Essex Skipper?

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
jasonbirder

Essex Skipper?

Post by jasonbirder »

Am I right in this ID...the black antenna tips (particularly the contrast from the brown stems of the antenna) make this an Essex Skipper rather than a Small?
Cheers!

ChrisC

Re: Essex Skipper?

Post by ChrisC »

i am suffering the same quandry. I got home from work today to find this little one egg laying in the front "lawn" if it is it will be a garden first. and at least the 8th breeding species for the garden with out a nettle in sight. Chuffed
skip.JPG
Essex Bertie

Post by Essex Bertie »

No one seems to be sticking their neck out on this one, so there's uncertainty with both.

I would say that Jason's is Essex Skipper, but not totally confident. The critical point is the underside of the antennae, which must be black with the Essex. The Small Skipper can be brown or orange, and the top sides can be any colour from brown to orange in both.

Chris' looks more like a Small Skipper - the near antennae looks to have a buff line under the dark topside, which would suggest a 'non-black' underside! The forewing underside also has that stronger contrast near the tip, which others might be able to elaborate on.

regards
Rob
David M

Post by David M »

I'm 90% confident the first is lineola.

The second is more ambiguous, but I would still lean towards Essex.
Tony Moore

Post by Tony Moore »

For what it's worth - not a lot - both look like Essex to me. The sandy colour of the second image looks more Essexy. Around Stafford, this year, about 90% of small-type skippers have been Essex - they seem to be taking over the territory - 10 years ago I never saw one in this area.

Tony M.

Return to “Identification”