MikeOxon

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
MikeOxon

Re: MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

This week saw me visiting Otmoor, once again. On Monday (2nd June), I went in search of the Turtle Doves, which are now regular Summer visitors to the moor. It is always a delight to listen to their purring. The hedgerows were bursting with bird-song, though the singers always show great skill in remaining hidden! I only managed fleeting glimpses of Whitethroats, Reed Buntings, Garden Warbler, Blackcap, and Chiffchaffs.

Butterflies were most noticeable by their absence but, fortunately, my wife was with me and she has much sharper eyes than mine, for spotting 'mini-beasts' along the edges of the paths. First 'spot' was of groups of Peacock larvae clustered on the nettles:
Otmoor, Oxon - 2nd June 2014<br />Nikon D300s with 300/4 + 1.4x TC - 1/180s@f/5.6 ISO800
Otmoor, Oxon - 2nd June 2014
Nikon D300s with 300/4 + 1.4x TC - 1/180s@f/5.6 ISO800
Then a lone Small Tortoiseshell larva looking quite close to pupation:
Otmoor, Oxon - 2nd June 2014<br />Nikon D300s with 300/4 + 1.4x TC - 1/180s@f/9.5 ISO800 (with flash)
Nikon D300s with 300/4 + 1.4x TC - 1/180s@f/9.5 ISO800 (with flash)
When it comes to caterpillars, it seems that moths have all the best colours! These Yellow Tail moths were basking openly on leaves, presumably confident in their defensive spines and warning colours:
Otmoor, Oxon - 2nd June 2014<br />Nikon D300s with 300/4 + 1.4x TC - 1/180s@f/8 ISO800 (with flash)
Nikon D300s with 300/4 + 1.4x TC - 1/180s@f/8 ISO800 (with flash)
Another colourful find was this Red-headed Cardinal Beetle (Pyrochroa serraticornis)
Otmoor, Oxon - 2nd June 2014<br />Nikon D300s with 300/4 + 1.4x TC - 1/180s@f/8 ISO800 (with flash)
Nikon D300s with 300/4 + 1.4x TC - 1/180s@f/8 ISO800 (with flash)
We seem to have entered another wet spell but temperatures are predicted to rise later in the week so, perhaps, more will be on the wing by then.

Mike

P.S. For anyone interested in following the story of 'my' white Starling, I have now written a dedicated webpage at http://home.btconnect.com/mike.flemming/WStarling.htm

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

A wonderful report on the Starlings Mike. Do please keep us informed of their progress and whether you are able to determine eventually the gender of the youngsters.

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Hi Mike,

I think your family of white Starlings are just brilliant. I wonder what the chances are of this phenomenon ever happening again? I`ll leave you to work that out. :wink:

All the best, Nick.

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Lovely bug shot Mike, and what can I add about those magnificent Starlings :wink:

Bill :D

"When in doubt...venture out"

Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Yet another visit to Otmoor, today; this time as a member of a group from the Oxford Ornithological Society. It proved a memorable day, bird-wise, with the highlight being a sighting of Glossy Ibis, to the background accompaniment of a purring Turtle Dove. For me, though, I was especially pleased to see my first Red Admiral of the year, basking at the edge of one of the rides.
Otmoor, Oxon - 8th June 2014<br />Lumix FZ200 - 1/200s@f/6.3 ISO125 (with flash)
Otmoor, Oxon - 8th June 2014
Lumix FZ200 - 1/200s@f/6.3 ISO125 (with flash)
It was a morning of sun and cloud and, after basking with wings open, as a cloud passed over, it obligingly closed its wings for an underside shot when the sun's heat became quite fierce.
Otmoor, Oxon - 8th June 2014<br />Lumix FZ200 - 1/400s@f/6.3 ISO125 (no flash)
Otmoor, Oxon - 8th June 2014
Lumix FZ200 - 1/400s@f/6.3 ISO125 (no flash)
The butterfly looked more pristine in reality than the photo indicates, possibly as a result of using flash for the top-side shot, when the butterfly was in shade. Other butterflies seen included Common Blue and various Whites. One problem of being in a (non-butterflying) group is that one cannot linger too long, to establish the identification of every butterfly seen!

Mike

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

After reading a report on the Oxon Wildlife Blog (http://oxfordshirewildlife.blogspot.co. ... -june.html) that Black Hairstreaks were on the wing in good numbers at Whitecross Green Wood, I decided to make a visit after lunch today.

