essex buzzard

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: essex buzzard

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking stuff Essex - that's another one of those species that I've never seen but would love too :mrgreen: Do they take the place of Meadow Browns in that habitat?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

SUPER SUNNY SWANAGE!

We usurally have a holiday on the Isle of Purbeck in mid to late August. I have always seen the Lulworth Skipper on these trips but with everything running early this year,i couldn't take the risk of waiting and missing them,so i drove down on Wednesday for a day trip.

We arrived at Durlston Country Park and,in the first patch of long grass,were several Lulwoth Skippers-butterflying has never been so easy! Walking round the site,Lulworths were everywhere. As i expected,many were old,tired adults and i wondered if any would have been present had i left it until late August. But there was a sprinkling of fresh females,and all were a delight to see-there is a certain pleasure in watching these cracking little butterflies-there rarity and certainly their charisma. One of the females we watched for several minutes,as she crawled down a grass stem,and pumped 6 glorious white eggs,surprisingly large for so small a butterfly. I wanted to take a picture,but if i unfurled the grass stem to show the eggs,it may have broke,so i decided not to-it wasn't worth it.

Many other species were around,including a few late Dark Green Frits and plenty of Marbled Whites. A pair of stonechats near the lighthouse,with young in tow,were amongst the bird hilights.Another super day. :D

Full list for Durlston; Small Skipper,Lulworth Skipper,Brimstone,Large White,Small Copper,Common Blue,Brown Argus, Peacock,Red Admiral,Painted Lady,Small Tortoiseshell,Wall,Meadow Brown,Marbled White,Gatekeeper and Speckled Wood. Photo's to follow.

hi Wurzel,you must go and see the Scotch Argus. They don't take the place of Meadow Browns,as both were common,flying side by side,and have different LHP. But,where they occur,they are as common,but Meadow Browns are on the decline by time the first male Scotch Argus emerge,so its more about extending the season,and keeping the northern season going through August.

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers for the info Essex :D I'd love to get up there for SA so I'll have to try and wangle a family holiday up that way :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Pic's from Wednesday at Durlston;
Attachments
lulworth skipper
lulworth skipper
marbled white
marbled white
common blue
common blue
small copper
small copper
durlston 14 ukb 006.jpg
painted lady
painted lady
durlston cp
durlston cp

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

TUESDAY 5 AUGUST

Today i was going to go to Malling Down in Sussex,but then i heard there were miles of jams on M25 near the QE2 bridge so plan B-Aston Rowant. The forecast today was for sunny spells,with nothing more than an increasing risk of a shower. When i woke to blue skies,this seemed to be borne out. So imagine,after delays on M25 that way as well,i eventually arrived at Aston Rowant just in time to see the last of the blue sky disappear over the horizon. I stayed for half an hour to see if the weather improved and,walking around,i disturbed a Silver-spotted Skipper. My first of the year,but hardly the way i wanted to see it-kicking it out of the grass on a cold,gloomy day.

All i could see was a conveyer-belt of cloud,so i ignored the forecast and used my instinct-if the cloud and rain was coming in from the west then i should head as far east as possible to get away from it. :idea: Plan C-Lydden Temple Ewell Downs,near Dover. So back in the car to brave the dreaded M25 again! However,when i got onto the M20,i got back into the sun-magic!

It was 1.30 by time i got there,but the rest of the day was truely splendid,and well worth the (considerable) effort! Hundreds of Silver-spotted Skippers were seen,and thoroughly enjoyed,i was a great pleasure to actually see them feeding,chasing rivals and mates,and watching their lively behavior. At times,i just sat and watched the spectacle. Sometimes a female would fly over and a male would fly up from the ground to give chase,then another,and another,until clumps of Skippers would be flying low over the down,a fabulous sight. I simply cannot get enough of this species,and its lively character. Though we have to wait untill late summer to see it,a trip to see these is one of the hilights of my season.

Several Clouded Yellows were seen,my first British ones of the year. Chalkhill Blues were abundant,as were Meadow Browns. Several Walls were present. In fact,this place was alive with butterflies! With the sun continueing into the evening,i was able to watch them going to roost,to make the most of my afternoon and evening. :D :D :D
Attachments
lydden te 14 ukb 001a.JPG
lydden te 14 ukb 002a.JPG
lydden te 14 ukb 004a.JPG
lydden te 14 ukb 005a.JPG
lydden te 14 ukb 006.jpg
lydden temple ewell
lydden temple ewell

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Greta shots Essex and that close up of the Silver Spot is a real gem of a shot :mrgreen: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Thanks Wurzel. After all the hassle earlier in the day,i was double pleased to see them!

