MikeOxon

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
MikeOxon

Re: MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

I've probably misled you over technical terms, CJB. A hibernaculum is strictly a place where creatures such as bats hibernate. Although I've used it for these webs, it's not accurate and I think they should be called 'larval webs'. I'll edit it out of my post! You are getting to know the site better than I do, since I was not aware of a gate by the Inn :)

Mike

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Following my initial report on my last visit to Daneway Banks (26th June), I spent a wet afternoon, yesterday, working through all the photos that I had taken of the mating pair of Large Blues. I found that I had taken 65 photos of the pair, with the Nikon, and 43 with the Lumix. The Nikon pics were all in RAW (NEF) format, whereas I am, so far, only taking JPEGs with the Lumix.

My first step is to view each of the on-screen images and 'weed out' all those that are obviously out-of-focus or motion-blurred, as well as those where foreground grasses have obscured the image. Occasionally, I grant a 'reprieve' for an image that shows some particularly interesting aspect of the subject.

For the Nikon images, I then use my RAW converter software to adjust colour balance and exposure, before comparing the many very similar images at 1:1 size, to select the best out of these groups. After making this selection, I convert the remaining RAW images to JPEG format and file away the RAW originals. For the Lumix images, I copy the original images to a separate folder, where I make a more detailed selection, viewing the images at 1:1 size. Again, I file away the originals, knowing that I can re-visit any particular image, if I decide that I have been too Draconian in my second selection. I work on the basis that hard-disk storage space is now very cheap and there is no need to risk deleting an image that may later turn out to show an interesting detail. By this stage, I had 19 Nikon images and 15 Lumix images to choose from.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I was experimenting with various different camera settings, so I kept several of the images just so that I could study the effects of choosing different apertures and shutter speeds, as well as the effects of using flash. Although I have a pretty good idea of what to expect, when using the Nikon, I am still 'feeling my way' with the Lumix.

I felt that I had achieved the best results when using a little fill-in' flash with the Nikon. I was particularly pleased to find that, although I was travelling light and had not brought my separate SB 600 flashgun, the on-camera flash of the Nikon did a good job in bringing out the 'sparkle' in the dusting of coloured scales on the undersides of the wings. The difference in colour between the male (bluer) and the female (greener) is very clear in the following photo (click on the image to enlarge, to see scale detail).
    Daneway Banks - 26th June 2014 (5:15pm, dull cloudy conditions)<br />Nikon D300s with 90mm Tamron macro lens + 1.4X converter - 1/180s@f/9.5 (manual setting) ISO400, with flash
    Daneway Banks - 26th June 2014 (5:15pm, dull cloudy conditions)
    Nikon D300s with 90mm Tamron macro lens + 1.4X converter - 1/180s@f/9.5 (manual setting) ISO400, with flash
    The above photo also shows that the entrance to the 'corpus bursae', where the sperm packet is stored inside the female, is some distance from the tip of her abdomen.

My attempts to use flash on the Lumix were far less successful, resulting in very 'artificial' jet black backgrounds. I attribute the lack of success to my being much less familiar with the camera, the low power of the built-in flash, and the limited dynamic range of the Lumix sensor. Only time will tell how well I can overcome these limitations.

Over the time period that I was observing these butterflies, they were far from static, constantly rotating around one another on the flower head. It was only on examining all my photos that I realised that, in the initial photos, the male was in the upper position, whereas they had reversed in the later shots. It's all too easy to miss such observations when they eye is 'glued' to a viewfinder, concentrating on holding composition and focus!
    Daneway Banks - 26th June 2014
    Daneway Banks - 26th June 2014
    In the above sequence, the first three images (L-R) are from the Nikon, with the last from the Lumix. The Lumix tends to over-emphasise blue colours, especially in shadow areas, so I have attempted to match the colour balance in Photoshop.

My apologies to those who are not interested in all this 'techie' photographic detail but I find it useful to document my experiences, especially when working with a new and unfamiliar camera.

Mike

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
    badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Great stuff Mike. Love the mating pair.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I am most certainly interested in you 'techie' details Mike so please don't stop providing them. I was about to compliment you on your female Marbled White ..... and then I saw the mating Large Blues. All I can say is Wow! Great find and great shots - and very interesting explanation :D

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Many thanks, badgerbob and Pauline. I felt very privileged to be given an extended private audience with this pair. Of course, I was secretly hoping that they would separate and then bask with open wings for a while :) I do hope that they coped with the adverse weather that arrived just as I left.

