Clouded Yellows at Strumpshaw RSPB Reserve

Discussion forum for sightings.
selbypaul

Clouded Yellows at Strumpshaw RSPB Reserve

Post by selbypaul »

Just to note that I today spotted five or six Clouded Yellow's at Strumpshaw RSPB Reserve. All were together nectaring on some planted flowers next to the main visitor centre.

I can only presume all were from a single brood as all looked pretty fresh.

Would anyone know whether this is the right sort of time for eggs laid last autumn to now be producing flying adults?
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Clouded Yellows at Strumpshaw RSPB Reserve

Post by Padfield »

It's not really the right time, no, but things might work differently in the UK. Here in Switzerland, if I see fresh clouded yellows in spring at all (usually, they don't survive the winter) it is typically between January and March. I did see a handful this year - the first on Jan 12th and the most recent on 20th April. None since then. If I saw one in June I would expect it to be a grandchild of last autumn's butterflies or a fresh immgrant.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
False Apollo

Re: Clouded Yellows at Strumpshaw RSPB Reserve

Post by False Apollo »

I am sent all the reported Clouded Yellow sightings for Hampshire for the Hampshire Butterfly report, and any seen in early April to May are generally now considered to be from successful overwintering of eggs laid the previous autumn. However there are early June records which sometimes seem adrift from the early emergers and the main arrivals in July. Small groups like this do lean towards a local emergence, (this certainly happens in the autumn in really good years). These 'limbo' records are very interesting as they could be local individuals on the move from the coast having emerged earlier in the spring. It is a bit of a puzzle, but if the weather has been favourable of course, freshly arrived immigrants are possible. I know there has been one seen at Noarhill on 5th June but not heard of any others yet. I would be interested in hearing about any other early June sightings which could herald the start of a 'Clouded Yellow year'. June sightings in Hampshire are relatively rare and seem to be away from the coast. A very interesting sighting selbypaul, I wonder if they will remain in the area for more than a day?

Regards
Mike

Return to “Sightings”