Pauline

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: Pauline

Post by David M »

You clearly made the right decision, Pauline. This all looks promising for a Clouded Yellow summer.

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Let us hope so David - I know you have already seen and photographed one this year but they are such a beautiful butterfly I could never tire of seeing them. Thank you for your comment.

Thank you too Mike. It was indeed the same site and good to know your individual was a male. You might recall that there were several there last year (I personally saw 3 in the same small area, 2 of them females) so I am wondering if it is possible/feasible that they have successfully bred and managed to over-winter here? If so, perhaps we shall be seeing a few more locally :D . With 140 seen at Thorney Island, many mating pairs at various locations and the mild winter, there has got to be a good chance surely.

I make no apologies for including a few more shots as it was a delight to see her:
P1330018ad.jpg
P1330006ad.jpg
P1330024ad.jpg

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
PhilBJohnson

Post by PhilBJohnson »

Nice pictures of the Clouded Yellow.
(Good morning Pauline).
All I can see outside at the moment is a clouded sky!

Best Wishes.

Kind Regards,
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I'm glad that you like them Phil. Thank you for taking the time to let me know. Here, too, the skies are grey and the thunder is rumbling, providing a suitable background to the relentless rain. Needless to say my plans for today have been scuppered. I shall, instead, post a few shots of a very pretty female blue which I found irresistible whilst looking at the Clouded Yellow:
P1330110ad.jpg
P1330115ad.jpg
P1330078ad.jpg
P1330109ad.jpg
The photos, as usual, do not do justice to the stunning markings and colours of this particular individual.

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Wonderful Clouded Yellow photo's Pauline, and you very nearly got a rare open wing shot as a bonus :shock: :) keep the reports and images coming :wink:

Regards,

Bill :D

"When in doubt...venture out"

Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic Clouded Yellow shots Pauline :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Fingers crossed for another good year - this could be one of the advantages of climate change.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

PhilBJohnson

Post by PhilBJohnson »

Hi Pauline,
As a composition, I like the second shot of the Blue the best & when it comes to "blues" I have some "identification issues"
Best Wishes.

Kind Regards,
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I'm so glad you like them Bill as I was pleased with them, and even more pleased to see her. Open-winged shot? I have tried but I fear neither me nor my camera are up to it :( .

You could be right Wurzel - I saw another 2 today at a different site. Thank you for your comment.

Good to hear from you Phil. As you might know by now I am always up for constructive criticism so thank you for that. When it comes to 'identification issues' I can assure you that you are not alone, especially where the females are concerned.

I belatedly picked up a message to alert me that Painted Lady had been seen at a local site. I thought I would take a look anyway and I was not disappointed. I did not see the Painted Lady but the site was teeming with butterflies. The Silver Studded Blue had become more widespread and were interspersed with Common Blue. One of the first butterflies I saw was a feisty Green Hairstreak. In his hey-day I expect he had been a very handsome chap, the first I have seen with the extended white markings. He still had a lot of fight left in him and spent much time squabbling with the Common Blues, at one point sharing a branch with one of his adversaries, which I failed to capture on camera.

A couple of Dingy Skippers in remarkably good condition sparred with each other and a Brown Argus, whilst male and female Large Skippers spiraled through the air. Two pairs of Silver Studded Blues were mating whilst several females ferreted through the grass, egg-laying. I was distracted from the mating pairs by a Clouded Yellow which flew past at great speed (the first of 2) - it was midday and everything was very active, allowing only record shots. One of the Clouded Yellow was striking as in flight it seemed to be deep orange, so deep that when I first saw it I did not recognise it immediately as a Clouded Yellow. Surprisingly the underside was quite a normal colour. I managed a couple of long distance shots before it took off again. There was much, much more to enjoy. I looked around and a fresh Small Tortoiseshell was taking nectar and a lovely female Brimstone was moving from one flower to the next. I was spoilt for choice and didn't know what to photograph next. I only moved a couple of yards the whole time I was there but saw 10 species. A very enjoyable 90 minutes on a lovely summer's day. So, this is the spot, and these are the butterflies:
P1330320ad.jpg
P1330337ad.jpg
P1330274ad.jpg
P1330278ad.jpg
P1330293ad.jpg
P1330330ad.jpg
P1330325ad.jpg
P1330317ad.jpg
P1330334ad.jpg
P1330265ad.jpg
P1330316ad.jpg
P1330285ad.jpg
P1330306a.jpg
P1330318ad.jpg
Last edited by Pauline on Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Just catching up again Pauline, some great Clouded Yellow and 'Blue' photos, I particularly like the 'sheen' on the female SSBs :D

That looks like a lovely spot there in your last post

All the best,

Neil.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Lovely photos Pauline, it does look a beautiful place, and beautiful studs on the female in the first mating pair :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Stunning shots Pauline and that habitat looks lush. :mrgreen: :D Your Greenstreak is a punctata ab isn't it? :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Delightful images taken in some stunning countryside Pauline.

