Neil Freeman

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: nfreem

Post by Wurzel »

Lush photos Neil :D :mrgreen: There seems to have been a drastic emergence of Peacocks recently - I'm seeing them in fives and sixes rather than just the ones and twos from the spring 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Cheers Wurzel, there has certainly been a good emergence of Peacocks around here, numbers have been building all week :D

Friday 25th July
With the glorious weather this week I have been greeted on my arrival home from work with growing numbers of butterflies in the garden. I have a couple of Buddleias in the front garden which have been attracting half a dozen or more Peacocks most afternoons, I counted nine on pulling onto the drive on Thursday afternoon, plus a single Red Admiral and Small Tortoiseshell.

The back garden has had a constant procession of all three common whites plus a few Holly Blues as well as the constantly present Speckled Woods. Quite often all these have been in view at once with up to half a dozen whites and a couple each of Holly Blues, Specklies and maybe a Peacock all visible around the garden at the same time.

On one occasion I watched a male Speckled Wood practically knock a female out of the air and then land close to her. She then did the ‘play dead’ thing for a few seconds before righting herself and flying off at low level which lost the male. I have seen this a few times over the past few years now and only once have I seen it result in a successful pairing. Not surprising really, after all we are talking about a ‘knock her down and jump on her’ approach to courtship here, no wonder the females mostly fly off.
Speckled Wood male and unimpressed female
Speckled Wood male and unimpressed female
Despite the profusion of butterflies I have taken very few photos. Mostly they were very active in the heat and the ones that did settle, like on the Buddleias, mostly had their wings closed or just flicked them open occasionally and very briefly.
Peacock - Coverdale 25.07.2014
Peacock - Coverdale 25.07.2014
Red Admiral - Coverdale 25.07.2014
Red Admiral - Coverdale 25.07.2014
Most evenings there has been a ‘Hawker’ dragonfly patrolling up and down the garden, I haven’t seen it settle yet so not too sure of the species but it looks like either a Southern or Migrant Hawker in flight, I have had both these species in the garden before.
Last night it was still swooping back and forth at 9.00pm taking midges and gnats in the last rays of the setting sun.

A garden first for me this afternoon was a Common Darter, although I often see loads of these whilst out and about. This one spent some time perched on top of the washing line prop from where it had a grandstand view of the garden.
Common Darter - Coverdale 25.07.2014
Common Darter - Coverdale 25.07.2014
Bye for now,

Neil

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Lovely photos, as always, Neil :D Peacocks, and also Brimstone appear to be building in numbers now, which is great :D

Mike

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking shot of the Red Admiral :D I love it when they hang on the end of branches in that pose :D

Have a goodun

Wuzel

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks Mike :D , loads of peacocks around here but not many Brimstones yet. Mind you I never do get as many Brimstones as seem to be about further south.
Cheers Wurzel :D that one has been hanging around for a few days now (not in the same place :lol: ), still not managed an open wing shot :roll:

