Lee Hurrell

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Lee Hurrell

Post by Lee Hurrell »

And so to 2014.

In February, I visited RHS Wisley and the butterfly house. Unbeknownst to me at the time, it was here that my Canon 10D died. I took many photos, most of which ended up plain black. These pictures were taken before the camera's demise.
IMG_0260.JPG
IMG_0275.JPG
IMG_0285.JPG
IMG_0290.JPG
IMG_0305.JPG
In a coincidental foretelling of how I would be photographing butterflies for the early part of this season, I also started experimenting with my mobile phone while I was there. With 8MP, my mobile has more than the Canon's 6MP. I found out later you can also adjust ISO, exposure value, take burst shots and macro images. As you can tell, I had some way to go!
20140216_132843.jpg
20140216_133041.jpg
20140216_133113.jpg
20140216_133534.jpg

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

1st March 2014

I didn't get to explore my new home too much last year, something I am determined to put right this year. To start, I visited Howell Hill NR in Ewell, not very far from home, even walkable. It is managed by Surrey Wildlife Trust and looks like a very lovely site. It's a chalk grassland site which holds Small Blue and Green Hairstreak and I aim to pay return visits to watch what happens throughout the seasons. All 4 Surrey Hairstreaks have been recorded here and that fills me with excitement!

No sightings on this day though.

Unless otherwise stated, all photos from here on will have been taken on my mobile phone.
Howell Hill, Ewell, Surrey, 1st March 2014

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Susie

Post by Susie »

Happy birthday Lee :)

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Happy Birthday from me too. And thanks for such a vivid reminder of those heady days last autumn when, for a short while at least, the Long-tailed Blue was a British butterfly! :D :D :D
Best Wishes, Neil

David M

Post by David M »

Happy birthday from me too, Lee. Keep the images and reports coming.

Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Lee Hurrell wrote:I didn't get to explore my new home too much last year, something I am determined to put right this year.
Good man! And Happy Birthday, Lee!

Cheers,

- Pete

Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Thanks Susie, Neil, David & Pete. I've had a wonderful day, despite the weather.

There are many reports and photos to come :D

Lee

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

8th March 2014 - Season Under Way :D

A visit to my Mum's in Somerset in lovely spring weather just had to produce my first sighting of the year. I wasn't disappointed :D

On 8th March, in the village I saw a Red Admiral and a Comma. My first species of the year had gone back to being a Red Admiral; it had been a Peacock for the last two years. 2014 was off to a start!

I went for a longer walk but saw nothing else, despite going to my favourite field and where there were many Commas last autumn. This really is one of my favourite places to visit and I never see a soul there. Complete tranquillity.
Field next to Stone Wood, Brompton Ralph, Somerset, 8th March 2014
9th March 2014

The next day things had really woken up with all 5 hibernators seen. I saw a male Brimstone flying through the garden while just around the house there were 6 Small Tortoiseshell, 5 Peacock, 3 Comma and 4 Red Admiral.
Red Admiral, Brompton Ralph, Somerset, 9th March 2014
Red Admiral, Brompton Ralph, Somerset, 9th March 2014
Comma, Brompton Ralph, Somerset, 9th March 2014
Peacock, Brompton Ralph, Somerset, 9th March 2014
Peacock, Brompton Ralph, Somerset, 9th March 2014
Small Tortoiseshell, Brompton Ralph, Somerset, 9th March 2014
Small Tortoiseshell, Brompton Ralph, Somerset, 9th March 2014
The photos do get a bit better... :oops:

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Hi Lee, I really enjoyed your Long Tailed Blue entry it brought back memories of a very exciting day!

Best Wishes,

Hoggers.

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Thanks Hoggers, it was a day to remember, that's for sure!

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

16th March 2014 - Surrey wakes up

After seeing 5 male Brimstone from my bedroom window on the 15th March, Sunday 16th was going to be a good walk. 3 male Brimstone were seen in Epsom on the way to Howell Hill, nearby in Ewell.

