October 2007 Votes

This is a forum for, primarily, monthly (or so!) photographic competitions that complement the annual competition.

Which entry would you like to vote for?

Poll ended at Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:58 pm

Mike Young
11%
Dave McCormick
No votes
Denise
4%
padfield
7%
Matsukaze
No votes
alex mclennan
No votes
Dave Mac
7%
m_galathea
No votes
Paul Kipling
No votes
V6GTO
No votes
sahikmet
No votes
eccles
18%
Charles Nicol
4%
Ian Pratt
No votes
Chris
7%
Rogerdodge
7%
Simon C
No votes
Gruditch
No votes
NickB
4%
DaveW
No votes
Gwenhwyfar
4%
55bloke
No votes
Trev Sawyer
14%
Sue Wright
No votes
TW
14%

Total votes: 28

Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

October 2007 Votes

Post by Pete Eeles »

Hi folks. This thread is here to allow you to cast your votes for the October 2007 competition (see entries at http://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/phpBB2/v ... php?t=1708). You need to be registered and logged into the forums, where you'll be able to cast your vote for first place. Once you've voted, that's it!

Also - you won't see the current voting until you have voted!!!

This poll will run for 15 days.

So ... vote away!

Cheers,

- Pete
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Well, that was a pretty close competition! The winners are:

1st eccles
=2nd Trev Sawyer
=2nd TW
4th Mike Young
=5th padfield
=5th Dave Mac
=5th Chris
=5th rogerdodge

Well done all!

Cheers,

- Pete
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

And now for some feedback ...

Mike Young - excellent behaviour shot. Shame the male Brimstone isn't "frozen". Then again, I guess this does give a sense of movement!

Dave McCormick - Nice shot, shame the head, which is the one item that really shouldn't be "cut", is partially hidden behind a wing.

Denise - Certainly interesting behaviour. I guess we all know Commas as being camouflaged against dead leaves or bark, so the "camouflage" angle may not be as convincing! But taking up salts is definitely interesting!

padfield - love it. Save it for the "comedy" theme that I'm convinced we'll need at some point!

Matsukaze - Excellent behaviour shot. Shame the pair are so worn.

alex mclennan - Certainly interesting behaviour! Unfortunately, I guess this doesn't make the most colourful of pics!

Dave Mac - excellent shot. Another future category could well be "caption competition".

m_galathea - nice shot, although the behaviour isn't that obvious (as you explained!).

Paul Kipling - a good behaviour shot. I guess the surroundings don't help with the aesthetics.

V6GTO - very surprised this didn't get more votes. One of the best close-ups I've seen.

sahikmet - another nice shot, although it seems slightly out of focus. I also think that the cropped flower, and the awkward angle of the Large Skipper didn't help. at least you got the shot though!

eccles - disgusting shot :) that is techically excellent! Well done!

Charles Nicol - Certainly a creative entry! Although I thought it was difficult to determine what the behaviour being demonstrated actually was until I read your explanation!

Ian Pratt - nice shot. Although I get the impression that the voting public don't consider "nectaring" as particularly interesting behaviour. Then again, I'm not sure what criteria folks would have applied!

Chris - another interesting shot! Again, possibly insufficient "behaviour" being demonstrated to attract votes.

Rogerdodge - I take it all back - I don't think folks did pay that much attention to behaviour since this photo isn't anything special on the bahaviour front! But a lovely composition!

Simon C - Interesting shot - although I personally dislike pictures of butterflies on fingers or anything else that is "unnatural" :) Dog poo excepted.

Gruditch - Nice shot - but the behaviour is a bit contrived :) Definitely one for the caption competition :)

Nick B - interesting shot and good composition!

Dave W - I hate growing old :) I'm not sure how to classify this - but it wouldn't be "behaviour" :)

Gwenhwyfar - Very interesting shot - given this is in the UK! Was it a labrador? :)

55bloke - A rare sight of Small Heath - shame it's so out of focus. A faster shutter speed would help - if you have that luxury!

Trev Sawyer - excellent shot!

Sue Wright - very unusual shot indeed! I'll have to steal this for the ID section :)

TW - loved it. A real shame about that grass blade in front of the critter! But I loved the backlighting.

Cheers,

- Pete
Denise

Post by Denise »

Congratulations Eccles on winning this months comp. An excellent shot if somewhat graphic for my taste, but a brilliant shot all the same. :)

Trev Sawyer, beautiful shot and TW, clever shot deserve to be in the top spots too.

