Re: May 2014

Post by David M »

Butterflysaurus rex wrote:I saw my first Common Blue of the year today
You lucky devil, Rex.

Great sighting.
adrian riley

Post by adrian riley »

Ian Pratt wrote:Last Thursday I met someone who lives in Cyprus and who is a butterfly enthusiast. He said the numbers of Painted Ladies there at the moment was absolutely amazing so perhaps we will have an influx? Let's hope so. :D Ian
Hi Gang
I was in Cyprus myself last week and I have never seen so many Painted Lady. There must have been millions in the island. They were everywhere one looked, from the coast at St Georges to the high Troodos. Many were feeding voraciously from a plant grown in municipal areas which I think someone told me was 'Lanterna'. On one occasion I was sitting at a bar in Paphos (ok; calm down and stop sniggering. Titter ye not!) and there were hundreds attending these flowers at a nearby ornamental planting. Every time someone walked past they flew up in clouds, the likes of which I have never seen. Most of those elsewhere that were on the move were flying purposefully northwards and, on the last morning I was there (30th April), there was a barely a Painted Lady in sight. Nearly all of them had shipped out.
All in all it was a great trip and I managed to find 21 species of butterfly inducing the three endemics. And yeah, ok, the beer was pretty good!
Apologies to those who follow the Bugalert national recording site for the delay in posting records whilst I was away. I'm catching up pretty quickly ad should be up-to-date by the end of today.
Adrian
http://www.bugalert.net
Penhale Paul

Post by Penhale Paul »

A search of Penhale Dunes, Cornwall looking for my first Grizzled of the year turned up a nice surprise .......... 15( +) Brown Argus. Thats a full week earlier than I had them last and at an area of the dunes I wasn't expecting them. All superbly fresh and vibrant.
On top of these I also got my first Grizzled (3), Dingy (2), Wall (7), Small Copper (1), Peacock (3) + some Whites(?) and Cinnabar Moth.
All these sightings came in a small localised spot that was sheltered from the wind but a perfect sun trap, elsewhere throughout the dunes there was little to be found due to the wind.
I did get plenty of pics but im still at my caravan using a mobile so cannot upload any until I return home.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/nv7Q6X][img]http ... .jpg[/img]brargus8 by https://www.flickr.com/people/40927610@N03/

[url=https://flic.kr/p/nv93yw][img]http ... .jpg[/img]brargus4 by https://www.flickr.com/people/40927610@N03/

[urlImageDSC_7135_038 by https://www.flickr.com/people/40927610@N03/

[urlImageDSC_7142_037 by ]
Last edited by Penhale Paul on Mon May 05, 2014 9:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Now is the time...
...to find new Pearl Bordered Fritillary colonies.

In addition to Heyshott Down (south of Midhurst), there was a recent report of PB Fritillary at Graffham Common (southeast of Midhurst). Sorry, can't find the reference now. Both localities are less than 8 kilometres from Ambersham Common where I used to enjoy PBFs in good numbers some 40 years ago (that particular site is heavily overgrown now).

My suspicion is that PBF is widely but thinly spread through the woods between the A285 and A286 roads to the south of the A272. There might even be a core colony lurking somewhere. Google Earth, etc, shows plenty of apparent clearings (ideal habitat for PBF?) in that extensive area of woodland.

Jack
prettybutterfly

Post by prettybutterfly »

I went butterfly hunting with my daddy and found a spot with lots of Orange Tips. We saw about 20 and half of them were females. They were flying around garlic mustard in Bobbits Lane Wood in Ipswich.
I also found a bug on a tree by myself. I don't know what it is, so can anyone help me.