Whitecross Green Wood is a BBOWT Reserve, a little to the North of the Bernwood complex in Oxfordshire, quite close to the M40 motorway. During the week.,it is usually quiet and has a good selection of bird and plant life, as well as butterflies. Until a few years ago, there were colonies of Wood Whites but these sadly disappeared after changes to the ride management. Fortunately, it remains one of the best sites in Oxfordshire for the Black Hairstreak.

The entrance is an unmarked gate off the minor road that encircles Otmoor. It lies immediately opposite a small thatched cottage, Panshill Cottage, at grid ref. SP599150. A short distance down the track from the first gate, a second gate leads into the Reserve car park.

From the car park, a grassy ride leads in a South-West direction. The ride is not mown at this time of year but two narrow paths are provided, between the profusion of wild flowers, including spectacular numbers of Common Spotted Orchids.
Common Spotted Orchids - 10th June 2014<br />Whitecross Green Wood
Common Spotted Orchids - 10th June 2014
Whitecross Green Wood
After about 220m, a second ride branches off to the left (SE). I initially continued to the end of the first ride, to an area where the Blackthorn has been cut back to encourage new growth. Unfortunately, the sun had found the largest cloud in the sky to hide behind and a strong,cool breeze was blowing straight along the ride, making conditions very unfavourable for butterflies!

I returned to the junction and took the South-East ride, which leads, after about 600m to one of the best areas for Black Hairstreak in the wood.
Whitecross Green Wood - 10th June 2014
A Silver Birch on the right hand side of the ride is a good marker and, in another 100m or so, the whole width of the ride has been mown, no doubt to cater for the expected throng of visitors during the next few weeks. All along this ride I saw lots of Large Skippers, several Dragonflies, and heard continuous bird song.
Whitecross Green Wood - 10th June 2014<br />Lumix FZ200 - 1/250s@f/4 ISO125
Lumix FZ200 - 1/250s@f/4 ISO125
You will soon see a turning to the left marked 'Pond' and this junction is the 'hot spot'. At first, I found very little, as the sun dodged in and out of cloud, but a more settled spell of sunshine brought a pair of tiny dark shapes jinking around the upper new growth of the Blackthorn by the pond.

These butterflies are difficult! They appear and disappear amongst the fronds in an instant and can suddenly zoom to a different area altogether. After watching for a while, I returned the short distance back from the pond to the junction and scanned the south facing bank of Blackthorn. Again, I kept getting brief glimpses until, at last, I spotted one resting amongst the leaves. It was difficult to get a clear view, especially as the butterfly was tilting its wings towards the sun, away from an observer below!
Whitecross Green Wood - 10th June 2014<br />Lumix FZ200 - 1/500s@f/4 ISO125
Lumix FZ200 - 1/500s@f/4 ISO125
At around 4pm, there seemed to be a flurry of activity as about half a dozen of these butterflies congregated around the higher branches of the untrimmed Blackthorn on the Southern side of the ride (against the sun!). It is quite difficult to pick out resting butterfly under these conditions, since the new leaf tips have a similar red colour.and shape. The following shot is typical of the view an observer can expect to see.
Whitecross Green Wood - 10th June 2014<br />Lumix FZ200 - 1/320s@f/4 ISO125
Lumix FZ200 - 1/320s@f/4 ISO125
Another distraction is provided by Speckled Wood butterflies, which can fly up amongst the Blackthorn in a similar manner.
Whitecross Green Wood - 10th June 2014<br />Nikon D300s with 90mm Tamron macro lens - 1/250s@f/8 ISO800
Nikon D300s with 90mm Tamron macro lens - 1/250s@f/8 ISO800
I felt that I saw at least a dozen different BH individuals during my visit and suspect that numbers will increase over the next few days, if fine weather holds, so this could be a good year for them at Whitecross!

Mike

LancsRover

Post by LancsRover »

Hi Mike, Thanks for your comprehensive report on Black Hair-streaks at White Cross today. I came down a little late last year and with the weather not being great, I only managed one record shot (at the top of a blackthorn bush near the pond).
I'm trying to get down on Friday/Saturday of this week, the forecast is looking promising (at the moment), and I hope to get a decent photo this time but as you say these b/f's are not easy.

Thanks again for your report, Russ.

