Willrow

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Willrow

Re: Willrow

Post by Willrow »

David M wrote:It's rare to see DGFs on bramble but HBFs seem to love it
Thanks for your learned input David - as you well know we give both species plenty of choice in the Alun Valley :wink: but yes, your probably right, having said that the bramble flower is in absolute profusion at the site this year and both species were observed nectaring on it frequently during my last visit a week ago. Interestingly I measured a Marsh Thistle against my monopod - it was well in excess of 7'6" :shock: and I also counted thirteen plants of the Cirsium palustre v.alba (white) in a small area where both species were very active, I watched for around twenty minutes to see if either species showed interest in nectaring these white flowers, none did :!: If you go there David do spend time checking for such nectaring and let me know if you observe anything, such small points always fascinate me :roll: :lol:

Regards,

Bill :D

"When in doubt...venture out"

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Its a wet rainy morning here in South Wales and so I'm going to take the opportunity to try and catch up with another instalment of my Personal Diary, this time we head back over the border to Bernwood M50 Compensation Area, Oxfordshire I say we because David M was my companion for the day and it was nice to accept his kind offer to do the driving on this occasion, as indeed he did to the same location last year...thanks David :wink:

It took two and a half hours to our destination, here we were met by Cate Barrow a very accompolished photographer and fellow butterfly enthusiast who longed to see the iconic Black Hairstreak for the first time, Cate was not to be disappointed and during our time searching among the Blackthorn and flowering Wild Privet we saw at least 25. Happily Cate had one individual within three feet to photograph and despite her efforts to let us know about her find her shouts were unheard by both David and myself on the other side of the Wild Privet owing to the constant roar of traffic not many metres behind us on the M50. It was not too long though and we also had a few 'record only' shots on our memory cards :)
One of the 25 Compensation Area Black Hairstreak seen
One of the 25 Compensation Area Black Hairstreak seen
Black Hairstreak
Black Hairstreak
For me the Black Hairstreak is the toughest butterfly species of all to study or get a good photograph of, they cause neckache :roll: and much frustration for us poor butterflyers :( but hey! their lovely little critters well worth all the suffering ain't they :wink:

During our searches we came across several freshly emerged Marbled White and also Ringlet and these grassland and meadow lovers certainly added extra charm to the surroundings, we took time away from the BH to get some nice photographs...we know that mid-summer is with us once these lovely butterflies are on the wing :)
We saw many fresh Marbled White
We saw many fresh Marbled White
Ringlet in open wing pose...
Ringlet in open wing pose...
How can anyone resist a fresh open winged Marbled White I ask, the contrasting black (really deep brown?) on white is just stunning, they really are one of my favourite butterflies!!!
Open winged...inviting a photographer!!!
Open winged...inviting a photographer!!!
The weather was mainly overcast, gray and leaden during the six or so hours we spent at the Compensation with only brief episodes of sunny intervals to bring the Black Hairstreak within view, and this bit of sunshine only occurred from around 3.30pm in spite of the Met Office forecasting better much earlier in the day :roll: still you have to get on with it :P and in Part 2 of this Oxfordshire saga I will tell you about what happened when I returned four days later...on 'unfinished business'...and I'll bet you simply can't wait :lol:

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Looking forward to part 2 Willrow :D I'd settle for a few of those record shots as that's a species I've yet to catch up with :mrgreen: - so many butterflies , so little time :roll:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Oxfordshire Saga - Part2 Unfinished business saw me once again heading back to Oxfordshire four days after my last visit to the Bernwood M50 Compensation area with David M, but this time my first port of call was to Whitecross Green Wood where I was met with grey leaden skies with the threat of rain in the air :roll: I knew it would be a hard task to locate Black Hairstreak even in the preferred pond 'hot-spot' in these unfavourable conditions and the only sighting I got during the morning was at the back of the Blackthorn and then only very briefly, so rather than waste precious time at WGW I decided to have an early lunch and dedicate the rest of my day to the Compensation area, however, I was not going to neglect the chance of enjoying the freshly emerged Marbled White before leaving WGW :)
Whitecross Green Woods info board
Whitecross Green Woods info board
Communication
Communication
Beautiful side on MW pose
Beautiful side on MW pose
And so with the lovely MW left behind I headed up the road a few miles to the 'Compensation' and on leaving the car for the trek down the ride to the Black Hairstreak location it started to rain :( :roll: luckily not too heavy or for too long, just enough to soak the grass and foliage surrounding the thickets of Blackthorn I needed to search...bah!..but, at least the sun was now making a weak attempt to smile on me and the first BH started to descend onto the Wild Privet, and a fair chance of some photographs :)
One of the 'Compensation' Black Hairstreak
One of the 'Compensation' Black Hairstreak
BH on Wild Privet
BH on Wild Privet
P1140339Black Hairstreak2 (Copy).jpg
My approximate count of Black Hairstreak during the afternoon was 15 or so which was considerably lower than the previous Sunday's tally of 25, however, considering the adverse weather conditions I was not too disappointed and I concluded my 2014 BH sessions quite contented :wink: This is a fascinating species well worth the time and expense of travel to study.

