Hoggers

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Hoggers

Re: Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Many thanks for the kind comments, Small Coppers are cracking little butterflies. Thank goodness they have such a long season!

I finished work early today so stopped off at Folkestone Warren on my way home. It was very warm and calm along the base of the cliffs, the only sound to be heard was the lapping of the waves and the rather bovine-sounding complaint of nesting Fulmars who clearly didn't like the look of me.

Lots of Small Whites and plenty of Dingy Skippers whizzing about
IMG_9991.JPG
IMG_0023.JPG
IMG_0025.JPG
Two Orange Tips (both males), a Speckled Wood and four Green Hairstreaks
IMG_0013.JPG
The best surprise came with this Wall
IMG_9996.JPG
I didn't know they were out
IMG_0001.JPG
I saw two in all
IMG_9964.JPG
So well worth my stopping off for a wander.

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Back to Dungeness today for more Small Coppers
IMG_0051.JPG
There's such a marvellous show of them at the moment
IMG_0057.JPG
IMG_0068.JPG
IMG_0069.JPG
It's not to be missed
IMG_0088.JPG
Dungeness itself is coming into bloom and when the flowers and the Small Coppers get together they put on quite a show
IMG_0089.JPG
What a bouquet!
IMG_0091.JPG

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Plenty of sunshine today although I didn't see that many butterflies on my walk with the dog, it was rather quiet. But I did see a Small Tortoiseshell, a Red Admiral, a Green-veined White and two Orange Tips, a male and this female
P1050783.JPG
P1050776.JPG
P1050790.JPG
P1050806.JPG
It's the first female Orange Tip I've seen this year
P1050816.JPG
P1050812.JPG
So I was lucky to find it feeding on this flower where I could take some pictures before it set off again on its travels
P1050822.JPG

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

I took myself down to Dungeness this fine morning.

The beach was lined with birdwatchers on look out for the squadrons of Pomarine Skuas that pass by The Point every May (a thrilling sight).

The shingle which is so barren and bleak in Winter is now a carpet of flowers with Small Coppers vying for the best of them
IMG_0190.JPG
IMG_0188.JPG
I counted 58 Small Coppers during the course of my walk
IMG_0104.JPG
But I had another butterfly in mind when I decided to visit Dungeness today: the Grizzled Skipper.

I've been looking for them here ever since April turned out to be so warm, but had no luck. If I saw one today it'd be on the fourth time of trying!

And it didn't look as if I would be successful today either. After an hour of searching I had about given up when I just happened to see one sunning itself on a leaf
IMG_0137.JPG
IMG_0140.JPG
IMG_0162.JPG
Like something out of Star Wars
IMG_0161.JPG
It was the only one I saw
IMG_0168.JPG
I guess it's still early for this site.

So I added a new butterfly to my 2014 tally and what with there being such a show of flowers and Small Coppers I was very pleased I'd visited Dungeness today
IMG_0187.JPG
IMG_0141.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

General Grevious is the baddy from Star Wars ( the not so good new ones) that I think Grizzlies look like Hoggers! :D Just been doing some catching up - great reports and shots especially the lushious Coppers :mrgreen: I wasn't too sure but your Dingy looked paler and greyer than what I'm used to?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Sunshine and showers today. Rather breezy too. I thought I'd chance a visit to Denge Wood between showers to see the Duke.

I arrived at 10am and on the walk to Bonsai Bank saw not a single butterfly which is unusual because you're almost guaranteed a few Orange Tips patrolling up and down at this time of year.

However, despite there not being a great deal of sunshine I very quickly came upon a Duke once I'd reached Bonsai Bank
IMG_0321.JPG
And then another one
IMG_0390.JPG
And when it brightened up for a spell it brought the Dukes out to play
IMG_0342.JPG
IMG_0359.JPG
At one point I watched 6 of them whizzing about together
IMG_0440.JPG
I'm pretty confident that I saw at least 10, probably more, including this striking individual
IMG_0426.JPG
When I first glimpsed it I thought it was a mini Marsh Fritillary!
IMG_0428.JPG
I don't think it has lost its colour through being worn as it looks pretty fresh to me
IMG_0434.JPG
IMG_0477.JPG
It's good to see this rare butterfly doing so well in Kent. I must go back later in the season to see how they're doing
IMG_0466.JPG

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

I couldn't resist going back to Denge Wood today for another look at the Dukes. Denge Wood is only 20 minutes from where I work so when I finished early I headed straight there arriving around 1130, timing it perfectly to get caught in a heavy downpour!

As the rain splattered down I watched a Dingy Skipper go to roost and then battern down the hatches
IMG_0507.JPG
I scurried under a tree until the squall had blown through. The sun came out strongly and almost immediately the Dukes popped out all over the place
IMG_0489.JPG
IMG_0570.JPG
IMG_0587.JPG
IMG_0610.JPG
IMG_0625.JPG
I saw around 8 Dukes today and putting aside my camera for a moment I enjoyed watching them chasing around, spiralling high as if inside an invisible chimney and then parachuting back down to their watching posts
IMG_0613.JPG
The Dingy Skippers looked happier in the sunshine
IMG_0649.JPG
And seeing them here reminded me of your comment, Wurzel about the Dingies I see at Folkestone: they certainly do appear to be more sandy coloured than the inland ones.

Whilst watching the Dukes I saw a Green Hairstreak which just before I took this photo was apparently egg-laying
IMG_0640.JPG
I also saw Speckled Woods, several Green-veined Whites and a Small White.