A further 15 male and 1 female Brimstone, 1 Peacock, 2 Small Tortoiseshell and 10 Comma were seen.
Comma, Howell Hill, Ewell, Surrey, 16th March 2014
Comma, Howell Hill, Ewell, Surrey, 16th March 2014
Another new site isn't far away: Warren Farm. This old farmland borders Nonsuch Park with it's manor house and a good walk around both (huge) made me want to come back again later in the year to look for hairstreaks. Warren Farm, like Howell Hill, also holds a Small Blue colony. Today though, 2 male Brimstone, 2 Peacock, 2 Small Tortoiseshell and 5 Comma were seen.
Peacock, Warren Farm, Ewell, Surrey, 16th March 2014
Peacock, Warren Farm, Ewell, Surrey, 16th March 2014
Comma, Warren Farm, Ewell, Surrey, 16th March 2014
Comma, Warren Farm, Ewell, Surrey, 16th March 2014
I will certainly be visiting again.

NB - the photos on this post only were taken with a Canon compact (not sure of the model, it wasn't mine). Back to mobile phone photos from here.

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

More Howell Hill

19th March - 2 Small Tortoiseshell were seen but no other sightings.

29th March - I have found a new way to reach the nature reserve, which takes me around some local field margins, woodland edges and mature hedges, which again look worthy of future investigation later in the year. Today though, they held my first spring emergee; a male Small White :D Also seen in the way to the reserve; 10 male Brimstone, 5 Peacock, 5 Small Tortoiseshell and 3 Comma.

In the reserve itself, 7 male and 1 female Brimstone, 3 Peacock and 2 Comma.

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

9th April 2014

My first Holly Blue of the year at Barons Court underground station (which is above ground and has some big ivy bushes along one wall).

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Spring has Sprung (12th/13th April)

On the weekend of 12th and 13th April, I spent a family visit in rural Worcestershire. Spring officially started on Saturday 12th when a male Orange Tip flew through my nan's garden :D

The village is only 5 minutes from Grafton Wood, a BC reserve I always visit when I am there (although to date this has not coincided with the star attraction, the Brown Hairstreak. I may put that right this year). On Sunday 13th, in and around the wood, the number of butterflies was astonishing. 19 male Orange Tip, 2 Green Veined White (with other unidentified whites), 2 male Brimstone, 26 Peacock, 1 Comma, 1 Small Tortoiseshell, 3 Speckled Wood and 1 Holly Blue. Phew!

Some mobile phone pictures:
Grafton Wood, Worcestershire, 13th April 2014
Grafton Wood, Worcestershire, 13th April 2014
Orange Tip, male, Grafton Wood, Worcestershire, 13th April 2014
Orange Tip, male, Grafton Wood, Worcestershire, 13th April 2014
Brimstone, male, Grafton Wood, Worcestershire, 13th April 2014
Brimstone, male, Grafton Wood, Worcestershire, 13th April 2014
Speckled Wood, female, Grafton Wood, Worcestershire, 13th April 2014
Speckled Wood, female, Grafton Wood, Worcestershire, 13th April 2014
On the way home driving south on the M40, at 4pm it was still blazing sunshine, so I figured it be rude not to stop at Aston Rowant :D I was glad I did, as along with the 3 Small Tortoiseshell and 5 Peacock seen, a Green Hairstreak landed at my feet when I was heading back up the slope to the car park.

That makes 11 species by 13th April!

I couldn't resist this wise old tree.
Aston Rowant, Oxfordshire, 13th April 2014

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

18th April 2014 (Good Friday)

In somewhat overcast conditions, I had a long walk and explored the area around Howell Hill in Ewell, Surrey. On my new route to the reserve along one of the field edges, I found 4 larval nests of Small Tortoiseshell caterpillars, all in close proximity. Luckily there are a lot so nettles so they won't go hungry. I look forward to watching them develop in return visits. Nearby could have been one of the parents as 1 Small Tortoiseshell along with 1 Peacock and 7 Small White were seen.

