Large Copper

roundwood123

Large Copper

Post by roundwood123 »

I watched last nights episode of Nature of Britain a users guide on BBC4 which included a bit on why the Large Copper failed to establish a viable colony at Woodwalton Fen, Chris Packham seemed to suggest that because the fen is a small wildlife haven surrounded by arable fields the project was dooomed from the start, i would be interested in other opinions on why the attempts failed and if any other re-colonisation projects are currently being made.
p.s the film of the Large Copper in all its life cycle was very interesting.
Dave Mac

Post by Dave Mac »

I also watched the program but unfortunately I don't have an opinion on why the large copper project failed. However what I found striking is the number of programs this year (at least six) that have some butterfly conservation content. This would appear to be a good thing no matter which way you look at it, or perhaps its its always been like this and my newly awakened interest is exaggerating the situation
Dave
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

After the Woodwalton Fen reintroduction was abandoned, there was talk of a reintroduction in the Norfolk Broads, but I do not know if that got as far as actual flying butterflies - at any rate I can find very little information on it.

The Large Copper may yet return to Woodwalton one day, as there is a very large habitat creation project going on next door:

http://www.greatfen.org.uk/

Return to “General”