Haugh Wood - Herefordshire

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
kevling

Haugh Wood - Herefordshire

Post by kevling »

At the end of May, I will be holidaying near to the Forest of Dean. Not far from my accomodation is Haugh Wood, where a visit will be made (weather permitting!) to see Wood Whites.
Despite searching different websites, I have been unable to gain specific details of where the colonies are within the wood.

Could any one inform me whether they are widespread throughout the wood, or are there particularly areas that I should focus on.

Kind Regards
Kev Ling
Willrow

Re: Haugh Wood - Herefordshire

Post by Willrow »

Hiya Kev,

Assuming that your coming from the FoD on the B4224 turn right at Mordiford village and head up hill towards Woolhope, a mile or so up the hill you will see the main Haugh Woods car park on your left, cross over the road and continue down the main track until it splits off, its your choice which track you now take, I've seen Wood White on both tracks, however my personal choice is a circular taking the left hand track (you can then follow the green finger posts) and then take the next right down hill, once you reach the bottom track your into prime WW territory, stay on the right hand track. Following the track further will bring you into good Pearl-bordered Fritillary habitat, turn right at the next fork then almost immediate left at the bench, the ride further on is especially good for both mentioned species and do keep your eyes open for Speckled Yellow moths here too. If you continue up this track for about three quarters of a mile or so it should be far enough, its then better to turn around and head back to the bench (it can be a maze trying to find your way out further on) and turn left up the hill, you will then return back to the place where you originally split off, circular completed.

Warning do make certain your covered up, trousers tucked into socks, arms covered, Haugh Woods is a Ticks paradise, both David M and myself have the scars to prove it!!!

Hope this helps a little and good luck with both the weather and your search.

Bill :D
Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
David M

Post by David M »

Good advice from Bill, and I will add my own:

There is a path at the southern end of this wood which will provide you with all you need. Haugh Wood is a large place and you risk coming away empty handed if you don't happen upon the right spots.

As Bill said, biting flies are a real downside to this place, and my legs were cut to ribbons 3 years ago after I snagged my bare right ankle on a low-growing bramble branch (I still have minor scarring to this day).

You absolutely MUST wear trousers (and insect repellant).

Follow the south butterfly trail from the signposted car park and look out for information board 6, which features Pearl Bordered Fritillary (1.5 - 2 mile walk, but not too steep). As you are standing before this board, there's a track which goes right. Follow this track and you'll see the woodland open out somewhat into scrubby banks with bluebells growing on them. This is the best part of the wood. You should find Wood Whites and the odd PBF. Just after this, where the track veers right then immediately left, there's a gully on your right with dandelions and bugle growing near the path which is in direct sunlight. This is the hotspot. Stay tight and just look up the banking and you'll see sizeable numbers
kevling

Post by kevling »

Dear Bill & David,

Thank you very much for the detailed information on Haugh Wood. I've never seen Wood Whites below and only a handful of PBF at Eyarth Rocks last year. So this sounds an excellent place (so long as me and the family are wearing bee keepers costumes :lol:

Kindest Regards
Kev
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

I am thinking of visiting Haugh Wood for Wood Whites early next week, if anyone has any knowledge of how they are doing this year, or best place to currently look, it would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

Nigel
http://www.nigelspencer.co.uk
Cotswold Cockney

Post by Cotswold Cockney »

Long time since I visited Haugh Wood. Back in the 1970-80s when I used to commute daily between Gloucester and Hereford. No real need to go there from the Forest of Dean to see this insect, there's one or two places in the Forest where I've seen it sometimes in good numbers. I recently found it has colonised a favourite wood on the very edge of the Forest on the Gloucester side. I saw it in good numbers on the track below Symonds Yat Rock viewing point but again, that was back in the 70-80s. So, you could combine a trip to Symonds Yat to see the nesting Peregrines who usually put oin a good show there most visits. ASn hour or two spent on Yat Rock could be timne well spent if like me, you like to see Birds of Prey. In addition to the resident Peregrines and others passing through usually chased off, Buzzards, Kites, Goshawks, Hobbys, Sparrow Hawks can also be observed from the Rock viewpoint. On more than one occasion a passing Osprey too. Several Frit specie in the nearby woods in season as well White Admirals and Silver washed Frits.

Heslop's book mentions Purple Emperors at Symonds Yat many moons ago. I wonder .... ;)
Cotswold Cockney is the name
All aspects of Natural History is my game.
Johncob

Post by Johncob »

Nigel I visited the wood on 5th June when staying at Holme Lacy ( 3miles away ), parked in the main car park an then crossed the road. No problem with WW 's -- got them 300 metres in ( main track and clearings). A couple of shots attached. As a bonus I also got a recently emerged Emperor Dragonfly. Good hunting Regards John C
Attachments
Emperor Dragonfly
Emperor Dragonfly
Wood White Haugh Wood
Wood White Haugh Wood
Wood White Haugh Wood
Wood White Haugh Wood

Return to “Sites”