I made the trek back to my car a leisurely one and was rewarded with a fine looking immature male Black-tailed Skimmer and several feuding male Broad-bodied Chaser's some of the latter showing the effects of battle :roll:
Immature male Black-tailed Skimmer
Immature male Black-tailed Skimmer
Male Broad-bodied Chaser esting between aerial spats
Male Broad-bodied Chaser esting between aerial spats
Oh! and just before closing Part Two of the Oxfordshire Saga I've gotta say thanks to Wurz for responding to the first part... :wink:

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

No worries Willrow - the second part was a great read with great shots too :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Cheers Wurz :) appreciate your positive response, and that you take timeout to make the effort :wink:

Regards,

CJB

Post by CJB »

Hi Bill,

Two great reports and a definite target species for me next year as I suspect that they are doe for this season. :(

I am yet to get stuck into the chasers and dragonflies but will do so once I have completed my hair brain mission to photograph all the UK species on my mobile! I am now up to 45 species with some 'easy ones' to go, but also the likes of the chequered skipper and other Scottish specialities. That said, if Scotland gains its independence it will make my task easier! :wink:

I am hoping to get a DGF this weekend if the weather permits.

Flutter on!

CJB

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

My apologies if I include my most recent adventure with butterflies before I manage to actually catch up (sort through images etc) and include some earlier adventures...if you get my drift :roll: :)

Fermyn Woods, Northamptonshire At the crack of dawn (3.45am :shock: ) on Wednesday - I awoke in excited anticipation for my day with Purple Emperor at the afore mentioned location. Leaving home at precisely 5am I had a relatively stressfree 170 mile journey arriving at Fermyn before 8am, I had arranged to meet a couple of real 'butterflying superstars :lol: ' here at 8.30am so I casually sipped a cup of coffee and happily crunched a Kit Kat as I awaited Phil B and Rosalyn, who need no introduction to regulars here on UK Butterflies - however Phil & Ros had already arrived and text me to say roughly where they were in this huge wood...now usually my mobile phone vibrates (oh! the thrill :oops: ) to inform of incoming text messages, but I missed it :roll: I did however have the presence of mind to check my messages and saw the text around 8.30 and so I was off down the ride like a good un' :P

Fifteen minutes into my journey down the ride I hit a fork...could not for the life of me remember which way we went last year, to the left or to the right...decision or dither...decision to the right...and I was right...and you thought I was wrong, didn't you :?: :lol: but there waving me forward on my belated arrival was Phil & Ros and the start of a great sunny morning with a great woodland butterfly - His Imperial Majesty - the iconic Purple Emperor and what a morning it was, Phil's 'hot-spot' produced a spectacle of at least ten individual insects, many posing totally unconcerned as they enjoyed Phil's 'top secret nectaring concoction' from the surrounding foliage...but Ros told me it was actually only a mixture of Lucozade and other 'special' ingredients, but next year they will be in full production and selling it to innocent and naive PE seekers at Fermyn for around 20 guineas a bottle (plastic at that!)... :shock: :lol: the cads!!! I heard Phil whisper to Ros that this time next year they would be millionaires :shock: :wink:

