Hoggers

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Hoggers

Re: Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

When I finished work this morning there was only one place I wanted to go: East Blean Wood. I'd seen Marc's posting in Sightings that the Heath Fritillaries were out, the sun was shining and the wood is only 15 minutes away from where I work: perfect!

But when I got to the car park I was rather disappointed because after a good search around the car park area I only saw two Heath Fritillaries
IMG_2327.JPG
The place seemed empty without them. In past years I've stepped out of my car and been surrounded by the butterflies but that certainly wasn't the case today. So I was feeling rather downcast at the near absence of fritillaries when I had the good fortune to bump into the Kent Wildlife Trust Warden who was there to walk his butterfly transect.

He said that numbers of Heaths at East Blean have fallen and that the best population is now to be found in West Blean Wood (accessed via Braggs Lane I think he said) where they've been on the wing since 20th May.

I asked if there are any good spots for them at East Blean as the car park area was,today at least, all but bereft of butterflies. He kindly showed me to a clearing a little way into the wood where I saw Heath Fritillaries but not in any great numbers ( I'd say around 12-14 of them)
IMG_2297.JPG
IMG_2300.JPG
It may be that East Blean is a late site for this butterfly and that many more are on their way but just in case anyone-else finds the car park area as quiet as I did today here's some directions on how to find the clearing:

Take the path from the car park that is accessed by stepping over a tree trunk. This path then leads to another where you turn right and walk along a short distance until you see on your left that trees have been cleared. This is the clearing where the butterflies are
IMG_2333.JPG
It's not much of a clearing though! The large trees are gone but since then a good deal of Sweet Chestnut bushes and brambles have appeared
IMG_2348.JPG
But you can move about in there easily enough
IMG_2395.JPG
I enjoyed watching the fritillaries. It was hot and they were active. I especially like to watch them glide, they look so dainty.

Fortunately now and again one would take a break and let me get close enough to take a photograph
IMG_2349.JPG
I'll have to go back in a few weeks' time to see how they're getting on.

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
nomad

Post by nomad »

Hi Hodggers

I went to East Blean last year without prior knowledge where to look, I believe I found your second site first, the newly cleared clearing where there was a mass of cowwheat, I only saw one Heath Fritillary. later, I came to the car park area and saw many heath fritillaries towards the End of June. Many were still fresh. Surely, one of the more easy butterflies to see if you do not mind travelling far, for those that do not not live in Kent. You step from your car and there they are. I went by train and bus.

Regards Peter.

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Hi Peter, yes it's very nice to park up, open the door and see the butterflies!

There's a large patch of Cow Wheat close to the car park but when I arrived yesterday it was in heavy shade. I did find a Heath caterpillar there last week though.

The "clearing" I was shown to by the KWT Warden and where I found a dozen Heaths yesterday had very little in the way of Cow Wheat. The Warden said that the area had been cleared two years ago and both Cow Wheat and Heath Fritillaries thrived there but now unfortunately the "clearing" is rather overgrown with a consequent loss of Cow Wheat.

I had a pleasant surprise when walking the dogs this morning. In amongst the Common Blues and Brown Argus I not only saw my first Meadow Brown of the year but came across this Small Blue
IMG_2403.JPG
I've walked this area for 30 years or so and never before have I seen a Small Blue!

I don't know of any Small Blue colony near by
IMG_2402.JPG
Interestingly it was only a few weeks ago that I came across the first Green Hairstreak that I have ever seen on my Patch.

Who knows, maybe tomorrow I'll see a Swallowtail!

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

It must be great to just park up and see Heath Fritillary, where I venture out for the species on Exmoor its been described as 'extreme butterflying' owing to the rough terrain :roll: but I guess that's butterflying...taking the rough with the smooth and these days I like smooth :lol:

Great report and photo's Hoggers :wink:

Bill :D

"When in doubt...venture out"

Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking shots of a butterfly I would love to see Hoggers :D :mrgreen: I have had Heath Frits as a Target for the last three years but I just can't bring myself to make the long journey to get them...I might have to bite the bullet this year.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

Lovely Heath Fritillaries! The first time I saw them at East Blean, in one of my photos you can make out my car in the background - they were that close to the car park.

Dave

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Thanks for the comments,guys. I'm very lucky to work so close to where the Heaths live. The car park at East Blean is always the place to see them and I hope numbers pick up there soon, but the "clearing" where I found a dozen or so is quite close to the car park in any event.

Today I went down to Dungeness. Lots of Small Tortoiseshells
IMG_2419.JPG
IMG_2437.JPG
And Small Heaths
IMG_2422.JPG
IMG_2426.JPG
Also saw a Painted Lady, Red Admiral, Large White, a Meadow Brown and Common Blues.

The biggest surprise came with this splendid female Clouded Yellow that was busily taking on nectar
IMG_2498.JPG
IMG_2468.JPG
It was the only one that I saw and I was delighted to see it
IMG_2504.JPG
IMG_2517.JPG
As always, I had fun trying to get a "Fly By" shot!
IMG_2526.JPG
But it was nice just to sit back and enjoy being with such a beautiful butterfly
IMG_2521.JPG
IMG_2523.JPG
IMG_2524.JPG
IMG_2496.JPG

David M

Post by David M »

Majestic open-winged shot, Hoggers. :)

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking Clouded Yellow Hoggers :D I love the backlit shots, they always look great when in that pose :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

I paid my annual visit to the Doctor yesterday
IMG_2645.JPG
IMG_2619.JPG
IMG_2620.JPG
IMG_2621.JPG
What a generous man/woman the Doctor is to welcome Swallowtails AND their admirers!
IMG_2547.JPG
My Dad, brother and I watched two Swallowtails in the garden, chasing each other and then visiting the flowers
IMG_2556.JPG
IMG_2608.JPG
How wonderful it must be to have Swallowtails just outside your front door!
IMG_2534.JPG
We spent most of our time here
IMG_2614.JPG
IMG_2619.JPG
IMG_2620.JPG
IMG_2621.JPG
but did venture onto the reserve where we saw 3 Swallowtails flying over the reeds

On our way home we stopped off at Westleton Common where the Silver Studded Blues were out and about
IMG_2656.JPG
IMG_2662.JPG
IMG_2730.JPG
IMG_2731.JPG
And doing what they do best
IMG_2678.JPG
IMG_2710.JPG
We visited only a small part of the Common and our time there was limited but we managed to see about 8 of them
IMG_2734.JPG
Another memorable trip!

