David M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
William

Re: David M

Post by William »

Hi David,

I was walking round with the warden this morning (must have just missed you) and the general thinking is that the emergence of Large Blue and flowering of its Wild Thyme foodplant are very closely linked, being influenced by the same factors (such as soil temperature). Collard has a very clayey soil compared to other Large Blue sites, and so stores far more water, this in turn lowers the soil temperature and retards the development of Large Blue larvae and Wild Thyme, leading to this amazingly late emergence. This is very apparent on the site with only your Large Blue and a small amount of Thyme in flower, nice Marbled White by the way :D

BWs

William

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Fine report David, Haddon Hill is a wonderful location, superb views and the Heath Fritillary are great too :) I know your a bit casual about them due to your experiences with them in France, but this is 'proper' HF habitat :wink:
William wrote:leading to this amazingly late emergence
By coincidence William, David's sighting of Collard's first Large Blue of the year was on the same date as last year's first emergence - the 14th!!! Thought you might be interested in that bit of info :wink:

Bill :D

"When in doubt...venture out"

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
David M

Post by David M »

Sunday 15th June 2014 - When in doubt...venture out....

I have intentionally plagiarised Bill's (Willrow) signature as it was he who persuaded me to make the trip to Bernwood Forest today. I had grave reservations on account of the gloomy weather forecast - 300 miles is a long, long way to go to see thin air!

Well, Bill's instincts regarding the butterflies were superior to mine and we ended up having a surprisingly good day, in spite of the many frustrating periods when heavier cloud cover put an end to all butterfly activity.

We visited the 'Compensation Area' late in the afternoon last year and decided to spend the entire day there today, ignoring the equally attractive claims of nearby Whitecross Green Wood.

The site is pretty sizeable, and the major positive is that there are many, many areas where Black Hairstreaks can be reliably and easily found, and if we could do it on a cloudy day, I dread to think how many more could be seen on a warm, sunny one.

Here's a small section showing the proximity to the M40, as well as the leaden skies:
P1110080(1).JPG
Out of a total of 6 hours spent here, I doubt if the sun came out for more than 20 minutes, but when it did the Hairstreaks would immediately come to life, swirling around the canopies and occasionally nectaring on the abundant wild privet. Unfortunately, the lowest descent was to about 6 feet; most were 10 feet or more up, making photography challenging. Many were still in decent nick though.
1BHstk(1).jpg
Once the sun went in, they would remain active so long as the cloud cover was fairly light. Once the grey stuff passed over they would disappear, along with everything else.

This gave us opportunities to see a small number of torpid Ringlets and Marbled Whites:
1Ringlet(1).jpg
1MWhite(1).jpg
Contrary to the forecast, the skies actually got greyer as the afternoon wore on, so we called it a day at 4.45, but even with such gloomy conditions the occasional insect could be found nectaring:
2BH(1).jpg
1BH(1).jpg
Numbers seen? My estimate would be about 25, and we found concentrations in at least 3 areas with odd ones elsewhere. Aside from the Hairstreaks, it was nice to see a Comma again today, although White Admirals and SWFs were unsurprisingly absent given the conditions (if they've emerged here at all yet).

Had Bill predicted such numbers in these conditions I'd have told him he was off his rocker. Thankfully, he didn't, otherwise I'd have had to wipe the egg off my face.

Perhaps we owe our good fortune to our canine companion? Guy Padfield has Minnie - well, today we had Millie, who even looks quite similar:
P1110084(1).JPG

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi David,

Black Hairstreak is still a species that I have not seen yet despite them only being 90 minutes away down the M40 for me...shameful, I know :oops: I just always seem to be somewhere else when they emerge and by the time I have the opportunity their short flight season is over. Not sure if I will get the chance again this year now so if not, I really must make them top of my list of targets for next year.

Cheers,

Neil.

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Have to agree David, your Black Hairstreak numbers tally with mine, surprisingly good considering the weather conditions. Will also take this opportunity of thanking you for both the 'lift' (no..! no..! not for the Hairstreak :lol: ) and your company :) and ain't Millie a real cutie!!!

Must ask, whose the good looking guy taking the photo's of the lady taking the photo's :lol:

Super report and pics :wink:

Best Wishes,

David M

Post by David M »

William wrote:Hi David,

I was walking round with the warden this morning (must have just missed you) and the general thinking is that the emergence of Large Blue and flowering of its Wild Thyme foodplant are very closely linked, being influenced by the same factors (such as soil temperature). Collard has a very clayey soil compared to other Large Blue sites, and so stores far more water, this in turn lowers the soil temperature and retards the development of Large Blue larvae and Wild Thyme, leading to this amazingly late emergence. This is very apparent on the site with only your Large Blue and a small amount of Thyme in flower, nice Marbled White by the way :D

BWs

William
Thanks, William. I'm sure you're right. Last year cold temperatures led to a retarded emergence so it's highly plausible, given the habitat requirements of this species, that abnormally wet weather in spring had a similar effect.

