tops of the Sloe hedges. Here I found the smallest Common Blue I have ever seen, about the size of a male Small Blue. I wondered has anybody ever photographed Brown Hairstreaks at Bernwood?
Regards Peter
Male Chalkhill Blue M40 compensation grassland.
Male Chalkhill Blue M40 compensation grassland.
Miniature Common Blue with Green bottle Bernwood Nature reserve
Miniature Common Blue with Green bottle Bernwood Nature reserve
Stripped young sloe bushes at the M40 compensation area Bernwood
Stripped young sloe bushes at the M40 compensation area Bernwood
Deer damage M40 compensation area
Deer damage M40 compensation area
Last edited by nomad on Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Visited Rodborough Common, Gloucestershire yesterday to spend the day with the 'blues'...Chalkhill & Adonis Blue that is :) The former were in countless hundreds on Swellshill Bank and in healthy numbers elsewhere throughout the common, the latter however were in very short supply - I saw perhaps just half a dozen during the entire day :shock:

Chalkhill Blue put my seasons species list onto 50 and I think that is it for the season now, I'm happy to see so many species :) but sad that all the British species have now appeared :( the season has just whizzed along :shock: having said that there is still much to be enjoyed with the remaining species still 'out and about' its just the thought that there are no other species to look forward too :roll:
The blues brothers on the much favoured Carline Thistle
The blues brothers on the much favoured Carline Thistle
One of the many fresh male chalkies encountered
One of the many fresh male chalkies encountered
Knockout colours of Adonis Blue
Knockout colours of Adonis Blue
There was lots of mating activity on Swellshill and I had several opportunities to record some photographs, I must however warn the more prudish viewer that the image below of 'in-cop' chalkies is rather 'graphic' :oops: so don't look :lol:
The generation game...didn't they do well!!!
The generation game...didn't they do well!!!

Among the other blues were good numbers of Brown Argus and Common Blue the former species usually appeared nice and fresh looking, just as we like em' for a snapshots eh :wink:
Male Brown Argus probably - I've got it wrong before now lol
Male Brown Argus probably - I've got it wrong before now lol
Yesterday I saw more Small Copper than the rest of the year in total :o with at least a dozen seen, the species has done poorly this year, lets hope this lovely little butterfly does much better next year.
Small Copper has fared poorly in 2014...
Small Copper has fared poorly in 2014...
A bonus during my visit came in the form of a hyper fast fly-by Clouded Yellow which if memory serves is only the second I've seen this year, as I attempted pursuit it fooled me by doubling back (sneaky b*gg*r :x ) and almost hit me in the head before soaring over the near trees and away :roll: ...so there was no record photograph obtained again this year :(

In total 20 species seen and I'm usually quite pleased to see a third of the British species list in one day :) ...everyone should be...don't you think?

Bill :D

"When in doubt...venture out"
Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
Stampy98

Post by Stampy98 »

Lower Woods, Gloucestershire

Whilst searching for Violet helleborines at Lower Woods I was also entertained by a good variety of butterflies.

30+ silver washed fritillary were present in varying condition. How some could fly with so little wings was mind boggling. Also present was one Valezina form but unfortunately it was one of the tatty ones. An interesting sighting was watching a silver washed fritillary coming to hemp agrimony to nectar when a hornet flew in and attacked it. It flew to the nearest tree to lick its wounds which on close inspection in did indeed have. The hornet had taken a chuck out of its forewing.

Also present were small copper (haven't seen many this year), peacock, gatekeepers and purple hairstreak.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

nomad wrote:.... I wondered has anybody ever photographed Brown Hairstreaks at Bernwood?
Regards Peter
Just the once for me, a female in 2011 at Bernwood Meadows, the first year that I stopped off there on my way home from Aston Rowant. If I remember correctly that is the only time I have been there when the meadows had not yet been cut.

Scroll down for a couple of photos in my diary below,

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=5424&start=20

Cheers,

Neil.
nomad

Post by nomad »

Hi Neil - Super shots of a pristine female. Your luck was in that day at Bernwood Meadows. It is very pleasant to take a late summer stroll around the Blackthorn hedges at Bernwood, even though all the meadows have now been cut for hay.

Regards Peter.
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

A magical moment today when I was looking for butterflies at Mill Copse Yarmouth IOW. I was looking at some bramble and suddenly something was flitting around me like a will o' the wisp and landed on my hand enabling me to photograph it. It reminded me of Tinkerbell in Peter Pan. I believe it is a female ruddy darter but possibly a female common darter. :D
Ian
Attachments
Ruddy darter 2.jpg
Ruddy darter 1.jpg
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Looks like Ruddy Darter to me Ian.
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

That reminds me of one time when I was fishing a number of years ago when a Common Darter landed on my knee having caught it's lunch. Over the course of fifteen minutes or so it held me transfixed as It proceeded to dismember an unfortunate fly to consume the fleshy bits and for it to eventually fly off leaving me with an assortment of legs and wings on my jeans!
Kind regards
Mark
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.

Return to “Sightings”