CFB

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Chris Jackson

Re: CFB

Post by Chris Jackson »

Hi Colin,
The Great Banded Graylings are so impressive. I've seen up to 3 on my buddleias in the garden at the same time. They are quite curious as well, and they come and check me out (attack me ?) when I come into the garden.
CFB wrote: ... though perhaps False Ilex Hairstreaks are in even greater numbers ...
Surprisingly the False Ilexes peaked chez moi a long time ago, and I only saw one in the scrub today. My records from last year show that next week (week 27) is their final week of the season here.
Chris

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

Yes, Great Banded Graylings love buddleia in the same way our vanessids do. When I was in the Massif Central in 2012, practically any well placed buddleia would have one or two, and the best placed ones could harbour double figures.

Their behaviour is enchanting too. They really DO interact with you, swooping around and investigating you (and occasionally landing on your body).

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
CFB

Post by CFB »

Nothing much seen today along the Piste des Bouillides except many Cleopatras, Marbled Whites and Meadow Browns, and two Scarce Swallowtails:
IMG_1947.JPG
IMG_1953.JPG
--
Colin

Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Hi Colin,
I immediately checked to see whether your Scarce Swallowtail was an alexanor, but I don't think so :( .
Chris

CFB

Post by CFB »

This morning I went to see how my Spanish Festoon larvae are faring. I found two of them in good condition on the same plant. I wonder how long they stay in a larval state? This is the larger of the two.
IMG_1991.JPG
Nearby there were one or two Common Blues:
IMG_2007.JPG
There were still many Cleopatras, Marbled Whites and False Ilex Hairstreaks:
IMG_2014.JPG
Also some Silver-washed Fritillaries:
IMG_2019.JPG
I also saw a Marbled Skipper, a very tatty Southern White Admiral and several Wall Browns.

This afternoon in the garden there were three or four male Common Blues and one female.
--
Colin

CFB

Post by CFB »

Yesterday along the Brague I saw for the first time a Marbled White, form leucomelas. The rear underside is white with hardly any markings, though the upperside markings do show through. There were many other Marbled Whites just about everywhere.
IMG_2043.JPG
I saw several Large Skippers:
IMG_2032.JPG
IMG_2047-001.JPG
Other butterflies seen include Cleopatras, Wood Whites, a Weaver's Fritillary and quite a few Lulworth Skippers.
--
Colin

CFB

Post by CFB »

This morning it was at first very cloudy with some light rain. But soon the clouds and rain disappeared, so I went for my walk in the sun somewhat later than usual.

I visited my Spanish Festoon larvae. I saw two of them, on the same plant as two days ago. This one seemed to be resting after having eaten quite a lot of the edge of a Aristolochia pistolochia leaf.
IMG_2067.JPG
At the same place was a Marbled Skipper, which didn't move all the time I was taking photos of it and the larvae.
IMG_2059.JPG
I saw a solitary, tatty Knapweed Fritillary.
IMG_2055.JPG
Others seen were Spotted Fritillaries, False Ilex Hairstreaks, Cleopatras, Marbled Whites...
--
Colin

Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

CFB wrote:Yesterday along the Brague I saw for the first time a Marbled White, form leucomelas.
That Marbled White is curious - I will keep my eyes open for one of them.
Chris

David M

Post by David M »

That Marbled White is amazing, Colin. I've probably seen 2,000 or so within the last week but none of them have shown aberrations like this.

CFB

Post by CFB »

David, according to T&L leucomelas is commoner in the south, so perhaps there aren't any in your area :( . To corroborate T&L's statement, this morning I went to the same place and saw at least three, and photographed two of them :) .
IMG_2096.JPG
IMG_2101.JPG
In their company was a Scarce Swallowtail, a regular Swallowtail and a Great Banded Grayling:
IMG_2116.JPG
Elsewhere I saw this magnificent Berger's Clouded Yellow (?):
IMG_2090-001.JPG
Also flying where many Silver-washed Fritillaries and a couple of Southern White Admirals, and no doubt others that I have forgotten.
--
Colin

David M

Post by David M »

CFB wrote:David, according to T&L leucomelas is commoner in the south, so perhaps there aren't any in your area

Well, I'll be in your part of the world next week, Colin, so I'll keep an eye out for them.

