Macro lens suggestion please

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
Hugh Middleton

Macro lens suggestion please

Post by Hugh Middleton »

My canon 100 mm macro non IS packed up for no reason. Have had it for about 4 years and was pleased with it.
However the local branch of LCE say its £25 to send it then a minimum of £120 plus parts to repair. Hardly seems worthwhile for a £400 lens.
I know that some of you use other models so suggestions would be welcome - my budget is about £400

Many thanks

Hugh
MikeOxon

Re: Macro lens suggestion please

Post by MikeOxon »

By most accounts, the Canon 100mm is an excellent lens. See http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/lenses/100mm-macro.htm for a review example. Some people like longer focal length macros but remember that size and weight increases if you follow that route. One option is to use a 1.4X tele converter, should you want more reach. This combination can work very well (I often use a Tamron 90mm with 1.4X converter on my Nikon)

What has failed on your lens? - I guess you mean the AF, which is not really essential for macro work, I assume that you have tried the lens on other camera bodies and have also checked that all the electrical contacts are clean.

Mike
Hugh Middleton

Post by Hugh Middleton »

Thanks Mike. Yes I loved the lens. The problem is to do with the electrics. The error sign comes up. Have cleaned the contacts to no avail. The camera shop had no idea of the problem. If only it was AF as I usually only use manual for macro.
The dilemma is knowing if it is a big job to repair. A friend had a lens repaired by canon at a cost of £250. If it were to cost that or more it might be worth just scrapping it and buying another.
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

It might sound stupid but check that the aperture ring is still locked on at the smallest aperture. I had a similar problem with a Sigma macro and it was down to the aperture ring not being locked in any more. Difficult to explain on this but Park Cameras sorted it out in seconds. Free!!
Hugh Middleton

Post by Hugh Middleton »

thanks - will try that
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Canon lenses don't have an aperture ring! They're on 'independent' lenses for those systems that need them.

I assume you are getting Err 01.there's a list of error messages at http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/Consumer ... Index.aspx The first remedial action is to check the lens contacts.
Mike
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Post by Gruditch »

If you are looking for a straight replacement for you knackered lens, I would look at these

Tokina 100mm f2.8 AT-X PRO Macro £369.00

Tamron 90mm f2.8 Di USD VC Macro £398.99

Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro USM £385.00

Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro OS £379.00

You may be able to find some online comparison tests, but all will be as sharp as a tack. I don't know much about the Tokina, I've only ever once briefly used a Tokina lens. This Canon does not come with IS, where as the Tamron, and Sigma do. The Tamron can take a convertor, but if I remember rightly, the Sigma, and Canon will not except a convertor. If you can find them, I would look up some comparison tests. But I would personally go with the Tamron, then add a 1.4X tele converter.

Regards Gruditch
Hugh Middleton

Post by Hugh Middleton »

Thanks both. Yes have cleaned contacts. My real beef is not knowing if it is completely knackered or not. Take a car to the garage and they can give you a rough idea. Take a lens to a shop and no idea!
Will have a ponder for awhile. Bit fed up with it all especially in the middle of the butterfy/dragonfly season.

Thanks again for your advice and comments

Hugh
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

I agree with your comments about repair. Cameras seem to be 'consumer goods' that are simply imported and sold - end of interest.

You might find it worth reading this thread: http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/thread ... ir.152207/

Since you like your lens and a replacement will cost rather a lot, I think it is worth considering repair, providing you can find a repairer who inspires you with some confidence - that's the hard bit.

Mike
KelvinR

Post by KelvinR »

If you are interested in repairing the lens then I can recommend Fixation (near the Oval in London) http://www.fixationuk.com/Fixation/Repairs.html They are a Professional Service Centre for Nikon and Canon.

I had my 4-year old Nikon D700 serviced, including sensor clean, recently and images are much improved...only myself to blame now!

I took the train in to London and dropped it off in the morning (giving me an excuse to enjoy several London art exhibitions for the rest of the day) and it was couriered back in under a week...professionals get a higher priority than me!

Give them a call.

Kelvin
Hugh Middleton

Post by Hugh Middleton »

Thanks all. Am still a bit sore at the idea of a rip off! If a repair entailed £120 worth of work then ok but if it doesn't then it seems like a rip off.

Someone at the camera club might look at it or know a local repairer. Just want to know how bad it is.

In the meantime am using my birding lenses.

Again many thanks fro replies and suggestions

Hugh

Return to “Photography”