White Admiral

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
Tony Moore

White Admiral

Post by Tony Moore »

Is there ever a second brood of White Admiral? Whilst looking for WA eggs today, I found a WA larva 25mm long - i.e. at least three-quarters grown. I also found a fresh egg on the same plant. As I watched the larva, hoping for it to sit still for a photograph, about a dozen parasite larvae emerged through the skin of the unfortunate creature, leaving a thrashing sac, which I quickly put out of its misery. Is it normal to see such a large larva at this time of the year? Could an artificial growth spurt have been caused by the parasites? Any ideas, anyone?

A photograph of the ovum:
WA ovum 3.jpg

Tony M.
FISHiEE

Re: White Admiral

Post by FISHiEE »

I think they get the odd one or two in early years such as this one is. I have seen one quite small second brood butterfly I think in august, just once about 6-7 years ago. Oddly it was at a site where I rarely used to see more than one or two first brood butterflies. I would have expected second broods would be at sites with much bigger populations.
m_galathea

Post by m_galathea »

I saw one looking fresh on 7th September 2006 in Sussex. That summer was lovely and long - my last first brood White Admiral was on 2nd August and the last Silver-washed fritillary was on 4th September.
Alex
Tony Moore

Post by Tony Moore »

Thanks FISHiEE and Galathea for your thoughts.

I had another go at getting a satisfactory photograph today, using a ring flash and a lot of trial and error. My efforts were frustrated by a minute (length .25 mm) aphid-like insect, which kept running in and out of frame. I could only see it on the screen and it resisted all attempts to dislodged it by blowing. This was the best I could manage - although not really sure if it's better than the first one :oops: :
WA final.jpg
Tony M.

Return to “Photography”