Heddon Valley

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
LCPete

Heddon Valley

Post by LCPete »

Hi we are going to the Heddon Valley and staying at the Hunters Inn for a few days next July
Hopefully to see fritillaries. It looks like the Hunters Inn is a nice place for the missus and I to spend 2 or 3 days and hopefully see some butterflies.
I thought that the second or third week in July would be the best time to go judging by the flight times chart.
Has anyone been to the Heddon Valley and can reccomend any good places to start :D
Thanks
Pete
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Hi LCPete!

David Newland's "Discover Butterflies in Britain" has a couple of pages dedicated to Heddon's Mouth; he even mentions Hunter's Inn!

I think if you were to simply head north from the Hunter's Inn (through the woods) towards the coast, you'll end up at Hedden's Mouth. According to David's book, this is a distance of 1 mile.

I'd recommend the first or second weeks of July, rather than second or third. These weeks "should" be fine for seeing both High Brown Fritillary and Dark Green Fritillary. But with climate change - who knows? :)

Cheers,

- Pete
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Heddon Valley is one of my favourite local spots - I live only 15 miles away.
You have a choice of footpaths either side of the valley. I usually go up the east side, always taking the left fork, until I come tp the bridge where I cross the stream (very good for dipper, grey wag and kingfishers if you are early in the day and quiet).
Then, as you head on down towards the sea, there is a long, low, rough stone wall on your right. This run of wall is the prime spot. In the bramble, thistle, umbilifer jungle the other side you will encounter DGF, SWF, SPBF (if early enough) and HBF. Also Green Hairstreak, Wall, Holly Blue, Comma and the usual whites and Nymphs. On the open areas further along are small copper and common blue. I have been told about purple hairstreaks both here and further back, but not seen them myself.
After playing on the beach for a while (excellent chance of peregrine and possibly hobby) head back the way you came, but don't go back over the bridge.
On your left are lots of wet meadows with bramble and bracken and (strangely) huge buddleia. Here you are almost guaranteed valezina - I have seen them every year I have visited.
I think reports of White Ad here are exagerated, but you never know.
The woods themselves play host to redstart and pied fly, so don't forget your bins.
You must also visit Braunton Burrows. A good day trip away, but sometimes astounding numbers of butterflies - the mid to southern section is most productive.
HTH
Roger Harding
alex mclennan

Post by alex mclennan »

Roger
I've just sat down at the computer. It's cold and dark outside, there
is a gale howling and the rain and sleet are hammering against my
window.
Then I read your message .........
and I was crossing that bridge, walking alongside that old stone wall with a carpet of spring flowers everywhere, the sun shining, a cool breeze coming off the sea and birds and butterflies everywhere vying for my attention.....
then my wife came in and told me that the sleet had turned to snow!
Ah well, it was a lovely few minutes. Thank you!
Alex
LCPete

Post by LCPete »

Thanks Pete and Roger :D thats brilliant
We will take your advice and go in the beginning of July
I cant wait already as many of the species you've listed will be new to me.
Even though I'm in my 40's I've only recently got into butterflies. From last summer from seeing them while I was after dragonflies.
I spent most of my spare time last summer watching and photographing Butterflies and Dragonflies.
Pete
Ps I have ordered the book
Martin

Post by Martin »

From the book :-

Along the river from the South,
Walking on to Heddon's Mouth,
Here, where meadow grasses flower,
Suited as an insect bower.
Along the path, beside the river,
Today's butterflies will shiver.
But No! A flimsy, watery sun
Brings them out to have some fun.
Common Blues, Small Coppers too
Feed and play within our view.
A Dark Green before our eyes
Lays her eggs of pinpoint size.
Ringlets fly and dip and weave.
Reluctantly we take our leave.

Nice, huh?

Martin.
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Post by Gruditch »

Nice :) are we going there Roger :?:

Gruditch
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Yes we are! and Braunton Burrows too!!
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

:D

Gruditch
LCPete

Re: Heddon Valley

Post by LCPete »

Hi we are going this weekend but the weather forecast looks a bit grim showers at best :(
are we likely to find any butterflies in these conditions , I have found with damselflies if I can find them in poor weather that I've managed some nice photos but with fritilaries I guess they will be roosting in the trees ?
Pete
wavelea1

Post by wavelea1 »

Hi.

Just back from three days in Lynton - the intention was to attempt the Heath Frit at Haddon Hill on the Sunday (29th?) and the High Brown on the Mon or Tues at Watersmeet or Heddon. Weather prevented the first but we found the Dark Green at Watersmeet and on a great Tues (1st July) the Dark Green, Silver Washed and several High Brown Frits at Heddon Valley - the walk to the sea was great as well.
The High Browns here not confined to one location but quite widespread with the best area being just over the 2nd footbridge (south side) and either stay in that small meadow area or walk back towards the Inn to the brambles on your left. We saw about six in these two areas - photographing them is another story. We were very lucky.
Hunters Inn looks great - we stayed at Woodlands in Lynton and I can commend it on all levels.

Wavelea1
LCPete

Post by LCPete »

Hi wavelea, just got back the weather was awful we came back a day early
I did up at first light on saturday though as it was dry and saw several high browns and silver washed and managed some photos before the rain came at 11am
I was really pleased to see them a first for me :D
We saw a lot of ringlets in the meadows too they saved the day as they seemed to fly even whan it was overcast
We are going back next year for longer if we can so that we can visit some of the other sites too
thanks
Pete
Annie

Post by Annie »

I sat in my lounge and looked over to Exmoor yesterday - normally I can see the headland near Lynmouth but the weather was so bloody awful I couldn't see further than Minehead!

Watersmeet to Lynmouth is a favourite walk of mine, might try to get out there in a couple of weeks

Return to “Sites”