Katrina

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
PhilBJohnson

Re: Katrina

Post by PhilBJohnson »

Hi Katrina,
I am loving the pictures of the Purple Emperor on the ground. Chatting to others, I think I was one of the few people to have seen them today (3) at Bookham Common in Surrey but they were only tree canopy sightings and when I did find one perched on top of one of the taller willow trees (possibly a female), I missed the photo opportunity by about 2 seconds :lol:
Best Wishes,
Philip

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Kind Regards,
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thank you Phil - I certainly have plenty photos I have missed by seconds too.

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Katrina

Mountain Ringlets

Post by Katrina »

Today me and my sister went to Craig Meagaidh to look for Mountain Ringlets. There was nothing on the sightings board when we arrived but the helpful rangers pointed us in the right direction. There were Chimney Sweeper moths at the bottom. It was quite hard work walking up with only moths spotted initially by us (but many midges and clegs spotted us), but we finally saw some Small Pearl-Bordered Fritillaries. We then saw some Mountain Ringlets. Having seen our first ones I decided to stay in the same area rather than going further up the mountain. We also saw some large pale brown and orange butterflies that we couldn't get close enough to identify. Amazing views even from where we were about half way up.We also saw golden ringed dragonflies and my sister saw a weasel.
Attachments
DSC02610.JPG
DSC02622.JPG
DSC02624.JPG
DSC02626.JPG
DSC02655.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

You're cleaning up this year Katrina :shock: :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurezl

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Well done with the Purple Emperors and Mountain Ringlets Katrina, you've certainly done some travelling recently, so very well deserved :D

Mike

David M

Post by David M »

Aaah! Scottish Mountain Ringlets.

A species I must one day get round to seeing.

Katrina

Dusk Watch

Post by Katrina »

Last night I went on an excellent Speyside Wildlife Dusk Watch. I had plenty of fun trying to photograph wood mice which were just in front of the hide and were very fast. Later on some roe deer put in an appearance followed by a pine martin (called Ouzel) and then 3 badgers. The hide was excellent with lighting outside and also 4 infrared cameras. I can really recommend it if you are ever up in the area.
Attachments
Image.jpg
Image 1.jpg
Image 2.jpg
Image 3.jpg
Image 4.jpg
Image 5.jpg

badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Wonderful stuff Katrina. I love the Chimney Sweeper moth, one I would love to get, and of course I also like the picture of my namesake!!

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thank you - chimney sweepers seem to be very common round these parts. The badgers were at one point were walking right along the edge of the hide.

David M

Post by David M »

Beautiful images of rarely seen indigenous creatures.

That part of the UK is truly spectacular.

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Simply lovely report Katrina, that superb Pine Marten has got me drooling :mrgreen:

Enjoyed!

Bill :D

"When in doubt...venture out"

Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
Katrina

Northern Brown Argus

Post by Katrina »

Yesterday we went on a successful hunt for the Northern Brown Argus in the Cairngorms. We also saw Ringlets, Meadow Browns, one Small Heath and a golden ringed dragonfly.
Attachments
Image 5.jpg
Image 6.jpg
Image 3.jpg
Image 1.jpg
Image 2.jpg
Image 4.jpg
Image.jpg
Image 7.jpg

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Just catching up Katrina and I love your Pine Marten shots :mrgreen:

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Well done on the white spotted Northern Brown Argus sightings and pictures,Katrina-they are fantastic,as are the nocturnal mammals,of course... :mrgreen:

Really must get back to Scotland,before they install a drawbridge :lol:

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thank you Pauline and Essexbuzzard the hide was so good for the dusk watch it felt like cheating.

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Today we went for a walk between Boat of Garten and Loch nan Carraigean. We saw 52 Ringlets, 4 Common Blues, 8 Small Heaths and at the Loch we found one Small Pearl-Bordered Fritillary and one ginormous Dark Green Fritillary. We also saw on the way numerous Bordered White moths, some Gold Swifts and 11 Tiger Beetles.
Attachments
DSC03326.jpg
DSC03330.jpg
DSC03360.jpg
DSC03427.jpg
DSC03454.jpg

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking sets of shots Katrina. I love the white under wing markings of the NBA and that female Dark Green is spectacular :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurezl

Katrina

8th July

Post by Katrina »

On the 8th of July we went to Insh Marshes to see some more Northern Brown Argus. Despite intermittent drizzle we saw plenty and also Small Heath, Common Blues, Small Pearl-Bordered Fritillaries and Ringlets. I was surprised to see some with wings fully open even in the light drizzle.
Attachments
DSC03711.jpg
DSC03720.jpg
DSC03759.jpg
DSC03823.jpg
DSC03832.jpg
DSC03872.jpg
DSC03889.jpg

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

It looks like this is going to be a season to remember for you Katrina. You've nailed quite a few difficult and distant species along the way. Impressive commitment and results to match!
BWs, Neil

Katrina

Pulborough Brooks Parade of Butterflies

Post by Katrina »

This morning I stayed in, rather put off by the rain first thing. At lunchtime I went to Steyning Rifle Range but didn't see any Brown Hairstreaks, probably as I got there rather late.I did see plenty of Walls though. I then spent a very short time at Pulborough Brooks where there were Small Tortoiseshells, Red Admirals. Peacocks, Skippers and Common Blues. All common species but I was very pleased to see them.
Attachments
DSC03930.jpg
DSC03931.jpg
DSC03935.jpg
DSC03946.jpg
DSC03949.JPG

Return to “Personal Diaries”