Forest Of Dean

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
kevling

Forest Of Dean

Post by kevling »

Hi,

In addition to my recent post regarding Haugh Wood, Herefordshire, I will also be spending some time exploring the Forest Of Dean itself in a fortnight's time. I already have Ewyas Harold earmarked for PBF, but was wondering if there were any specific sites within the Forest of Dean for either PBF or SPBF.
Any suggestiosn would be gratefully received.

Regards Kev
David M

Re: Forest Of Dean

Post by David M »

I've been to Woodside and White Rocks in the Forest of Dean several times and although I have seen Wood Whites and Grizzled Skippers here, I've never seen either PBF or SPBFs.
Glostopcat

Post by Glostopcat »

As far as I know pearl bordered fritillaries are not found in the Forest of Dean, the only place they can be seen in Gloucestershire is in Hailey Wood near Cirencester. They can be found in Haugh Wood between Ross-on-Wye and Hereford, it would be possible to visit this location if you are staying in the Forest of Dean as it would only be around 30 to 40 mins drive from there. Small pearl bordered fritillaries can be found at Serridge Green near the village of Brierley. You should also find wood whites there. I think small pearl bordered fritillaries can also be found at Nagshead nature reserve which is managed by the RSPB. I know that grizzled skippers are found there, although there were none seen when I visited on Friday.
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Hi Kev,

Brierley (entrance opposite petrol station) has S P-b F and also Linear Park, near Cinderford. I don't believe Pearl-bordered Fritillary are found in the F of D.

Other places that Small Pearls are found are Darkhill/Gorsty Knoll near Lower Milkwood, also Moseley Green, near Parkend.

Strongly advise you purchase Ordnance Survey - Explorer Map OL14, the forest can be tricky, you can't see the woods for the trees :lol: enjoy!!!

Bill :D

"When in doubt...venture out
Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
kevling

Post by kevling »

David/Bill/Glostopcat,

Thanks for the early replies to my query, most appreciated.

Bill, Map OL14 already purchased. Planning to take the bikes into the forest with teh family and thought the very same thing.

Regards
Kev

Return to “Sites”