Ethics of Captive Rearing

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Ethics of Captive Rearing

Post by Pete Eeles »

Hi all - I'm intending to write an article on captive rearing and would appreciate your thoughts on what needs to be discussed (to make sure the article is as complete as it can be). Aside from techniques, I'm also interested (in fact, most interested!) in the ethical side of things.

The need for such an article has become increasingly important as we've observed various unsuccessful rearing projects of late, especially the emergence of adults that are wildly out of sync with wild populations, and it would be irresponsible of UKB to avoid the subject altogether, especially since UKB's tagline is "Building a community of responsible butterfly enthusiasts".

So - what "questions" do you think the article should cover? Here's a starter for 10:

What are the valid reasons for captive rearing?
Should livestock ever be taken from the wild?
What should you do with adults that emerge?

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Mark Colvin

Re: Ethics of Captive Rearing

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi Pete,

I’m really pleased to see you’ve raised this issue as it's one that’s been preying on my mind for some time.

Most of us who have an interest in insects will probably have collected the caterpillars of the Small Tortoiseshell of ‘Cabbage’ White as a child and tried, often unsuccessfully, to rear them through to adulthood; I certainly did and my entomological interest was ignited. Consequently, I have nothing against responsible captive rearing or captive breeding.

Captive rearing is the nurturing of a species, typically from eggs or larvae, through to adulthood in one season. Captive breeding takes this a step further and involves the continuation of this chain through future generations i.e. by pairing the reared adults in order to procure future eggs etc. The reasons for captive rearing or captive breeding vary but include (a) breeding to study life-histories (which enable the observer to learn and document their observations), (b) breeding for conservation or reintroduction programs – the Large Blue (Maculinea arion) being a prime example, (c) genetic study (as the relatively short life-cycle of butterflies allow results to be seen in just a few seasons, (d) suitability of host plants, and (e) interaction with parasites to name but a few. Techniques vary for all species and, as several members of this forum have experienced, the wrong techniques can force, unintentialy or otherwise, ridiculously early emergence dates. The reverse can also be achieved by slowing the developmental process.

From a welfare perspective the needs of the butterfly must come first. Rearing for purely personal gratification or to practice photographic techniques cannot be justified.

Food for thought …

Kind regards. Mark
David M

Post by David M »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there several UK species that have protected status (e.g. High Brown Fritillary) meaning that no stage of the life-cycle can legally be taken from the field?
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Yes, that's absolutely correct. So when obtaining livestock from a 3rd party, its provenance should always be checked. Livestock of this kind is almost certainly going to be characterised as "captive bred" or non-British.

Cheers,

- Pete
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Having already provided some (limited) input on this subject I would only caution that any 'formal' guidelines should not be too restrictive as there is a danger that folk may be alienated and less likely to take heed. Any guidance needs to be backed by solid explanation. Perhaps the ethics elements of the guidelines needs to be divided into sections eg illegal, immoral, undesirable (and reasons why) - or similar. I have spoken to many folk over the years who indulge in captive rearing simply for the enjoyment of seeing it happen, and yes, also to take photos of it. I am no longer convinced that there has to be a 'better' reason, ie educational or conservationist, as long as it is legal, responsible and the insects are well cared for. I believe that most members who are attempting to rear butterflies are of a similar mind and it is the knowledge and techniques that are lacking out there, and which perhaps should be given some priority. I am looking forward to seeing the finished article.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Pauline:
I have spoken to many folk over the years who indulge in captive rearing simply for the enjoyment of seeing it happen, and yes, also to take photos of it. I am no longer convinced that there has to be a 'better' reason, ie educational or conservationist, as long as it is legal, responsible and the insects are well cared for.
That is precisely my reason but I only ever breed common species. I have in the past bred many of the British species (a bit naughty by today's standards) but now I stick to Green-veined White and Orange Tip. I get a huge kick from releasing the adults where they originated with the farewell as they fly off with a "Goodbye, I knew you as an egg!"

Only this afternoon I released two female Orange Tips at Lochdon where there is a good colony.

Here is one of the young ladies having her first meal. She did her first solo flight shortly afterwards.

Jack
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Post by Gruditch »

Irresponsible release :evil:

When I hear of something like a Marsh Fritillary being spotted at Magdalen Down, or a Black-veined White at Stockbridge Down. I wonder what is the thought process of the breeder. These places are nature reserves, in some cases it's illegal to release there. In the case of the Black-veined whites at Stockbridge, it caused a huge influx of people, who sadly flattened a large area of habitat. It wouldn't take much for an irresponsible release to mess up conservation efforts, " hey we don't have to do anything for the Dukes, the've turned up on their own " but of cause they will soon disappear again. At the very least transect reports could be distorted.

Regards Gruditch
Susie

Post by Susie »

I've given this a fair bit of thought over the years and my opinion has changed as time has gone on. I now believe that if there isn't something new to be learned or if it isn't for an official breeding programme or a mercy mission saving something that would otherwise have perished there is no justification for rearing butterflies.