William

Post by William »

Really like your second Black Hairstreak Mike, lovely soft lighting :)

BWs

William

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Many thanks to all who have commented on my diary. I realise that, although Black Hairstreak is local for me, it involves quite a trek for many and is a 'special' butterfly. I have tried to provide some helpful guidance to those for whom this is a 'lifer'

I'd also recommend to bring a long-focal length lens, if you have one. I was using full zoom on my Lumix most of the time, since you have to be lucky to get close with a macro lens. The following is a crop from one of my macro shots:
Whitecross Green Wood,Oxon - 10th June 2014<br />Nikon D300s with 90mm Tamron macro lens - 1/250s@f/8 ISO800 (heavily cropped)
Whitecross Green Wood,Oxon - 10th June 2014
Nikon D300s with 90mm Tamron macro lens - 1/250s@f/8 ISO800 (heavily cropped)
and here's one that almost got away...
Whitecross Green Wood,Oxon - 10th June 2014<br />Lumix FZ200 - 1/1000@f/4 ISO125
Whitecross Green Wood,Oxon - 10th June 2014
Lumix FZ200 - 1/1000@f/4 ISO125
Mike

Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Hi Mike,
I think the Black Hairstreak will have to remain on my long-term wish list. I'm not about to see one down here. As I use the FZ150, I sympathize for the distant shots on full zoom, which are only good for "record" shots, although I find the FZ150 quite versatile for close-up and medium range shots. My shutter speed will go up to 1/2000 which is barely fast enough to guarantee a satisfactory frozen shot in flight - that's about my only regret so far.
Chris

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Thank you Chris. I'm in a bit of a dilemma over cameras at the moment! While the FZ200 is a remarkable piece of kit, combining huge versatility with a lightweight package, the small sensor cannot hope to match the performance of a DSLR. The differences can be quite subtle at times and I think are largely due to the reduced dynamic range of the smaller sensor. I have tried using a monopod with the Lumix, which helps a lot with long tele shots. My aim yesterday was to to try a 'lightweight' kit of Lumix plus Nikon with just the macro lens. As things turned out, I never got a chance with the the macro. The example I show is heavily cropped and, in that comparison, I think the Lumix wins.

My main problem with the Lumix is its relatively slow operation. I missed a shot of a fox on the path because the Lumix took so long to start up, wasted precious moments informing me 'Sleep Cancel' and then seemed to take forever to zoom, by which time I just saw the brush disappearing into the hedge! If I'd had the tele on the Nikon, it would have been lift, shoot...done. Another problem with carrying two cameras is that it creates a moment of indecision - which shall I use.

Mike

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Really well done with the BH Mike - all the better for them being in the right place at the right time :D

I, too, find the Lumix slow Mike and have been in exactly that situation with a fox, and also with a Red Kite the other day which gave me the closest view I've ever had. Perhaps a DRSL is on the cards after all :wink:

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Thank you, Pauline. As you know, I'm still feeling my way with the Lumix but slowness of operation is a pain after a DSLR. It's a bit better than some compacts but still a potential frustration, if you want to take 'grab shots'! Do try a DSLR but aim to keep the weight down - there are plenty of options that are much lighter than my kit. Don't compromise on the sensor size - nothing smaller than 'APS-size'.

Mike

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

With a good weather forecast today (17th June), I decided to visit Daneway Banks, a little West of Cirencester, to look for Large Blue. This Gloucestershire Wildlife Trust site is much nearer to my home than Collard Hill and is also a much quieter place to visit.

