May 2014

Discussion forum for sightings.
David M

Re: Rodborough Common, Gloucs

Post by David M »

Stampy98 wrote:A brief visit to Rodborough Common this morning, resulted in my first Adonis Blue of the year.
Thanks, Stampy. You may have now confirmed my plans for this coming Saturday!
Philzoid

Re: May 2014

Post by Philzoid »

Hoggers wrote:I came across an online blog "Greenie in the Wild" today which has photos of Glanville Fritillaries now on the wing at Hutchinson's Bank Nature Reserve, Croyden. 8 or so seen a couple of days ago.
Thanks for this info Hoggers :D . I came across a copy of the Surrey skipper magazine an in it they mentioned that 3 were seen there last year but none at wrecclesham. I'm based in Surrey and after the disappointment last year of not seeing them at Wrecclesham this offers a new opportunuity to check out :)
MrSp0ck

Post by MrSp0ck »

Here are a few pictures of Glanville Fritillary taken at Hutchinson's Bank the last couple of days. 12 were seen on 14th May, and are easy to find on the site.
Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Regarding the Glanvilles, I'm glad to be of help! As far as I'm aware the site is open to all.

Today I went to Abbot's Wood in Sussex where I saw 14 Pearl-bordered Fritillaries
IMG_1376.JPG
I've put a few more pictures in my diary.

Best Wishes,

Hoggers.
MrSp0ck

Post by MrSp0ck »

Butterflies seen at Hutchinson's Bank Croydon today.

Dingy & Grizzled Skippers, Small & Common Blues, Glanville Fritillary, Small Copper, Brown Argus, and the usual Brimstone, Red Admiral, Peacock, Small Tortoiseshell, Comma, Orange Tip. The site is open, and we have had many visitors the last week, and ask photographers to be careful in the cutting when taking photos not to trample all the foodplants.
Stampy98

Post by Stampy98 »

I was wondering if anyone knew what the state of play is with the Glanville fritillaries at Sand Point in Somerset? Is this population still holding on? Would appreciate any info.

Many thanks

Gareth
David M

Post by David M »

Stampy98 wrote:I was wondering if anyone knew what the state of play is with the Glanville fritillaries at Sand Point in Somerset? Is this population still holding on? Would appreciate any info.

Many thanks

Gareth
Gareth, both Bill (Willrow) and I visited last year in peak flight season and during ideal weather conditions and saw none at all. That's in contrast to 2012 where there were dozens flying around.

One wonders whether the abnormally cold spring last year brought about their demise.

Having said that, Somerset & Bristol BC Branch did post a first sighting there last year so they clearly weren't completely wiped out.

One wonders whether the mild winter just gone may see them return in decent numbers (though given that this is an artificially introduced population one can't rule out numbers being 'topped-up').

It's definitely worth a go, but personally I'd favour the Bank Holiday weekend as if there are any there, then they should definitely have emerged by then.
web4160

Post by web4160 »

I visited Sand Point today. No Glanvilles to be seen although in previous years I have seen them during the last week in May/ first week in June so it was probably too early this week. The site does look in better condition than last year so hopefully they are still some there.
MrSp0ck

Post by MrSp0ck »

2013 was bad for Glanvilles everywhere, they need a warm March and April, for the caterpillars, and we had the snow until mid-April.

UKBMS shows 3 Transects that had Glanvilles in 2013. You can access all the Transect data and sites via the UKBMS website.

http://www.ukbms.org/SpeciesListbyYear. ... &year=2013

Hutchinson's Bank Index 3 Butterflies 3
Mottistone Down Index 4 Butterflies 3,
Sand Point Index 6 Butterflies 5,

So Sand Point had the best numbers on transect in the UK. But numbers very low, as in 2012 not a good year Glanvilles were seen on 8 Transects.

Hutchinson's Bank is a warm site, and near to Urban Croydon, Jersey Tiger has now established in the area, we had our first one on site last year.

In an Early Year the first sightings end April and Early May, Normal Year Late May and Early June, and a 2013 year Mid to Late June [if at all]
There were only 2 Sightings at Wrecclesham in 2013, and none so far in 2014
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Hutchinson's Bank Glanvilles - presumably an introduction?

Jack
MrSp0ck

Post by MrSp0ck »

Jack Harrison wrote:Hutchinson's Bank Glanvilles - presumably an introduction?