David M

Post by David M »

Wow! You've really put some effort in lately, Hoggers.

Nice to see these species in image form. Excellent stuff.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Swallowtails :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Silver Studs :mrgreen: I need to get out more :? :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Hi David, I've put in some effort but my mileage must pale into insignificance compared with your epic journey in search of Chequered Skippers! A Butterfly Too Far for me, I fear!

Hi Wurzel, I'm sure you've got some exciting butterfly trips planned and I look forward to reading about them!

My day got off to a good start with a Clouded Yellow on my morning walk with the hounds
P1060027.JPG
I also saw 14 Small Tortoiseshells!

With the sun still shining I decided to take a stroll around Orlestone Forest on the look out for White Admirals. Well, after about an hour I finally came across one
IMG_2737.JPG
IMG_2757.JPG
I was over the moon to see it
IMG_2757.JPG
IMG_2763.JPG
IMG_2765.JPG
There was a ditch between us so I couldn't get close but nonetheless had the opportunity to take a few photos and to watch it flying in its green and leafy world
IMG_2766.JPG
IMG_2769.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I just can't keep up with this Hoggers :shock: :lol: White Admirals - I'm still waiting for my local Silver Studs to emerge! Still no Large Blues though, at least there's that. :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Mike Robinson

Post by Mike Robinson »

Some stunning pictures.
I think these Diaries are very good; I'm gonna learn a lot about Butterflies &c. And enjoy doing it!

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Lovely White Admiral Hoggers, both the butterfly and your photos. Oh, and I mustn't forget your Swallowtails which I gazed at longingly and with envy :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Hi Hoggers

Great to see you have found some Clouded Yellows on your patch :D Hopefully there will be plenty more around again this year and maybe some more Long Tailed Blues as well :wink: Your Swallowtails are also lovely, that is one I have not seen. If things keep going the way they seem to be maybe we wont have to travel very far to see those either :D

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Thanks for your comments,guys. Much appreciated.

I needed a blood transfusion after my visit to Orlestone in search of White Admirals. The Mozzies had at least an arm-full off me.

Note to Self : Buy some "Jungle Formula"!!

Seeing Swallowtails in the Doctor's garden is a wonderful experience. They fly in from the RSPB Reserve to nectar and you can get up close to them, they know no fear of us and it's just a magical thing to have them around you. When we visited there was only one other observer present so it was quiet and peaceful.

This weekend has been pretty grotty down here in Kent, very cloudy during the day (the cloud maddeningly disappears early evening!) and cool. Not much chance of seeing any Clouded Yellows on my Patch today. I took this photo of Monty on our mid-morning stroll and you can see the sky
P1060051.JPG
Notwithstanding the weather, I did come across a few Meadow Browns, a Common Blue and four Small Tortoiseshells
P1060035.JPG
P1060040.JPG
I flushed a Red Admiral which quickly settled down out of the wind
P1060043.JPG
Then came across two Brown Argus in a more sheltered spot (where I glimpsed a Large Skipper before it vanished)
P1060054.JPG
P1060058.JPG
A bit further on I found a few Bee Orchids
IMG_2790.JPG
And a beautiful cluster of Pyramidal Orchids which glowed in the dull conditions
P1060063.JPG
P1060067.JPG
I hope the weather brightens up soon : after the last couple of weeks of lovely sunshine I'm not used to such cool conditions!

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely Brown Argus Hoggers :D I know what you mean about the weather - as soon as the news channels or papers report "a heatwave fortnight" you know it's time to dig out the Wellies and the brolley :roll: :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

On my morning walk with the dogs I was delighted to come across a Marbled White
P1060085.JPG
It's the first I've seen this year
P1060089.JPG
And a good two weeks earlier than I'd expect at this location
P1060096.JPG
I'd just got over my surprise at seeing the Marbled White when a busy little streak in the grass revealed itself to be a Small Skipper
P1060108.JPG
P1060110.JPG
Another first for me
P1060122.JPG
P1060126.JPG
And again at least two or three weeks earlier than I would expect here
P1060127.JPG
By 11am I was walking around Orlestone Forest. It was very warm indeed by now and the Mozzies (together with some very formidable looking Biting Flies) were having a field day with me. I really must get some "Jungle Formula"!! I keep forgetting..!

Anyway, I saw 12 White Admirals, all highly active
IMG_2870.JPG
IMG_2814.JPG
IMG_2815.JPG
Five Brimstones, many Meadow Browns, and a few Large Skippers
IMG_2842.JPG
I then came upon the butterfly I'd hoped to see. It was hunkering low down in the cool grass
IMG_2821.JPG
A Ringlet
IMG_2852.JPG
Of the five Ringlets I saw, most were bobbing up and down the rides but I managed to get a few photographs of a resting individual
IMG_2855.JPG
IMG_2857.JPG
IMG_2861.JPG
Loss of blood aside, it was a very rewarding visit.

Return to “Personal Diaries”