Pauline

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Katrina

Re: Pauline

Post by Katrina »

The last photo is a beauty - I like the way the blue goes from darker to lighter from front to back.

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you so much Katrina, I appreciate that, but check out Andy's diary - he has some cracking shots :mrgreen:

Yesterday whilst doing a bit of gardening I found this:
P1320050d.jpg
I assume it is some sort of moth. It is massive :shock: . For size comparison this is a Brown hairstreak pupa:
P1320048d.jpg
It moves too! I sincerely hope it is an impressive, colourful moth and not some plain or ugly brown thing - any ideas? The collection in my net cage is steadily growing :roll: :lol:

I was also pleased to find a few of these on the garlic mustard. I can't think how I haven't seen them before as I have been checking but I guess they just blend in too well. I am assuming they are GVW and have moved them to a more protected area:
P1320240d.jpg
Whilst out and about I also came across these. I've no idea what they are but I thought they were interesting anyway:
P1320273ad.jpg
P1320278ad.jpg
P1320271ad.jpg

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

Hi Pauline,

The red pupa is of the moth Angle Shades http://www.ukmoths.org.uk/show.php?id=3367
I dug up a couple from my flower bed as well today.

My gut feeling on the larva is that it is Green-veined White. It looks like it is just about to moult, so should not be disturbed. After the moult, diagnostic markings will be visible which will either confirm my theory or show it to be Small White.

See http://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/reports_ ... 4tc1yjb4_w
and http://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/reports_ ... 4tdZyjb4_w for more information.

Vince

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I didn't even consider Small White Vince but I can see now how similar they are. Fantastic reports and photos as usual. I'm a teeny bit disappointed at Angle Shades - it is an OK moth I suppose but I had hoped it was going to be something more like a hawkmoth. Perhaps I might even end up with a moth trap to see just what is around here at night :D

Thank you for the compliment Mike - nearly missed it as our posts were simultaneous.

Last week I saw my first Large Skipper of the season and since then I have seen a couple more:
P1320288ad.jpg
P1320281ad.jpg
Whilst out and about I came across a very worn Brown Argus who looked better from underneath:
P1320305ad.jpg
and an Orange Tip enjoying some fast food:
P1320259ad.jpg
A female and male Common Blue complete the list:
P1320269ad.jpg
P1320071ad.jpg
I checked out a Southsea site just on the off chance of a Swallowtail but the only photos I took were these:
P1320064ad.jpg
P1320062ad.jpg

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Another lovely report Pauline, I guess there's always something to inspire the curious naturalist in any wind or weather, capturing it to share is quite another matter...and on this particular matter your pretty good you know :wink:

Best Wishes,

Bill :D

"When in doubt...venture out"

Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Pauline, I love your Photo's, I'm a bit late replying I know because this weekend we decided to clean all the flags around the bungalow, it took us two days :roll: But we're off in three weeks to Salisbury(think that's how you spell it) and in between that I'm want to go up to the Lakes again.

You asked for an opinion on colours well I like all the Photo's but the 1st one is my favourite one followed by the 5th I think the 2nd one has too much orange, and the green both pale and dark don't make the BF stand out like the Grey back ground . ( listen to the expert) :lol: Pauline, really, your shots are all fantastic :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Goldie :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great underwing shot of the Brown Argus Pauline :D Good luck with the Swallowtail next time :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you Bill - that's really kind of you. I must confess I am easily pleased - show me a patch of nettles and I can entertain myself for ages :lol:

I appreciate your opinion Goldie and I hope your have a great time at Salisbury - let us know how you get on :D

Hi Wurzel. Thank you for the comment - I think a Swallowtail is a long shot but I definitely won't see one sitting at home so I'll keep getting out there when possible :D

