Maximus

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Maximus

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic shots Mike :D :D , I would have been very envious if I hadn't have found my first Hedge Browns of 2014 on the same day :wink: What am I saying whilst I do have a 'thing ' for Hedge Browns they are no comparison for those Hiss Nibbs shots :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Can only concur with all the positive comments you've received Mike, excellent Daneway 'hol' report and your spot on about all the good things mentioned about the inn and the lovely countryside surrounding it, the Stroud Valleys are simply excellent for butterflies :) and hardy camping enthusiasts :wink:

Bill :D

"When in doubt...venture out"

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

I thoroughly enjoy your diary, Mike, particularly the Daneway Banks expedition under canvass. I haven't chanced camping in over 30 years- all I remember is getting about 30 minutes sleep the whole night and waking up in the morning with a bad back and having been eaten alive by mozzies..! But if I'd seen Large Blues the way you did I'd have been chuffed.

I think Stroud was where Laurie Lee grew up and where he set "Cider with Rosie", so I bet it's a beautiful part of the world.

Best Wishes,

Hoggers.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks Dave, the 'Gorilla's finger' must be a well used perch and feeding place for Chiddingfolds PE population :D

Thanks Pauline, glad you got your Emperor in the end :D

Cheers Pete, it was a great two days, finding the aberration was just a case of being in the right place, at the right time :D

Thanks Wurzel, I think Gatekeepers are brilliant butterflies :D

Thank you Bill, it's a wonderful area for butterflies, pubs and for sleeping under canvas :D :wink:

Thanks Hoggers, glad you enjoy my diary, the Daneway expedition under canvas was brilliant :D Yes there's the mozzies and bad backs, but the Large Blues are totally stunning, so more than make up for that :D
I know that 'Cider with Rosie' was set in the Cotswolds and it is indeed a very beautiful place, even in todays manic world :D

While we were waiting for the appearance of HIM at Chiddingfold we decided to have a look for Small Skippers. We not only found Small, our first of 2014, but also some Large Skippers in a grassy area at the side of one of the forest rides..

P1120876.JPGResize.JPG
P1120902.JPGResize.JPG
P1120912.JPGResize.JPG
Small Skipper
Small Skipper
P1120082.JPGResize.JPG
Large Skipper
Large Skipper

We are a present planning another expedition under canvas, in search of a butterfly we have yet to see in the UK...

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Mike,

Just catching up on your diary, some brilliant reports and superb photos lately :D :mrgreen: . Really enjoyed the Large Blues from Daneway Banks, that's one to think about for next year :wink:

Cheers,

Neil.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks Neil, I'm glad you enjoyed the Large Blues, they were a fantastic sight :D

Mike

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I am waiting with bated breath for your next report Mike - stop teasing :wink: :D . My imagination is running riot about what you have both been up to :lol: :lol:

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Hi Pauline, some great stuff and lovely photos in your PD recently :D will post soon and don't mean to be a tease :D :wink: :wink:

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking Skipper shots Mike :D I'm also wracking my brains as to which species you mean... :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Wrack no more Wurzel :D and wait no longer Pauline :D this is the species we went looking for, and found....

P1130208.jpgA.JPGResize.JPG

Report and further pictures to follow....

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Ah mystery over :D Cracking starting shot, looking forward to seeing more...

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks Wurzel, I've finally sorted through the photos, so here goes...

Heddon High Browns

Last week we decided to take our trusty tent and head for the hills - the Heddon Valley to be precise. The weather was looking promising so we thought we'd see if we could find the High Brown Fritillaries, a butterfly we had yet to see in the UK. Our only worry was that we may have left it too late, having seen Neil's posting a fortnight before when he reported good numbers of fresh looking High Browns there. We weren't sure if we'd find any in good condition, if at all, but we decided to take our chances anyway. We arrived at the campsite, which was only a couple of miles east of the valley, early Monday evening and set our tent up in a field overlooking the Bristol Channel and Port Talbot. It was a little too late to go looking for butterflies by the time we'd set up and had something to eat, so we relaxed outside the tent and enjoyed the view instead.
Tuesday morning was warm and sunny and so we drove to the Heddon Valley and parked outside the Hunter's Inn. We hadn't a clue where to look for the High Brown Frits really, so started off up the track which runs alongside the river and scoured every Bramble flower and patch of Cow Parsley hoping to see one. There were plenty of Meadow Browns, Ringlets and Silver-washed Fritillaries flying about, but no sign of any High Brown Frits at all. We did, however, see a rather stunning looking Comma along the way..

