Katrina

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Willrow

Re: Katrina

Post by Willrow »

Your images convey a real sense of being there to the viewer Katrina.

Bill :D

"When in doubt...venture out"

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thank you Bill much appreciated.

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Katrina

Silver-studded Blues

Post by Katrina »

Having seen Mark's sightings of Silver-studded Blues on our local branch website I decided to go for an early meander on Stedham and Iping Common. I saw 20 blue butterflies and having reviewed the photos think they are all male Silver-studded Blues but please correct me if I am wrong on the posted photos. I suspect there are a many more out there as I stopped to photo a lot and only made it round a small part of the common. I didn't see any females. I also saw one Small Tortoiseshell.
Attachments
DSC01186.JPG
DSC01199.JPG
DSC01453.JPG
DSC01476.JPG
DSC01507.JPG

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Lovely SSB with the dew Katrina :mrgreen: . I'm going to have to start getting myself out early again - I seem to have gotten a bit lazy recently :roll:

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thank you Pauline, I think I got there in the nick of time for the dew. Remarkably there were already 2 people in the car park before me too.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Great Silver-studded Blues photos Katrina, especially the dew covered ones :D

Mike

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

A beauiful sequence of shots Katrina :D :mrgreen: I just hope they're out at my local site this weekend, I don't think I could wait another week for them :shock:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Yesterday I went on a quick tour of various sites form Pulborough Brooks to Mill Hill. Only a few Meadow Browns and Large Skippers seen on the butterfly front but there were a lot of Burnet moths. I am not sure if the one in the first photo may be having problems with his wings.
Attachments
DSC01575.JPG
DSC01619.JPG
DSC01656.JPG

Katrina

18th June

Post by Katrina »

Went for a walk in Botany Bay no Purple Emperors but my first Ringlets of the year then onto the Downs and my first Dark Green Fritillarys.
Attachments
DSC01720.JPG

Katrina

Large Blues

Post by Katrina »

Me and my sister got up very early and went to Daneway Banks. Fortunately for us we arrived at the same time as David who kindly showed us the areas to look in - thank you David. Plenty of sunshine and butterflies. I was very pleased to see my first ever Large Blue. I think I saw at least 12 Large Blues over the morning but I think others had seen even more. We also saw numerous Marbled White, Meadow Browns and Small Heaths. We saw some Ringlets, Large Skippers, Small Tortoiseshells, Speckled Woods,Common Blues, 2 Small Blues and one old Green Hairstreak. We saw some orange butterflies flying by which we think were Dark Green Fritillarys. Unfortunately when I got back I realised I had had the camera on the wrong aperture setting so the photos are a casualty of the early start. Well worth the trip despite the M25 traffic jams on the way back
Attachments
DSC01850.JPG
DSC01876.JPG
DSC01885.JPG
DSC01895.JPG
DSC01939.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Still got some great shots Katrina :D :mrgreen: of a butterfly I'm hoping to see tomorrow for the first time - but at Collard as it's closer.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thank you Wurzel, they could have been a lot worse in the circumstances. Good luck tomorrow!

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Today we went to Botany Bay in the morning and saw white admirals and silver-washed fritillarys which were very active and not stopping for photos. Some large skippers did though. Then onto the Downs where we saw dark green fritillarys.
Attachments
DSC01981.JPG
DSC01982_2.JPG
DSC02002.jpg
DSC02011_2.JPG

Katrina

Kithurst

Post by Katrina »

I went to Kithurst Hill at lunchtime and saw my first Chalkhill Blues. (3 of them). Plenty of Meadow Browns, Ringlets, Large Skippers, one Small Tortoiseshell, one Red Admiral, one Speckled Wood and one Brimstone too.
Attachments
DSC02089.JPG
DSC02131.JPG
DSC02165.JPG

Katrina

Bad Omens but Purple Success

Post by Katrina »

Today I headed back to Botany Bay (via Tugley Wood entrance). I got up somewhat later than I had hoped and heard the words " heavy downpours" on the weather.Someone blocking the turning circle, bad traffic on the way and it started to drizzle when I was within 2 miles of the site and then rain when I arrived at 10.30. With not much hope I left the car. The rain soon stopped though and at 11.15 I saw 3 Purple Emperors chasing each other I walked towards them and one flew up from the path in front of me (I had forgotten rule number 1 always check out the path before you walk). I came back to the same part 10 mins later and it had returned. I found it 20m down the path to the left of the triangle when coming from Tugley Wood end. I found another one there later and one in the triangle, so in total 3 on the ground and 3 in the air. It was very different being there today as for the first 2 hours I saw no other people as opposed to last year when I met lots of other enthusiasts every day I went. I then went to lunch at Pulborough Brooks and then went on to the Knepp estate. I arrived there about 3pm and being somewhat rubbish with maps stopped people to check I was going the right way. A kind lady said yes I was on the right path and would I like a lift to the best area. I didn't need asking twice and when I was in the car she then said Neil Hulme and Matthew Oates were about to lead a guided walk in the area so I inadvertently ended up gatecrashing their walk.(sorry). Many purple emperors were seen flying on the walk including 3 chasing each other. I then went to look at the viewing platforms and managed got lost on the way back but with a bit of help made it in the end. I am quite excited by this site not least because it is much closer to me than Botany Bay. There was plenty of other wildlife about including birds of prey, a green woodpecker, dragonflies etc.
Attachments
DSC02229.JPG
DSC02298.JPG
DSC02306.JPG
DSC02369.JPG

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

You were more than welcome to join us Katrina. As a winter work party attendee you have a Golden Ticket. :D
Congratulations on the Botany Bay sightings. Lovely pics!
BWs, Neil

David M

Post by David M »

Indeed. Not too many grounded Emperor pics posted thus far in 2014.

You are very much ahead of the game.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic stuff Katrina :mrgreen: :D I don't think I've seen a sighting from Wiltshire yet let alone even considered going to look for them...what's the weather like this weekend? :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Really well done Katrina, lovely photos. It is rare to have that butterfly all to yourself so I hope you made the most of it and enjoyed the experience :mrgreen:

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thank you Neil, David, Wurzel and Pauline. I did enjoy having them to myself but in between found it a bit spookily quiet so pros and cons I suppose.

Return to “Personal Diaries”