It was a very rewarding visit to Denge Wood. The Duke is a rare butterfly and I'm fortunate to have one of its strongholds more or less on my doorstep, so I try to make the most of it
IMG_0492.JPG

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Lovely series of Duke photos in your last couple of posts Hoggers.

Cheers,

Neil

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Love your Duke photo's, Hogger's, I can't wait to go to Gaits Barrow to look for them, it's about an hour's drive and when the weather is bad it certainly is in the Lakes. Goldie :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great Dukes Hoggers and that roosting Dingy is a cracker, I've only ever seen them do that once before myself but I love that pose. :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Thanks for the comments guys : Dukes are great fun to see and photograph. I'm very lucky to live within 30 minutes' drive of Denge Wood.

Some nice sunny spells today and unlike over the weekend, it was pleasantly warm. I went for a walk in Orlestone Forest where I saw 6 Brimstones
IMG_0880.JPG
And 2 Orange Tips
IMG_0831_2.JPG
IMG_0842.JPG
IMG_0847.JPG
IMG_0895.JPG
A Speckled Wood and this bashed and battered Peacock
IMG_0889.JPG
When I got home I saw a Holly Blue and a Large White in the garden.

I've had my eyes peeled for Common Blues and Brown Argus but no luck so far.

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

I visited Alex Farm Pastures in Shadoxhurst, Kent this morning, just a 15 minute drive from home. There was a great deal of cloud about but in the breaks it grew pleasantly warm.

Alex Farm Pastures is a designated SSI and once was home to Pearl bordered and Small Pearl bordered Fritillaries. Now it's known for its Grizzled Skippers.

The sun was shining when I arrived and I soon found a Grizzlie
IMG_0997.JPG
IMG_0999.JPG
But then a flash of white caught my eye and when I looked more closely I saw it was another Grizzled Skipper but this time one that I believe is a taras
IMG_0934.JPG
I was over-the moon!

It's a very striking butterfly indeed
IMG_0933.JPG
IMG_0940.JPG
IMG_0949.JPG
IMG_0920.JPG
Another Grizzled Skipper, this time of the more usual kind, suddenly appeared and paid court to the taras so looks like it was a female
IMG_0950.JPG
I'd seen 5 Grizzlies by the time that the cloud clumped over completely
IMG_1002.JPG
Then it started to rain so I headed back home.

A brief visit but rewarding
IMG_0956.JPG

Buchan Boy

Post by Buchan Boy »

Nice one on the taras Grizzled, Hoggers,bit jealous here! :mrgreen:

Dave

Regards
Dave Browne
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Brilliant taras. Your first grizzlie has a lot of ab. intermedia about it. From the right hand side alone I would have said it was intermedia, but the left hand side is not so clear cut ...

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Buchan Boy wrote:Nice one on the taras Grizzled, Hoggers,bit jealous here! :mrgreen:

Dave
Great find Hoggers - massively jealous here :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Hi guys, many thanks for your kind comments! I've never seen a taras before so you could have knocked me down with a feather when it appeared right in front of me!

Happy Hunting,

Hoggers.

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Lovely taras, Hoggers!

Best wishes,

Lee

To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I concur, stunning little butterfly that Taras :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

The taras was a real cracker, Wurzel, I'd no idea what a stunning little butterfly it is until I bumped into it yesterday.

So you can easily imagine what my first thought was today when I finished work early!
IMG_1241.JPG
Yes, I went back to Alex Farm Pastures and relocated the taras which wasn't difficult because it was in exactly the same place as yesterday and it's such a dazzling creature it stands out a mile
IMG_1214.JPG
IMG_1246.JPG
IMG_1070.JPG
And just like yesterday it drew not only my attention but that of another Grizzlie
IMG_1267.JPG
IMG_1297.JPG
There was a bit of a chase and the taras did a lot of wing fluttering but the end result was the two went their separate ways.

I managed to get some more underwing shots of the taras today
IMG_1175.JPG
IMG_1187.JPG
IMG_1194.JPG
I also saw a Peacock, several Speckled Woods, a Green-veined White and an Orange Tip
IMG_1316.JPG
More sunshine today than yesterday but still plenty of cloud about and so after an hour in the company of the taras when the sky had clouded over again I decided to head for home but I'd some very fond memories to take with me
IMG_1149.JPG

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

I paid my annual visit to the Pearl Bordered Fritillaries of Abbot's Wood today
IMG_1329.JPG
As usual, I arrived when the sun was at its strongest and the butterflies were whizzing about like greased lightning, but I enjoy the chase and also seeing them do what butterflies do best on a sunny day
IMG_1334.JPG
This was the closest I got to an underwing shot!
IMG_1397.JPG
Lots of those Yellow Speckled moths about (I couldn't help wishing the PbFs were as numerous!)

But then a large cloud positioned itself overhead and although it remained warm, conditions suddenly became a lot duller. This had a calming effect on the butterflies which settled on bushes and on the ground with wings wide open
IMG_1350.JPG
IMG_1358.JPG
At one point I found 4 PbFs all quietly resting within a few feet of each other
IMG_1376.JPG
I saw 14 PbFs in all
IMG_1383.JPG
And when the cloud had passed it was "Chocks Away" once more!
IMG_1335.JPG
I also saw Speckled Woods, Large and Green veined Whites and Brimstones.

Sadly, the Ice Cream Van wasn't there today (I usually have a celebratory "99") so I had to settle for one of my Marmite and Banana sandwiches instead
IMG_1375.JPG
Still, mustn't complain....!

Return to “Personal Diaries”