Neil Hulme

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Hulme

Re: Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Best Of The West (Part 1)

On Wednesday (18th June) I spent a very enjoyable day at Collard Hill, searching out the somewhat elusive Large Blue. I don't think the species is going to have its greatest season here, and the going may well remain quite tough compared to some previous years. However, with patience and diligent searching it should still be possible for visitors to find a few, especially with NT Large Blue Ranger Jono on site to help out. I had such a good time here in the company of Jono and a handful of other visitors that I'd love to return next week, but the delayed emergence has made the inevitable clash of late June priorities even worse than usual!

Aside from the Large Blue there were Clouded Yellow (including egg-laying helice), Brimstone, Green-veined White, Small Copper, Common Blue, Painted Lady, Small Tortoiseshell (plenty), Speckled Wood, Marbled White, Meadow Brown, Ringlet, Small Heath and a few Hummingbird Hawkmoth on the wing. A visit to Collard is more than just about butterflies and I spent plenty of time just gazing at the spectacular landscape within which the site sits. I always think it has a surreal, unique quality and it's hardly surprising that so many people attribute it a mystical significance. I very much enjoyed the company of others throughout the day, but equally appreciated the place to myself late into the evening after the sun had set. The Bee Orchids are well worth tracking down too.

The Large Blue was quite tricky to find, but I had a good start at 10.15 am when I noticed a male enjoying a thyme flower breakfast about half way along the slope. Jono and I both tracked and photographed this individual throughout the day, proving beyond any doubt that a single male will cover the entire site, from west to east. Later in the day I watched a female lay about a dozen eggs, before she retired to thick scrub to take a siesta.

By teatime we still only had firm evidence for two individuals, but the best was yet to come. After taking a break I returned in the evening, hoping to find a Large Blue at roost. With so few present this might seem like hunting a 'needle in a haystack', but once you get a feel for where butterflies are likely to roost the odds become substantially better. After a 30 minute search I found a female, which photographic comparisons showed to be a different specimen to the one seen earlier, giving a new minimum count of three. Even better, after returning to photograph a Marbled White I had watched go to roost earlier, sitting no more than a couple of metres away was another Large Blue!

There are plenty of occasions when I have seen far more Large Blue in a day than this, but any day in the company of such a special butterfly in such a special landscape is a day to remember, and this was one of the more memorable.
UKB Large Blue 1, 18.6.14 Collard.jpg
UKB Large Blue 3, 18.6.14 Collard.jpg
UKB Large Blue 4, 18.6.14 Collard.jpg
UKB View from Collard Hill 18.6.14.jpg
UKB Large Blue 2, 18.6.14 Collard.jpg
UKB Bee Orchid 18.6.14 Collard.jpg

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

Great photos as always , Neil. Ian

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks Ian. Plenty of hours invested in getting them!
BWs, Neil

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Such great images of such an iconic butterfly don't come easy, and your 'mid-summer' report from Collard Hill conveys a special feel about the place Neil :wink:

Regards,

Bill :D

"When in doubt...venture out"

Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
William

Post by William »

Lovely photos as ever Neil, I've been helping Jono out on the site the past few days, and he spoke highly of your legendary fieldcraft :) - a shame to have missed you! Yesterday was fairly quiet, but today we found a couple of egg - laying females, including a really fresh crowd pleaser that sat on a grass stem for pretty much the whole day - lots of happy faces all around the site.

BWs

William

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Many thanks Bill and William (I'm sure we'll bump into each other eventually!). Despite the modest numbers I'm pleased to hear that the butterfly is performing for at least some visitors.
BWs, Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Best Of The West (Part 2)

On Thursday (19th June) I departed early from my hotel in Street, having made the decision to swop one of my intended days with the Large Blue with the promise of bucket-loads of High Brown Fritillary in the Heddon Valley. Huge thanks to Matthew Oates for the heads-up and directions to the hotspot. I arrived at this stunningly beautiful location just before 10.00 am and started my campaign on the steep slope where Matthew had made a count of 60 HBF in 20 minutes during the previous day.

By the time I left to make the long journey home, after looking at another site in the area, I was completely satiated with this beautiful rarity, having seen probably close on to 100. Dark Green Fritillary was present in greatly subordinate numbers and a significant number of now very faded and tatty Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary were hanging on, along with other spring species such as Green Hairstreak and Small Copper. Ringlet started to emerge en masse throughout the day.