Saturday 26th July

After the heat of the past few days, today (Saturday) was forecast to be a bit cooler. The morning started off warm and sunny again however, and leaving the house just after 8.30 to go and do some shopping, I counted five Peacocks already on the Buddleias in the front garden. They were still there when I returned so after unloading the shopping I took a couple of quick shots.
Peacock - Coverdale 26.07.2014
Peacock - Coverdale 26.07.2014
After lunch I decided to pop around to my local spot at Castle Hills for a bit and do a Big Butterfly Count whilst I was there. Choosing a spot in one of the meadows that was full of Skippers, Meadow Browns, Gatekeepers and Peacocks plus numerous whites, I easily totalled 105 butterflies in 15 minutes for the count. Essex Skipper numbers have increased here with probably equal numbers with the now mostly faded Small Skippers.
Small Skipper - Castle Hills 26.07.2014
Small Skipper - Castle Hills 26.07.2014
Essex Skipper female - Castle Hills 26.07.2014
Essex Skipper female - Castle Hills 26.07.2014
Gatekeeper numbers have also increased substantially over the past week or so with plenty of females on the wing now.
Gatekeeper female - Castle Hills 26.07.2014
I am also noticing quite few of the males around here have reduced eye spots like the one I posted the other day. I saw a few more like it today, the one below being another typical example,
Gatekeeper male - Castle Hills 26.07.2014
Gatekeeper male - Castle Hills 26.07.2014
Always being on the lookout for Small Coppers here, I was pleased when I spotted a nice blue spotted example although I only managed the one so-so shot of this one before I lost sight of it.
Small Copper ab. caeruleopunctata - Castle Hills 26.07.2014
Small Copper ab. caeruleopunctata - Castle Hills 26.07.2014
I stayed around the same spot and thought that I had found it again and took some more photos but it turned out to be another individual, without the blue spots,
Small Copper - Castle Hills 26.07.2014
A bit further along I found a third Small Copper and with this one doing the typical male behaviour of returning to the same perches I managed to spend a bit of time taking some different shots.
Circling around to head back I found a single fresh male Common blue…
Common Blue - Castle Hills 26.07.2014
Common Blue - Castle Hills 26.07.2014
…and a female Holly Blue that settled briefly, just long enough for a quick shot,
Holly Blue - Castle Hills 26.07.2014
Holly Blue - Castle Hills 26.07.2014
Considering that it was supposed to be cooler today, it still felt as warm as it has been, although perhaps not as ‘muggy’ as of late. The butterflies were still mostly very active although I did manage to take advantage of some passing clouds occasionally to get some of the shots.

Bye for now,

Neil

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Sunday 27th July

Today (Sunday) turned out to be more like the previous day was forecast to be, a couple of degrees cooler with more cloud about. With a couple of hours spare in the afternoon I was tempted to return to Castle Hills to see if I could find the nice blue spotted Small Copper that I had seen there the previous day and hopefully get some better photos.

Returning to the same corner of the meadow I soon saw the normal looking Small Copper that I had seen here on Saturday and managed to get a few open wing shots,
Small Copper - Castle Hills 27.07.2014
Moving a few yards up the path I then found the blue spotted chap. With the more favourable conditions I managed to get some better photos of him. I have seen the blue spotted ab. caeruleopunctata at some local sites quite a few times now but this one is certainly one of the best marked examples that I have seen around here :D
Small Copper ab. caeruleopunctata - Castle Hills 27.07.2014
Mission accomplished, I then left him alone and carried on to check out another field that I had not looked in the previous day. Lo and behold I found another blue spotted Small Copper, the spots not as well defined as the other one but a nice example still.
A lot of the Meadow Browns are looking tired and faded now but today I noticed a few better looking condition examples around. This species has a very protracted emergence throughout the summer and I have seen reasonable looking females here in early September the past couple of years.
Meadow Brown male - Castle Hills 27.07.2014
Meadow Brown male - Castle Hills 27.07.2014
Peacocks are still very much in evidence around here with good numbers being seen just about everywhere with today being no exception.
Peacock - Castle Hills 27.07.2014
Peacock - Castle Hills 27.07.2014
I also noticed quite a few Emerald Damselflies today, I just love the way these flutter about amongst the long grass. I can easily imagine some young child seeing these and thinking that they are seeing little green fairies :D
Emerald Damselfly - Castle Hills 27.07.2014
Emerald Damselfly - Castle Hills 27.07.2014
Bye for now,

Neil

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Hi Neil, your Small Coppers are just superb! Congratulations!

Are they your second brood? I went to Dungeness on sunday and the second brood is just about over and so seeing your photographs has got me waiting to see the third brood!

Best Wishes,

Hoggers.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks Hoggers :D the second brood are only just getting going around here, mostly males so far. We don't always get a third brood or sometimes only have a partial one depending on the year.

Monday 28th July

I have got this week off work and am planning to do a mix of jobs around the house, family stuff, and of course a bit of butterflying :wink:

Monday morning we went round and picked up my daughter Sarah and little Frankie and went round to Babbs Mill Park and LNR which is just a couple of minutes’ drive away and is a local spot that I haven’t been to yet this year.
Whilst Jane and Sarah took Frankie to play on the swings and slides and stuff I sneaked off for a wander around the nature reserve.