I was honoured by HIM selecting my boot to savour and we watched amused as he probed with that incredible tongue for well over five minutes allowing both myself and the others present to take a variety of shots such as those shown below :) what exactly it was that he was savouring is a mystery, but footwear can offer much I suppose :?
A brief flash of imperial purple was shown to HIM's audience
A brief flash of imperial purple was shown to HIM's audience
Side pose from PE is equally stunning
Side pose from PE is equally stunning
We were joined by Mark (Essex Buzzard) and Esther - both are fellow UK Butterflies members - it was a pleasure to meet this lovely couple, its always good to share such memorable moments with other Purple Emperor people :)
Mark (Essex Buzzard) seen here with Esther using her mobile phone camera on PE with success!
Mark (Essex Buzzard) seen here with Esther using her mobile phone camera on PE with success!
While Esther seemed to get some very nice images on her Samsung mobile phone Rosalyn was busy using her vintage Kodak 126 (circa 1950/60s? !!!) :shock: :lol:
Rosalyn down on her knees paying homage to HIM (note the Kodak!!!)
Rosalyn down on her knees paying homage to HIM (note the Kodak!!!)
Good fortune (and Phil's concoction :roll: ) brought a lovely conditioned specimen onto nearby foliage and we all took the opportunity to get some reasonably good images, these shots are always far more welcome and natural looking than the more usual on path or heaven forbid on dogs c**p, thats not to say that HIM doesn't flash his purple superbly on ground cos' he does and when he did we all took advantage :)
The bonus of a dark background
The bonus of a dark background
Purple Emperor - classic side on pose, what an insect!!!
Purple Emperor - classic side on pose, what an insect!!!
Another half side purple flash
Another half side purple flash
After mid-day the sunshine disappeared and so we reluctantly moved on hoping to perhaps see White-letter and/or Purple Hairstreak near one of the infrequently found Wych Elm, we located several flitting individuals of the former species high above the ash tree that towered over the elm, patience paid off to some extent when the W-l H descended onto the elm albeit at a height and position that made photography very difficult, the best record shot I could get is included below. Regards the Purple Hairstreak one did briefly come down from it's oakey domain but try as I would I failed to get a view and only saw it's blurred flight exit back to whence it came...inconsiderate critter :x
Distant view and record shot of White-letter Hairstreak taken at 600mm on Panasonic Lumix FZ150
Distant view and record shot of White-letter Hairstreak taken at 600mm on Panasonic Lumix FZ150
Our visit to Fermyn was coming to a close and I said my farewells and thanks to Phil & Ros for their delightful and knowledgable company, I had a cup of luke warm coffee and a Kit Kat at the car :) before spending the last hour along one of the rides, I was rewarded with a beautiful Large Emerald and several micro moths. I hit the road home at just gone 6pm...fantastic day had :P :wink:
Wonderful ephemeral Large Emerald was my late reward before heading home!!!
Wonderful ephemeral Large Emerald was my late reward before heading home!!!
PS. Just received a rather suspicious looking email asking if I'd like to take out a share in the Purple Emperor Seekers Perfume Company...wonder where thats from :lol: :lol: :wink:

Last edited by Willrow on Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David M

Post by David M »

Excellent and amusing reportage there, Bill.

You certainly did far better than I did at Bentley Wood on the same day - just one brief grounding and fly-by :(

Fermyn is definitely on my radar for 2015; I'm afraid it'll be too late when I get back from France a week on Sunday.

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Top class photos - on boots and leaves in one day!! :D

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Your kindness itself CJB, David and Katrina, many thanks for your responses :wink:

Best Wishes,

Last edited by Willrow on Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Fantastic and funny report Bill. Sounds like you all had a great day and I just love the shots with the black background. Perhaps I should put it on my agenda for 2015 :D

Rosalyn

Post by Rosalyn »

I have just developed the pics from the Kodak in my dark room in the attic :lol:
Purple Emperor 140702 070S.jpg
You must be a little deaf Bill, Phil and I were talking about the million Hares in the field. Didn't you see them? Of course if you reveal all our secrets .... Have arrow :twisted: . Was a fab day in good company, shame I missed out on the fungi but I'm planning on rising early Sunday hoping they will be there again
Last edited by Rosalyn on Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Great to meet you at last,Bill-spending most of the day in you,Phil and Rosalyn was most enjoyable. Some fantastic images you have there,too. Mine are not quite as good,so it looks as if i need to up my game!

A super day out. Perhaps you can tempt David to come with you next year...

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Brilliant images Bill, you really hit the jackpot, especially the shot with the dark background :D

Mike

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Great report from Fermyn Bill, very entertaining and cracking photos too :D

Looks like I will be missing out on Fermyn this year despite only being a 90 minute drive away, returned from a family holiday at Weymouth today and back to work next week so the best will be over before I will have a chance to go.
Never mind, can't be everywhere, I have been the past three years and no doubt will make it next year.

Cheers,

Neil.

