Hoggers

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: Hoggers

Post by David M »

You really have an affinity with Small Coppers, don't you, Hoggers?

I haven't seen one personally for a few weeks now and I hope they will burst forth over the coming few weeks so that we can delight in their presence.

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic shots of a brill butterfly Hoggers, the little cracker is certainly that :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Warm thanks for your kind comments, Gents: I wonder if there are any other locations in the UK with Small Copper populations as large as at Dungeness?

I had an early finish at work so I though I'd drop in to Lydden Nature Reserve on my way home to see if there were any Chalkhill Blues yet. I usually only start to think about Chalkies in late July but everything seems to be running so fast this year and I'd read a report in "Sightings" of them being out in Sussex, so I thought it was worth a try.

Well, out they most certainly are
IMG_3943.JPG
On the hillside I immediately came across three chasing around
IMG_3952.JPG
I'd arrived at the hottest part of the day so others were just sitting quietly
IMG_3977.JPG
IMG_3987.JPG
IMG_3989.JPG
Several more appeared
IMG_3996.JPG
In total I saw around 15
IMG_4007.JPG
It won't be long before there are thousands here
IMG_4010.JPG
I found one female
IMG_4020.JPG
IMG_4022.JPG
As for other butterflies, I've never seen so many Marbled Whites, they were everywhere, Ringlets, Meadow Browns, Small Heaths, Large Skippers too.

It was now too hot for me out on the hill so I headed back to the car feeling very pleased at having seen the Chalkhill Blues right at the start of their season.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking shots Hoggers :D :mrgreen: I keep checking my local Chalkhill site but none emerging yet but they can't be far off now.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Yes indeed Hoggers, most of us are chasing our tails just trying to keep up with the species emerging so quickly one on top of tother' :roll:

Your Chalkies are a delight :) among my many favourite species, at last count there were another 58 or so :lol:

Enjoyed!

Bill :D

"When in doubt...venture out"

Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Great to see that the Chalkhill Blues are out in Kent, Hoggers, your PD represents Kent at its best :D
My sister lives in Hythe and Lydden is one of her favourite sites, which she plans to visit next week. I guess that the Chalkhill Blue numbers will have increased by then.

Mike

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Thanks for your comments Gents,there'll be hundreds of Chalkies out at Lydden very soon, a spectacular sight.

Today I visited Beckley Wood in East Sussex just up the road from Rye. It's the first time I've been there but it's been on my radar since reading about it in Dave Brown's PD last year. It's a site that Dave recommended for seeing Silver-washed Fritillaries. They're scarce in Kent. I've seen the odd one at Hamstreet Woods and rather more at High Elms in North Kent so another site close to where I live was of interest, even if it meant crossing the border into Sussex..!

I arrived there at about 1030 and it was already very warm and sunny. Using the entrance on the charmingly named Starvecrow Road I was immediately on a wide flower-lined bright ride and Silver-washed Fritillaries were zipping up and down at speed but occasionally settling
IMG_4059.JPG
IMG_4062.JPG
IMG_4106.JPG
And I was delighted to witness for the first time the Silver-washed Fritillary courtship flight, something I'd only read about in Thomas and Lewington, in which the female flies a steady level course while the male repeatedly swoops under her, then up in front of her again.

I followed one such pair when they settled on Brambles. A flurry of wing flapping ensued but the lady obviously wasn't impressed and gave him the cold shoulder
IMG_4109.JPG
Lots of other butterflies about including White Admiral, Red Admiral,Comma, a Peacock, Essex and Small Skippers
IMG_4119.JPG
IMG_4094.JPG
Meadow Browns
IMG_4125.JPG
and Ringlets, Speckled Wood, Large and Small Whites and a Holly Blue.

I really enjoyed my visit to this beautiful wood and its butterflies
IMG_4134.JPG
IMG_4150.JPG
IMG_4154.JPG
IMG_4161.JPG

dave brown

Post by dave brown »

Pleased you caught up with them at Beckley. Now consider Bourne Wood at Hamstreet (nearer home). We saw 11 there the other day by taking the path up the small hill from the main entrance and following the main track with the coppiced area on your left. Stay on the main track and walk to the second crossroads with a seat.
Keep your eyes peeled for Purple Emperor as one was reported last year, but subsequent searches by us has failed to repeat the sighting.
Dave

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Cheers Dave - I will give it a try!

Best Wishes,

Hoggers.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking shots of the female Silver Washed Hoggers :D . I managed to catch up with some this weekend but we're still behind down here on the Chalk Hills :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

I was able to get away for a couple of days this week and head west to Heddon's Mouth in Devon. My target was the High Brown Fritillary the rarest inhabitant of this gorgeous hidden location. It's about 280 miles from home,the longest trip I ever make to see a butterfly in any one year, but every mile spent travelling there is repaid in full by the beauty of the countryside and the excitement of seeing such a rare and dashing butterfly.