All the usual suspects (Meadow Browns, Gatekeepers, Small/Essex Skippers and Peacocks) were about in good numbers and in the mid-morning sun were all very active. I took a few record shots of the skippers to confirm the presence of both Small and Essex which seemed to be about in fairly equal numbers with most of the Smalls being more worn and faded now.

There is a large lake in the park with a smaller ‘natural pond’ to one side and I noticed a number of Emperor Dragonflies constantly patrolling about.
I watched these for a while and not once did I see one settle so I had a go at trying to get an in-flight shot of one. After a couple of duff attempts I managed the shot below which I was quite pleased with, not perfect but not too bad with a bridge camera.
Emperor Dragonfly - Babbs Mill 28.07.2014
Emperor Dragonfly - Babbs Mill 28.07.2014
At one point one of the Emperors veered up to try a catch a silvery looking butterfly that managed to escape into a nearby Hawthorn tree and which on closer inspection turned out to be a Purple Hairstreak. On seeing this one I realised that it was the first one I have seen this year, for some reason I have just not been looking for them. The photo below is a fairly tight crop of a long distance shot but with this species you have to take the shot when you can.
Purple Hairstreak - Babbs Mill 28.07.2014
Purple Hairstreak - Babbs Mill 28.07.2014
As always I was looking out for Common Blues and Small Coppers and was pleased to see half a dozen of the former and a single male of the latter.
Common Blue - Babbs Mill 28.07.2014
Common Blue - Babbs Mill 28.07.2014
The highlight of the morning however was a Clouded Yellow, the first that I have ever seen at any of my local spots. Needless to say it didn't settle but after flying past me a couple of times disappeared over the lake.

After going back to our house for a bit, later in the afternoon I took Sarah and Frankie back to theirs and on the way back home afterwards I decided to call in at Sheldon Country Park.
Again all the usual species were present in good numbers including both Small and Essex Skippers and a good couple of dozen Common Blues :D
Gatekeeper & Common Blue - Sheldon CP 28.07.2014
Gatekeeper & Common Blue - Sheldon CP 28.07.2014
Common Blue - Sheldon CP 28.07.2014
Small Skipper - Sheldon CP28.07.2014
Small Skipper - Sheldon CP28.07.2014
Essex Skipper - Sheldon CP 28.07.2014
After seeing my first ever local Clouded Yellow in the morning at Babbs Mill, what else did I see here this afternoon? Yep, another Clouded Yellow, this one flew past me and disappeared over the boundary fence for Birmingham Airport. That's none for years and then two on the same day at two different local sites. Reckon I better start looking out for those Yellow-legged Tortoiseshells :wink: :lol:

Bye for now,

Neil.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I've just seen your Small Coppers Neil! Not only are they fantastic shots but blue spots to boot!!!! I'm beginning to think you're teasing me and you're just very good with photoshop :lol: :lol:

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks Pauline :D no intention to tease :lol: , the blue spots just seem to turn up reliably around here. I don't even own Photoshop, just a free download called PhotoScape which I use for resizing, cropping and very limited tweaking. Probably a good job really as I might be tempted to fiddle with my photos too much and when I do that I nearly always make them worse :wink:

Tuesday 29th July – Aston Rowant part 1.

For the past few years I have taken a trip down the M40 to Aston Rowant to see Silver-spotted skippers and Chalkhill Blues, this being the closest site for me to see these two species. With me being off work this week it was time to make the trip again and with one eye on the weather forecast I had chosen Tuesday for the trip.
I wanted to be there before 09.00 before things warmed up too much in order to try for some photos and after a good run down I was on the slopes by 08.45am.
The view across the reserve - this shot taken mid-morning
The view across the reserve - this shot taken mid-morning

Things were already getting going with Meadow Browns, Chalkhill blues and Small /Essex and Silver-spotted Skippers along with some Gatekeepers, Peacocks, Small Tortoiseshells and Brimstones all active, but not yet too active.
After a bit of searching I found a Silver-spotted Skipper nicely perched on a Scabious flower and took a few photos.
Silver-spotted Skipper - Aston Rowant 29.07.2014
Once I had got my eye in it was apparent that there were good numbers of Silver-spotted Skippers about although perhaps not so many as I have seen here in previous years.