I think these are both Small Tortoiseshell:
Small Tortoiseshell larval nest, Ewell, Surrey, 18th April 2014
In Howell Hill itself, just 1 male Orange Tip, 1 Peacock and 4 Small Speckled Wood were seen. With the paucity of butterflies, I took to trying my mobile on some of the flowers.
Buttercup, Howell Hill, Ewell, Surrey, 18th April 2014
Buttercup, Howell Hill, Ewell, Surrey, 18th April 2014
Speedwell, Howell Hill, Ewell, Surrey, 18th April 2014
Speedwell, Howell Hill, Ewell, Surrey, 18th April 2014
Hawthorn, Howell Hill, Ewell, Surrey, 18th April 2014
Hawthorn, Howell Hill, Ewell, Surrey, 18th April 2014
Dandelion, Howell Hill, Ewell, Surrey, 18th April 2014
Dandelion, Howell Hill, Ewell, Surrey, 18th April 2014
Tomorrow's weather looked a bit brighter...

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Saturday 19th April 2014

Surrey Skipper(s)

I was hopeful of my first spring skippers today and Denbies didn't disappoint. I only visited the Silver Spotted Skipper field and searched well. After a male Orange Tip and a female Brimstone, first up was a Dingy Skipper.
Dingy Skipper, Denbies Hillside, Surrey, 19th April 2014
Dingy Skipper, Denbies Hillside, Surrey, 19th April 2014
A grey blur could only mean one thing...
Grizzled Skipper, Denbies Hillside, Surrey, 19th April 2014
It was what the forecasters call sunny spells, so the periods of cloud cover meant I could find and approach the butterflies when they stopped flying and they were quite docile. I spent a lovely couple of hours with the skippers.

Sightings for Denbies; 1 male Orange Tip, 1 female Brimstone, 3 Dingy Skipper, 2 Grizzled Skipper and this fearsome looking beast.
Agalenatea redii (Gorse Orbweaver), Denbies Hillside, Surrey, 19th April 2014
Agalenatea redii (Gorse Orbweaver), Denbies Hillside, Surrey, 19th April 2014
Sheepleas

I then moved on to Sheepleas "Nettle" Meadow, in between East and West Horsley, which I had been reading about in the Surrey BC magazine (also called Surrey Skipper). The branch has been trying to make it the county's second reserve (Oaken Wood at Chiddingfold is the first) but for now the meadow remains managed by Surrey Wildlife Trust as part of the wider Sheepleas complex. It is essentially a large square area surrounded by mature hedges, woodland and what looked like a stable. Sheepleas is a large area of many meadows with different flora types as a result of being farmed, or not. The "nettle" meadow contains mainly just that thistles and grassland. It is marked as simply "farmland" on the notice board map so presumably has been farmed until fairly recently with the farming resulting in the "weedy" (I read good for wildlife) plants. Another meadow that had escaped the plough holds primroses and cowslips for example. The wider woodland also holds hairstreaks, emperors and admirals, which means I will be returning in high summer :D

But for today, it had clouded over by the time I had arrived and no (adult) butterflies were seen. No matter, I came to explore after reading about it and I will be back later in the year. I walked the perimeter and did find a Small Tortoiseshell larval nest though although I didn't do a thorough search.
Small Tortoiseshell larval nest, Sheepleas "Nettle" Meadow, Surrey, 19th April 2014
Small Tortoiseshell larval nest, Sheepleas "Nettle" Meadow, Surrey, 19th April 2014
Just some of the many nettles.
Sheepleas "Nettle" Meadow, Surrey, 19th April 2014
Sheepleas "Nettle" Meadow, Surrey, 19th April 2014
Last edited by Lee Hurrell on Sat May 24, 2014 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Very nice photos of the Skippers at Denbies Lee :D a site I have yet to visit.

Mike

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Many thanks, Mike, very kind of you to say. Not bad for my mobile!

I'd be happy to show you around Denbies if you do visit, it's a wonderful place.

Best wishes,

Lee

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

agalenatea redii for your spider Lee.

Chris

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

That's great, thanks Chris. I'll edit the post.

Best wishes,

Lee

Return to “Personal Diaries”