Hoggers

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Hoggers

Post by Wurzel »

Glad to see the loss of blood didn't cause camera shake Hoggers :wink: :D Lovely set of White Admiral shots, I especially like the way the light has shown up the black on black markings on the first one :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

After an early finish at work I paid a visit to Lullingstone Country Park in North Kent. I go there most years to see the Dark Green Fritillaries. I'd no idea whether they were out yet at this site but decided to give it a go and I'm glad I did
IMG_2885.JPG
IMG_2889.JPG
IMG_2900.JPG
IMG_2901.JPG
No need for "Jungle Formula" here!!
IMG_2949.JPG
How many did I see? Well, it's difficult to say as sometimes I seemed to be surrounded by them
IMG_2934.JPG
IMG_2937.JPG
IMG_2939.JPG
And then just as suddenly they all seemed to disappear!

But not for long
IMG_2971.JPG
I'd say there were between 20 and 30
IMG_2915.JPG
I saw this heavily marked individual
IMG_2921.JPG
IMG_2928.JPG
Then I happened upon this group of three
IMG_3008.JPG
They'd found a disgusting porridge of poo at the mouth of a burrow and were so happy with it that they were totally oblivious to me
IMG_3010.JPG
They look better on flowers though!
IMG_3026.JPG
Any one who doesn't know where to find them at Lullingstone: from the visitor centre car park walk up the meadow to the wood. Don't go in the wood, turn right and you'll come to the golf course. When the fairway is clear of golfers, cross to the flower-rich bank that you'll see ahead. That's where the DGFs are
IMG_3019.JPG
Well worth a visit
IMG_3023.JPG
Such a beautiful butterfly
IMG_3026.JPG
(Lots of other butterflies there too, many Ringlets, Meadow Browns,Common Blues, Brown Argus, Marbled Whites, Small and Large Skippers and a Small Tortoiseshell)

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Wonderful stuff, Hoggers.

Lullingstone is not far from where I grew up in Sevenoaks. I've visited the nearby Roman ruins but not for DGF - something I will have to put right.

When I lived in Kent recently, I saw it written (by BC Kent branch) that this could be the best site for DGF in the country.

Best wishes,

Lee

To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Cheers Lee, it's the only site for DGFs in Kent that I know of (good for orchids too, I'm told). It's rather odd, being bang in the middle of a golf course, but you're welcome to visit the butterflies just so long as you don't get on the fairway when the golfers are playing thorough!

On my patch today I saw many Meadow Browns, four Large Skippers
IMG_3031.JPG
A Small Skipper cooling off down in the long grass (it was hot this morning!)
IMG_3101.JPG
And a single Marbled White. There were 12 Small Tortoiseshells
IMG_3046.JPG
IMG_3056.JPG
Including this one which was a little worn but had eye-catching large white flashes
IMG_3071.JPG
Along the river I found this batch of Peacock caterpillars
IMG_3094.JPG
And a splendid Comma
IMG_3090.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great reports Hoggers with greta photos :D I especiAlly like the Large Skipper as it looks like a right cheeky choppy in that posture :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Cheers Wurzel, Skippers are just bursting with character and as for being able to suddenly fly off backwards! A tad frustrating when you're hoping to take a photo but you've got to admire them!

Very hot on my dog walk today. Marbled White numbers are building and the same goes for Small Skippers
IMG_3109.JPG
Numerous Meadow Browns, just a couple of worn Common Blues left, about 12 Small Tortoiseshells and as a bonus today, this Clouded Yellow
IMG_3150.JPG
I followed her about
IMG_3129.JPG
IMG_3136.JPG
it was clear that she was egg laying, so hopefully there'll be more to come in late Summer
IMG_3139.JPG

NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

Hoggers,
You have just answered a question I just asked someone here! I was thinking that last year there were a lot of Clouded Yellows seen in southern England and even one here. The ones down south were seen to be laying eggs and given the mild winter I was wondering if any had made it through. Maybe there is hope that we will have some more Clouded Yellows up here this year.
Great pictures of the Dark Green Fritillaries, too.
Nick

David M

Post by David M »

NickMorgan wrote:I was thinking that last year there were a lot of Clouded Yellows seen in southern England and even one here. The ones down south were seen to be laying eggs and given the mild winter I was wondering if any had made it through. Maybe there is hope that we will have some more Clouded Yellows up here this year.
Nick, we even had spring emergees in south Wales that had obviously successfully overwintered, and given that conditions haven't been particularly poor at any time thus far, I'd expect an even bigger number than last year by the end of the summer.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Some great reports and photos Hoggers, I particularly like the sequences of Dark Green Fritillaries and Clouded Yellow :D

Cheers,

Neil.