Yesterday for example I spent a good chunk of the day looking for White Admiral in any shape or form at various known sites. (I know, I need to get a life :lol: ). Either they are going to have a very bad year or I'm rubbish at finding them - probably the latter! There were loads of Speckled Woods about and little orange moths together with some very fresh looking Brimstone (but seem to have lost that photo somehow)
P1320403ad.jpg
I enjoyed watching this little lizard for a good 15 minutes but despite repeated attempts and several opportunities I failed to get a shot of him catching his lunch:
P1320478ad.jpg
P1320471ad.jpg
P1320466ad.jpg
Whilst foraging in the woods I found some interesting critters and as usual I have no idea what they are. It has been suggested that this could be a ladybird larva but I have done a little research and think it might be a moth called Sitochroa Palealis?
P1320443ad.jpg
Even more curious was this little cocoon which seemed to have a little face poking out - no one seems to know what it is but I really can't keep bringing stuff home to see what it turns out to be (not least because I'd have to go and put it back again :roll: :wink: ).
P1320450ad.jpg
I witnessed some life and death struggles and saw some evil looking creatures:
P1320375ad.jpg
P1320461ad.jpg
and saw a few plants (field maple?) covered in these red spots which was very pretty but presumably a type of fungus?
P1320396ad.jpg
Lots of questions and no answers. No WA either. I initially looked in places where there was loads of Honeysuckle thinking it might give me a better chance. It didn't! I then looked in places where there was very little honeysuckle (and where I know there are imago in the summer) on the basis that the butterfly would have less choice of where to lay and therefore easier to find. Still no luck. I looked very high on the plants and very low on the plants, on the upper leaves and underneath. Ah well, shall just have to keep searching as I would really like to see a pupa in the wild.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Despite the persistent and sometimes heavy rain this morning I thought it was about time I checked out the Silver studded blues locally. In the past I have recorded these as early as 24/25 May and today I was not disappointed. Neil, this could not be called a studio photo by any stretch of the imagination but I am trying to develop a different set of skills. It was also the first one I espied:
P1320550ad.jpg
I crept closer following my record shot, crept being the operative word, down and dirty in the wet grass and mud, to get a closer view:
P1320569ad.jpg
The weather was very humid, warm but very wet and I realised many of my shots looked like this:
P1320638ad.jpg
I guess moisture must have got into the lens and I had to unscrew it and try to dry it. It got difficult to dry things out as by this time I was soaked to the skin - completely sodden and squelching along. Thankfully, there were a very few brief intervals where open wing shots were possible. I shall definitely be back.
P1320590ad.jpg
P1320599ad.jpg
P1320605ad.jpg
P1320619ad.jpg
P1320690ad.jpg
I always find it incredibly difficult to get decent shots of blue butterflies whatever the weather but I shall keep trying
P1320706ad.jpg
Whilst I was preparing these photos for the website there was a massive crash against the window, much louder than the usual young Starling which just seem to bounce off the glass. I went out to check and found a young Woodpecker lying face down in the soil; not a great photo but I was in a hurry to get him into the hospital cage to treat for shock and concussion:
P1320745ad.jpg
It's not the first time this has happened and I'm not really surprised as there are about 10 Woodpeckers in the garden right now. Thankfully, this baby recovered quite quickly - it is always best to get them back out there as quickly as possible because of the stress but I have had one that took 8 hours to regain consciousness. I placed him in the old apple tree and watched whilst he became more alert. The last I saw of him he was eating peanuts from one of the feeders :D
P1320751ad.jpg
P1320761ad.jpg

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Whilst looking at SSB my attention was caught by a comparatively large, pale blue coloured butterfly, which turned out to be a female Common Blue. It never ceases to amaze me how the colours and sizes can vary so much.
P1320722ad.jpg
P1320731ad.jpg
P1320735ad.jpg

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Pauline,

Great photos, not a studio shot amongst them :wink: :lol: I really like the second SSB with the raindrops on the grass stem :D

There does seem to be a lot of very blue female Common Blues around this year, more than I have noticed before.

That first woodpecker shot give the impression of how things probably looked to him :wink: , great story and well done on nursing them back to health.