Writing this PD has fired me up, to try a bit harder to understand these creatures better, in all their life stages. On my own website, I have noticed that the vast majority of 'hits' are on my 'orchids' pages. I need to learn a lot more about those too, as I only started photographing them because there are several rare species found in Oxfordshire. Amongst these is the most enigmatic of all, the Ghost Orchid (Epipogium aphyllum), which has not been seen locally for many years. Indeed, the plant had just been declared extinct in Britain, when one popped up in the West Midlands! You have to admire a plant like that :D

Mike

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

This afternoon (3rd July), my wife and I took our bikes for a gentle ride through Bernwood Forest, starting from the Oakley Wood car-park at SP611116. It's an easy start along the main ride, with a steady descent for the first 500m or so.. After that, the route is more undulating but always over a good gravel surface, with easy going.

From the outset, there were plenty of butterflies along the verges on either side of the ride: Meadow Browns, Ringlets, and myriads of bright Large Skippers, often spiralling upwards in groups of three or four.
    Bernwood Forest, Oxon - 3rd July 2014<br />Lumix FZ200 at full zoom - 1/500s @ f/4 ISO200
    Bernwood Forest, Oxon - 3rd July 2014
    Lumix FZ200 at full zoom - 1/500s @ f/4 ISO200
    Soon, we started to see other, much larger, bright orange butterflies and l looked for one of their nectaring spots in a clump of brambles. These were my first Silver-washed Fritillaries this year and I was pleased to see them present in good numbers. My initial attempts at photography were thwarted when another, similarly coloured butterfly, engaged in combat and then settled on a shrub nearby, presumably resting after driving off the larger intruders! This Comma was particularly brightly coloured:
    Bernwood Forest, Oxon - 3rd July 2014<br />Lumix FZ200 at full zoom - 1/500s @ f/5 ISO200
    Lumix FZ200 at full zoom - 1/500s @ f/5 ISO200
    A female Silver-washed Fritillary soon returned and spent some time feeding on the bramble flowers, obligingly showing both her top side and the wonderful streaked underwings.
    Bernwood Forest, Oxon - 3rd July 2014<br />Lumix FZ200 at 98mm fl - 1/320s @ f/4 ISO200
    Lumix FZ200 at 98mm fl - 1/320s @ f/4 ISO200
    Bernwood Forest, Oxon - 3rd July 2014<br />Lumix FZ200 at 93mm fl - 1/160s @ f/5 ISO200
    Lumix FZ200 at 93mm fl - 1/160s @ f/5 ISO200
    In my second shot, the butterfly seems to have navigated successfully around a minefield of spiders webs!

No sign of Purple Emperor on this trip but I'm sure they'll be around soon.

For those interested in the white Starlings, I can report that one of the youngsters is a regular, daily visitor to my garden, while the other puts in more occasional appearances. The adult bird seems to have left the area, which was her usual pattern in earlier years. Encounters between the siblings are not always friendly, as this snapshot, taken yesterday, demonstrates!
    Abingdon, Oxon - 2nd July 2014<br />Lumix FZ200 at full zoom - 1/60s @ f/2.8 ISO200
    Abingdon, Oxon - 2nd July 2014
    Lumix FZ200 at full zoom - 1/60s @ f/2.8 ISO200
    Mike

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Good to have a Starling update Mike and great shot as usual. I also like the composition of the Large Skipper shot :D (Hark at me - sounds like I know what I'm talking about :lol: :lol: !)

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Thank you, Pauline. I always value your comments highly.

I rather liked that Skipper shot, too. I was taking my opportunity while one was actually stationary for a few moments!

Mike

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Great to see 'your' Starlings are doing okay Mike :wink:

Interesting overview of your DSLR/Lumix experiences, its always good to know what other users are finding out about their photo gear.

BW's

Bill :D

"When in doubt...venture out"

Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
    MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Yesterday's (12th July) hot and sultry afternoon saw me, once again, visiting the Roman Road on Otmoor, Oxon. I found it very quiet and it seemed that all sensible creatures had taken cover from the hot sun. What's that about mad dogs and Englishmen?