My only regret was that I had but a single day here, and I had a strong urge to forget my appointment with Goodwood Racecourse and book into the very inviting Hunters Inn which nestles deep in the wooded valley. There's little doubt that I'll be back here to do the place justice.
UKB HBF1 Heddon Valley 19.6.14.jpg
UKB Hunters Inn 19.6.14.jpg
UKB HBF2 Heddon Valley 19.6.14.jpg
UKB Heddon's Mouth 19.6.14.jpg

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Summer Grassland Hatch

After returning from the West Country, and just before heading to Goodwood for an afternoon/evening race meeting (20th June), I paid a brief visit to some grassland areas tucked away deep within Rewell Wood. With the longest day fast approaching it seemed that Mother Nature was making preparations; midsummer butterflies were hatching all around me. In places the tall grasses were dripping with meconium fluids as Marbled White and Ringlet inflated their wings. As if to emphasise that we are now at the very peak of the butterfly season, several Silver-washed Fritillary swooped past me on my way out of the woods.
UKB Marbled White, Rewell Wood, 20.6.14.jpg
UKB Marbled White (2), Rewell Wood, 20.6.14.jpg

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Midsummer Celebration

With a good weather forecast for the evening of the longest day (21st June), there was one place in Sussex which I particularly wanted to visit, to enjoy the setting of the midsummer sun. Soon after 9.15 pm it sank below the downland horizon in approximate alignment with the magnificent Bronze Age barrows known as the Devil's Jumps. These ancient monuments lie within an area managed by the Murray Downland Trust near Treyford http://www.murraydownlandtrust.blogspot.co.uk

This is one of those special moments in the calendar which marks a watershed for the wildlife-watcher; the Purple Emperor will always follow closely behind. Approximately 20 others were there to enjoy the spectacle, all with their own personal relationships with the landscape, our ancestors and the time of year. I was encouraged to see so many children making a connection with nature. For me it is a time for celebration, but also tinged with a little sadness for the passing of spring and early summer.
UKB Summer Solstice, Devils Jumps.jpg

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Purple Explosion

Last year Matthew Oates and I discovered that the Knepp Castle Estate Rewilding Project (http://www.knepp.co.uk) had brought unforeseen benefits in terms of a Purple Emperor population explosion. During the later part of the 2013 flight season we counted 155 individuals over two consecutive mornings, while constantly on the move and covering new ground.

Any thoughts that this might have been a 'flash in the pan', or even a bizarre dream, were quickly dispelled during my recent visit (22nd June). Following the equal first Sussex sighting on the Estate by Charlie Burrell and Amy Nightingale (one of the co-ordinators of Knepp Safaris http://www.kneppsafaris.co.uk) during a brief visit on 21st June, it soon became obvious that the species had been on the wing here for a day or two previously. After covering quite a wide area I ended up with a tally of 18 male Purple Emperor - quite impressive bearing in mind that the butterfly hasn't even got going yet! More can be found about attending the guided events (including Purple Emperor walks) or visiting alone, at http://www.kneppsafaris.co.uk/index.php/safaris

Other highlights of my day included my first Purple Hairstreak (11) and Small Skipper (6) of the year. Small Tortoiseshell and Red Admiral were both seen in good numbers and hutchinsoni Comma (pale coloured summer brood) are now hatching. As always I had a great day out on the Estate, this time accompanied by the wonderful soundtrack of purring Turtle Doves (minimum 3).

David M

Post by David M »

My word, Neil, you have been incredibly busy these last few days. Your rewards have been hard earned.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Neil,

Great reports and some beautiful photos as usual. I particularly enjoyed reading the report from the Heddon Valley, brought back memories of last year when we spent 3 nights at the Hunters Inn which gave me plenty of time to explore this wonderful location :D . The HBFs were outnumbering the DGFs then as well, they certainly seem to have had a good couple of years there.

Cheers,

Neil.

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Emperor Numbers Building Fast

The Purple Emperor season in Sussex has got off to a 'flyer'. Yesterday (24th June) I met Paul Fosterjohn (inventor of the highly desirable Purple Emperor pin badge) for a tour of the Knepp Castle Estate rewilding project area (Southern Block). By close of play we had counted 45 individual male Emperors. The only species which could compete numerically was the Meadow Brown.

I later visited the Knepp Safaris (http://www.kneppsafaris.co.uk) campsite, with a well-appointed kitchen under canvas and accommodation including some very cool Shepherd's Huts. I need to live further away so I can justify a holiday here!

I'm hoping that the weather is kind for the first guided walks this coming weekend. Emperor numbers are likely to be well in excess of 50 by then.
UKB PE Knepp 24.6.14.jpg
UKB PE2 Knepp 24.6.14.jpg
UKB Knepp Campsite.jpg
UKB Knepp Campsite kitchen.jpg

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks David and Neil. A single day in the Heddon Valley is insufficient. I'll be back to do it all at a much more leisurely pace.
BWs, Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Marbled White Clouds

On Thursday (26th June) I finished surveying the final compartments of a large mixed woodland and chalk grassland site near Arundel. I had started my counts at the Fairmile Bottom LNR the previous day, but had failed to cover the entire area before I was obliged to head off for a meeting. I invited Colin Knight to join me on the last leg of the survey, as I was already aware that I was seeing one of the best shows of Marbled White I have witnessed in recent times.