These are not toys, they're living creatures and deserve respect and to have as natural a life as possible.

Breeding butterflies for the fun of it or to take photos is exploitative and selfish.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Pete. I think you have already made your position clear.

download/file.php?id=50007&mode=view

download/file.php?id=50338&mode=view

This is not meant as a criticism. Indeed, the opposite - I admire your skills. But I am puzzled as to why you started a topic which leaves you so open to adverse comment.

Jack
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Jack Harrison wrote:I am puzzled as to why you started a topic which leaves you so open to adverse comment.
Not sure why that should stop me - I should abide by whatever we consider to be "good practice" as much as the next man :) I'd personally like to think that I am "responsible", and defining that is the primary focus of this whole exercise.

Cheers,

- Pete
David M

Post by David M »

Susie wrote:I've given this a fair bit of thought over the years and my opinion has changed as time has gone on. I now believe that if there isn't something new to be learned or if it isn't for an official breeding programme or a mercy mission saving something that would otherwise have perished there is no justification for rearing butterflies.

These are not toys, they're living creatures and deserve respect and to have as natural a life as possible.

Breeding butterflies for the fun of it or to take photos is exploitative and selfish.
Didn't you rear continental Swallowtails yourself fairly recently, Susie, only to have them fly around your conservatory for their adult lifespan?

I see no harm in rearing common species so long as they're released near to where they were taken. In fact, I'd go further by stating that no child should ever be discouraged from participating in such a practice, as so many future experts in entomology, etc have honed their skills from a very early age by indulging in precisely this kind of activity.

I collected Small Tortoiseshell and Peacock caterpillars regularly when I was a child. Seeing them pupate and emerge as butterflies was an experience that made a lasting (indeed, lifetime) impression.

Similarly, I wouldn't condemn adults from pursuing their interests in this way as many people come to develop an interest in butterflies fairly late in life and if anyone of any age gains a greater respect and understanding for these insects by rearing early stages then so long as it's not a threatened species and the adults are released responsibly then I believe butterflies generally will benefit, and that's something none of us on here would protest about.
Tony Moore

Post by Tony Moore »

Agree entirely with David M.

Children, who often don't even realise that their chicken nuggets start as a living bird, are usually fascinated to watch the metamorphosis of a butterfly in the schoolroom. If this fosters an early appreciation of the wonders of nature, that can only be a good thing. Also, a few collected wild eggs, carefully reared, are likely to result in an almost similar number of adults to be released back into the ecosystem. If one in a hundred eggs successfully reaches maturity in the wild, that's probably a good result.
Responsible collecting (NO rarities), careful rearing, and release at the right time in the right place would seem to me to be OK.

Thanks, Pete, for starting this - it is an aspect of our interest that needed to be aired.

Tony M.
Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

I am following this thread with much interest and agree with many of the comments highlighted.

One thing I am particularly concerned about, and have been since my early days with the Amateur Entomologists’ Society (AES), is the education of children to ensure that an understanding and respect for the natural world is nurtured and hopefully carried forward into adulthood. People will not care about insect conservation unless they understand the importance of insects.

One of the best ways to learn about animals is to keep and look after them. Insects and other invertebrates are no exception. Generally they are easy to look after (provided you’ve researched how to care for them in the first place). After all, you wouldn’t purchase or take on the responsibility of a cat or dog without knowing how to look after it. Taking on the care of any animal is a huge commitment and, in my opinion, you should never take on such responsibility without fully researching their needs and preparing suitable housing and conditions for appropriate development and well-being.

I do of course understand that there are times where we are almost thrown into instant responsibility by finding a ‘lost’ bird (and we all know what we should do with that). This could equally apply to finding the windblown ova of the Purple Hairstreak or the flailed hedge trimmings containing Brown Hairstreak ova. I personally would probably take the eggs on board in order to rear them through in as ‘near natural’ conditions as possible - others will have also done this. I think this is to be applauded as much can be learnt - but it needs to be done properly and with full respect for the living creature we have taken into our care.

I look forward to further comments on the subject …
Susie

Post by Susie »

Yes David, I did a couple of years ago when I bought some from the AES Exhibition at Kempton Park, but with the benefit of hindsight never again :) it was a cruel and selfish thing to do.

I've taken emperor moth caterpillars from the wild and bred them on as well as other creatures and unless I was saving something from certain death I wouldn't do it again. The reason why I wouldn't do it is because I wouldn't learn anything that hasn't already been documented and I could discover with a bit of research.

I agree that children benefit from exposure to watching the life cycle so think it should still happens in schools and there are always butterfly farms that can be visited.

A lot of experts started off pinning butterflies and collecting birds eggs, hopefully we have moved on from that. I class breeding butterflies when you don't know what you're doing and you don't really care about the long term welfare of the creature with other practices that should be consigned to the past.

Edited: for typos.
David M wrote:
Susie wrote:I've given this a fair bit of thought over the years and my opinion has changed as time has gone on. I now believe that if there isn't something new to be learned or if it isn't for an official breeding programme or a mercy mission saving something that would otherwise have perished there is no justification for rearing butterflies.