My first encounter was with a Red Admiral basking low down and, seemingly, far too lazy to move when I approached for a photo:
    Otmoor, Oxon - 12th July2014<br />Nikon D300s with 90mm Tamron macro - 1/180s@f/6.7 ISO400
    Otmoor, Oxon - 12th July2014
    Nikon D300s with 90mm Tamron macro - 1/180s@f/6.7 ISO400
    Otherwise, almost all the butterfly activity was from Skippers - still mainly Large Skippers at this location:
    Otmoor, Oxon - 12th July2014<br />Nikon D300s with 90mm Tamron macro - 1/180s@f/8 ISO400
    Nikon D300s with 90mm Tamron macro - 1/180s@f/8 ISO400
    A few Meadow Browns flapped lazily amongst the foliage and some very bright Commas patrolled the ride, between rests - I rather liked this pose on the end-nibbled stalk.
    Otmoor, Oxon - 12th July2014<br />Nikon D300s with 90mm Tamron macro - 1/180s@f/8 ISO400
    Nikon D300s with 90mm Tamron macro - 1/180s@f/8 ISO400
    There was the sound of machinery from a field over the tree-lined hedge along one side of the ride - possibly mowing - and it seemed to be disturbing the local Red Kite population, of which several were wheeling overhead and constantly calling. They sometimes landed in the tallest of the Oak trees and, fortuitously, I snapped two having a 'brief encounter' just above the ride. I had the macro lens on the camera which, in this case, was fortunate, since I would not have fitted the action into the frame with a longer lens! (as usual, click on image to enlarge)
    Otmoor, Oxon - 12th July2014<br />Nikon D300s with 90mm Tamron macro - 1/750s@f/13 ISO400
    Nikon D300s with 90mm Tamron macro - 1/750s@f/13 ISO400
    Horse Flies were out in force but, fortunately, seemed more interested in my lens-hood than my skin. Don't be lured by the kaleidoscope eyes - this creature is after your blood! This one must have thought it had found a very thick black hide.
    Otmoor, Oxon - 12th July2014<br />Nikon D300s with 90mm Tamron macro - 1/90s@f/8 ISO800
    Nikon D300s with 90mm Tamron macro - 1/90s@f/8 ISO800
    This really was one of those lazy, hazy days of Summer, to a sound track from two Turtle Doves purring gently in the trees.

Mike

Wurzel
    Stock Contributor
    Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Just doing some catching up Mike - great to see the Starlings are doing well. Great H.Comma and Red Kite shots :D This post took me a bit longer to type than expected as I got caught by those eyes :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Some great photos there Mike :D

Those eyes almost divert the attention away from the vicious looking mouthparts...almost :wink:

Cheers,

Neil.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

A fantastic shot of the Red Kites Mike :mrgreen: - tho I notice you didn't take it with the Lumix :lol: Having said that I seem to remember that NeilF has taken some pretty good bird shots with a Lumix so I need to get out there and give it a go!

PhilBJohnson

Post by PhilBJohnson »

Hi Mike,
    I am also loving your pictures & that you display the ISO, F number & Shutter speed making it easier for people like me to learn,

Best Wishes,

Philip "P mode" Wright :D

Kind Regards,
    Mike Robinson

Post by Mike Robinson »

I do like the large Skippers.
    Possibly since I don't really need to think too much when I see them; which is not quite the case with sightings of Small or Essex Skippers!

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

:D Thanks for the appreciative comments.