MALLING DOWN

The following day,we took a rather more relaxed trip to Malling Down,near Lewes,Sssex. This gave me another chance to see the fantastic Silver-spotted Skipper. Though the wind was blowing up the slope,there was plenty of action and,having rushed things a bit yesterday,today i watched them going about their buisiness-though i couldn't resist a few pictures! We observed several males trying simply to mate with the female as she sat there-but the females were having none of it! We also saw a female laying on sheeps fescue,picture below.

The emergence of the second generation Adonis Blues signals the end of summer. Several fresh males were at the bottom of the slope. Many more to come here in the next two weeks. Most of the Chalkhill blues are showing their age now. We found a mating pair,picture below. However,look carefully,the unfortunate female had been got by a spider.I tried to free the male,but he was unable to break free.

A nice Painted Lady was photographed,and several Clouded Yellows were present. Full list for today; Essex Skipper, Silver-spotted Skipper,Large and Small Whites,Clouded Yellow,Small Copper,Brown Argus,Common Blue,Chalkhill Blue, Adonis Blue, Painted Lady,Small Tortoiseshell,Peacock,Comma,Wall,Gatekeeper,Meadow Brown,Marbled White and Small Heath.

Plenty of buzzards live near the south coast. We also saw kestrel,kite and ravens. We also saw the round headed rampion. :)
Attachments
silver spotted skipper female
silver spotted skipper female
male
male
silver spotted skipper egg
silver spotted skipper egg
round headed rampion
round headed rampion
painted lady
painted lady
chalkhill blue pair
chalkhill blue pair
adonis blue
adonis blue
malling down
malling down

William

Post by William »

Hello Essex Buzzard,

Superb photos as ever :), there's a small chance I might be stopping off at Malling Down in the next few days, I just wondered if you had any advice as to where to search for Adonis Blue and Silver - Spotted Skipper in particular?

BWs

William

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Hi William,from the car park on the B2192,take the path on the right. This takes you to a series of low mounds or hills,not 300 yards from the car park. Silver-spotted Skippers are right here!

For Adonis Blues,walk to the top of these mounds,admire the view,and then look for the golf course. Keeping this course on your left,walk along the top of the down,and then downhill when you are able,keeping an eye out for the alotments.Adonis are here at the bottom,especially in the evenings when,if it is sunny and not too windy,they gather to roost here.

If there is a choice,try to pick a day when it is not windy,as the wind funnels up this valley. Also contact Neil Hulme,who knows this site better than i do,and may be able to point out further hotspots!

Given good weather,both species are easy here.

Bws,Mark.

William

Post by William »

Thanks Essex Buzzard,

I didn't get your comments until it was too late, but Silver - Spotted Skippers were exactly where you said they would be, lovely little butterflies! :D

BWs

William

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

BROWN HAIRSTREAK DAY!

The last new species i was hoping to see this year was the Brown Hairstreak.So yesterday,Wednesday,we went to Neil Hulme's guaranteed site at Steyning an Sussex. We arrived at 11AM,and i spotted one staight away-i hadn't even got the camera ready!

We watched this female for several minutes in the blackthorn and bullace thickets that are specially managed for them here, then she flew back up into the canopy. Suddenly a shout came,another female was laying eggs further on. She was crawling up and down the vigourous young growths,stopping to bask and warm up,then going back into the thorn where we saw her laying several eggs. After several unsuitable weather days,she was probably getting desperate to lay a few! After doing so,she flew up into the trees.

This gave us the chance to have a look around the site. A patch of marjoram halfway up the slope looked interesting,so we headed that way. Suddenly,another Brown Hairstreak flew up in front of us,wasn't expecting to see it here! Lots of Common Blues and several Brown Argus were here,as were Small Tortoiseshells and Meadow Browns. At the top,several Brimstones and Walls were seen,along with a late Gatekeeper of two.Small White,Peacock,Holly Blue,Speckled Wood and Small Heath complete the picture.