Didn't you rear continental Swallowtails yourself fairly recently, Susie, only to have them fly around your conservatory for their adult lifespan?

I see no harm in rearing common species so long as they're released near to where they were taken. In fact, I'd go further by stating that no child should ever be discouraged from participating in such a practice, as so many future experts in entomology, etc have honed their skills from a very early age by indulging in precisely this kind of activity.

I collected Small Tortoiseshell and Peacock caterpillars regularly when I was a child. Seeing them pupate and emerge as butterflies was an experience that made a lasting (indeed, lifetime) impression.

Similarly, I wouldn't condemn adults from pursuing their interests in this way as many people come to develop an interest in butterflies fairly late in life and if anyone of any age gains a greater respect and understanding for these insects by rearing early stages then so long as it's not a threatened species and the adults are released responsibly then I believe butterflies generally will benefit, and that's something none of us on here would protest about.
Last edited by Susie on Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Susie

Post by Susie »

The title of this thread says it all really. The ethics of CAPTIVE rearing. Just as slavery was once thought acceptable by many one day captive rearing purely for the benefit of the captor will be recognised as unethical.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I was thinking about this thread as I was doing the washing up and recalling conversations I have had with folk over the years on this very subject. The one I shall choose to convey is that of Mathew Oates as I have a great deal of respect and admiration for him and most folk probably know who he is and what he does. As we chatted he was releasing a couple of the PE he had captive reared purely for the pleasure and the enjoyment of doing so. In his words 'I need to do it to get me through the Winter' - and yes, he took photos of them. Does that make Mr O exploitative, selfish, irresponsible, disrespectful etc - I shouldn't think so. I think we need to be realistic, pragmatic and open-minded when discussing this topic as much of it, to my mind, is common sense. Neil has already touched on the disease risk of releasing non-native species (and by that I mean the same species into a different location), and yeah, nobody wants to mess up the records or recording..... so, as long as folk are aware of these factors should we really be so discriminatory to those folk who can't race around the countryside looking at butterflies (cost of petrol, health issues, etc) and deprive them of the pleasure of getting close up and personal.
andy brown

Post by andy brown »

I thought I would add my thoughts, personally I have planted nettles, Garlic Mustard, (much to the disgust of the good lady) Sallow, Fuchsia and other larvae friendly plants in the garden with the intention that they will be found naturally by the respective species for these host plants. I personally see no issue when eggs or larvae are saved for certain death or potential risk as long as they are kept in the right conditions and environment where they would naturally be found. Would we not pick larvae, beetles or any other creature of the path/road and put it somewhere safe or should we let it take its chances. I was planning on purchasing and/or collecting a few larvae of the more common hawk moths that I do already find in the garden via moth trap, I am sure I will I will be questioned on my motives which are driven by my love of nature and the watching of it and if I can do that from the comfort of my garden all the better. We all have different views and motives in everything we do but unless it harms someone or something i.e. the environment we should cut people some slack.

Thanks

Andy
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

I don't intend to get drawn too deep into a highly complex issue such as this at this time of year, when every hour outdoors is like gold-dust, but I feel I should clarify comments made about my good friend Matthew Oates, who doesn't contribute to UKB, so doesn't have a voice. The couple/few Purple Emperor larvae that Matthew collects each year fall into the category of 'rescued from certain doom', from toppled or felled sallows. Although he gains great pleasure from nurturing them through the winter, and occasionally photographs them (usually to demonstrate a point raised in his extensive scientific research), it is disingenuous to suggest "he was releasing a couple of the PE he had captive reared purely for the pleasure and the enjoyment of doing so". As most will know, Matthew studies and tracks many larvae through the winter in the wild, so has no need to keep captive specimens purely as photographic subjects for his own gratification.
BWs, Neil
Susie

Post by Susie »

"SNIP"
andy brown wrote: We all have different views and motives in everything we do but unless it harms someone or something i.e. the environment we should cut people some slack.

Thanks

Andy
How about if it harms the butterflies? In the past I reared brown hairstreaks that I saved from a hedge that was going to be trimmed. I thought I was doing a good thing but by netting them the microclimate they were in meant they emerged earlier than their wild cousins. I set them free but whether they were able to breed, fight and do all the "normal butterfly" stuff is unlikely because of those few weeks discrepancy in emergence. Now if I find a brown hairstreak egg in a place I know is going to be trimmed I will take it, but I'll tie it directly onto another blackthorn twig in the wild to imitate as closely as possible the natural condition. I would love to bring it home, watch it grow and take photos as it pumps up it's wings again, but it wouldn't be in the butterfly's best interests and if I want to learn anything about those stages of a brown hairstreak's lifecycle I need do no more than look at the excellent resources on this website.

This is purely my opinion, I don't expect it to influence anyone else.
Last edited by Susie on Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tony Moore

Post by Tony Moore »

When this subject was first mooted, I thought it might open a whole can of caterpillars.... :mrgreen:

T.M.

Return to “General”