Pauline

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Pauline

Post by Wurzel »

Sorry to hear about Stanleigh - she looked and sounded like a wonderful cat :(

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you for your kind comment Wurzel - she was truly amazing and befriended every sick, injured and orphaned creature I brought into the house over the years, regardless of species. She has been an excellent role model to my young cat who can now be left unsupervised with free flying birds.

Your comment means a great deal Mike given that you both actually met her. She certainly took a liking to you Cathy and I always found her to be a good judge of character :D

Needless to say that I have not yet had the energy or motivation yet to go too far afield and the weather certainly hasn't helped. After the thunder and gales today I went into the garden to check on the Orange Tip cats which were in a net cage on a table (out of the reach of hens). Despite being weighted down by heavy pots the whole lot had blown over. I have managed to salvage a few cats and took a couple of shots which wasn't easy in the wind:
P1300702ad.jpg
P1300694ad.jpg
Looking at the changes in them since my earlier shots I am assuming they must be in their 2nd instar.

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Very sorry to hear about Stanleigh but it sounds as though she had a very good life. I'm pleased you found a nectar source for the BH to enjoy - super pics as usual.

Mike

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Sorry to hear aout your cat Pauline I know how you feel, I lost my dog , (the one I mentioned the man ran a way from) she died of a Brain Tumour, that's the 3rd dog I've lost now I won't be getting any more !

On a brighter note your young cat sounds very much like the one you've lost so take heart from that Goldie :)

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you Mike on both accounts and I appreciate your understanding Goldie.

I am in danger of getting behind with my posts. About a week ago - don't even remember which day it was as it was such an awful week - I needed to get out for a while and decided to take a short walk along Oxenbourne. Despite the fact that it was 4.00pm, unlike recent visits to Wrecclesham and the Straits which had been largely devoid of butterflies, Oxenbourne was teeming. I don't usually provide lists but between 4.00pm and 5.20pm I had seen 16 species. These included a single Duke, a few PBF, at least 5 spanking new Red Admiral one of which was egg-laying, a couple of firsts for the season (Small Heath and Common Blue) and many, many more. It was warm and I was wearing shorts although I stuck religiously to the paths as this site is well known for ticks. Nevertheless, I came back with at least 14 on me and I am still suffering!! I was not in the mood to take any photos so nothing to show for the visit.

Today, having taken a prolapsed hen to the vet I decided to have a quick look at a couple of local sites in between the showers and quite late in the day. I was delighted to see that the WA cat is back and what a big cat he is now:
P1300717ad.jpg
P1300711ad.jpg
Whilst I was trying to get some photos this little chap jumped onto my boot. What a cutie:
P1300761ad.jpg
P1300736ad.jpg
A quick stop at Noar Hill around 5.00pm meant most butts were settling down to roost tho the weather was now probably the best seen all day:
P1300837ad.jpg
P1300879ad.jpg
P1300813ad.jpg
and whilst examining the nettles came across another unidentified spider :shock:
P1300780ad.jpg

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Pauline, may I add my belated condolences for the loss of your friend and companion, Stanleigh. I know just how much you will miss him.

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Pauline, lovely photo's again :mrgreen: The only thing I mange to film is grass stalks, there always in the way, how on earth do you manage to get things so green all the time behind your subjects, the only time I've got that is when I'm aiming at green leaves :lol: Goldie :lol:

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

I love the rather disgruntled look on the face of your first toad pic :)

Mike

Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Hi Pauline sorry to hear about Stanleigh - having been through that process with a number of dogs and a cat I can completely understand how you feel - but I have always taken comfort from the fact that I have given them a good life - and most were homeless before they came to me.
On a brighter note that Toad is wonderful - he looks seriously angry with you- watch out for him when he is bigger - he might do you some damage :D
Kind Regards
Mark :D

The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Pauline,

Just catching up again and very sorry to hear your sad news about your cat. I remember a few years ago when one of ours passed away after having him for many years, my wife Jane was so upset she could not bring herself to get another one for nearly 12 months. We eventually did get another one, a little jet black kitten with green eyes from a local animal rescue, who has now grown into a lovely 4 year old moggie.

I have to agree about the comments about the expression on the toads face, that's a proper little scowl :lol: great stuff.

All the best ,

Neil.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I appreciate that Guy. I have been around long enough to remember Asha and of course more recently your kitten Cat. There is a poem by Rudyard Kipling I believe called 'the power of the dog' which warns against 'giving your heart to a dog to tear' but to my mind the sentiment applies to any animal companion.

Thank you so much for your comment Goldie. I think it might be something to do with depth of field and/or positioning yourself in such a way that there is a clear background but of course with some species this is just not possible, as you have found.

I have never seen such a tiny toad Mike - he was gorgeous. I could easily have taken him home but resisted the temptation.

It has seriously helped Mark knowing there are others out there who have been through it and understand so thank you. The sympathy and condolences from so many were unexpected.

Thank you too Neil but you didn't tell me your moggies name - I like to know all the details :lol:

It would seem that I am being gently nudged in the direction of moths via the caterpillar route. On the brink of pupation the WA cat has gone AWOL which is hugely frustrating; subsequent searching revealed these:
P1310095ad.jpg
Blossom Underwing
P1310185d.jpg
Unidentified
P1310189a.jpg
Lackey moth larva
P1310192d.jpg
Unidentified

Back at home the Orange Tip caterpillars are continuing to grow
P1310114ad.jpg
P1310154ad.jpg

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Hi Pauline,

Your first moth is an Angle Shades (Phlogophora meticulosa).

http://ukmoths.org.uk/show.php?id=1731

Superb photos, as usual!