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

The Clouded Yellow was in the same field where I saw them for the first time last year. Lots of Clover, Bird's Foot Trefoil and Co there. I will keep my eyes peeled for more!

This morning I visited Reculver Country Park hoping that the White Letter Hairstreaks would be out. I arrived at 10am, rather later than I'd hoped, and it was already very warm indeed.

As luck would have it I came across my first WLH almost immediately upon arrival at the spot that I visited last year (although then it was early August)
IMG_3179.JPG
IMG_3178.JPG
IMG_3180.JPG
IMG_3181.JPG
Over the next 90 minutes I was able to easily spot them, mostly as brief "fly pasts" but also when they were on the plentiful Bramble and Privet flowers
IMG_3197.JPG
IMG_3198.JPG
During the course of my visit I'd say I saw 9 WLHs
IMG_3211.JPG
IMG_3215.JPG
IMG_3216.JPG
By about 1130am it was very hot and I could no longer find any of the butterflies. I saw one fly off from the Brambles to roost high in a tree so perhaps that's where the others were too.

I also saw Commas, Red Admirals, Small Tortoiseshells, Small Skippers, Marbled Whites, Meadow Browns, Speckled Woods and a Large White
IMG_3188.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great to see someone else has been able to get some shots of Whitters Hoggers :mrgreen: :D I saw my first at Bentley this weekend but they did 't come down for any photo ops :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Hi Wurzel, I had a bit more luck with Hairstreaks today as well!

My day started off with the usual dog walk. It was rather cool and breezy. As my spaniel thrashed his tail in the long grass he sent up Meadow Browns and Marbled Whites left, right and centre but I managed to creep up on one roosting Marbled White before he came along and knocked it flying
IMG_3260.JPG
IMG_3269.JPG
I then decided to have a stroll around Orlestone Forest. Before going I spray painted myself with "Jungle Formula". I still got bitten but not quite so much. I'm sure I saw a Mozzie wearing a gas mask (although to be fair I think the "Jungle Formula" fumes had got to me by that stage..)

I soon came across White Admirals
IMG_3329.JPG
IMG_3332.JPG
IMG_3335.JPG
IMG_3372.JPG
I saw 25 in total
IMG_3329.JPG
There's something child-like and playful about them
IMG_3351.JPG
I spent a long time just watching them
IMG_3400.JPG
IMG_3434.JPG
IMG_3435.JPG
Beautiful butterflies!

There were also numerous Ringlets
IMG_3314.JPG
And many Meadow Browns, a few Small and Large Skippers, Red Admiral, Speckled Wood and one Marbled White.

After watching the White Admirals I set off for home, just ambling along, not looking for anything in particular, when purely by chance (and just before I would have trodden on it) I saw a little butterfly on the path. I moved him onto a grass stalk
IMG_3456.JPG
A Purple Hairstreak
IMG_3476.JPG
Poor chap looked in a sorry state but nonetheless, still beautiful
IMG_3478.JPG
He was on the path and in deep shadow so it was rather cold. I couldn't leave him there so enticed him onto my finger
IMG_3485.JPG
And walked him a little way from where I'd found him into the sunshine. He responded quickly to the warmth by opening his wings.
IMG_3499.JPG
I set him down and after a minute or so to my delight he took off on those deformed wings of his and flew up into an Oak tree!
IMG_3504.JPG
It was certainly an unexpected way for me to see my first Purple Hairstreak of the year!
IMG_3489.JPG

David M

Post by David M »

What an unexpected find, Hoggers!

Purple Hairstreak at such close quarters is a real bonus.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic stuff Hoggers - you really did strike lucky with Hairstreaks :D Brill White Admirals too :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

It was exciting to find a Purple Hairstreak and to see it at such close quarters. Thank goodness it could still fly.

I saw my first second brood Small Copper this morning
P1060130.JPG
And when I saw this butterfly I thought I'd found an Essex Skipper but looking at the photograph I now believe it's a female Small Skipper
P1060135.JPG
If anyone thinks differently I'd appreciate it if you could let me know.