Things look to be improving though right now, and one hopes that the Large Blue will appear in greater numbers than in 2013. With warm, sunny weather forecast for at least the next 5 days, one hopes that this iconic species can enjoy an ideal flight period.

David M

Post by David M »

Friday 20th June 2014 - Early morning visit....

I had a morning to spare so I nipped off the the Alun Valley site near Bridgend to track down my first High Brown Fritillaries of the year.

Some 30 or so Fritillaries were seen, though Dark Greens were undoubtedly in the majority, with several females indulging in those distinctive jittery flights close to the ground searching for choice violets on which to lay their eggs.

Three HBFs were positively identified, though given the sunny and warm conditions they didn't settle for long. Thank goodness for the marsh thistles in the 'meadow' as these always provide decent photo opportunities.
1HBF2(1).jpg
1HBF1(1).jpg
Species seen between 9.30and 11.30am were:

Dark Green Fritillary
High Brown Fritillary
Ringlet
Meadow Brown
Small Tortoiseshell
Small White
Large Skipper
Common Blue
Speckled Wood

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Glad your early morning visit paid dividends David, and your fine images suggest that was indeed the case :wink: and there seems to be a good weather forecast for the weekend too 8) ...enjoy!!!

David M

Post by David M »

Thanks, Bill/Wurzel/Pauline. Having HBFs nearby is easily the best thing about living in Swansea.

Sunday 22nd June 2014 - Putting matters right....

For the last couple of years, I've paid mere lip service to two of our most impressive butterfly species: Silver Washed Fritillary and White Admiral.

It seems whenever I'm in an environment where they're present in decent numbers, I'm always on the lookout for other, more elusive species and consequently don't really pay much attention to them.

Today, I decided to put that right by visiting a location where the principal attractions are these two stunners, meaning there wouldn't be any distractions.

Lower Woods, near Wickwar in Gloucestershire, is a place I visited in 2010, and one thing I recall was the huge, huge numbers (100+) of SWFs flying about there. This time, there weren't quite so many, but they were still easy to observe, with several welcome overcast spells allowing close approaches:
1SWFupp(1).jpg
1SWFuns(1).jpg
The way in which this species interacts with its fellows is one of the great joys of British butterflying, and I was treated to quite a bit of it during the two and a half hours I was there:
1SWFpair1(1).jpg
1SWFpair2(1).jpg
White Admirals were a bit harder to locate. The odd one would pop up almost anywhere but would remain infuriatingly esconsced in the canopy, almost teasing me:
1WAtree(1).jpg
Eventually though, I found the stretch of ride where I'd seen a fair few four years ago. Clearly, the right hand shrub line is a hotspot for them here, because there were decent numbers once again:
1LowerWoods(1).jpg
Being so early in their flight season, most if not all were unscarred by bramble damage:
1WAupps(1).jpg
1WAuns(1).jpg
Total species/numbers seen on a glorious day (24c and 75% sunshine):

Ringlet 100+
Meadow Brown 60-100
Silver Washed Fritillary 50-70
Speckled Wood 20-30
Large Skipper 20-30
White Admiral 20-30
Red Admiral 2
Marbled White 2
Comma 1
Small Tortoiseshell 1
Large White 1

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Fine reportage David, lovely crisp images and you may have tempted me into yet another visit over the border, cos' I've a real soft spot for fresh White Admiral :)

David M

Post by David M »

Monday 23rd June 2014 - Sunshine Central.....

I'd spent the weekend in Abergavenny, so given the weather on Monday was so glorious I thought I'd take a detour on my way back to Swansea and pop into Cors Caron, near Tregaron in Ceredigion, to reacquaint myself with Large Heath.