Best wishes,

Lee
Last edited by Lee Hurrell on Mon May 26, 2014 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

While the second is one of the Footmen, I think Orange Footman (Eilema sororcula) going by flight times.

http://ukmoths.org.uk/show.php?id=805

Best wishes,

Lee

To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Paul Wetton

Post by Paul Wetton »

Hi Pauline

Just wanted to pass on my sympathies for the loss of your cat. I had my cat Gizmo for 20 years before he was taken away from me due to cancer. I swore I wouldn't have another due to the upset but now have Floss who was unwanted due to being in a road traffic accident. Glad we took her on as she is wonderful.
keep your chin up and carry on with all your good work. The photos are great as usual.

All my best.

Cheers Paul

Post by Pauline »

Thank you for the ID's Lee. There's definitely some interesting creatures out there. Step by step, one by one, I am trying to learn which is which but there are just so many moths .. :shock:

I appreciate the comment and the compliment Paul. I am pleased to hear that Floss is now OK after her broken pelvis. I remember you both had to rush back from Kent as she was on cage rest so it is great to know she has made a full recovery.

After recent happenings here I decided it was time to do something for myself. For many years I have wanted to see a Swallowtail so arrangements were put in place - animal carer organised, B&B selected, maps printed out etc. Typically, it was not to be :( . The combination of further animal problems plus a dodgy weather forecast resulted in a change of plan. However, despite the weather today I decided to stray into Wurzel territory. Naturally there was no-one else there - who else would be daft enough on such a grey, cold, overcast day with a rumble of thunder in the background to go out looking for butterflies. I didn't find many - only about 4 worn looking PBF and about the same number of SPBF but it was enough to keep me interested. A few shots below:
P1310409ad.jpg
P1310483ad.jpg
P1310443ad.jpg
P1310503ad.jpg
As I was on Wurzel's patch I felt obliged to try to take one of his stained glass shots which is no-where near as good as the ones he gets but when looking at it later I spotted what appears to be eggs of some sort on the Bugle. Wish I'd noticed them at the time. Any ideas gratefully received.
P1310387ad.jpg
P1310373ad.jpg
P1310462ad.jpg
P1310504ad.jpg
There were several Argent and Sable moths flying around (another one I have learnt :D ) but as usual they either wouldn't stop or landed too high up. The only one that allowed me to take some reasonable shots had a big chunk missing out of his wing :( . I can't remember having seen them land with their wings closed before so that is the one I have elected to post although the composition leaves a lot to be desired:
P1310510ad.jpg
After a while I decided to check out the MF but by the time I arrived at the location it had turned even colder with more cloud cover and a lot of dampness in the air. Nevertheless, I did see a butterfly which I assume was a Fritillary but unlike the slow and sleepy PBF's and SPBF's I had left behind this one was moving at the speed of light and I simply couldn't follow it with my eyes. It would disappear over the fence or behind a bush without a trace. This happened 3 times so I had more than one chance to at least ID it. It is a while since I have seen MF but I can't remember them covering the area at such a speed. Any recent visitors to that place got any ideas?

Paul Wetton

Post by Paul Wetton »

Floss is doing fine and getting up to mischief as often as she can. She still has a little bone growth to go but should all be ok. She'll be going outside soon so I hope I can teach her to behave as well as your cats with regard to birds and other small creatures.
Another set of great photos Pauline. Lovely SPBFs.

Cheers Paul

Post by Maximus »

Great stuff Pauline for such perseverance in really grim weather :D Lovely photos as usual, very well deserved :D

Mike

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I was in Bentley but not in the Eastern Clearing this morning Pauline and so I'm gutted on two fronts - first I missed out on catching up with you and secondly finding some roosting SPBFs as I've struggled to get the closed wing shots this year. Yours are cracking as usual :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Pauline wrote:who else would be daft enough on such a grey, cold, overcast day with a rumble of thunder in the background to go out looking for butterflies. I didn't find many - only about 4 worn looking PBF and about the same number of SPBF but it was enough to keep me interested
Hi Pauline

I remembered your advice from this time last year and I also headed out in driving rain over the weekend with an umbrella :lol: However, I had much less success than yourself :(

Sorry to hear about your feline companion and also your collection of unwanted guests from Oxenbourne. Better luck with the Swallowtails next time, maybe the next time we will have Swallowtails closer to home :wink:

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you Paul - I'm glad you like them. Cats can be trained (against their natural instincts) but it does take time.

I appreciate your comment Mike, thank you.

Thank you for your sympathy Paul - I appreciate it. I am glad you have joined the small select group who are not afraid to venture out in adverse conditions :lol: . As I wandered around Bentley yesterday I took this shot of a few deer. They were quickly joined by the rest of the herd (about 30 individuals in total) and stampeded across the track. How lovely I thought .... and then I thought of all those extra ticks :shock: :evil:
P1310516ad.jpg
I am so sorry I missed you Wurzel; it would have been good to chat. You would not want to take closed wing shots like mine. Because of the weather conditions the butterflies were too closed up which in my opinion spoils the composition. A little while back Neil H posted an Orange Tip which for me is the ideal profile - poised and ready for action :mrgreen: That breeze easily blew the hind wings out of focus too but if I waited for the perfect photo and perfect weather conditions I would never post anything :lol:

A few shots from yesterday which have been cropped slightly differently and which I think I might prefer (still wondering what those 'eggs' are - anybody???
P1310408bd.jpg
P1310458ad.jpg
P1310359ad.jpg
One of the worn and tatty PBF by way of comparison:
P1310347ad.jpg

Return to “Personal Diaries”