The site is managed by West Sussex County Council and there have been some recent changes to the grazing regime. Fairmile Bottom was considered a premier location for butterflies until the mid part of the last century but has held little attraction for butterfly watchers in recent decades, and is now seldom visited for this purpose. However, on the Wednesday evening I had invited my father along to enjoy watching and photographing the Marbled White in its large communal roosts. Great clouds erupted as we walked through areas of longer grass.

When I finished the survey my counts included 720 Marbled White, 158 Ringlet, 67 Meadow Brown, 46 Large Skipper, 38 Small Skipper, 29 Small Heath, 21 Small Tortoiseshell, 19 Dark Green Fritillary, 4 Silver-washed Fritillary, 4 Brimstone, 3 Red Admiral, 3 Speckled Wood, 2 Comma, 1 Common Blue, 1 Brown Argus, 1 Large White and 11 Five-spot Burnet Moth ssp. palustrella. I suspect that between 3000 and 4000 Marbled White are flying over the slope here. Meadow Brown is having a noticeably poor year.

Just before leaving the site I noticed that a Crab Spider had just secured itself a meal in the form of an expendable male Marbled White - you will see a dislodged mite larva Trombidium breei and disarticulated leg in my image.

Also of interest was the always impressive Bee Orchid (at least a dozen), including the bleached form chlorantha (or ?flavescens).
UKB DGF male, Fairmile Bottom, 26.6.14.jpg
Dark Green Fritillary male
UKB SWF male, Fairmile Bottom, 26.6.14.jpg
Silver-washed Fritillary male
UKB Marbled White pair, Fairmile Bottom, 26.6.14.jpg
Marbled White pair
UKB Marbled White vs. Crab Spider, Fairmile Bottom, 26.6.14.jpg
Marbled White and Crab Spider
UKB Bee Orchid var. flavescens - chlorantha, Fairmile Bottom, 26.6.14.jpg
Bee Orchid var. chlorantha/flavescens

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

First Empress

I spent Friday afternoon (27th June) on the Knepp Castle Estate with Matthew Oates, Amy Nightingale (Knepp Safaris http://www.kneppsafaris.co.uk) and a group of West Sussex County Council rangers and volunteers. The strong, gusty south-westerly undoubtedly suppressed aerial activity, but we still managed to chalk up 40 Emperors, including the first female of the season. The wind tended to cool things down a little earlier than we would have liked and I watched a male deliberately searching out a roost for the night, eventually disappearing deep into a high, leafy ash spray at 5.15 pm.

Matthew had earlier located a few White-letter Hairstreak around a small group of elms near the Knepp Safaris glampsite. By 6 pm they were very active and we counted at least a dozen squabbling around the host trees and adjacent oak. This is a good record for Sussex, with known populations showing a strong bias towards the coastal Dutch Elm Disease control zone. It is, of course, greatly under-recorded.
P1420789-edited B&W (small).jpg
Matthew retires to his Knepp Shepherd's Hut to contemplate purpleness

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hit And Miss

Today (28th June) I tried a couple of different venues for Purple Emperor, having spent many hours on the Knepp Castle Estate last week. First port of call was Eartham Woods, which is known to support a population but is seldom visited by butterfly watchers. I found a male searching the crowns of several large sallow near the southern gate within ten minutes of arriving. This venue probably warrants much closer attention and I'm confident they can be lured to the deck along the first couple of hundred metres of track.

I then travelled onwards to Botany Bay, hoping to repeat Katrina's success the previous day. Unfortunately the weather forecast was inaccurate and I never saw the sun. However, at this time of year the humble Ringlet is always on hand to entertain in these woods, and they happily flopped along the tracksides in the cool, damp conditions.
UKB Ringlet, Botany Bay 28.6.14.jpg

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

That photo of Matthew is superb. Yes, it was obviously posed but surely Neil there is a career for you as a professional portrait photographer?
Perhaps more accurate to say that you could have found work as a Victorian photographer. Maybe a touch of sepia and curled corners would enhance :P

As for weather forecasts, I always look at several sources and draw my own conclusions. I find they are seriously wrong as infrequently as one day in 20.

This is one of the best (and easiest):

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weat ... 1404014400

I've even centred it on Worthing especially for your benefit but that and the other data (eg expected rain) can be customised.

Jack

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks Jack. Do take my lambasting of weather forecasters with a pinch of salt :D. Complaining about forecasts is simply a great British tradition. That said, I do remember standing on Chantry Hill in May, in cold, driving rain, with similar visible over the IOW in one direction and over the entire Weald to the north. Both the BBC and Met. Office showed the full sun symbol over Sussex and beyond for that (3 hours for Met.) forecasting period. It was wrong and they should go to prison for it.
BWs, Neil

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic series of reports Neil, my favourite shot is the marbled White and accompanying Crab Spider :D WRT weather reports I've found that down my way the MET and BBC are the least reliable whilst the best is actually the built in App on my iPod with the Weather Channel a close second :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”