Katrina

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Katrina

Re: Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thank you William, I wondered when I saw the photos although didn't notice at the time - too busy trying to get the photo I expect to really look at the butterfly.

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Not the best photo ever but I saw, with a little help from others, a Norfolk Swallowtail today !
Attachments
DSC01472.JPG
DSC01472.JPG (93.16 KiB) Viewed 3469 times

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Katrina

Norfolk Swallowtail Success Day 1

Post by Katrina »

Drinker Moth Caterpillar
Drinker Moth Caterpillar
Drinker Moth Caterpillar
Drinker Moth Caterpillar
Small Tortoiseshell Caterpillar
Small Tortoiseshell Caterpillar
On Friday me and my sister took a short trip to Norfolk. We went in the morning to the Ted Ellis nature reserve and later on to Strumpshaw fen. The sun was shining and both places were alive with wildlife. In the first reserve we saw approx 12 Peacocks, 4 orange-Tips, 8 Brimstones, 1 Small Tortoiseshell, 4 Green-Veined Whites, damselflies, dragonflies, a grass snake and about 15 caterpillars on nettles which the very helpful warden identified for us as Small Tortoiseshell caterpillars. Then onto Strumpshaw fen and the surrounding area where I saw my first ever Swallowtail. We also saw approx 15 Peacocks, 4 Small Tortoiseshells, 2 Green-Veined Whites, 10 Brimstones, 4 Common Blue, 1 Holly Blue, 4 Orange-Tips and 1 Speckled Wood.
Attachments
DSC01467.JPG
DSC01524.JPG
Last edited by Katrina on Sun May 18, 2014 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Katrina

Day 2 - 17th May

Post by Katrina »

Well really half day. Headed back to the Ted Ellis reserve for the morning. No Swallowtails but the same range of butterflies and caterpillars as the day before. We came across 3 emerging dragonflies and went back to look at them later in the morning. We think they may be scarce chasers. 2 Grass Snakes seen, 2 Cranes and 1 Kingfisher. Unfortunately I only had camera with macro lens with me. Then stopped off at Mill Road Cemetery Cambridge on the way back and saw 3 blue butterflies flying high up which I think were Holly Blues, two Speckled Woods and a few white butterflies.
Attachments
DSC01609.JPG
DSC01680.JPG
DSC01699.JPG
DSC01746.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Sorry you didn't get to see more Swallowtails - but I always reckon the hardest bit is seeing the species in the first place once you have you sometimes end up tripping over them :D I hope that's the case for you.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thank you Wurzel, I think we were very lucky to see one at all as the first one had only just been spotted a few days earlier, and I think, up until the time we left yesterday lunchtime, none had been seen yet at the Ted Ellis reserve. Magnificent butterflies though and may be tempted to go back sometime to try and get a good photo.

Katrina

Painted Lady and Caterpillar Pests

Post by Katrina »

This morning I went to Southwick Canal. The first butterfly I saw of the day was my first Painted Lady of the year. I also saw 3 Small Whites and 3 Common Blues. Another thing I saw was some interesting caterpillars with 2 red spots on their backs. Having done some googling I think they are Brown-Tail moth caterpillars which are apparently highly irritant if handled so be warned if you visit the site. I then went on for a quick stop in the Chantry Hill area of the Downs and saw 1 Wall Brown, 1 Painted Lady, 1 Green Hairstreak, 1 Brown Argus,3 Small Heaths 4 Common Blues and 7 Dingy Skippers. I stopped at Mill Hill on the way home and saw a fox, 2 Red Admirals, a few Dingy Skippers and some Common Blues and Adonis Blues.
Attachments
DSC01889.jpg
DSC01919.JPG
DSC02028.JPG
DSC02068.JPG
DSC02116.JPG
DSC02248.jpg

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Hi Katrina. I've only seen Norfolk swallowtails once, when I was a child, and I didn't get any photos - but what memories!

I'm sure that's a scarce chaser. You were very lucky to catch them emerging.

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Katrina

Brown-Tail Moth Caterpillar

Post by Katrina »

A photo.
Attachments
DSC01804.jpg

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Hi Guy, yes I think we were lucky. It seems to be a good site for them there - there was even one flying round the car park.

David M

Post by David M »

Red Admirals and a Painted Lady on the same day!!!

You are surely now a member of a small but elite band of people.

andy brown

Post by andy brown »

Hi,

The cat is a Brown Tail, nice picture as well.

Andy

andy brown

Post by andy brown »

Sorry should have read the heading :oops:

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Andy - I probably should have written a note to go with the caterpillar photo to explain it so my fault really.

I am adding 2 photos of the first Painted Lady from yesterday. It had a large chunk out of its wing - I wonder if it lost it here or flew across the sea with it missing.
Attachments
DSC01785.JPG
DSC01782.JPG

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

It is said (no personal experience) that hairs of Brown Tail moth can cause skin irritation.

I did however suffer a severe rash from a rather nice garden herb, Rue Ruta graveolens, so bad that I had to stop growing it. I guess not everyone reacts in the same way to particular irritants.

Neil Hulme knows all about Lyme Disease from deer ticks. There must be many other unpleasant insects that butterfliers might come across.

Jack
Last edited by Jack Harrison on Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Katrina

Grey Day

Post by Katrina »

It was a grey and intermittently drizzly day here today but inspired by William's previous photos of OTs and raindrops I decided to go out. I spent the afternoon and Kithurst and then Chantry Hill. At Kithurst I found a Speckled Wood and 2 roosting butterflies. I am still at the looking in the book stage for identifying undersides but I think they are Brown Argus butterflies as they seem to have twin-spots. I would appreciate confirmation.Then at Chantry Hill I found 4 more of the same.
Attachments
DSC02334.jpg
DSC02403.JPG
DSC02433.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

The second shot is lush Katrina. As for the ID I would go with Brown Argus for the first for sure and the second. I'd also go for Brown Argus for the third but it's one of those ones that I'd like to have seen in the field to be sure. I look for the first two spots on the hind wing if they look horizontal like an infinity sign then it's a Brown Argus but an '8' leading to a nice arc of spots makes it a Common Blue. Sexing them as male and them having brown wings is the easiest way but you don't always find them posed open winged.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thank you Wurzel - I am glad you agree with the IDs, as even with the aid of photos and book it didn't seem that straight forward.

Katrina

More of the same

Post by Katrina »

Headed out for a late afternoon walk on the downs and saw a few Brown Argus, Dingy Skippers, 1 Common Blue, 1 Small Heath, 1 Red Admiral and a Painted Lady.
Attachments
DSC00094.JPG

William

Re: Grey Day

Post by William »

Katrina wrote:inspired by William's previous photos of OTs and raindrops
I'm flattered - superb photos Katrina :)

Return to “Personal Diaries”