Cheers,

Hoggers.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I love that type of backlit Small Copper shot Hoggers :D I reckon it could be a Small as the tips of the antennae seem slightly 'tipped' and not as rounded as Essex, mind you I could be wrong - I get the hang of Smessex each year by the end of their flight but by the time I next encounter them I've forgotten all that I learnt the previous year :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Thanks Wurzel, I think it was a female Small Skipper too, particularly as I came across an Essex Skipper this morning and had a chance to refresh my memory of what they look like
IMG_3514.JPG
IMG_3522.JPG
IMG_3528.JPG
I only found two amongst the Small Skippers on my patch
IMG_3529.JPG
IMG_3531.JPG
IMG_3535.JPG
They appeared last year on 27th June, so they're bang on time
IMG_3538.JPG
IMG_3545.JPG
IMG_3549.JPG
IMG_3550.JPG
Many Marbled Whites, Meadow Browns and Small Skippers too
IMG_3563.JPG
IMG_3583.JPG
Summer days!
IMG_3587.JPG

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Early morning out with the dogs and Skippers
IMG_3620.JPG
Just 7am yet the Marbled Whites and Meadow Browns were active too and I came across this gorgeous Small Copper which to my eye appeared very brown
IMG_3634.JPG
When I looked at the photos I could see it had a beautiful smokey burnish to it
IMG_3635.JPG
I had to go to Canterbury to do some shopping this morning but managed to combine drudgery with pleasure by popping in to East Blean Wood on my way home. Rather than search the car park area I walked directly to the clearing where earlier this month I'd found Heath Fritillaries.

Not much in the way of Cow Wheat though I did see a few clumps of it. The first butterflies that I came upon were Red Admirals and White Admirals sharing the brambles
IMG_3639.JPG
He's obviously been about a bit! But this one has fared better
IMG_3770.JPG
And something had had a go at the White Admiral
IMG_3643.JPG
IMG_3648.JPG
A Large White flew overhead and then I saw my first Heath Fritillary lazily flapping towards me
IMG_3654.JPG
IMG_3681.JPG
There were quite a few about, most rather tired-looking but some comparatively fresh, either sunbathing or nectaring
IMG_3727.JPG
IMG_3707.JPG
I enjoyed watching them fly, they seem so dainty and sedate
IMG_3725.JPG
Within seconds of this fritillary settling down to bask in the sunshine he was seen off the premises by the "no nonsense" Large Skipper
IMG_3739.JPG
Leaving him in no doubt just whose patch it was!

Whilst following the fritillaries about, a fast fluttering motion low in the undergrowth caught my eye. I bent down and found myself confronted by a BeheMOTH!
IMG_3747.JPG
An Elephant Hawk Moth. What a splendid animal it is. It was constantly fluttering its wings as if to warn me off. I took the hint and moved away to spend more time watching the Heath Fritillaries
IMG_3761.JPG
A pleasant way to spend a late June sunny Sunday morning.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic stuff Hoggers - those Essex Skippers are fabulous - I need to find me some of those :mrgreen: Love the Heaths too and the Small Copper certainly does look smoky :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

I went for a wander around Dungeness this morning as I wanted to see some Small Coppers. The whole place is in bloom and there are hundreds of butterflies to be found. Meadow Browns and Small Skippers were numerous
IMG_3803.JPG
There were several Small and Large Whites and I saw my first Gatekeepers (5) of the year
IMG_3793.JPG
IMG_3911.JPG
I saw good numbers of Small Heaths and particularly enjoyed watching them chasing around. Here's a picture of Small Heaths and their shadows!
IMG_3894.JPG
My target for the day, the Small Copper, was present in high numbers
IMG_3789.JPG
IMG_3778.JPG
IMG_3797.JPG
IMG_3798.JPG
Little Crackers
IMG_3814.JPG
Some quite worn but always full of character
IMG_3818.JPG
IMG_3821.JPG
Ever vigilant and ready for a punch-up!

Such a delight to find them so plentiful here
IMG_3868.JPG
IMG_3879.JPG
IMG_3892.JPG
Although the first Common Blues appear to be over I did see 5 fresh Brown Argus
IMG_3836.JPG
IMG_3851.JPG
Content in their own little flowery world
IMG_3926.JPG
IMG_3927.JPG
What with Coppers and Skippers and Small Heaths and Brown Arguses all whizzing about in the long grass I had quite a frenetic time trying to take photographs but fortunately even Small Coppers need to take a break now and again
IMG_3905.JPG
Then you can sit down and just enjoy being with them
IMG_3919.JPG

Return to “Personal Diaries”