Conditions were as perfect as one can ever expect in this hilly part of mid Wales - 24c, virtually cloudless skies and a light breeze. The site looked inviting in the extreme from the entrance:
1CorsCaron(1).jpg
I spent about 1 hour 20 minutes there and in that time counted 27 Large Heaths, most of which were highly active and in no mood to settle. Thankfully, one particular male decided to alight quite close to the boardwalk and remained in situ for at least 2 minutes:
1LH(1).jpg
Males and females are easily distinguishable in flight so I resolved to wait for the more sandy coloured females in the hope that their greater propensity to settle would enable me to better approach them. Although this proved correct, I reckoned without the grass stems as their tendency was to settle rather low in the undergrowth:
1LHfem1(1).jpg
One thing that struck me for the first time was how blue the 'pupil' of the hindwing eyespots was (pardon the poor image but this was as close as I could get):
1LHfem2(1).jpg
The shrub line in the distance is the southerly limit of this wetland site, and is also the demarcation point for Large Heaths in the UK - south of this line they do not exist:
1sthUKlimit(1).jpg
Dragonflies abound here for those who are into these insects, and Red Kites are a constant presence overhead. All in all a beautiful location on a day such as this and although the butterfly species range is poor (Large Skipper, Ringlet, Meadow Brown & Red Admiral were the only others seen), watching Large Heaths merrily cavorting over a rare landscape such as this is one of the more 'off-beat' pleasures of the UK lepidopterist.

millerd

Post by millerd »

What a lovely looking site! And great pictures - I still need to see this butterfly.

Your comment:

"...the southerly limit of this wetland site, and is also the demarcation point for Large Heaths in the UK - south of this line they do not exist..."

is fascinating - this is the same latitude as Worcester, Northampton and Cambridge! So it's not really a northern species at all... :)

Dave

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Smashing shots of the Large Heath David. Is it just the angle or is that female ovi-posting? Your photo prompted me to look up their larval food plant but I have no idea what jointed rush or cottongrass look like.

David M

Post by David M »

Pauline wrote:Smashing shots of the Large Heath David. Is it just the angle or is that female ovi-posting? Your photo prompted me to look up their larval food plant but I have no idea what jointed rush or cottongrass look like.
Cotton grass is unmistakeable, Pauline, but she wasn't settled on this when the image was taken. I agree that she looks in 'ovipositing mode' though.
Wurzel wrote:Is there any reason why they shouldn't be found further south - is it because of a certain food plant that only grows in more northerly areas or at higher altitudes?
I think the distribution of Large Heaths in the UK very much follows that of blanket/raised bogs, although this doesn't explain their absence from a few sites further south of their range. For instance, there is a perfect location for them just west of Carmarthen near the A40, but they are absent there. I believe there are similarly suitable sites in the SW of England too.

badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Hi David. I stayed at a Bed and Breakfast a couple of times with my son birdwatching in the winter in Tregaron. This spot is fabulous and would be great to revisit in the summer for the Large Heath. You have put a thought in my head for maybe next year. Great stuff. Mind you I wouldn't mind coming over for all those High Browns near to where you are!!

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Couple of good reports from some good days out by the looks David :) I've got Cors Caron on my radar for the next week or so :wink:

David M

Post by David M »

Saturday 28th June 2014 - Uplifting day....

Bill (Willrow) and I decided to spend an entire day searching for Silver Studded Blues on the Pembrokeshire coast today given that the weather forecast favoured the far west of the country for a change.

This proved to be a real blessing as we counted an incredible 101 individuals in a delightful 6 hour visit.
1SSBmaleupp(1).jpg
Females were hard to find at first, but we eventually racked up a dozen or so:
1SSBfemuns(1).jpg
I saw my first Small Skippers of the year including this mating pair:
1SmallSkincop(1).jpg
Another first for 2014 was Grayling, including another mating pair:
1Graylingsincop(1).jpg
I watched the finale to this episode and it was the female who 'detached' herself and simply flew off, leaving the male looking rather bewildered:
1Graylingmale(1).jpg
Regular 'breaks' were taken to soak up the incredible coastal views, and these provided notable moments of pleasure. For instance, several Guillemots were observed on the stacks:
1Guillemots(1).jpg
Even better was a very close encounter with a chough, which we first saw bathing in a freshwater puddle:
1Choughbathing(1).jpg
It then provided another close encounter whilst drying off on the cliff face:
1Choughwipingbeak(1).jpg
Shortly afterwards, we were treated to a parent teaching a juvenile how to feed:
1Choughparentjuvenile(1).jpg
We decamped 3 miles east and just when we thought things couldn't get any better, we discovered eight more Silver Studded Blues in a location that seemingly isn't included in their distribution maps - Broadhaven Bay:
1BroadhavenBay(1).jpg
A couple of magnificent Emperor dragonflies served to heighten the mood still further:
1Emperordragonfly(1).jpg
Butterfly numbers were:

Meadow Brown 150-200
Silver Studded Blue 101 (8 more at Broadhaven Bay, 5 males and 3 females)
Ringlet 30-50
Dark Green Fritillary 20-30
Small Skipper 20-30
Small Heath 15-25
Large Skipper 15-25
Grayling 10-15
Small Tortoiseshell 5-10
Common Blue 3
Red Admiral 2
Large White 1
Small White 1
Green Veined White 1

David M

Post by David M »

Sunday 29th June 2014 - Large Blue Central....

