White-letter Woes!

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
jasonbirder

White-letter Woes!

Post by jasonbirder »

Looking back over my diary for the last couple of weeks...I realise i have now made six (yes SIX!!!) trips to look for White-letter Hairstreak.
5 to Bedford Purlieus and 1 to Holkham Pines (the brambles and elms around the hides at Lady Anns Drive)

Whilst I have seen a few up in the canopy I have yet to see one at low level or get a photo...as the season seems to be running away from me...does anyone have any tips/times/sites to try?

Cheers!
peterc

Re: White-letter Woes!

Post by peterc »

I have a similar problem too, Jason. I have seen White Letters high over the elm tops but none low enough for a photo opportunity. Maybe after males have mated they and females will start descending to lower levels to feed from nectar sources like thistles.

Peter
kevling

Post by kevling »

Jason,

Not sure of your location, but a reliable site for WLH is Benfleet Downs, Essex. I visited there on 21st June and found several examples at low level in the early afternoon sunshine (Grid Reference TQ785858).
I parked at Hadleigh Country Park and walked down to the location, where they continually descended from the elms to feed on brambles.
It took a brief time to 'get my eye in' as until they flew, I could not see them.
My report from that day is in the June sightings file.

Regards Kev
cyprio42

Post by cyprio42 »

I have been watching at least 6 today up in the canopy. I must have been there 5 hours and none came within reach for a decent shot. Local chap I met at the site said early morning after a damp night is the best chance of seeing them low.
Rosalyn

Post by Rosalyn »

There were 6 down yesterday at Bedford Purlieus, mainly between 11 and 12. Most looking worse for wear though.
jasonbirder

Post by jasonbirder »

Visit # 6 to Bedford Purlieus today...had a couple of hours between 10 & 12...

Plenty of Hairstreak activity in the crowns of the elms...

And finally thought i'd cracked it when this lady fluttered out of the trees in my eyeline to nectar and bask...

But, no! Its a very late Black Hairstreak...what are the odds!

CJB

Post by CJB »

Hi Jason,

What a result!?!? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I am still yet to crack the hairstreaks!

Flutter on!

CJB
jasonbirder

Post by jasonbirder »

I finally cracked it on visit #8...perseverance DOES pay off!

A lovely ♀ nectaring on Majoram at Bedford Purlieus this morning

Not much consolation for failing to get to the Yellow-legged Tortoiseshell tho'
David M

Post by David M »

Well done, Jason, and congratulations too for getting Silver Washed Fritillary and White Letter Hairstreak in the same shot! It's not a regularly seen combination.
peterc

Post by peterc »

A close encounter with a White Letter today. I was leaving Norton Green near Stevenage (looking for Brown Hairstreaks) at about noon when I spotted a very worn White Letter Hairstreak on my car front windscreen. It accompanied me all the way home about a mile away.

Peter

Return to “General”