Canon 100-400mm Zoom

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
Wayne Fennell

Canon 100-400mm Zoom

Post by Wayne Fennell »

I've just bought a Canon 100-400 zoom, (it broke my heart and and bank balance) but wow, what a fantastic lens. I'm just posting this subject to see if any body else uses the same lens and to ask their opinions of it.

Wayne
Martin

Post by Martin »

I use it , and also love it. It's great for b/flies with a set of extension tubes...

Martin.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

I assume this is the L series lens? If so - I have this and it's the best zoom lens I've ever owned :)

Cheers,

- Pete
Dave Mac

Post by Dave Mac »

I've just ordered one at what I think is a cheap price (this is a comparative term) :) Its for birding this winter and possibly for next summers butterflies and dragons. However due to the postal strike it could be a while getting here :(

dave
LCPete

Post by LCPete »

Hi We bought this lens for zoo photos but I recently tried it for dragonflies with an extention tube. This worked really well and cant wait to try the same combination for butterflies next summer. I was recently thinking of getting the Sigma 150 but decided against it as I never have the patience to set up a tripod. With the IS on the 100-400 hand holding is no problem.
Pete
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Post by Gruditch »

Hi Pete the Dust pump is undoubtedly a great lens, I had a brief go with one a while back and was very impressed. However with a minimum focus distance of 1.8m, some shots/angles would be unattainable.
Take a look at mike Youngs breeding Glanville Frits pic ( June comp ) and too get Gwenhwyfars winning pic in the last comp, you would need to go armed with a mower.
I think you'll find a good number of Sigma 150 owners do hand hold, it is F/2.8 after all. I use a monopod, which is hardly an inconvenience, infact it makes it easier to carry, but like youself I hate using a tripod.

Cheers Gruditch
Dave Mac

Post by Dave Mac »

Well mine finally arrived and I'm trying to get used to it. Its a lot heavier for hand holding than my 300 zoom but its still possible. The results are nice and sharp and I like the extra reach, all I need now is some decent weather (Its been cloudy and dull here for a week) to get some good results
Dave
LCPete

Post by LCPete »

Gruditch wrote:Hi Pete the Dust pump is undoubtedly a great lens, I had a brief go with one a while back and was very impressed. However with a minimum focus distance of 1.8m, some shots/angles would be unattainable.
Take a look at mike Youngs breeding Glanville Frits pic ( June comp ) and too get Gwenhwyfars winning pic in the last comp, you would need to go armed with a mower.
I think you'll find a good number of Sigma 150 owners do hand hold, it is F/2.8 after all. I use a monopod, which is hardly an inconvenience, infact it makes it easier to carry, but like youself I hate using a tripod.

Cheers Gruditch
Hi Gruditch you are right about the minimum focus distance. I did use the 100-400 with an extension tube though to reduce the focus distance and found I could fill the frame with a dragonfly so I am hoping it will be usable for butterflies. I still plan to mainly use the Sigma 105 for butterflies this is a brilliant lens, just sometimes I have found more reach would be handy.
I have got a monopod but have not used it yet :oops: but I mainly do quite a bit of walking round so try to limit what I carry.
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

Yeah I know what you mean about a little more reach. I actually use my Sigma 150 with a x1.4 tele converter, which makes it a 210mm F/4.
I do like my monopod I've had a go hand held, but found that i don't get many keepers.

Gruditch
Dave Mac

Post by Dave Mac »

Had a chance to get out and about with my new zoom and I think i'm in love. I know its the wrong subject but butterflies are in short supply around here at the moment.
[img]http://homepage.ntlworld.com/djfmackenz ... wigeon.jpg[/img]
[img]http://homepage.ntlworld.com/djfmackenz ... ldfare.jpg[/img]
Dave
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

I am in the opposite situation, got the big zoom and new to macro.

I have been using the 100-400L for a couple of years and find it great for most wildlife including Butterflies that you can't get near to.
This is a great wildlife lens and in my opinion if you only ever go for one lens then this is the way to go. Reasonably portable, reasonable for hand holding (I also use a mnopod quite a bit)

Some results at http://www.nigelspencer.co.uk
but I can't seem to be able to load pictures to this site. not sure what I am doing wrong.

I have just ordered a sigma 150 2.8 and a 40D so hope to get some better close up results next year.

While no one wishes there life away i can't wait for some longer warm days to get out with the camera again.
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Nigel wrote:but I can't seem to be able to load pictures to this site. not sure what I am doing wrong.
Hi Nigel,

Take a look here:

http://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/phpBB2/faq.php?#15

Cheers,

- Pete
Bryan H

Post by Bryan H »

Dave Mac wrote:Had a chance to get out and about with my new zoom and I think i'm in love. I know its the wrong subject but butterflies are in short supply around here at the moment. Dave
Dave,

I think the picture of the pair in flight is stunning!

Bryan
eccles

Post by eccles »

Nice capture of the fieldfare too. I haven't seen any this year.
Dave Mac

Post by Dave Mac »

Thanks for the kind words.
Dave
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

Yes Dave very nice shots :wink: , My Step Dad was so impressed with my new Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 that he was thinking about getting one. I pointed out that he will need to use a tripod if he gets this lens. That was enough to put him off, ( he's not big on carrying a tripod about ), but I then pointed out how much more the Canon 100-400 IS would suit him, and now he's getting one. And I'm sure I would only have to ask should I wish to borrow it :D

Gruditch
George

Canon 100-400 lens

Post by George »

Just got this lens a few days ago and tought I would try it out in the local park with some quick shots. Very pleased with what I have seen so far but have no idea what this bird is. So if anyone out there can help - sorry it is a bird but I haven't seen a butterfly for weeks!!

Thanks
George
Lance

Post by Lance »

Hi George
Its a Muscovy Duck, Cairina moschata
Regards Lance

Return to “Photography”