P1130093.JPGResize.JPG

Having been unsuccessful in our quest so far, we turned back down the path and came to a steep track leading up the side of the valley, which we found difficult to negotiate in the hot afternoon sun. We eventually reached a point above Heddon's Mouth where the track narrowed and curved around the coastline. We realised about halfway along that we were probably heading in the wrong direction, so turned back until we came to a bit of a scree-slope, which appeared to be the quickest way to the top. It was hard going through the dense bracken, but as we neared the top we saw our first High Brown Frits gliding above it, occasionally disappearing to nectar briefly on the low level bramble. They didn't stop long enough for us to get any photos, so we carried on up the slope and reached the path along the top. Although there were lots of nectar sources, we didn't see another High Brown Frit at all. By the time we reached the end of the path it had started to rain slightly, so we climbed back down the slope to the lane leading to the Hunter's Inn and just made it in time as there was then a heavy downpour. Fortunately we found an excellent pint of Exmoor Gold was good consolation for the lack of close encounters with the High Brown Frits. The views from the top of the slope were stunning, and we also had the odd encounter with some of the other wildlife there..

IMG_5322.JPGResize.JPG
IMG_5332.JPGResize.JPG
P1120321.JPGResize.JPG

Sitting by the camp fire that evening I had a look at my OS map of the area and found a footpath leading in another direction which looked like it might be promising. So the next morning found us on the woodland path with the river running alongside. Eventually we arrived at a meadow full of tall Cow Parsley and Thistles with lots of Bramble along the path edge. The first butterflies we saw in large numbers were Silver-washed Fritillaries and some Red Admirals, mainly nectaring on the Bramble.

P1120279.jpgA.JPGResize.JPG
P1120284.JPGResize.JPG
P1120352.JPGResize.JPG
P1120367.JPGResize.JPG
P1120375.JPGResize.JPG
P1130121.JPGResize.JPG

Venturing into the meadow we saw our first High Brown Fritillary of the day, a rather worn specimen jealously guarding his patch of Thistles. Apart from this one individual we saw another three, fresher specimens along with some rather worn Dark Green Fritillaries, but they were only stopping momentarily to nectar on the Bramble and then whizzing off again. We decided to move on after a couple of hours, searching every likely looking spot along the lane, but we only saw one more HIgh Brown Frit and a number of Silver-washed Frits. We decided a change of plan was needed and so set off along another track we found, heading uphill once more. After a half mile steep climb the landscape opened out to a large area covered in bracken where we immediately started finding High Brown Frits nectaring on the abundant Bramble flowers. As it was by now late afternoon and the temperature had dropped a couple of degrees we found them settling long enough for some photo opportunities..

P1130253.JPGResize.JPG
P1130255.JPGResize.JPG
P1130214.JPGResize.JPG
P1130269.JPGResize.JPG
P1130213.JPGResize.JPG
P1130287.JPGResize.JPG
P1130215.JPGResize.JPG
P1130210.JPGResize.JPG
We also saw this handsome Hare along the way
We also saw this handsome Hare along the way

The following day was another scorcher, and so we got off early to the valley and searched the same places again hoping for a repeat of yesterday's success. However, the High Brown Frits weren't having any of it, and probably due to the hot sunshine weren't settlng at all. We did, however, manage to find a mating pair of Large Skippers and, rather surprisingly, a worn Green Hairstreak while we were there..

P1130332.JPGResize.JPG
P1120535.JPGResize.JPG
A very dark looking Broad-bodied Chaser, I think
A very dark looking Broad-bodied Chaser, I think

As we realised there was no hope of getting any further photos of the High Brown Frits we thought we would take a drive to Bin Combe in Somerset to see if we could find any Heath Fritillaries instead. We arrived in Dunkery Lane and parked up by the bridge where we walked down the track, through the gate and down into the Combe, a long descent in hot conditions. There were plenty of butterflies along the way which made the walk more bearable, but with the time racing on we didn't stop to take any pictures. When we reached the bottom we entered a beautiful wooded valley with open sunny glades, just the sort of place you'd expect to find a Heath Fritillary, but the only fritillaries we saw were Silver-washed. Once again, we had no idea exactly where to look for the Heath Frits so we searched every open glade, eventually reaching a gate with a promising looking area beyond. While we were scrutinising every Fritillary on the large expanse of Bramble just inside the gate we saw a much smaller Fritillary glide over our heads and fly down the path away from us. We followed it to the gate where it promptly did an about turn and flew back past us where we managed to get a better view of it at closer range, identifying it as a rather worn looking Heath Fritillary. Unfortunately, it didn't remain in the area, taking flight over the bramble and disappearing out of sight, so we weren't even able to get a record shot of it. What surprised us the most was that there didn't seem to be any Cow-wheat in any of the areas we looked, so perhaps we weren't in the correct spot. Anyway, we cooled ourselves down by splashing some ice cold water on our faces from a crystal clear stream, which was full of trout, which ran through the woodland, then made the gruelling climb back up out of the Combe, reaching the road at a point about a mile from where we'd parked our car. We had our final pint of Exmoor Stag in the Hunter's Inn before heading back to camp, our last night there, as we were heading off to Lulworth Cove the following morning...

