Maximus

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Willrow

Re: Maximus

Post by Willrow »

Ditto on everything David mentions above Mike...lovely stuff :wink:

Bill :D

"When in doubt...venture out"

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks David and Bill, I agree that overcast days as long as they are reasonably bright, can give a nice even diffused light, which often helps in producing quality images.

We paid an afternoon visit to Bentley which was as usual rather busy, which normally we would try to avoid. However we wanted to see some Small Pearl-bordered Fritillaries and this would probably be our best opportunity to do so. The entrance to the Eastern clearing was very muddy but once in the first SPBF's appeared. Some were very fresh, and although it was overcast they were nectaring on Bugle..

P1100929.JPGResize.JPG
P1100516.JPGResize.JPG
IMG_3902.JPGA.JPGResize.JPG
IMG_4063.JPGA.JPGResize.JPG

..while others were begining to show signs of wear.

P1100554.JPGResize.JPG

We also saw our first Large Skipper of 2014..

P1100970.JPGResize.JPG

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Lovely female Adonis shots, Mike!

Best wishes,

Lee

To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great Small Pearls Mike - especially the second shot :mrgreen: Bentley can get busy at this time of year but you can see Small Pearls outside the Eastern Clearing along the rides and not many people venture out of the Clearing :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Cheers Lee :D

Cheers Wurzel, next time I visit I'll look along the rides :wink:

A couple of ' blue' Common Blue females have visited our garden recently, using the buttercups we left in the lawn for nectar, I'm not sure where these Blues originate from.

Quite a lot of blue
Quite a lot of blue
The most blue I've seen on a female Common Blue!
The most blue I've seen on a female Common Blue!

This was her before I spent a quick ten minutes in photoshop, not perfect as can be seen, but I felt she should have the missing part of her hindwing back, shame she was damaged.

P1110477.jpgA.JPGResize.JPG

I only put back what was missing :wink: she really was that blue :D Common Blue females seem to be bluer this year!

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Maximus wrote:... she really was that blue :D Common Blue females seem to be bluer this year!
There does seem to be an uncommon number of Blue female Common Blues around this year :D

Some lovely photos in the last few posts Mike, great stuff.

Cheers,

Neil.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Just catching up Mike - you're posting some lovely photos. I really like the last female Adonis with open wings and I particularly like the 3rd SPBF :mrgreen: I wish I could perform minor miracles with photoshop - she is certainly the bluest female I have seen.

David M

Post by David M »

nfreem wrote:
There does seem to be an uncommon number of Blue female Common Blues around this year.
Indeed. I don't know whether it's just that people have suddenly become more 'tuned in' to these insects or if 2014 is the year of the blue female icarus.

Sadly I haven't seen anything as spectacular in my part of the world but I will keep looking.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks Neil, very well put :D

Thank you Pauline, glad you liked the Adonis and SPFB, photoshop is a powerful tool :D

David, I think it's the year of blue female icarus.

Today we visited a site in Hampshire, but our visit which was squeezed in between our other commitments was between midday and 3pm. We therefore found that all of the butterflies we saw were hyperactive in the hot sun, which made taking photos very difficult. We did however manage to record thirteen species which we were very pleased with. The Dukes were still battling anything which intruded into their territory and were not in bad shape given the date.

P1110507.JPGResize.JPG
P1110418.JPGResize.JPG

The Common Blues were stunning and included a mating pair..

P1100832.JPGResize.JPG
P1110428.JPGResize.JPG
P1110601.JPGResize.JPG

The Large Skippers really fresh..

P1100875.JPGResize.JPG
P1110569.jpgA.JPGResize.JPG
P1110532.jpgA.JPGResize.JPG

The Small Heaths were not always easy to photograph off the ground..

P1110558.JPGResize.JPG
P1110555.JPGResize.JPG
P1110513.JPGResize.JPG

But the star of the show was this male Clouded Yellow, but we unfortunately only managed some record shots as it flew around the site at a rate of knots..

P1110643.JPGResize.JPG
P1110644.JPGResize.JPG

Pauline's Clouded Yellow seen at what I believe to be the same site, appears to be a female - so there were at least two, hope this heralds a CY invasion :D

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Some lovely shots Mike, and I do believe your being rather modest, you have to get the shot before you do anything at all in Photoshop...and you've got the shots :wink:

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great report and shots Mike :D Great to see the Cloudies :mrgreen: are making an appearance already which bodes well fingers crossed :D Love the first Small Heath shot really makes it look like a grizzled old man on the back porch :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks Bill :D

Thanks Wurzel, my fingers are well crossed as regards the CY's :D Glad you like the Small grizzled Heath :wink: :D

This was our Green-veined White pupa at 10 days old, revealing signs of the butterfly inside..

IMG_4324.JPGResize.JPG
IMG_4322.JPGA.JPGResize.JPG

..and this was the pupa at 9.30 this morning..

IMG_4374.JPGA.JPGResize.JPG

..as I gently turned the pot containing the Honesty plant, this beauty was revealed..

IMG_4335.JPGA.JPGResize.JPG
IMG_4367.JPGResize.JPG

..a beautiful female Green-veined White.

Close up of wing detail
Close up of wing detail
Close up
Close up

90 minutes later, having already flown to the window indoors she was released into our garden where she flew strongly away and to a great height until she was lost from our view :D

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Wonderful photos - very interesting to see.

David M

Post by David M »

Stunning.

What a beautiful insect.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Wow fantastic stuff Mike :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Simply wonderful Mike!!!

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Some beautiful and enviable photos there Mike. You should feel proud of yourself :D

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks Katrina, she was a beautiful GVW :D

She was a beautiful insect indeed David :D

Glad you liked her Wurzel :D

Thanks Bill :D

Thank you Pauline :D

A couple of shots of local Silver-studded Blues which are only just begining to emerge, so far all males..

P1110738.jpgA.JPGResize.JPG
P1110080.jpgA.JPGResize.JPG
P1110012.JPGResize.JPG

Mike Robinson

Post by Mike Robinson »

Lovely pictures &c. …..

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Beautiful Silver Studs Mike :D I'm hopefully going to find a few tomorrow, fingers crossed.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”