All the best,

Neil.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great Silver Studded Blue shots Pauline :D :mrgreen: I'll have to look out for them in about two weeks time as that seems to be the time delay between the rest of country seeing something and it emerging at my local sites :( There have been plenty of female blue Blues around this year but that is the bluest by far :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

FISHiEE

Post by FISHiEE »

Great set of SSB shots Pauline. I was just debating whether I should go check for these tomorrow as they must be due out about now and your report has now confirmed my plans for tomorrow! :)

NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

Lovely shots of the Blues, Pauline. Personally, I like to see a bit of background in a picture of a butterfly. It gives a bit of context to where they were seen and for me a photo is a record of a moment in time which reminds me of when I saw a particular butterfly.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Lovely SSB shots Pauline, great stuff finding them in the rain. As already noted, not a studio shot in sight :wink: :lol:

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you for the comment Mike. I had a lot of practice in 2012 finding stuff in the rain so hope we're not going to have a repeat of that :roll:

I'm glad you like the SSB's Nick. If I can get a pleasing background then I will gladly include it but it's not something I find easy to achieve. A bit of a mixed bag below.

I appreciate that John. Yes, get out there quick as the females are now out. See you at 5.00am :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thank you Wurzel. Yes, there seems to be more blue females than brown ones this year which I think is very odd. :?

Your last remark made me chuckle Neil as you are probably spot on. I'm glad you like that shot as I can promise you that I ended up a great deal wetter than any of those butterflies :roll: :lol:

I hadn't intended to go out today, mainly because of the weather, but by 4.30pm I needed some fresh air and exercise and as the SSB are so close, that was where I headed. I almost didn't take my camera because there was quite a fierce wind and the sky was overcast but in the event I'm glad I did. The first female I discovered looked as if she had just emerged and was still drying out her wings but a lack of sun deprived me of a better shot:
P1320774ad.jpg
It wasn't long before the butterflies looked as if they were settling down to roost, showing off their stunning studs, but the wind was so strong I had to take about 10 shots to get one that was even remotely in focus:
P1320833ad.jpg
P1320838ad.jpg
There were a few brief sunny intervals and I took full advantage of them to try to capture the lovely iridescence on the newly emerged females:
P1320809ad.jpg
I am puzzled that there does not appear to be any sign of ants or ant hills at this site as I had been under the impression that they have a close relationship with the SSB:
P1320816ad.jpg
The females were so fresh that I felt sure that, if the sun continued just a little while more, it would not be long before I witnessed a mating pair. I was not wrong.
P1320880ad.jpg
P1320901adpg.jpg

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Wonderful array of subject matter Pauline (as is usually the case :) ) and those lovely photo's do them all proud, I'm never anything but pleased after visiting your PD!!!

Regards,

Bill :D

When in doubt...venture out"

Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
David M

Post by David M »

Fantastic stuff, Pauline. Summer MUST be here if SSBs are out (although we Swansea residents wouldn't know it - it's been 14c and tippling with rain all day here; I've even put my heating back on tonight!!).

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I'm really pleased you like my diary Bill. Thank you so much for the compliments.

Thank you too David. I have to tell you that today's weather has been lovely and yesterday was OK but the rest of the time it has been grim here too and having a wooden house I have to keep the heating on too :roll: (Apparently it is not good for the wood to keep expanding and contracting!).

Today I had a choice of whether to chase after Swallowtails in Sussex (which seem to vanish into thin air after an initial sighting) or stay closer to home. I recalled that last year there were 2 sightings of Swallowtails in Selbourne and it is quite possible that this butterfly may have been under-recorded in Hampshire. I opted for a look round one of my closest sites and am pleased to be able to post the following photos:
P1330027ad.jpg
P1320998ad.jpg
P1330034ad.jpg
P1330039ad.jpg
Last edited by Pauline on Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Really superb photos Pauline :D perhaps it's going to be another Clouded Yellow summer :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”