Neil Hume saw High Browns here in good numbers about three weeks ago and was good enough to send me some advice on where best to find the butterfly. Armed with this information, enthusiasm and a good dose of "Jungle Formula" I spent the whole of 10th July at Heddon's Mouth enjoying perfect weather and High Brown Fritillaries
IMG_4201.JPG
IMG_4207.JPG
IMG_4220.JPG
IMG_4253.JPG
IMG_4318.JPG
IMG_4358.JPG
IMG_4364.JPG
I guess I'd arrived towards the tail end of their 2014 season here because although there were plenty of them about numbers had dwindled since Neil visited and most were worn to a greater or lesser extent
IMG_4405.JPG
IMG_4458.JPG
At first I attempted to chase after these highly mobile creatures in order to get a photograph but invariably ended up falling on my backside: here's my typical viewpoint
IMG_4522.JPG
and so I altered my tactics by sitting down next to a thistle or bramble patch and waiting for them to come to me
IMG_4420.JPG
IMG_4423.JPG
Like something out of a comedy I'd still manage to fluff the job even when employing this stealthy tactic. I will never forget the magnificent High Brown that landed right next to me but which flew away never to be seen again, un-photographed by me because as I raised my camera a single drop of sweat infused with "Jungle Formula" rolled down into my left eye and temporarily blinded me..!

The perils of chasing butterflies!

But I managed to get some pictures to take home with me nonetheless
IMG_4428.JPG
As for other butterflies I saw many Silver-washed Fritillaries
IMG_4381.JPG
Only one Dark-green Fritillary, faded and rather like a ghost
IMG_4265.JPG
Small Coppers, Ringlets, Meadow Browns, Large Whites and Red Admirals.

But it was the High Browns that I'd made this long journey to see and thanks to Neil's advice I was able to see them better than I've ever been able to see them before
IMG_4475.JPG
IMG_4500.JPG
They have the same effect on me as Purple Emperors do on others
IMG_4508.JPG
IMG_4516.JPG
IMG_4435.JPG
So all the bumps, bruises, bramble scratches and flies were worth it for a brief audience!
IMG_4440.JPG
IMG_4520.JPG
A magnificent butterfly
IMG_4487.JPG
I can't wait to see them again next year!

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Hoggers,
Great report and some nice pics. Glad you found plenty as I was slightly worried there would be very few left. Next year I'll treat myself to a stay in the hotel.
BWs, Neil

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Cheers Neil, I can highly recommend the Hunter's Inn. Staying in a pub has its benefits!

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated,

Hoggers.

David M

Post by David M »

Great stuff, Hoggers. So glad you managed to enjoy an audience with one of the UK's most precious species.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Hoggers, great report and photos from the Heddon Valley :D

I can also thoroughly recommend the Hunters Inn, we stayed there for three nights last year as reported in my diary at the time.

Your report brings back some great memories :D Definitely somewhere that I would like to return to sometime in the next few years.

Cheers,

Neil

Mike Robinson

Post by Mike Robinson »

Some really super pictures.
The thing I really like about photographing Butterflies is that flowers, vegetation &c. can add immensely to the overall picture.
As we can see here.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great stuff Hoggers :D :mrgreen: The under wing shots really show of the colouration compared to the greenish tinge of the Dark Greens :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Many thanks for you kind comments, they are much appreciated.

Over the years I've managed to see High Browns in North and South Devon and in the Morecambe Bay area. Wonderful butterflies in outstanding countryside. I'd like to see them in the Arun Valley one year too.

I finished work early today but haven't gone butterflying: It's too hot!!!!!!!

(And that's something I never though I'd hear myself say!)

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Great report and photos from Heddon Hoggers :D We camped near Heddon for several days from 7th July and managed to find some HB Fritillaries, eventually!

Mike

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Hi Mike, I've seen your report - great stuff as usual. High Browns at Heddon Valley: magic!

I counted 24 Peacocks in my garden today!
IMG_4555.JPG
IMG_4560.JPG
Often 5 or 6 on one flower
IMG_4563.JPG
IMG_4568.JPG
One even landed on my camera as I stood watching them
IMG_4574.JPG
A Peacock Bonanza!
IMG_4578.JPG
Also a Comma and 4 Red Admirals but no Small Tortoiseshells ( or Yellow-legged ones either - yes, I'm looking!)

Ever hopeful

Hoggers.

Return to “Personal Diaries”