About 6 Brown Hairstreaks were seen by the group.We saw three,two of which i spotted. :)
Attachments
egg laying female
egg laying female
steyning 14 ukb 002a.JPG
steyning 14 ukb 004a.JPG
steyning 14 ukb 003a.JPG
habitat
habitat

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic stuff Essex and great shots, I particularly like the open winged shot :D :mrgreen: That shot of Steyning looks quiet similar to the approach to Shipton Bellinger which suggests that they're both great habitat for Brostreaks :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Evening everyone,just back from our annual end of summer break on the Isle of Purbeck,in south Dorset. One of the most remarkable things about last week is how cold it's been,for late summer at least. Temperatures droped to single figures most nights,and rarely struggled above 15C by day-in southern England,this is roughly the average for October! Abnormal cold apart,the weather was reasonable though rather windy. Most days were dry,with intermittant sunshine and just the odd shower.

Buzzards and ravens were common and on our last day,an osprey and spoonbills were seen at Arne. Wheatears were migrating through,and several stonechat families were on the coast. Kestrels and the odd peregrine were also noted. Sand martins were at Old Harry Rocks.

Though hardly a vintage year,Clouded Yellows were present,with two or three seen at most of the sites we visited. We enjoyed these,and hopefully,the autumn weather will be a bit warmer than last year,and the eggs we saw being layed will be able to complete their cycle,and emerge as new adults in October. Something to look foreward to now the season is comming to an end.

Hummingbird Hawkmoths were also seem most days. At Lulworth Cove,two were feeding together on the same clump of red valerian.

On the Monday morning,we started with a few hours at Aston Rowant,before driving down to West Lulworth in afternoon. So i'll finish for now with some Chiltern Gentians,and Silver-spotted Skippers. :)
Attachments
a rowant 14 ukb 001a.JPG
a rowant 14 ukb 002a.JPG
a rowant 14 ukb 003.jpg
a rowant 14 ukb 004a.JPG

nomad

Post by nomad »

Lovely Brown Hairstreak images. Steyning does seem a very reliable site for the females, I will have to make the trip one year. :D Good capture of a Silver-spotted Skipper on the beautiful Chiltern Gentian.

lee3764

Post by lee3764 »

The usual brilliance of Mark's photos is something I always look forward to! That shot of the SS Skipper on Gentian is superb!!
Keep up the good work Mark!
Did you see I posted about the European Swallowtail in South Devon recently? My 10 year old son, Robert found it!!
Cheers,
Lee Slaughter (Cornwall).
:D :D

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Just seen it,Lee. What a stunning find! Young Robert is getting quite an eye for this sort of thing...

ISLE OF PURBECK

Last week,we spent Monday to Friday in Dorset. Normally,i do a day-by-day diary of events and sightings on these trips,but the weather was a bit hit and miss,with cold,cloudy conditions at times,so it is perhaps more prudent to mention some of the sites we visited,and sightings highlights.

Graylings were common at nearly all the sites we visited,and were seen every day. They are now extinct in Essex,so it was great to see so many colonies here. The photo below was taken at Bindon Hill,next to Lulworth Cove.
Attachments
grayling 002a.JPG

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Bindon Hill is right next to where we stayed,and i had several walks here,including a couple before breakfast. Most butterflies were still asleep on these early visits,due to the cold,but during the day,Chalkhill blues were common. Most were faded,tattered adults but a few were quite good,and i was pleased to see them,given the early season this year,i thought i may be too late.

Last year,this hill was full of Walls but this time,i only saw a couple of worn individuals,reflecting the earlier flight time this year. A stunning Adonis Blue was seen,though,which had probably only emerged that morning! On one of the early visits,the Small White in the picture was warming up. 8)
Attachments
dorset 14 pt1 ukb 001a.JPG
dorset 14 pt1 ukb 002a.JPG
durdle door
durdle door
dorset 14 pt1 ukb 004a.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That Chalk Hill is in great nick Essex and I'm loving the view of Durdle Door :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Thanks Wurzel,it's a great spot down there,isn't it?

Ballard Down was a little disappointing. Last year,we saw Adonis Blues by the hundred here but this August,numbers have tumbled and we only saw about twenty. After a good summer,this was most unexpected. A few Brown Argus and Common Blues were present,too.
Attachments
dorset 14 pt2 ukb 003a.JPG
dorset 14 pt2 ukb 002a.JPG
old harry rocks
old harry rocks

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

You might not have seen many Mark but you've got a couple of great shots there. I love how the background compliments the butterfly.

Return to “Personal Diaries”