As it warmed up, more and more Chalkhill Blues were seen, especially on the slopes further from the entrance where there must have been hundreds fluttering about. They were not too obvious at first as they were mostly flying low down, just inches above the ground, but again once I got my eye in they were everywhere, including many nectaring on the clumps of wild marjoram.
Chalkhill Blue - Aston Rowant 29.07.2014
Chalkhill Blue female - Aston Rowant 29.07.2014
Amongst the many female Chalkhills I found a couple that stood out, one with a fair amount of blue scales…
…and this lovely looking female with almost completely blue hindwings which was my highlight of the morning :D and which I feel sure must be a named aberration,
Chalkhill Blue female ab? - Aston Rowant 29.07.2014
Common Blues and Brown Argus were also about, at least a dozen or more of each species, mostly fresh looking males,
Brown Argus - Aston Rowant 29.07.2014
Common Blue - Aston Rowant
Common Blue - Aston Rowant
One notable absentee was Small Copper with none being seen today, in previous years I have usually seen at least a few here at this time.

By about 11.00 it was getting quite hot and the butterflies were getting correspondingly more active and difficult to approach so I took fewer photos and just enjoyed the experience, although I couldn’t resist trying for an open wing Brimstone shot as they took off from nectaring. Not entirely successful, my best attempt is below but one to practice I think,
Brimstone on take off...
Brimstone on take off...
Before driving down I had realised that although I have been coming here for a number of years now, I had only ever come to the side of the reserve to the north side of the M40 and never visited the south side. With the rest of the day free I decided to remedy this and move on to the other side for a look around...

Bye for now,

Neil

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Tuesday 29th July – Aston Rowant part 2.

Moving on to the south side of the reserve I parked up in the Cowleaze Wood car park and walked across the road onto the south-west facing slope of Bald hill. I took a slow wander along the slope and through a gate at the western end where there is a good view back across the M40 to Beacon Hill on the north side. By now a bit of cloud had built up but it was still warm and the butterflies were as active as ever in the early afternoon heat.
Looking across the M40 to Beacon Hill from Bald Hill
Looking across the M40 to Beacon Hill from Bald Hill
Silver-spotted Skippers were everywhere here in greater numbers than on the north side whereas Chalkhill Blues were in lower numbers, mostly concentrated towards the western end of the slope, just before the gate.
There were also good numbers of Common Blues here including the slightly worn but still very nice looking blue female below,
Common Blue female - Aston Rowant 29.07.2014
Common Blue female - Aston Rowant 29.07.2014
The big advantage of this side of the reserve is that, being a bit further from the M40, the constant drone of the traffic is much reduced and it is a more peaceful spot.
At least that would be the case most of the time, but at one point I became aware of an increasing sound that sounded like an approaching helicopter. Looking across towards Oxford I noticed a military helicopter (An RAF Merlin I think) heading towards the hill where it proceeded to circle around and start descending into the valley between Bald Hill and the next hill to the south.
For the next fifteen minutes or so it carried out a series of low altitude hovering and touch and go exercises in the field below where I was standing. I guess it was a training mission but for me it provided a noisy but interesting little episode with me looking down from my vantage point on the hillside.
Aston Rowant 29.07.2014 408 resize.JPG
Aston Rowant 29.07.2014 420 resize.JPG
Aston Rowant 29.07.2014 423 resize.JPG
Aston Rowant 29.07.2014 434 resize.JPG
After spending a couple of hours on this side I decided to head back up the M40 and detour off to Bernwood Meadows on the way…

Bye for now,

Neil.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Great reports Neil. That female Chalk Hill has to be an ab surely? .... and great action shot of the Brimstone. I even enjoyed the helicopter - wonder what they thought of being photographed, good job they didn't confiscate your camera :lol:

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Just catching up Neil as I got back from camping in Corfe. You've pulle doff some cracking shots in your last few posts, those Silver Spots and lush and those Small Coppers are fantastic even though I've seen a few 'blue spots' they were enough to make me feel "Pauline" with envy :wink: (Pauline if you read this - you'll find them at Shipton Bellinger this year I'm convinced - if you don't I'll buy you a beer at the social - win win :D ).
I agree that that Chalk Hill has to be an ab - I've never seen one that blue before :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Pauline, I did wonder about photographing the helicopter but figured they are probably used to it, they were in a public place after all :wink:
Cheers Wurzel, looking forward to your reports form Dorset. Looks like I may be down there again for another early September break :D