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Great report and photos from the Heddon Valley Mike, I recognise some of the spots you describe from when I was there last year, particularly the meadow with the tall cow parsley and thistles with brambles along the path. UK member Rodgerdodge pointed me towards that spot which was where I took some of my best photos. If I remember correctly I was there a bit earlier last year, first week in July I think.

We also took a drive out to Bin Combe, not a place to be climbing out of on a hot day :shock:

The other advantage of staying at the Hunters Inn for a few days is that you have plenty of time to sample the different Exmoor Ales, purely for research of course :wink:

Cheers,

Neil

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Excellent reportage/shots Mike and really glad that you got your target :D I wonder what you found at Lulworth :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Yes Neil, Bin Combe was a hard slog in and out. I agree that Exmoor Ales are great indeed, for research purposes only of course :D :wink:

Mike

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks Wurzel, yes Lulworth is a great place, and we certainly found what we were looking for :D

Mike

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Following our success in finding the High Brown Fritillary at Heddon, we set off early the next morning in order to spend a day at Lulworth on our way home.
Mid morning found us climbing up the steep path and onto Bindon Hill, and as we climbed over the stile at the top of the path we entered a hillside covered with a profusion of wild flowers. We immediatly saw what we initiallly thought were Lulworth Skippers, but on closer inspection found they were Small skippers. Further along the path we saw our first Chalkhill Blues of 2014, the only two we were to see during our visit.

P1130508.JPGResize.JPG
P1130388.JPGResize.JPG

It wasn't until we were at a point right above the cove that we suddenly spotted our first Lulworth Skippers, busy nectaring on Wild Marjoram and Scabious.

P1130456.JPGResize.JPG
P1130463.JPGResize.JPG
P1130437.JPGResize.JPG
P1130480.JPGResize.JPG
P1130512.JPGResize.JPG
A poor photo, but Peregrine  Falcons over Lulworth Copve
A poor photo, but Peregrine Falcons over Lulworth Copve

As we were watching the Lulworths we saw a Dark Green Fritillary go speeding by and on up the hill. We followed it up the hillside and found many more of them flying amongst the tall grass. However, trying to get a photo was almost impossible, but we then spotted a mating pair flying just above the grass and watched as they landed in a small Gorse bush nearby. We gave them time to settle before moving closer for a photograph. What struck us most was their fabuolous condition, the male in particular was stunning with ink black markings, how very different to the faded ones we had seen at Heddon. We also saw some fantastic Hedge Browns which were in tip-top condition.

P1130412.JPGResize.JPG
P1130514.JPGResize.JPG
P1130518.JPGResize.JPG

We probably saw about a dozen Lulworth Skippers, certainly a great place to stop off at, Lulworth never seems to disappoint :D

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

So many great shots in recent posts Mike that it is hard to single any out! Obviously HBF but some nice Skippers (Small and Lulworth), nice DGF Mating pair, great scenery shots and I just love the Hare! Looks like you've been having a smashing time :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Great report and photos from Lulworth :D

Those steps are making my legs ache just thinking about them now, mind you I stopped loads of times on the way up to admire the view and look at the butterflies :wink: . I actually found more Lulworth Skippers lower down, where the steeper section of steps start, than I did up on the hill.

Looks like I was a few days too early for the Chalkhills, never mind, can't have everything :wink:

Cheers,

Neil.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great report and shots of my favourite butterfly the Lulworth Skipper :D Hopefully there will still be some around in about a fortnight when I take the family camping back to my old haunts on the Isle of Purbeck, I see you made it up Bindon but I always find it easier to check out the top of the car park. Much less scenic but still delivers the goods butterfly wise. :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”