CFB

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
CFB

Re: CFB

Post by CFB »

This morning it was warm and sunny, but quite cloudy now and then as I strolled along the Piste du Collet de l'Espères.

I was delighted to find my first Marbled Skipper of the year. I had to follow it for a few minutes before it decided to settle down, and then I was able to take several photos of it. And ten minutes later when I came back, it was still there.
IMG_3082-001.JPG
IMG_3087.JPG
IMG_3100.JPG
Further on there were many Adonis Blues and Provence Chalkhill Blues. This one is, I'm pretty sure, a female Adonis Blue:
IMG_3115.JPG
On my way back to the car, there were several species enjoying Centranthus ruber, including a Swallowtail
IMG_3131.JPG
and a Green-veined White:
IMG_3136.JPG
Also seen were Large Whites, Knapweed and Heath Fritillaries, and Pearly Heaths.
--
Colin

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

That Marbled Skipper is positively glowing, Colin. Sadly, I've never seen a 'fresh' specimen but your image makes me determined to do so.

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Hi Colin and David,
Swallowtails are very thin on the ground (or in the air) around Marseilles so far this year, and the Adonis Blue is also proving elusive :( .
At least the weather is good for the moral at the moment :) .
Chris

CFB

Post by CFB »

This morning it was sunny, but now (tea time :) ) it is cloudy with some thunder.

I went along the Piste du Collet de l'Espères again, hoping to see some more Marbled Skippers. I didn't, but I did find my first Marbled Fritillary of the year. It was among the brambles (of course) which prevented me from getting close, and it soon flew off up into the trees.
IMG_3172.JPG
There were a few Blue-spot Hairstreaks around, but no Ilex Hairstreaks, and I still haven't seen a False Ilex Hairstreak this year.
IMG_3164.JPG
I found a solitary Spanish Festoon, which turned out to be the same individual that I saw three days ago (see above) at exactly the same place.
IMG_3178.JPG
And then I encountered a couple of Black-veined Whites indulging in frantic love-making :shock: :
IMG_3198.JPG
Among others also seen: two Scarce Swallowtails; Heath, Spotted, Glanville and Knapweed Fritillaries; Adonis and (many) Provence Chalkhill Blues; Pearly and Small Heaths; a Southern White Admiral.
--
Colin

Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

I can associate with the Blue-spot at this time Colin, and I know that there are Marbled Fritillary around, but they are lively creatures to photograph.
Chris

CFB

Post by CFB »

I didn't manage to take many photos today as the butterflies were not being particularly helpful :( .

I did however see my first Large Skippers of the year :) along the Piste de Peical. There were several of them at two different places. Here is a male:
IMG_3244.JPG
There were several Knapweed Fritillaries:
IMG_3225.JPG
And of course, many Provence Chalkhill Blues:
IMG_3255.JPG
I also saw, amongst others, two Scarce Swallowtails flying together, a Southern White Admiral and some Blue-spot Hairstreaks.
--
Colin
Last edited by CFB on Sat May 31, 2014 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Hi Colin,

I would say your male Small Skipper is in fact a Large Skipper.

I'm enjoying your reports!

Best wishes,

Lee

To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
David M

Post by David M »

Lee Hurrell wrote: I would say your male Small Skipper is in fact a Large Skipper.
Absolutely. 100% male Large Skipper.

CFB

Post by CFB »

Thanks Lee and David for the correction. I'll get them right one of these days.

This Large Skipper was from this morning:
IMG_3269.JPG
Although it was quite cloudy with some wind, there was a surprising number of butterflies around, in particular Adonis and Provence Chalkhill Blues, Pearly and Small Heaths, and a few Spotted Fritillaries.
--
Colin

CFB

Post by CFB »

This morning was marked by a trio of Heath Fritillaries, two of them mating and the third trying to join in. When I first saw them they were in a windmill formation on a dry stem:
IMG_0870.JPG
Later on they moved into a different configuration:
IMG_0886.JPG
Then the intruder decided to call it a day:
IMG_0891.JPG
And the original couple were finally left alone:
IMG_0902.JPG
There were many other Heath Fritillaries, including this one, which was more interested in its flower than anything else:
IMG_0856.JPG
And there was a solitary Scarce Swallowtail:
IMG_0865.JPG
--
Colin

Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Hi Colin,
That photo of the "windmill formation on a dry stem" really deserves a prize - great!!
Chris

CFB

Post by CFB »

Yesterday I went along to la Roche d'Ardy near Roquefort-les-Pins. No new year-sightings, but some photos, starting with this Marbled Skipper:
IMG_0923.JPG
Nearby I met this gorgeous Black-veined White:
IMG_0945.JPG
She then went off in search of somewhere to do some ovipositing, and she found the underside of a Hawthorn leaf.
IMG_0948.JPG
I continued on my way, and when I came back ten minutes later, she had disappeared, but had left fifteen or so ova on the leaf :D :D :D .

