Daneway Bank

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
CJB

Daneway Bank

Post by CJB »

Good Morning UK B'ers,

It has been a while since I posted, but I have been reading all your posts with interest.

I managed my first outing yesterday to a specific sight and made my way to Danebury Bank. I parked up next to the Daneway Inn (old habits) and can't help feeling that I was not in the fluttery hotspot. I literally had a 10 minute window of sun before the heavens opened. (Any pointers Mike?!)

However, being the hardy bunch they are, the butterflies appeared. I saw Brown Argus, Dingy Skipper (worn), Peacock and Small Heath. Attached is my best photo to date of a small heath and yes. I am still using the mobile!
Small Heath
Small Heath
I am hopeful of seeing the Large Blues there in July.

Flutter on!

CJB
MikeOxon

Re: Daneway Bank

Post by MikeOxon »

When I visit Daneway, I usually take the upper path from the entrance gate (turn left then up the hill) This curves to the right and follows the North edge of the reserve all the way to a clearing at the far North East corner. This is usually a good area. Another path slants diagonally downwards from this clearing, to follow a lower route back to the gate. Last year, I saw Large Blues on the lower route.

Mike
jasonbirder

Post by jasonbirder »

Brown Argus and Small Heath makes for a good trip! I'll look forward to a report of your Large Blue visit!
CJB

Post by CJB »

Thanks Mike and Jason!

I am seriously keeping my fingers crossed for the Large Blue.
MikeOxon wrote:When I visit Daneway, I usually take the upper path from the entrance gate (turn left then up the hill) This curves to the right and follows the North edge of the reserve all the way to a clearing at the far North East corner. Mike
Thanks Mike; I am sorry to be confused, but where is this in relation to the Daneway Inn?

Great reports from you too Jason. Chuffed with my Small Heath picture, using the Wurzel's 'stain glass' effect!

Flutter on!

CJB
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

If you have come from Sapperton, you cross the bridge over the river close by the Inn. As the road curves to the right, there is a very narrow road to the left that leads steeply uphill, opposite the Inn. The entrance gate to Daneway Banks is opposite the entrance to Siccaridge Wood, 100m or so up the hill.

Best to look at the map on the Gloucestershire Wildlife Trust site: http://www.gloucestershirewildlifetrust ... eway-Banks

Mike
CJB

Post by CJB »

Now I'm with you, Mike! Thank you so much.

Have a great weekend and fingers crossed for some flutter-friendly weather.

Flutter on!

CJB
CJB

Post by CJB »

Good morning UK B'ers

I managed to grab 30 minutes and return to Daneway Bank at the weekend and didn't have enough time to follow Mike's directions. It wasn't a wasted trip though and I managed to snap some locals on the phone. Definitely my best Dingy to date and a slightly worn Brown Argus. The image of the Dingy does highlight the fading or aberration of another recent image.
Brown Argus
Brown Argus
Dingy Skipper
Dingy Skipper
Faded/Ab Dingy
Faded/Ab Dingy
The best surprise of the weekend thought was a new species at home, where I have left a patch of ground to grow wild which has produced a few moths but best of all a pair of Brown Argus!! This means the list of home species is: Orange Tip, S White, GV White, L White, Brimstone, Peacock, S Tortoiseshell, Red Admiral, Brown Argus. No sign of any blues as yet, but fingers crossed!

Flutter on!

CJB

Return to “Sites”