New Camera

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
Dave Mac

Post by Dave Mac »

Looking good Dave
NickB

Nice start...

Post by NickB »

I think you will have plenty of fun working out how to get the best from your new toy in the winter to be ready for the next butterfly season!
I do think, however, that the lump of glass in front will make the biggest difference! (I like the look of the Tamron 90mm and it has some good reviews at around £365...)
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
NickB

Did I say £365?

Post by NickB »

£269 in Cameraworld.co.uk!
LCPete

Post by LCPete »

Hi dave well done on the new camera
I use the sigma 105 too its great as you can hand hold it easily as I dont get on with a tripod.
Sometimes for dragonflies I cant get near enough with the 105 but for butterflies its great.
Pete
eccles

Post by eccles »

I have a Sony A100 which uses the Minolta AF mount. I also have a Sigma 105 macro, but before I got that I had a fairly basic Minolta 75-300mm lens that cost me £70. I have a Canon 500D close up lens that I got for the Canon S3 compact that I used previously and with a stepping ring used that on the telezoom for a while. I got some very good results with the zoom set between 150-220mm and was able to shoot nice butterfly pics from around 12-18" away. I haven't had the Sony for very long so I'm still not settled on what the best option for butterflies will be for me, but having got another zoom recently, a Minolta f4 70-210 that is some 20 years old, focusses quite close and is beautifully sharp, I'm currently thinking that it'd do me well with the 500D close up lens. Also keep the 105 macro in the bag for when I can get closer.
Incidently, on the 'IS' argument, the Sony in-camera system does work and quite well too, but you still have to get reasonably close to shake free with longer lenses for it to 'catch'. The Canon S3 by comparison was ridiculously easy, and I suspect that in-lens IS is more tolerant of shake than an in-camera system. But the big plus for me is ALL my lenses are 'IS'. :)
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I was recently given the tip by Nick Ballard that using IS in the "shoot only" modes as opposed to "continuous" might give better results. The manual with my Canon S3 seems to confirm that suggestion. Of course, the use of flash (1/1000 second or shorter) freezes any shake regardless of IS. But then, there is the difficulty of avoiding the usual failing that a picture taken with flash can look artificial. I am carrying out experiments this winter to try to get the right balance of flash/natural light. (Bit difficult to find natural light at this time of year especially with this heavy cloud we are getting at present).

The attached was taken using IS shoot only plus flash. It's the only Large Tortoiseshell picture I have taken this year (from a cover on a Jeremy Thomas book). The picture is a crop from the full frame but has not been resized.

Jack
Superfly

New camera etc

Post by Superfly »

Hi Dave,
hope this thread hasn't gone cold as have just found it!

Sounds like I'm in an identical situation as yourself. Had been using a sony dsc200? which has a great macro setting that allowed me to point and click at arms length. Got some great shots but very dependent on butterfly being in favourable position (right in front of me ;) )

Took a gamble on a dslr and purchased canon d400 body only and then got canon ef 28-135 as this was favourably reviewed as a good walkabout lens. Not had a chance to try it yet but am seriously considering a macro lens. Don't want to have to carry a tripod but cannot afford a canon 100-400 either! May opt for the sigma 150 before the wife sees my credit card bill, but will probably have to wait!

Good luck with your new camera, and if you do go macro - let me know your findings!

cheers,

Steve
NickB

DSLR vs Compact...?

Post by NickB »

Hi Guys
Just bit the bullet and got a DSLR so I have started to see the differences...
Got a Tamron 90mm macro to play with as well, which gives some very nice sharp images, but with a very small depth-of-field when you go in very close, so I will half-fill the frame with the object and crop down in Photoshop to get an acceptable magnification and DoF.
My first impression is that the image quality, when it is sharp, is much better than the FZ50 I have been using. The minus is for hand-held the Image Stabilisation on the FZ50 gives an advantage here, so I have been practicing using a monopod with my new Nikon - 1.6kg with lens vs 650gms for the FZ50+macro.
When I get the time I will try to send some comparative images for the two...
BTW Steve - I tried that one; ..and though we did need a new matress, I guessed that since my fiancee is a photographer she would understand the need for proper equipment ! We are now getting a new matress (on interest free credit) as well!
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I am delighted to learn Nick that your fiancee understands the need for proper equipment :)

Jack
NickB

Post by NickB »

jackharr wrote:I am delighted to learn Nick that your fiancee understands the need for proper equipment :)

Jack
I couldn't possibly comment! :oops:
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

OK, now we are set. Just got to figure how to focus and things and we are good to go. Got my Sigma 105mm Macro today:

Might get a remote for my camera too. Can't wait for the season to begin. Been shooting pics of dead flies and leaves today, so just getting ready for the season.
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

OK, first two pics taken with the lens, (Still got to fugure focusing properly, still having a problem there at moment):

Sunset Strangford Lough:

Pigeons:

Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
Martin

Post by Martin »

Dave,
Regards the focusing, read the manual :wink: That's a good combination you have there, I look forward to seeing the results :)

Martin.

Return to “Photography”