Mike Young as always with an outstanding shot.

I voted for Dave Mac who's shot was pin sharp and very unusual, brilliant.

Rogerdodge's Red Admiral was stunning and quite arty, very nice.

Simon C's pic was fab, but I prefer natural surroundings.

Gwenhwyfar, the dog poo in your shot must be very posh. All I get around here on poo are flies. Non the less a good entry.

55bloke. I thought that your entry was good and I am a little envious as I have never seen Small Heath....yet.

Sue Wright. I thought that your shot of an open winged Clouded Yellow was superb. This is a sight that I have never seen. You definitely deserved votes. :)

Well done to everyone who took part.

I would like to say a huge thanks to the person that voted for me. I didn't expect it but it was more than welcome, and thank you Pete for your kind comments.

Denise
Dave Mac

Post by Dave Mac »

Congrats to the winner (note to myself "must try harder")
Dave
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Yippeeee - a top 5 spot at last.
Message to self-
Must try harder next year!

Roger Harding

p.s. To those two kind souls with exquisite taste - thanks for the votes - you have made me very happy!

pps In my opiion I was good enough to come about 8th - but who am I to argue?
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

Woo-hoo!!! I'm over the moon with joint second spot. :D I too particularly liked Eccles and TW's shot. The demise of the fritillary was amazing and I am a sucker for those "backlit through the wings" shots of light-coloured butterflies. Plenty of other good shots too as usual and I also really liked Charles's snap of the skipper warming up his/her(?) engines before take off. A good "behavioural" shot.

Trev
Chris

Post by Chris »

Great shot Eccles... well done to everybody else, too! & thanks to the two folk that voted for mine. I thought I'd been a bit cheeky because, as Pete rightly pointed out, there really wasn't much behaviour involved!
eccles

Post by eccles »

Thanks for the nice words all. It's a real buzz to do well amongst such great photographers.
I voted for Trev's glanville frits that I thought were beautiful. Dave McCormick is probably going to kick himself when he learns that I would have voted for his emerging larva from the egg as I'd never seen that before, but he substituted the common blue. That shot was nice though.
Denise

Post by Denise »

eccles wrote: Dave McCormick is probably going to kick himself when he learns that I would have voted for his emerging larva from the egg
Me too. I thought that was brilliant. Not too late Dave to change Novembers entry! :wink:

Denise
Gwenhwyfar
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Gwenhwyfar »

Gwenhwyfar, the dog poo in your shot must be very posh. All I get around here on poo are flies. Non the less a good entry.
There are some posh people in and around the Stockbridge area, so I guess they are too posh to pick up after their darling pooch - ignorant more like it, but the butterflies don’t mind.
Denise, don’t forget to give us a shout if you ever make it down this way.

Well done all.
Chris

Post by Chris »

eccles wrote:Dave McCormick is probably going to kick himself when he learns that I would have voted for his emerging larva from the egg
Me too!!
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

Well guys, maybe I should have kept that, maybe I will change my entry for November. Well:

Mike Young = Nice shot of the brimstone, pritty intresting, looks as if the male is "frozen"

Denise = Nice comma, not everyday you see one taking up salts in UK

padfield = strange pic, derinatly different

alex mclennan = intresting shot, I have yet to see this behaviour

Dave Mac = nice, er.. Leaf! Well the fly thought so anyway, great shot.

eccles = This is a great shot, not everyday you see something like that, and to get as close and get the detail you did, great.

Charles Nicol = found this quite intresting when I saw it, well, I like skippers anyway.

Chris = your shot with the two proboscus, I think I have seen this once or twice, intresting anyway.

Gwenhwyfar = great shot of the blues there, I have not see that many in one area yet, still, keep looking and who knows.

Sue Wright = I kind of liked this one, rare you see a clouded yellow upperside, good getting that shot.
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

I really enjoyed browsing these photos because they all told a story. For the record, I voted for Nick B's shot of brimstones. What the picture lacked in technical brilliance it made up for in spontaneity and joie de vivre. In the spring and summer I carry a camera at all times just to catch moments like that!

The winning shots were, as ever, spectacular.

Guy
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

thanks for your kind comments on my vibrating skipper ( ooer matron )

i enjoyed the other pics too... the dragonflies look very menacing in close-up...like something from Dan Dare !!

i am reduced to taking pictures of squirrels now ...can't wait for spring 8)

a big thank to the person who voted for me... i was really chuffed

charles

Return to “Competitions”