Bill :D

"When in doubt...venture out"

Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you all so much for your lovely comments. It is indeed a smashing site, only 7-8 minutes away from me and I was totally unaware of it until a friend introduced me to it last year. It is now one of my favourite places. Thank you for the information on the Green Hairstreak Wurzel - I had a feeling it had a name but couldn't for the life of me remember what it was :roll:

I have been following the debate on captive rearing with some interest (given that I have been directly involved this year with the Hairstreaks). I cannot say that I have totally enjoyed the experience, although I can see no reason why enjoyment shouldn't be the primary motive (as indeed it is for some other activities :lol: ), providing the insects are well cared for and treated properly. I would openly admit that I had no idea what it would involve, no idea just how little I knew, and no idea I would make such a mess of it. I worried and stressed throughout the process (as I'm sure Vince could confirm) - when the caterpillars disappeared (eaten by slugs), when I was advised the development was too advanced (moved them outside immediately), when they emerged too early (felt sooo guilty about that), and when I accidentally squashed a caterpillar that had gone walkabout I was gutted. I had total responsibility and I got it wrong. So, I post the following images not with a sense of pride or achievement but out of interest. Today, a Brown Hairstreak caught me out - I had the camera to hand but by the time I picked it up and switched it on and tried to zoom in (another example Mike!) the event was almost over. I just kept clicking away. Many of the shots are not great but the sequence of images recording the emergence are below
P1330764ad.jpg
P1330765ad.jpg
P1330766ad.jpg
P1330767ad.jpg
P1330768ad.jpg
P1330769ad.jpg
P1330770ad.jpg
P1330771ad.jpg
P1330774ad.jpg
P1330794ad.jpg
P1330802d.jpg
P1330822ad.jpg

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Another splendid series, Pauline. It is always fascinating to see how the crumpled wing unfolds to its beautifully marked pristine condition.

Mike

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Great photos (as usual)! :D

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

D'you know Mike, there was a point where I was convinced that this butterfly had emerged deformed as the wings took some time longer to develop properly than the Black Hairstreak. I felt really despondent and deflated and left it to do something else. When I next looked I was delighted to see that all was well. Thank you for your comment.

Thank you too Katrina. I have to tell you that I delete many, many photos they are just so bad sometimes :roll: :oops:

Today has been a day of 'firsts for the season'. My first 'first' is the SWF which emerged at the Straits today.
P1340024ad.jpg
P1340007ad.jpg
P1340039ad.jpg
P1340030ad.jpg
P1340023ad.jpg
P1340038ad.jpg

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

The second 'first' was the WLH at Cosham. There were half a dozen males defending their territories, all of which seemed to be at the top of the Elms (which seem quite a bit taller than last year). They would jealously guard their patch which they repeatedly returned to and once I had identified where these were it was easy to see and count the various individuals. It was a joy to see them but in the mid-day heat there was no way I was going to get a close-up shot as they returned to their look out posts and the resultant photos were either silhouettes against the sky or tiny images even on full zoom. In the hour I watched them I was not aware that any came down to nectar. So for the record (and amusement) the best of my photos :lol:
P1330938ad.jpg
P1330952ad.jpg
I shall be back!

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I shall take a break from my 'firsts' to post a few shots taken quickly this morning prior to, and during, the release of my male Brown Hairstreak :
P1330912ad.jpg
P1330915ad.jpg
P1330925ad.jpg
P1330928ad.jpg
P1330929ad.jpg

David M

Post by David M »

Lovely images again, Pauline. Nice to know SWF and WLH are now emerging. With fine weather forecast hopefully numbers will build up over the next few days.

I must now start my annual exercises to guard against 'Hairstreak neck'. :)

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I've had a pretty rubbish week David and you're comment made me chuckle. Thank you. I'd be interested to know how to guard against Hairstreak Neck as I suffer from it every year! :lol:

A few shots of the gorgeous female which was released with the male:
P1330407ad.jpg
P1330469ad.jpg
P1330471ad.jpg
P1330668d.jpg
P1330718ad.jpg
P1330729d.jpg

Return to “Personal Diaries”