Great site

Let us know what you think of the UK Butterflies website, and tell us something about yourself!
LCPete

Great site

Post by LCPete »

Just noticed this introduction section so thought I'd say Hi.
I've only recently noticed the site but will be a regular as I have found it to be really helpful and friendly.
I live in North Wales.
Even though I'm in my 40's I've only recently got into butterflies.
In sept 2006 I bought an Digital SLR with macro lens and started trying to photograph dragonflies then last summer got into butterflies too.
Pete
Paul

Post by Paul »

Welcome! I've been looking in for 5 months now & am addicted! Nice to know there are people around who care about the same things!!
Mike Young

Post by Mike Young »

Welcome Pete, glad you've found the site, don't worry about being late getting into Butterflies, I'm in my late fifties and only got really serious about them last year. :D
Regards Mike
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Post by Gruditch »

Hi and welcome Pete, you may regret getting in to butterflies, as sooner or later you will be obsessed with seeing all the UK species, hence see ya when you come to Hampshire :lol:

Gruditch
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

Hi and welcome from me Pete, soon since you got into butterflies, you will want as much shots as possible, my dad is in his late 40's and is obsessed at times, he spent 3 hours in a forest waiting to see some holly blues in July this year, andf he got excited seeing common blues, so, it does not matter how old or young you are, what you see and learn that counts.
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
Denise

Post by Denise »

Hi Pete and welcome.
I'm in my 50's and have only really been into butterflies for a year. I have so much to see and I'm learning all the time. Yes, you can teach an old dog new tricks! I have become somewhat addicted and can't wait for next season, when I will be doing a trek to Hampshire. :)

Denise
LCPete

Post by LCPete »

Thanks very much everyone :D
I'm glad I found this site and its nice to know that there are other people similar to me that that have recently got into butterflies.
I think I'm already obsessed as I'm already planning next summer :D
Pete
Martin

Post by Martin »

Hi Pete,
This season was my first full season of butterflying in the UK (recently moved back from Spain where my interest in b/flies started) and as the season was dying I was thinking "Should have tracked down more species" and "Must get more ticks next year". But, after a little contemplation, I'm now glad I didn't "tick" a lot of the species I set out to bag...I'm really pleased I've left myself enough "firsts" to last me a fair few years. Don't be in too much of a rush...smell the flowers along the way :D

Martin.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Well said Martin. I can honestly say that my least enjoyable year was 2006 when I spent the year rushing around trying to photograph all of the UK species in the same year (I failed to see Mountain Ringlet, and failed to photograph White-letter Hairstreak).

I'd recommend setting a small number of target species and enjoy the rest along the way :)

Cheers,

- Pete
LCPete

Post by LCPete »

Thats a very good point Martin and Peter it would be easy to just rush around trying to see everything too quickly. I will start with a few local species. I would be happy to see fritillaries and anything else would be a bonus
I am also trying to get photos of the butterflies and as you know there is no such thing as the perfect photo. I am always going back to try to get a better shot. :D
At the moment I'm having a go at photographing the birds in our garden that come to the feeder.
I've got shots I'm happy with of Sparrows and Robins so I've got a long way to go yet :D
Pete

Return to “Guestbook”