False Apollo

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Pauline

Re: False Apollo

Post by Pauline »

Wow! That is simply beautiful and in fine condition - seems like Dorset is the place to be :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
False Apollo

Post by False Apollo »

Hi Pauline,
Yes I wish I could have seen it myself. Apparently Peter was searching for the Swallowtails at the time. Incredibly rare to see this form. I cannot recall this form being found in the recent invasion years, but I could be wrong.

Regards
Mike

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
dilettante

Post by dilettante »

Amazing aberration - hard to believe it's the same species.

David M

Post by David M »

What a cracking find! Absolutely amazing.

False Apollo

Post by False Apollo »

On 15th July I visited the location on Purbeck, Dorset, where the Painted Lady aberration var rogeri had been recently seen. I had been told not to reveal the location where it had been seen by finder Peter Moore, Steve Smith and Dr Phil Stirling, Dorset Conservation Officer, whose wishes I naturally respected as it would be highly sought after by collectors. I believe this aberration is a temperature induced form which is extremely rare in the wild, but can be induced in captivity.
It did not take me long to find this glorious butterfly as it seemed more confiding than the typical form of Painted Lady. It hardly strayed away from it's favourite bramble bush all afternoon and was busy nectaring, occasionally dashing off or vanishing as it was well camouflaged when it closed it's wings. Later in the afternoon it moved onto the grass as the sun was less strong, basking and resting before a later visit to the brambles.
I also saw a couple of Painted Ladies hurtling north, which made it all the more remarkable that this individual had stayed put for at least 3 days.
I really hope it was not collected as I know a couple of other butterfly enthusiasts saw me watching it and I asked them to keep it quiet due to it's prestige value to collectors. I believe it was not seen after 15th July.
I make no excuse for going a bit overboard with the photos!
This was an experience I will treasure and an everlasting memory of the summer of 2014.

Regards
Mike
Attachments
var rogeri
var rogeri
var rogeri
var rogeri
var rogeri underside
var rogeri underside
var rogeri
var rogeri
var rogeri
var rogeri
var rogeri underside
var rogeri underside
var rogeri
var rogeri
var rogeri
var rogeri

Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

Great shots, Mike :D. A very rare find

Could you add them to the Species-Specific Album when you get time please.

Vince

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

To see something that rare and get such brilliant photos of it ... Very special!

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Well done Mike. Stunning photos of a stunning butterfly.

All the best, Nick.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

I have to agree with all the other comments Mike, a stunning butterfly and great photos :D

Cheers,

Neil.

David M

Post by David M »

Absolutely incredible specimen. Had I seen that without prior warning I think I would have risked cardiac arrest!!

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Wow! :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: That is a real corker of a butterfly Mike :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

False Apollo

Post by False Apollo »

Brown Hairstreak 1/8/14
Brown Hairstreak 1/8/14
I visited Shipton Bellenger yesterday in cloudy overcast conditions to look for Brown Hairstreaks. It took a while to see any, but around 13.00 it warmed up as the sun peeped out and I saw a beautiful female nectaring on bramble, then a male appeared. At on point they were about a foot apart on the bramble. Another 2 males showed during the afternoon, all were very approachable. After their fill of bramble nectar the female and 2 of the males had a well earned rest on the surrounding foliage, allowing me to get some snaps. One male and the female were pretty fresh.
I was a bit disappointed that a lot of the hedgerow bramble had been crashed into and flattened by previous photographers, I have not seen it this bad before.

Regards
Mike
Attachments
Brown Hairstreak 1/8/14
Brown Hairstreak 1/8/14
Brown Hairstreak 1/8/14
Brown Hairstreak 1/8/14
Brown Hairstreak 1/8/14
Brown Hairstreak 1/8/14
Brown Hairstreak 1/8/14
Brown Hairstreak 1/8/14

David M

Post by David M »

They are so beautiful when fresh like that. Well done, Mike.

False Apollo

Post by False Apollo »

Thanks David,
I always think that Brown Hairstreaks are a fitting end to the main butterfly season. There is always the Clouded Yellow autumn to look forward to though! Thanks to all regarding comments on the Painted Lady aberration also.

Regards
Mike

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking Brostreak Mike :D It seems weird that the season is almost over yet I'm just starting my holiday :shock: I hope there will be some left in about a weeks time when I can get at them.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

False Apollo

Post by False Apollo »

Hi Wurzel,
From what I have seen Brown Hairstreak wise, I'm sure you will be spot on when you start your holiday, especially for the females. They are not as advanced as I thought they would be considering the hot weather which should mean they will be on the wing for some time yet, cooler weather should prolong the time they stay in good condition for longer as well. Good luck.

Regards
Mike

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers for the reassurance Mike :D I checked the weather reports and this week is going to be cooler and wetter than of late so that bodes well - one of teh few times I'm hoping for bad weather :shock: :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

False Apollo

Post by False Apollo »

This is the time of year when our legendary strawberry tree comes into flower, and on a sunny day like today the magic happens. Around 6 Red Admirals were nectaring on and off, a Peacock and Speckled Wood. The Red Admirals were soaring around the garden like Purple Emperors in July. The tree is only in flower for a short period, so with the weather the butterflies arrive, ignoring the buddleias and it is quite a sight.
After a morning in the garden, I ventured out to Southbourne Undercliff , before it clouded over later, the weather was near perfect. I saw around 30 Clouded Yellows of varying condition, but mostly fresh, the best though was a pristine helice which was very large and distinctive. Large Whites were everywhere, over 100 with smaller numbers of Small Whites. Also Common Blues, 1 male, I blue female, 2 Red Admirals and a probable Small Tortoiseshell.
Attachments
Common Blue female (blue form)
Common Blue female (blue form)
The Strawberry Tree
The Strawberry Tree
Red Admirals on Strawberry Tree
Red Admirals on Strawberry Tree
Speckled Wood on Strawberry Tree
Speckled Wood on Strawberry Tree
Peacock on Strawberry Tree
Peacock on Strawberry Tree
Female Clouded Yellow, helice form
Female Clouded Yellow, helice form

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That Helice is absolutely fantastic Mike :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I'll definitely have to try and swing a trip back to Dorset to try and get me one of those :)

Have a goodun

Wurzel

False Apollo

Post by False Apollo »

The next couple of weeks look good for a visit to the coast. The Clouded Yellows are probably a mixture of new arrivals and progeny of those arriving earlier, as are the Large Whites. The Large Whites are quite a spectacle, all along the undercliff. I saw a pair in cop on the slope, so adults should be around until the frosts and maybe the larvae will have a successful outcome. . The Clouded Yellows could try overwintering again. In fact the autumn looks bright, in fact it looks yellow!

Regards
Mike

Return to “Personal Diaries”