Later on I found a mating-couple of Provence Chalkhill Blues:
IMG_0963.JPG
I also saw two fresh-looking male Cleopatras (no photos :( ).

Today I went back to the same spot to see how things were progressing. The ova were still there. How long does it take in general for the larvae to hatch?

Amongst butterflies photographed today were this Scarce Swallowtail with bent tails,
IMG_0980.JPG
a Green-veined White,
IMG_1002.JPG
and one of several Spotted Fritillaries:
IMG_1005.JPG
Also seen today were many Provence Chalkhill Blues, with in second place, Pearly Heaths, Adonis Blues and Heath Fritillaries.
--
Colin
Last edited by CFB on Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CFB

Post by CFB »

This morning, in the Parc de la Brague, I saw for the first time this year a solitary Marbled White,
IMG_1041.JPG
and a solitary Lulworth Skipper.
IMG_1059.JPG
IMG_1063.JPG
There were also several Cleopatras, including this female,
IMG_1046.JPG
a Scarce Swallowtail, Blue-spot and Ilex Hairstreaks, Heath and Spotted Fritillaries, Adonis Blues and of course many Provence Chalkhill Blues.
--
Colin

Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

That's good news about the Marbled White, Colin. I'll keep my eyes open across my way although last year they didn't appear until the very end of June (another 3 weeks yet). The Grayling should be out very soon, and I think I have missed out on the Adonis Blue this year.
Chris

CFB

Post by CFB »

Four first-sightings of the year along the Piste du Darbousson this morning :D :D :D . The first was a Small Skipper, which was quite happy being photographed, letting me get quite close:
IMG_1078.JPG
The second was a male High Brown Fritillary, which seems to like brambles as much as the Marbled Fritillaries do:
IMG_1104.JPG
The third was a male Silver-washed Fritillary who was accompanied by a female:
IMG_1114-001.JPG
The fourth was a Two-tailed Pasha which flew around me at great speed and then disappeared, so no photo :( .

Others seen included a Red Underwing Skipper, a Southern White Admiral, Marbled Fritillaries and Meadow Browns.
--
Colin

Roger Gibbons

Post by Roger Gibbons »

For the Pashas, try tempting them with alcohol!

I use rum mashed into a banana to stop it evaporating. Put it on something flat, in an open-ish space, even at a height of about 1-1.5m handy for taking a photo.

They will sniff it out and then circle around checking for predators (a magnificent flying display) and when they are ready they will come down onto the bait. Best to stay absolutely still while they are doing this. After a few minutes they become engrossed and can be approached quite closely.

We had three Pashas on the bait at the same time in our small garden today, followed by a Great Banded Grayling.

Roger

CFB

Post by CFB »

Hello Roger,

Two years ago I tried with some brandy, if I remember correctly, on ripe figs. Without success. But last year they seemed to be attracted by ripe figs on a fig bush (its only six feet high or so, so I can't call it a tree) in the garden. I must try your recipe.

We have a very big Arbutus unedo in the garden, and I regularly look for ova and larvae on it, but with no success.
--
Colin

David M

Post by David M »

Roger Gibbons wrote: Best to stay absolutely still while they are doing this. After a few minutes they become engrossed and can be approached quite closely.

We had three Pashas on the bait at the same time in our small garden today, followed by a Great Banded Grayling.
Must you torture us like this, Roger? :(

Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Hi Colin,
I don't get High Browns over my way, perhaps its too dry. So your photo is about as close as I'll get to seeing one :) .
I should get one sighting of a vagrant Silver-washed though.
I'm still waiting for a Grayling (semele) - perhaps this afternoon?.
Cheers, Chris

Mikhail

Post by Mikhail »

I have just seen your posting of 4 June. Take another look at your Southern Small White. I think you'll agree it's a Green-veined White.

M.

Return to “Personal Diaries”