On Monday (14th July) I paid a quick visit to the New Forest to see if I could find the elusive Bog Orchid. I was pleased to see and photograph several of these tiny plants - not at all spectacular but a challenge to find!
    Bog Orchid, New Forest - 14th July 2014<br />Nikon D300s with Tamron 90mm macro lens - 1/125s@f/9.5 ISO400
    Bog Orchid, New Forest - 14th July 2014
    Nikon D300s with Tamron 90mm macro lens - 1/125s@f/9.5 ISO400
    I found myself in the vicinity of Lough Down (Lardon Chase) near Streatley this afternoon (17th July), so looked in to see what was on the wing. This Down rises steeply above Streatley on the opposite side of the River Thames from Goring, with splendid views across the 'Goring Gap'.
    View from Lough Down - 17th July 2014<br />Lumix FZ200 - 1/1600@f/5.6 ISO160
    View from Lough Down - 17th July 2014
    Lumix FZ200 - 1/1600@f/5.6 ISO160
    The grassy slopes were generously dotted with marjoram, providing feeding stops for a host of Chalk Hill Blue butterflies - to describe these as abundant would be an understatement. I have read the post by nomad at viewtopic.php?t=7747&start=10000 concerning sighting of a Silver-studded Blue lower down on the slope, so I made my way down to the coarser grasses, keeping my eyes peeled for any darker blues. Alas, all those that I followed were Common Blues. There were, however, good numbers of Small Tortoiseshells and Peacocks on these lower areas of the Down. Despite being the most common of our three ( :D ) Tortoiseshells, these remain one of our most beautiful butterflies, in my opinion. I assume my photo is of a female, with a very distended abdomen.
    Lough Down, Berks - 17th July 2014<br />Nikon D300s with Tamron 90mm macro lens - 1/180s@f/9.5 ISO400
    Lough Down, Berks - 17th July 2014
    Nikon D300s with Tamron 90mm macro lens - 1/180s@f/9.5 ISO400
    Returning to the slopes, there were a few Marbled Whites and several Meadow Browns amongst the Chalk Hill Blues. Skippers seemed absent. I photographed one particularly strongly marked female Chalk Hill Blue - note the broad dark markings in the fringes on the wings.
    Lough Down, Berks - 17th July 2014<br />Nikon D300s with Tamron 90mm macro lens - 1/750s@f/6.7 ISO400
    Nikon D300s with Tamron 90mm macro lens - 1/750s@f/6.7 ISO400
    When she opened her wings, a purple-green iridescent sheen towards the outer edges of the forewings was very noticeable and I am pleased to see that this feature is visible in the photograph. The photograph, below, also shows patches of pale-coloured scales near the centres of the wings that I have not noticed before.
    Lough Down, Berks - 17th July 2014<br />Nikon D300s with Tamron 90mm macro lens - 1/250s@f/11 ISO400
    Nikon D300s with Tamron 90mm macro lens - 1/250s@f/11 ISO400

Mike

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Yesterday afternoon, 22nd July, found my wife and I sitting on the sun-drenched slope at Aston Rowant NNR, watching the butterflies skipping from one flower head to the next. It's an enjoyable walk down the path from the car-park, flanked by tall spires of Rosebay Willowherb, with a glimpse of the viewpoint ahead to enhance anticipation:
    Aston Rowant NNR - 22nd July 2014<br />Lumix FZ200 - 1/160s@f/4 ISO160
    Aston Rowant NNR - 22nd July 2014
    Lumix FZ200 - 1/160s@f/4 ISO160
    An easy path then follows the upper part of the slope, almost on the level. My current photographic modus operandi finds me using the Lumix FZ200 for general shots and during the 'walk in', as I establish which species are present.

At first, the dominant skipper species along the upper path was Small Skipper, together with Meadow Browns, and a few Gatekeepers and Commas.
    Aston Rowant NNR - 22nd July 2014<br />Lumix FZ200 - 1/500s@f/4 ISO160
    Lumix FZ200 - 1/500s@f/4 ISO160
    There seems to be a sort of 'Wallace Line', where Silver-spotted Skippers suddenly take over from their Small cousins (actually, it corresponds to the taller vegetation being replaced by the sheep-nibbled grass of the main slope). These 'mowing machines' were much in evidence, making their way in a flock steadily across the slope.