Bill (Willrow) and I visited Daneway Banks today following the positive feedback from others on this site, and we both absolutely concur; it is a magnificent location.

Walking down the lane from the lay by this precipitous hillside emerges into view, imperiously dominating the landscape.

It is a vast site, and, I have to say, much easier on the feet than Collard Hill. What's more, it has capacity to deal with large numbers of visitors which Collard sometimes does not, with often crowds of people setting up 'camp' in the known hotspots.

There is a grassy field adjacent to the entrance to the main site, and Bill & I decided to take a quick look. As I was opening the gate, I spotted a Large Blue on a marsh thistle, so the omens were already very good.

Once on the main site we soon found a very obliging male who was more than happy to pose during an overcast spell:
1LBmaleupp(1).jpg
We moved up towards the upper entrance gate, from where this image was taken:
1Daneway2(1).jpg
Adjacent to this gate is another which leads to the upper part of the site. We went through it and hung around for a minute or two as the territory looked promising. That was judicious because a male flew by and came to rest right by us:
1LBmaleuns(1).jpg
Whilst we were observing this male, a much brighter specimen zoomed into view - our first female of the day:
1LBfemupps1(1).jpg
We spent a delightful 10 minutes or so watching her, but her behaviour perplexed us. Correct me if I'm wrong, but her plant of choice appears to be marjoram:
1LBfemprof1(1).jpg
She had no interest in any other plant, and she kept bending her abdomen as if to oviposit, but she never actually laid because I checked several times once she'd moved on and found nothing. Curious.
1LBfemovi1(1).jpg
In total, we found 15 different Large Blues, although the area with the greatest abundance of wild thyme was strangely bereft of their presence. One male that we did find in this spot was unusually dusky:
1LBmaledusky(1).jpg
Other interesting features of the day were the amazing numbers of Marbled Whites. If I were to put a figure to them then it'd be more than 1,000. They were everywhere (Meadown Browns in similar numbers too).

Species range/numbers were:

Marbled White 1,000+
Meadow Brown 1,000+
Ringlet 200+
Small Heath 50-100
Small Skipper 50-100
Small Tortoiseshell 30-50
Large Skipper 30-50
Large Blue 15
Common Blue 6 (badly faded, which makes their ground colour similar to LB)
Dark Green Fritillary 5-10
Green Hairstreak 2 (practically all the green had worn off these two)
Silver Washed Fritillary 2 (both seen adjacent to the woodland to the west of the site)
Speckled Wood 1
Painted Lady 1
Green Veined White 1

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Nice stuff David, during our visit to Daneway we saw several females ovipositing on Wild Marjoram and were we were able to find the eggs with the aid of our jeweller's eyeglass. While we were there we bumped into Sarah Meridith of the Large Blue project and she confirmed to us that the females do oviposit on Marjoram as well as Thyme.

David M

Post by David M »

Interesting stuff, Mike. I'd always thought Large Blues laid exclusively on thyme. Appears not.

Monday 30th June - Calm before the storm....

With all the travelling over the weekend, I resolved to go local today and check into the Alun Valley High Brown site.

Things look to be just a little early yet; the bramble is generally not yet in flower, nor are the creeping thistles. I think it'll be another 10 days or so before everything really takes off here.

That said, I positively identified 5 High Browns on Old Castle Down, with 7 Dark Greens clocked too. Another dozen or so unidentifiable Frits whizzed by in flight so I suspect numbers haven't reached their peak yet.

I did see my first female HBF of the year though, eagerly nectaring by the shrub line on the Down:
1HBFfem3(1).jpg
1HBFfem4(1).jpg
A decent range of species seen, though in a week or so Whites, Common Blues, White Letter/Purple Hairstreaks, Small Coppers, Peacocks, Brown Argus and Graylings should become far more ubiquitous:

Ringlet 40-60
Meadow Brown 30-50
Large Skipper 20-30
Small Skipper 15-25
Small Heath 10-20
Dark Green Fritillary 7 (probably 15+)
High Brown Fritillary 5 (probably 10+)
Red Admiral 5
Speckled Wood 2
Small Tortoiseshell 2
Small White 1
Brown Argus 1
Small Pearl Bordered Fritillary 1

Return to “Personal Diaries”