Jack
re-Introduction into former natural site [nr dulwich until 1760s, eg Dullidge Fritillary], 2010-2011 a few larvae from Wrecclesham as stated in Butterflies of Surrey revisited.
jasonbirder

Post by jasonbirder »

At least half a dozen Marsh Fritillary on the wing at Little Scrubs Meadow, Chambers Farm Wood (Lincs) today in bright sunshine

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Pearl-bordered Fritillaries now on the wing in Hailey Wood, Cirencester Park.
Hailey Wood, Cirencester - 14th May 2014<br />Nikon D300s with 300/4 lens - 1/350s@f/6.7 ISO400
Hailey Wood, Cirencester - 14th May 2014
Nikon D300s with 300/4 lens - 1/350s@f/6.7 ISO400
Mike
vawn

Post by vawn »

Today in my garden, 3 speckled woods, this time last year there was only one and there are 2 holly blues, again there was only this time last year
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Image[/FONT]
downland boy

Post by downland boy »

White Admiral larva (final instar) in Rowland Wood, East Sussex today. The photos show it at rest, feeding and in defence posture.
Attachments
White Admiral larva (defence posture) 16.5.14 Rowland Wood, East Sussex. Downland boy.JPG
White Admiral larva (feeding) 16.5.14 Rowland Wood, East Sussex. Downland boy.JPG
White Admiral larva (resting) 16.5.14 Rowland Wood, East Sussex. Downland boy.JPG
kevling

Post by kevling »

A great day spend at Hutchinson's Bank today, in the company of three fellow lepidopterists. Many thanks for letting me join you.

4 Glanville fritillaries seen, including one that tried it's hardest to mate with a Comma.
Also present were Grizzled/Dingy Skipper, Small/Common/Holly Blue, Brown Argus, Brimstone, Green Hairstreak, Orange Tip, Speckled Wood, Small Heath, Peacock.
Having first found an Orange Tip egg, I also witnessed a Brimstone laying an egg on buckthorn (see photos of each).

Regards
Kev Ling
Attachments
Hutchinsons Bank - 160514 (27).JPG
Hutchinsons Bank - 160514 (15).JPG
Hutchinsons Bank - 160514 (32).JPG
Hutchinsons Bank - 160514 (33).JPG
Hutchinsons Bank - 160514 (41).JPG
Brimstone Egg - Hutchinsons Bank (3).JPG
Orange Tip Egg - Hutchisons Bank (1).JPG
John W

Post by John W »

kevling wrote:A great day spend at Hutchinson's Bank today, in the company of three fellow lepidopterists.
Hi Kev, would you mind telling me where you parked and which direction you set off in?

Thanks
John
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

An early finish at work meant I was on the hillside at Denbies by 6pm. I spent a wonderful hour and a half in the company of my first Adonis Blues, Common Blue, Brown Argus and Small Heath of the year going to roost in the warm evening sun. Dingy and Grizzled Skipper also seen.

Photos to follow in my diary.

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Aberbargoed Grasslands NNR, Monmouthshire (Gwent). Something told me that all the conditions were right for an earlier that expected emergence of Marsh Fritillary from the reserve and after duly consulting my old diaries to compare weather conditions from the last few years I concluded that it was worth a quick check, not disappointed, saw seven 'mint fresh' individuals and I believe they all took their maiden flights when disturbed, I took just a few record shots and left them in peace.

My search for the elusive chrysalis continues, I'm constantly aware that now is perhaps the wrong time for footing it around the 'core pasture' even wearing caterpillar boots... :lol: and my eyes are beginning to see pupa in the shapes of seed heads and all other matter of things, there's only so much a man can take :roll: :shock:

Bill :D

"When in doubt...venture out"
Attachments
Not the best image but it is the first of the Marshy season!!!
Not the best image but it is the first of the Marshy season!!!
Staying down in the grasses
Staying down in the grasses
The Heath-spotted Orchid are now appearing on the reserve
The Heath-spotted Orchid are now appearing on the reserve
Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

Seen yesterday at Afton Down Freshwater:
Small blue 30+
Green hairstreak 20 +
Dingy skipper 10
Grizzled skipper 2
Small heath 2
Brown argus 1
Also 6 Glanvilles at Bonchurch Esplanade on Thursday.
Ian
www.flickr.com/photos/lepreskil
Attachments
11-Pratt-Ian--P1000625.jpg
10-Pratt-Ian--P1000624.jpg
08-Pratt-Ian--P1000615.jpg
06-Pratt-Ian--P1000612.jpg
04-Pratt-Ian--P1000520.jpg
03-Pratt-Ian--P1000557.jpg
02-Pratt-Ian--P1000515.jpg
01-Pratt-Ian--P1000532.jpg
01-Pratt-Ian--P1000513.jpg