At first, there seemed to be few visible butterflies but, as I got my eye in, it became apparent that, in fact, quite large numbers of Silver-spotted Skippers were darting rapidly between the Field Scabious flower heads, in short, fast, low-level flights. The easiest way to photograph them was to set up near a cluster of these flowers and wait for one to arrive, which usually just took a few minutes.
    Aston Rowant NNR - 22nd July 2014<br />Nikon D300s with Tamron 90mm macro lens + 1.4x TC - 1/180s@f/13 ISO400
    Nikon D300s with Tamron 90mm macro lens + 1.4x TC - 1/180s@f/13 ISO400
    Aston Rowant NNR - 22nd July 2014<br />Nikon D300s with Tamron 90mm macro lens + 1.4x TC - 1/180s@f/13 ISO400
    Chalk Hill Blues were also present, though by no means as abundant as I had found on Lough Down, a few days earlier. A few Small Tortoiseshells were visiting the flowers and sparked occasional confrontations with the Skippers. As well as visiting the flowers, both the Chalk Hill Blues and the Silver-spotted Skippers liked to rest on patches of bare earth. Judging by the large eyes, this is a male showing his interesting selection of grooming tools on the forelegs.
    For me, the drawback of this site is the constant drone from the ever-present traffic on the M40 motorway at the foot of the slope, so we decided to move to a quieter area of the reserve. While walking back, I spotted a Silver-spotted Skipper resting on the path. It proved remarkably 'bomb proof', so I took the opportunity to try several different photographic approaches, using the Lumix camera. I should really have used a close-up lens but, without it, I found that the focus confirmation in the viewfinder can be very misleading. Several times, I got the green symbol when I was actually slightly too close! The best results seemed to be obtained at intermediate focal length settings. This time it's a female, with smaller eyes and distended abdomen.
    Aston Rowant NNR - 22nd July 2014<br />Lumix FZ200 fl 20mm (112mm equiv) - 1/1600s@f/4 ISO100
    Lumix FZ200 fl 20mm (112mm equiv) - 1/1600s@f/4 ISO100
    We moved on to the part of the reserve that lies on the opposite side of the motorway. This side, across the road from the Cowleaze Wood car park, was much quieter and also had good numbers of Silver-spotted Skippers on the South-West facing slope. There are several shady seats under the trees along the top of the slope, which make excellent viewing places. As well as butterflies, this area is notable for wild orchids and I was very pleased to find the flower spikes of several Frog Orchids.
    Aston Rowant NNR - 22nd July 2014<br />Nikon D300s with Tamron 90mm macro lens + 1.4x TC - 1/125s@f/11 ISO400
    Nikon D300s with Tamron 90mm macro lens + 1.4x TC - 1/125s@f/11 ISO400
    The view to the west includes the soon-to-be-demolished Didcot Power Station, seen through the heat haze over the Oxfordshire plain.
    Aston Rowant NNR - 22nd July 2014<br />Lumix FZ200 - 1/1600s@f/4 ISO100
    Lumix FZ200 - 1/1600s@f/4 ISO100
    Mike

Wurzel
    Stock Contributor
    Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking Silver Spots Mike :D :mrgreen: Where abouts in the New Forest did you find the Bog Orchid - I'd be interested in making a trip to see if I can find some too :)

Have a goodun

Wurzel

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Pleased you liked the SSSkippers, Wurzel. For photography, it's much easier to wait for them to come to you, rather than the pretty hopeless task of chasing them :) I'll PM you re. the orchids.

Mike

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

After reading several reports of Brown Hairstreak sightings around Otmoor, I visited the Roman Road yesterday afternoon (29th July). I had no luck with BH although there were plenty of 'decoys' in the form of Gatekeepers:
    Otmoor, Oxon - 29th July 2014<br />Nikon D300s with Tamron 90mm macro+ 1.4X TC - 1/180s@f/9.5 ISO400
    Otmoor, Oxon - 29th July 2014
    Nikon D300s with Tamron 90mm macro+ 1.4X TC - 1/180s@f/9.5 ISO400
    It seems curious how, on one day, there can be loads of butterflies feeding low down and then, on a seemingly similar day, there are none. I had such an experience last year, when every thistle head along the Roman Road seemed to have its Brown Hairstreak, whereas two days later, I saw none! Plenty of time yet for a good experience this year!

I followed a weakly-flying darker butterfly, to find it was a rather aged Ringlet that seemed to have a problem with its proboscis!
    Otmoor, Oxon - 29th July 2014<br />Nikon D300s with Tamron 90mm macro+ 1.4X TC - 1/90s@f/6.7 ISO400
    Nikon D300s with Tamron 90mm macro+ 1.4X TC - 1/90s@f/6.7 ISO400
    Finally, I was rewarded with a very bright, seemingly newly emerged, Small Copper:
    Otmoor, Oxon - 29th July 2014<br />Nikon D300s with Tamron 90mm macro+ 1.4X TC - 1/750s@f/9.5 ISO400
    Nikon D300s with Tamron 90mm macro+ 1.4X TC - 1/750s@f/9.5 ISO400
    Mike

Return to “Personal Diaries”