Mountain ringlet in cumbria

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
AJSteele

Mountain ringlet in cumbria

Post by AJSteele »

Thinking of going for this next week weather permitting as iam in the area but haven't gone looking for them before if people could suggest good sites and area to catch up the species would be most graceful as i see a few sighting have been reported on the cumbria butterfly website

many thanks
lee3764

Re: Mountain ringlet in cumbria

Post by lee3764 »

Try the Honister Pass......Park in visitor centre of Slate Quarry and walk up behind it on the footpath (bit steep to begin with) and eventually you'll come to a ruined engine house after 1KM or so but then turn left on an obvious footpath where it will only go uphill gradually and you will start to see them in or just above the Mat Grass areas but only in sunshine! We had 3 in a short period of sunshine on Saturday 5th July and my 10 year old son, Robert has then reached the milestone of 57 different species on British Butterfly species now seen in the wild in Britain!! Hope you have some luck! Cheers...........Lee & Robert Slaughter (Cornwall).
Last edited by lee3764 on Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John W

Post by John W »

lee3764 wrote:Try the Hardknott Pass......Park in visitor centre of Slate Quarry
I think Lee might mean Honister Pass instead of Hardknott Pass. At least that's where I saw them a couple of years ago.

Cheers
John
sifenn

Post by sifenn »

I found my first MRs at Irton Fell a couple of summers ago. Parked by Irton Pike and then followed path in a NE direction towards Whin Rigg; started to see them around the 450mtr contour. I found that I had to try to track them in the sun and watch where they came down as a cloud came over to have any chance of a closer view or photo opportunity. Happy hunting.

Simon
lee3764

Post by lee3764 »

John W wrote:
lee3764 wrote:Try the Hardknott Pass......Park in visitor centre of Slate Quarry
I think Lee might mean Honister Pass instead of Hardknott Pass. At least that's where I saw them a couple of years ago.

Cheers
John
Errrrrr.....Sorry...I did mean Honister Pass! I'm sure they will be finished at Irton Fell but am pretty confident that Honister Pass should still be frequented by a few later flying Mountain Ringlets! Pray for sunshine though! You will not find them without sunshine up in the mountains!
Cheers again,
Lee & Robert in Cornwall.
MarkIvan

Post by MarkIvan »

Hi,

I've just spent the week in Cumbria. There is some good information on the Cumbria BC website http://www.cumbria-butterflies.org.uk/s ... inglet.htm

I went to Honister Pass using this guide : http://www.cumbria-butterflies.org.uk/s ... nistor.pdf

Saw about 50 around Grey Knotts and Brandreth, most of them being higher up last Monday (7th).

Also visited Kidsty Pike/High Raise from Haweswater on Thursday and saw approx. 35.

I got the impression that the Irton Fell colony is an early one and maybe over by now.

Good Luck

Mark.
AJSteele

Post by AJSteele »

many thanks for the tips

Return to “Sites”