Tuesday 29th July – Bernwood Meadows

When heading back from Aston Rowant the past few years I usually stop off at Bernwood Meadows to see what is about, maybe a Brown Hairstreak if I am lucky. I had seen that BHs were beginning to be reported from Oxfordshire over the previous few days although I realised that I would be looking a bit late in the day, the best time apparently being late morning until early afternoon. I had however seen a nice female there later in the afternoon a few years ago, so you never know.

I arrived at Bernwood at about 3.00pm noticing immediately that the meadows had been cut, which I was half expecting. It appears that these meadows are usually cut sometime in late July; I have been here at about this time in previous years and most times the meadows have just been cut.
I wandered down the long narrow meadow next to the road checking the hedgerows and seeing the usual Meadow Browns and Gatekeepers, the latter making me do a double check every so often. There were also a few Marbled Whites and Common blues in the narrow strip of long grass by the hedges.

A few years back, after reading in a post on UKB about a load of Purple Hairstreaks in a straggly hawthorn at the end of this meadow, I had found some there myself and since then had always checked this hawthorn when visiting here, unfortunately without seeing any more Hairstreaks since that year(2011 I think).
Walking up to this hawthorn today I immediately noticed a few silvery shapes fluttering about and on closer inspection counted at least 7/8 Purple Hairstreaks flitting about and wandering around on the branches of the tree. There were also a few in the trees to each side making something like a dozen or more in this small area.
They were not easy to take photos of, sitting amongst the branches a few feet above my head, but in the end with a combination of reaching at full stretch, using the vari-angle screen on my FZ150, and a bit of flash, I managed to get some shots I was quite pleased with.
Purple Hairstreak - Bernwood Meadows 29.07.2014
Two Purple Hairstreaks - Bernwood Meadows 29.07.2014
Two Purple Hairstreaks - Bernwood Meadows 29.07.2014
At one point I watched as two individuals had a bit of a tussle over a disputed bit of branch and the victor literally picked the loser up off the branch and threw her off :shock: . I had never seen anything like this before, but it was interesting and quite amusing to watch.
Eyeing each other up...
Eyeing each other up...
heave...
heave...
off you go...
off you go...
enjoying the spoils of victory.
enjoying the spoils of victory.
I carried on checking the hedgerows for a while but unfortunately no Brown Hairstreaks today, but it is still early days and I was quite chuffed with the Purple Hairstreaks so it was well worth the stop off :D .

Bye for now,

Neil.

Rosalyn

Post by Rosalyn »

Nice informative reports Neil. Your Chalkhill F ab is fab :mrgreen:

William

Post by William »

Superb Purple Hairstreaks Neil, I was lucky enough to watch some up close in France, and when seen like that they are fascinating, and surprisingly sociable creatures.

BWs

William

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great shots Neil and interesting behaviour :D - Purple Hiarstreaks are a bit hit and miss for me so I definitely need to find a regular spot for them.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

I know the exact spot, Neil!! I think it was Michael Field who found sizeable numbers of them there three years ago.

It's hard enough getting a shot of a single Purple Hairstreak. Managing two is just plain greedy! :)

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Rosalyn, thanks for the comments, much appreciated :D
Hi William, I spent quite a while just watching their antics, quite entertaining when in a group like that :D
Hi Wurzel, they are usually more miss than hit for me as well, I only commented the other day in a previous post about taking a record shot of one when I had the chance and then a couple of days later...bingo :lol:
Hi David, you have jogged the memory cogs, it was indeed Michael who wrote a report on UKB in 2011 which prompted me to look there when I stopped off on the way back from Aston Rowant that year. I have looked there every year since but this year is the first that I have managed to repeat the experience :D

Cheers,

Neil.

millerd

Post by millerd »

Just catching up with your activities, Neil. It's high time I tried the southern part of Aston Rowant again and seeing your amazing hairstreaks might tempt me out further into Oxfordshire too. Brilliant pictures! :)

Dave

Return to “Personal Diaries”