Sallow

Discussion forum for butterfly foodplants, and butterfly gardening in general.
andy brown

Sallow

Post by andy brown »

Hi,

Looking to get some sallow and or poplar to rear some caterpillars on, short of going to dig some up can anyone give me info on a reasonably priced source for these.

Cheers

Andy
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Re: Sallow

Post by Pete Eeles »

Hi Andy,

Most garden centres sell Salix caprea as a graft onto a stem, so that it appears to be "weeping" (it's known as "Kilmarnock"). Every sallow I've ever had is of this form, since I've not got a huge garden, and have managed to rear quite a few species on it. Not sure if garden centres will still have them in stock (better ring them up first) since they normally sell male grafts that push out the yellow flowers and look quite spectacular! Although I think I saw some for sale last week somewhere!

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
andy brown

Post by andy brown »

Thanks Pete, will use the font of all knowledge later to check locally for any, short of that let me know when your out and I will come around with a shovel :lol:

Cheers

Andy
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

andy brown wrote:Thanks Pete, will use the font of all knowledge later to check locally for any, short of that let me know when your out and I will come around with a shovel :lol
One is in a pot, but that's now chained up :)

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Hi Andy
Of all places they have these on sale in Tesco during April when it is in flower - named as Kilmarnock Willow I bought two plants for £9 each last year - nice broad leaved plants. I am sure they will also be available in garden centres though as Pete says.
Kind Regards
Mark :D
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Hi Andy

I may be missing something here :? but Sallow is very common around this area. I live just around the corner from you in Hedge End. I get Sallow growing in my Garden quite regularly which I assume grows from seed. I regularly have to remove it from the garden and particularly from pots. If you want to start from basics I have a couple of tiny saplings just a couple of inches high which you are welcome to, they grow very quickly.

The house next door to us once had one which grew as a weed outside their kitchen window. The house was rented at the time and nobody did anything with it until it nearly completely obscured the front of the house. We eventually managed to get them to chop it down when it started obscuring our house as well. When it was removed I managed to retrieve half a dozen Comma Larvae from it :D It was also home to lots of Sawfly larvae, greenfly and ladybird larvae

I have no idea if my saplings will turn out male or female though. All this assumes I have properly identified the plant of course :lol: . Drop me a PM if you are interested and can drop one round to you if needs be.

Return to “Foodplants and Gardening”