CFB

Post by CFB »

After rain and thunder yesterday, this morning was sunny and warm/hot with some clouds. So along to Roche d'Ardy. I didn't see any of my Spanish Festoon larvae. I don't know if they were hiding, had been eaten, or had been washed away by the rain.

Nearby was a solitary, fresh-looking male Lang's Short-tailed Blue:
IMG_2132.JPG
IMG_2136.JPG
There were still many False Ilex Hairstreaks, this one looking particularly new:
IMG_2144-001.JPG
And still plenty of Cleopatras, Wall Browns, Marbled Whites and assorted skippers, and in the garden a Scarce Swallowtail and a Geranium Bronze.
--
Colin

Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

That LSTB does look fresh Colin, and I think my False Ilex around Marseilles must be finished now.
We arrived at our holiday destination in the Massif Central this afternoon (a village called Parent, 25 km South of Clermont Ferrand), so I will be looking out for any original species.
Cheers, Chris

CFB

Post by CFB »

Wishing you good look Chris in your search for original species.
--
Colin

CFB

Post by CFB »

During this morning's walk I went to the site where last Thursday I saw three Marbled Whites, form leucomelas. The first Marbled White I saw there today was a leucomelas :D.

upperside:
IMG_2192.JPG
and underside:
IMG_2205.JPG
Due to the wind there were fewer butterflies around than usual. But I did see a Scarce Swallowtail being blown all over the place clutching desperately to a scabious. During a less windy moment I did manage a photo or two:
IMG_2209.JPG
There were one or two Southern White Admirals, including this one:
IMG_2184-001.JPG
Apart from that there were many Wall Browns, several Cleopatras and Large Skippers, a few Lulworth Skippers and a Silver-washed Fritillary form valesina.
--
Colin

CFB

Post by CFB »

I wasn't out for long this afternoon, but did manage to get a nice photo of the underside of a Southern White Admiral:
IMG_2223.JPG
Also this photo of a Marbled White:
IMG_2227.JPG
This morning it was sunny and cloudless, but windy and a bit cooler than the previous couple of days. Now it is still windy but is raining. At least I don't have to water the garden today :) :) :) .
--
Colin

CFB

Post by CFB »

Even though it was sunny this morning with no clouds, it was (relatively speaking) quite cool, due to the wind. So the number of butterflies seen on my way to la Roche d'Ardy was quite low.

There were several Wall Browns, mostly males, including this one which stayed in place long enough to be photographed:
IMG_2239.JPG
There were just a few Common Blues, and I only managed photos of this male:
IMG_2267.JPG
However there were still several Brimstones, and great quantities of Cleopatras, both male and female, including this male:
IMG_2281.JPG
Also seen: many Marbled Whites, a few Small Heaths, several Large Skippers, one Spotted Fritillary, a couple of False Ilex Hairstreaks, and a couple of dragonflies:
IMG_2276.JPG
--
Colin

CFB

Post by CFB »

This morning along the Piste des Tamarins there were even fewer butterflies than yesterday, even though the sky was cloud-free and there was not much wind. I wonder where they all are :? . One exception was the number of Wall Browns - they seemed to be everywhere. There were also a fair number of Marbled Whites:
IMG_2283.JPG
Apart from that there were a few Cleopatras, a couple of Speckled Woods, and this Small Copper:
IMG_2286.JPG
--
Colin

Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Few butterflies Colin? Not as few as here in rain-lashed Auvergne :roll:
Better luck next week I hope.
Chris

CFB

Post by CFB »

There were still relatively few butterflies in the Parc de la Brague this morning, but it was quite cloudy at times. The most numerous were Wall Browns, Meadow Browns and Marbled Whites, followed by Large Skippers and Cleopatras. Also seen were one Weaver's Fritillary,
IMG_2302.JPG
one Scarce Swallowtail,
IMG_2306.JPG
two tatty Painted Ladies,
IMG_2308.JPG
and a Common Blue.
IMG_2315.JPG
--
Colin

Return to “Personal Diaries”