Pauline

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Maximus

Re: Pauline

Post by Maximus »

Beautiful images Pauline of your male (inflating his wings), and your female Brown Hairstreaks :D Great pics of the Silver-washed Fritillary too :D Brilliant that you saw the White-letter Hairstreaks :D

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

Pauline wrote:I'd be interested to know how to guard against Hairstreak Neck as I suffer from it every year!
I'm not joking. Every year at this time I resolve to roll my head around my neck as often as possible to make myself as flexible as possible.

Last year I spent about 3 hours under a single elm tree at Alun Valley, Glamorgan, looking skywards and the human body simply isn't designed for this type of folly! :)

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Absolutely fantastic shots Pauline an now you have the complete set of Hairstreaks :mrgreen: :mrgreen: So much is emerging I don't know where to go first! :( :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

PhilBJohnson

Post by PhilBJohnson »

Hi Pauline,
Great posts and pictures. I have a day off work today and there is plenty of inspiration here in your diary for me (particularly with the first sightings).
I do hope "Hairstreak neck" doesn't turn into "Purple Emperor neck" in a few weeks time :)
Best wishes.

Kind Regards,
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you Mike -your own shots haven't been too shabby recently either :wink: :mrgreen: . PM on its way to you soon.

If you are deadly serious about it helping David then I am all for giving it a go myself as I have every intention of returning to Cosham to give my neck yet more punishment :roll:

I hope you have had a great day Phil - I shall look forward to seeing the results. Thank you for your comment on my diary.

I'm pleased you liked my latest posts Wurzel.
Wurzel wrote:So much is emerging I don't know where to go first!
-

you're not wrong there Wurzel. I am in exactly the same position myself and certainly haven't had time to notice the usual 'June Gap'.

I haven't actually recorded all of my 'first' sightings yet and I am getting a bit behind as I am seeing them faster than I can record them :D (I am not complaining). 8.00am this morning saw me on Butser Hill and what a glorious morning it was. The view was wonderful, the skylarks were singing their hearts out, and although it was warm and sunny the slight breeze was refreshing and welcome, even if a little frustrating for taking photos.
P1340084d.jpg
P1340078d.jpg
I am ashamed to confess that this site is only 10 minutes away from me and yet I think it is 3 years since I have visited. The car park which used to be £1.00 is now £3.00 and many of the old rustic stiles seem to have been replaced by gates. Overall, the place looked more 'managed' than I remembered it. There were few folk around and the many species of butterflies were all becoming active. I was greeted by several fresh Small Tortoiseshell which seemed to glow in the morning sun and the whole area was peppered with Common Blues fluttering low down, but what surprised me was the number of fresh Grizzled and Dingy Skippers. I scrutinised a couple of Small Coppers but no blue spots :( (will I ever find one!) but most plentiful were the Small Heath which seem to be having another good year. Skippers whizzed past me and in the distance I could see a larger, pale coloured butterfly which turned out to be a female Brimstone. The butterfly I spent most time with this morning was a joy to behold but never still for long. In the past I have traveled a considerable distance to see this species but have always found them difficult to photograph and today was no exception. I managed to snatch a few shots as he stopped briefly to nectar:
P1340092ad.jpg
P1340095ad.jpg
P1340110ad.jpg
P1340116ad.jpg
There's always a blade of grass where it's not wanted :roll:
Last edited by Pauline on Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Pauline fantastic photo's as usual, I can't pick and choose I like them all Goldie :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D

Mike Robinson

Post by Mike Robinson »

Interesting commentaries and some wonderful pictures.

David M

Post by David M »

Pauline wrote:
There's always a blade of grass where it's not wanted :roll:
Tell me about it! :(

It's an occupational hazard where fritillaries are concerned.

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Hi Pauline

Just catching up with your diary, you have been busy :D It is lovely to see the summer fritillaries, hopefully I can find some early ones this weekend. White Letter Hairstreak was a must see species last year and this, yet I have still to see one. I drive past the Cosham site nearly every day but it never seems to be at the right time to drop in. I find it always a compromise this time of year picking a good site to visit when I only have one day in the week (if I am lucky) to do it. You seem to have quite a few good sites close by. I am thinking of perhaps heading over your way at the weekend, your local Silver Studded Blue site looks fantastic. Your Brown Hairstreaks are beautiful, no sign of my Purple one emerging yet but I am sure It will not be too long.

Keep up the good work :D

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you Goldie - I appreciate your comment. Cracking shot of the Large Skipper by the way, with the uncluttered background that I think you were aiming for. Well done.

Thank you too Mike. I always find it difficult to get a decent shot early in the season as the newly emerged males are usually just too frantic and focused on finding a mate.

Not just Frits David in my experience anyway. Just wish I could do more than cropping and brightening with photoshop :roll:

Great to hear from you again Paul. I have been waiting for news of your PH so it is good to know all is still on track. I have 2 local sites for SSB's Paul - Bramshott and Broxhead, both totally different types of environments. The latter is some way behind the former in terms of numbers and I haven't seen any females at Broxhead yet. I am certainly lucky to have around 10 good sites really close to me so I am spoilt for choice.