It's a place which I always enjoy, both for the location, with rolling hills and a mix of woodland and flower-filled meadows, and for the variety of both flora and fauna. The following general view along one of the main paths shows a patch of orchids in the foreground, with both Common Spotted and Pyramidal Orchids in view. Other Orchids on the reserve include Bee and Fragrant orchids.
Daneway Banks Reserve, Glos.- 17th June 2014
Daneway Banks Reserve, Glos.- 17th June 2014
From the butterflies' point of view, an important feature is the many Thyme-covered ant-hills, dotted throughout the reserve.
Ant-hill at Daneway Banks - 17th June 2014
Ant-hill at Daneway Banks - 17th June 2014
I soon spotted my first Large Blue - a female laying on a Thyme flower.
Daneway Banks, Glos - 17th June 2014<br />Nikon D300s with 90mm Tamron macro lens - 1/180s@f/4.8 ISO400
Daneway Banks, Glos - 17th June 2014
Nikon D300s with 90mm Tamron macro lens - 1/180s@f/4.8 ISO400
After laying, she moved into an area of long grasses, where she adopted a head-down roosting position.
Daneway Banks, Glos - 17th June 2014<br />Nikon D300s with 90mm Tamron macro lens - 1/125s@f/16 ISO400
Nikon D300s with 90mm Tamron macro lens - 1/125s@f/16 ISO400
I had brought both my Nikon DSLR and Lumix FZ200 bridge cameras on this trip. I used the Nikon for macro shots and the Lumix mainly for general site views. The small-sensor Lumix is also excellent for setting a butterfly within the overall context of the site, because of the wide-angle lens and great depth of field that can readily be achieved.
Daneway Banks, Glos - 17th June 2014<br />Panasonic Lumix FZ200 - 1/1000s@f/5.6 ISO125
Panasonic Lumix FZ200 - 1/1000s@f/5.6 ISO125
Of course, I was hoping for an open-wing shot but, initially, I only got a quick flick of the wings for a tantalisingly brief view of the upper-side markings. The contrast between the deep blue of the main wing area and the reddish-brown outer fringes was very striking on this female.
Daneway Banks, Glos - 17th June 2014<br />Nikon D300s with 90mm Tamron macro lens - 1/125s@f/16 ISO400
Nikon D300s with 90mm Tamron macro lens - 1/125s@f/16 ISO400
Further into the reserve, I was very fortunate to find a very dark-winged male, basking with wings spread, close to the path.
Daneway Banks, Glos - 17th June 2014<br />Nikon D300s with 90mm Tamron macro lens - 1/180s@f/6.7 ISO400
Nikon D300s with 90mm Tamron macro lens - 1/180s@f/6.7 ISO400
My visit wasn't just about Large Blues, since many other butterflies were enjoying the carpet of flowers in the sunshine. Species seen included Large Skipper, Brown Argus, Common Blue, Small Heath, Meadow Brown and Ringlet. Marbled Whites were especially abundant and, at times, each foot-fall raised another cloud of these attractive butterflies. They are very sensitive to movement and proved difficult to photograph, until I found this female willing to pose for me:
Daneway Banks, Glos - 17th June 2014<br />Nikon D300s with 90mm Tamron macro lens - 1/180s@f/6.7 ISO400
Nikon D300s with 90mm Tamron macro lens - 1/180s@f/6.7 ISO400
Towards the end of my visit, the peace was somewhat shattered by two over-flying B52 aircraft, probably heading for RAF Fairford.

Mike

CJB

Post by CJB »

Good morning Mike,

I was hoping you were going to post about LB's at Daneway and Voila! :D

I am going there on Friday morning and keeping my fingers firmly crossed as it would be incredible to add it to my list. I assume I park at the Inn and head up the hill :wink:

Do they have DGF's there as, of all the species I am yet to snap, that seems an easy one for this year?

My list of home species is growing: SWhite, LWhite, GVWhite, OTip, STort, SCopper, Peacock, MBrown, BArgus, CBlue, RAdmiral, Brim, SWood, Comma and keeping fingers crossed for a WLH.

Flutter on!

CJB

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

There's a small car park just before the road from Sapperton crosses the bridge by the Inn. The roof of the Inn can be seen in the bottom right corner of the photo above, with the village of Sapperton in the distance.

I only saw one distant Fritillary, yesterday, but took the following photo on the reserve in July last year, so there's a good chance of finding them there: catching up with one is the main problem :)
Daneway Banks, Glos. - 5th July 2013<br />Nikon D300s with 300/4 lens + 1.4X TC - 1/350s@f/9.5 ISO400
Daneway Banks, Glos. - 5th July 2013
Nikon D300s with 300/4 lens + 1.4X TC - 1/350s@f/9.5 ISO400
Mike

CJB

Post by CJB »

Thanks Mike!

Fingers crossed for the weather and LB on Friday morning! A DGF would be a bonus too! Have you seen any hairstreaks there?

Just opposite the inn there is a public footpath towards the wood and I have scoped the field which has a lot of ant hills covered in thyme so I might have a quick peak there too.

I will report back!

Flutter on!

CJB

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Mike, just love your photo's , the Marbled white is a lovely Butterfly , I can't wait to see it and get a photo, your Large Blues also look great :mrgreen: I'll have to wait another year to see them I think Goldie :D

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Thank you so much, Goldie. i agree about the Marbled White and I enjoyed your NBA photos, too. We need somewhere in the middle of the country where all the Southern and Northern species could get together. :D

Mike

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking shots of Large Blues Mike :mrgreen: :D Still to see my first ever but hopefully that will happen this weekend.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”