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Pauline thank you for the nice response, especially appreciated :)

Rosalyn Me deaf :shock: ...whadda ya say :lol: Lovely Kodak shot!!! (Regarding the Fungi; I believe that could have come from a commercially grown spoor...check out the farm heap on the right hand side cereal field :wink: ).

Mark (Essex Buzzard) your probably being modest about your images :wink: Was great to meet you.

Mike (Maximus) its always good to have some pleasing records from a great day out :) thanks for responding so positively.

Regards to you all,

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Brilliant report Willrow it really captured the festive atmosphere searching for His Nibbs brings and stunning shots to boot. :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Neil thanks for the response. As you mention you can always pencil in a 'Fermyn Day' for 2015...just don't get too rusty :wink: :lol:

Wurz you might have already visited Fermyn, but if not a real treat awaits when you do...it's Purple Emperor Mecca :wink:

Kind regards to you both.

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Retrospective posting that outlines two 'adventures' I undertook during the last week of June :arrow:

Parc Cwm Darran, Near Bargoed, Glamorgan I needed to check out my Marbled White colonies in this local - area close to home, I've watched with much interest as the two distinct 'meta-populations' have boomed and bust (almost), on this visit I saw just a single butterfly in the upper colony and just two in the lower one, I'm not unduly concerned just yet as MW in this part of the country are usually a week or so behind other parts of the UK...I will return :)

Among the species seen were a dozen or so Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary which I simply enjoyed without attempting to get photographs, the same certainly didn't apply to Dark Green Fritillary (although I did enjoy!) and I just could not resist a nice 'bracken posed' specimen and no excuses cos' for some reason I just love butterflies on fresh bracken :wink:
The view towards Parc Cwm Darran
The view towards Parc Cwm Darran
Dark Green Fritillary on bracken
Dark Green Fritillary on bracken
Another take on the same DGF image...better?
Another take on the same DGF image...better?
Small Tortoiseshell seem to have built up their numbers over recent weeks, I was not seeing them earlier on in the season in the numbers hoped for - I saw at least a dozen during the morning.
P1140397Small Tortoiseshell2 (Copy).JPG
As a dragonfly enthusiast (as well as butterflies :shock: :wink: ) I'm fortunate to live in real Golden-ringed Dragonfly territory and its very rare for me not to see one at this time of year during my local jaunts, below is a cropped head-study of a prime conditioned male that introduced itself as I was 'fritting' :)
Heady study of male Golden-ringed Dragonfly
Heady study of male Golden-ringed Dragonfly
The following day (June 24th) I took David M's advice...cheers :wink: and headed over the Severn to visit Lower Woods, Near Wickwar, Gloucestershire and this years first White Admiral & Silver-washed Fritillary sightings - only problem was the heat 8) :roll: it was stifling in the woodland and the S-w F in particular were manic with what must have been at least 200+ on the wing and little or no respite for any decent image taking.
Gloucestershire Wildlife Trust - Lower Woods Nature Reserve
Gloucestershire Wildlife Trust - Lower Woods Nature Reserve
The Silver-washed Fritillary shown below was about the only half chance I got of a record capture...not too good either :(
Poor quality S-w Frit image!!!
Poor quality S-w Frit image!!!
Regards the less often seen White Admiral a few did make token attempts to nectar on the bramble flowers before being rudely disturbed by the bullying Silver-washed Fritillary :roll: I did however manage a few images and one had enough shaded area in the background to allow for a reasonable 'portrait'. In all perhaps 15 to 20 WA were seen.
I prefer closed wing shots of White Admiral...
I prefer closed wing shots of White Admiral...
Bit of editing improved this White Admiral from the mediocre...I think!!!
Bit of editing improved this White Admiral from the mediocre...I think!!!
Among the other species were a positive profusion of Meadow Brown & Ringlet (many coupled) and one of the latter had a wing deformity that had left it discoloured and stunted, yet the insect still managed to get about as is often the case in such sad instances... :? :roll:
This Ringlet still got on with life...
This Ringlet still got on with life...
Paired Ringlet...note the 'guest' bug in photo?
Paired Ringlet...note the 'guest' bug in photo?
Love in the meadow...oh la la!!!
Love in the meadow...oh la la!!!
Seems to be a long post folks...a double whammy :wink: but I need to catch up a bit (A lot :shock: ) or I'll be posting this years 'adventurers' well into 2015 :lol:

Return to “Personal Diaries”