Much to my surprise, yesterday afternoon, a gorgeous female BH emerged from a pupa I originally thought had died. I had to revise that opinion when the pupa started to darken of course , but the emergence was still unexpected as all of the other butterflies had emerged in the morning. As it was quite late in the day the plan was to release it early today, weather permitting, after the usual couple of photos. Despite being in a reasonable sized net cage containing plenty of Blackthorn and nectar, like a few of the others before her she opted to roost by hanging from the net roof. At 1.30am this morning I was woken by the overhead crashes of thunder and lightening which was soon followed by torrential and prolonged rain. My first thought was for the butterfly, so 2.00am this morning found me out in the midst of the storm, wearing very little, rummaging around the garage for some plastic sheeting to cover the cage. I am so pleased I did despite the drenching I received as this morning there must have been at least a bucketful of water collected in the plastic and I dread to think what bedraggled state the little insect would have been in otherwise. The couple of shots I managed to get before her departure:
P1340172ad.jpg
P1340187ad.jpg

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Despite the changeable and unpredictable weather today I opted for a mid-day walk on Chalton Down, another local site and a little gem. Best known for the Chalkhill Blues but today, despite unfavourable conditions it still had a lot to offer.
P1340289d.jpg
Once again I was greeted by the song of the Skylarks and the mewing of the Buzzards but I soon became aware of the purring of a pair of Turtle Doves. Try as I might I could not see them until they flew out of the tree and whilst I was 'stalking' them I flushed a very fresh Ringlet - my first of the season, but to my frustration it flew over a patch of brambles and was lost. Nevertheless, there was plenty of other butterflies to focus on, not to mention the many moths which flew up at every step. The Common Blues ranged from reasonably fresh to really quite worn but the brand new DGF (2 individuals) ranged across the site.

I was happy to be able to photograph another first for the season, the Marbled White, which I found hunkered down amongst the grass:
P1340318ad.jpg
The changeable weather worked in my favour as I was able to take the following shots, although it wasn't always an easy angle and involved lying in the wet grass at times :lol:
P1340255ad.jpg
P1340200ad.jpg
P1340228ad.jpg
P1340319ad.jpg
P1340237ad.jpg
Whilst on site I stumbled across this caterpillar and would be grateful if anyone could provide an ID.
P1340332ad.jpg

Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Hi Pauline
Looks like six spot Burnet to me :D
Kind regards
Mark

The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
Mike Robinson

Post by Mike Robinson »

There is so much more to Butterfly Watching * than just looking for Butterflies!

* I go Bird Watching but Butterfly Watching doesn't really sound right. Butterfly Spotting? Not really either.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great shots of the DGF Pauline - another species that I'm still waiting for :mrgreen: I know what you mean about the blades of grass - even if you can hold the camera so the grass isn't in shot the wind will blow it into shot :x I'm tempted to take a pair of shears with me when I venture out onto the grasslands :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thanks for that ID Mark - there must be so many of them around I'm surprised I haven't noticed one before. On the subject of ID's, I'm sure you were right about the WA as there were 2 there today.

I'm not really sure what us butterfly folk should be called Mike - mad, probably :wink: :lol: . I do know that most of us are interested in lots of other creatures and when butterflies are thin on the ground you will find photos of birds and plants and a whole lot more creeping in.

You wouldn't be the first to carry a pair of shears with you Wurzel (well, scissors actually) :wink: . Thank you for your comment.

Today I decided to pop up to the Straits as Mark had reported a possible sighting of WA from there. I was sure he would be right - and so he was. Not far from the entrance, just past the first track on the right which leads to Camilla Corner, I almost trod on a White Admiral. I was taken by surprise as it was only 9.00am and it was really quite chilly but I got a good look at it as it fluttered up to the trees. Deja Vu! Exactly what happened with the Ringlet the other day. I decided to hang around the area to see if it would come down when the sun came out and in the meantime I was able to get some shots of a few different Ringlets, one of which looked quite worn.
P1340358ad.jpg
P1340348ad.jpg
P1340362ad.jpg
P1340368ad.jpg

The sun did eventually come out and I looked up to see 2 White Admirals sparring in and around the canopy. A couple of times one came down and landed on branches about 12' high but before I could get a record shot it flew off again. It wasn't long before the cloud came over again and they disappeared from sight. Watch this space!

Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

I have an easy life in my South of France butterfly paradise, but your Brown Hairstreak photos from June 14th do leave me in awe Pauline. Bravo!
Chris

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Some really great photos in your last few updates Pauline, it is getting difficult to keep up with things with everything that is beginning to fly now...what a great problem to have! :D

All the best ,

Neil.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely Ringlets Pauline :D Looking forward to when you do catch up with the WA's :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Lovely photos in your recent posts Pauline, Dark Green Fritillaries, your beautiful Brown Hairstreaks, Marbled Whites and stunning Ringlets :D

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

It's very kind of you to say so Chris and I very much appreciate your comment. I do read your diary but the stunning array of species tends to leave me speechless. I particularly enjoy your lovely images of the Hairstreaks that we don't get here as they are my favourite group.

Thank you Neil - yes, it's a little bit manic here but lovely being spoilt for choice.

I must return the compliment Mike as your Ringlets are lovely and you did incredibly well to get such a great shot of the WA as the weather was definitely not conducive to that species yesterday.

Thank you Wurzel. I might have managed a photo yesterday but had to spend a couple of hours in the docs as they think I may have Lyme's disease and are arranging blood tests. Anyway, I set off this morning determined to get a photo of a WA - just for you :wink: :D . After a brief search I did indeed find one but I was not prepared for my first photo to be of a life and death struggle:
P1340502ad.jpg
Naturally, my first instinct was to 'rescue' this beautiful butterfly whose short life was ending so tragically without the opportunity to mate. However, I had heard that once a spider gets hold of a butterfly it injects it with some sort of toxin which paralyses it before death so I was obliged to let nature take its course and be satisfied with recording the event.
P1340510ad.jpg
P1340551ad.jpg
P1340517ad.jpg
P1340560d.jpg
I did go on to find another WA which was very much alive and would only allow distance shots (and the SWF was also very much in evidence)
P1340479ad.jpg
P1340481ad.jpg
(Note the spider in the background!)

Return to “Personal Diaries”