Emma (Age 9)
Attachments
Female Orange Tip - Bobbits Lane (1).JPG
Bug 1.JPG
EricY

Wyre forest PBF's

Post by EricY »

PBF possible mating attempt. the tatty one paid a lot of attention to the one deep in grass
PBF possible mating attempt. the tatty one paid a lot of attention to the one deep in grass
PBF underside
PBF underside
PBF Wyre forest old railway line 4/5
PBF Wyre forest old railway line 4/5
Having 9 days in Scottish highlands wildlife watching I resolved if forecast was fine for sunday 4th I would hot foot it to Worcestershire on the motorways instead of the slightly longer drive back to Norfolk on the chance Wyre's PBF's would be out. Left o.nite stop @ Glenrothes @ 5.30am 7 arrived @ sister in laws before lunch. I had good info from Wyre forest study group that best thing to do was park @ the new Dry mill lane c/pk & walk the old railway line. Turned out to be a longer walk than expected as did not find them until 150yds after the path from visitor centre crosses the old railway line about a 1 mile I think. Still I did find them &very active they were.
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

Late this afternoon I went on the hunt for the Glanville fritillaries at Bonchurch not expecting to see them as it was late, the sun was very hazy, it was cooler and the breeze was getting up.
I did find one roosting on valerian 15 feet up the cliff face. Would my new Lumix FZ200 be up to the task? Judge for yourself: 24 x optical zoom and 4 x digital zoom.
Also, I saw two roosting cream-spot tiger moths. Another wall brown on Bonchurch Down.
Ian
Attachments
01-Pratt-Ian--P1000293.1.jpg
01-Pratt-Ian--P1000306.1.jpg
01-Pratt-Ian--P1000303.1.jpg
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Impressive photos, Ian.

I'm a bit behind you on the FZ200 learning curve - do you use a support (tripod, monopod?) for these long-range shots? So far, mine have been none too sharp.

Mike
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

MikeOxon wrote:Impressive photos, Ian.

I'm a bit behind you on the FZ200 learning curve - do you use a support (tripod, monopod?) for these long-range shots? So far, mine have been none too sharp.

Mike
I used a monopod for these. :) Ian
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

prettybutterfly wrote: I also found a bug on a tree by myself. I don't know what it is, so can anyone help me.

Emma (Age 9)
I think, (with a little help from google) that it's a Giant Ichneumon Wasp.
dave brown

Post by dave brown »

We saw a minimum of 17 Duke of Burgundy at Bonsai Bank, Denge Wood, South of Canterbury, yesterday. Most were very fresh and must have emerged this weekend. The added benefit at this location is the large numbers of Lady Orchids in full flower. A really pleasant morning.
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Ian Pratt wrote:I used a monopod for these. :) Ian
Thanks, Ian. I'm a great fan of monopods! I'm finding it quite difficult trying to get used to the very different depth of field, when comparing the FZ to my Nikon. Also, I have put rather too much faith in the image stabilisation - the long end of the FZ zoom is very long and needs good support!

Mike
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

Penhale Paul wrote: I did get plenty of pics but im still at my caravan using a mobile so cannot upload any until I return home.
Some great photos by you- easy to see why the brown argus is a member of the blue family. :)
Ian
RobS

Post by RobS »

A promise of fair, if not sunny weather ,tempted me down to Bentley Wood (eastern clearing) today, in search of PBF and Duke of Burgundy.
I arrived on site at 0930 and there was already someone there who pointed out 2 individual PBFs for me straight away.Within the next half an hour or so, many more seemed to appear, tempted out by the sun and increasing temperature.
Bentley PBF 1 bdr rz.jpg
A larger number of people had gathered and by 1 oclock many were happy to have seen the butterfly they had come for.There was still no sign of the Duke and a few watchers left for different sites.I retreated to the car park for some lunch and returned at about 1330 to be greeted by the news that 2 or 3 individual DOB had been seen.The sun was now shining onto the clearing and the temperature had increased by a few degrees.It wasnt long before they presented themselves to me and another keen observer(sorry i didnt get your name) along with forum contributor and good egg, millerd, whom i seem to meet on every foray that i do.Good to see you again Dave!!
Bentley Duke bdr rz.jpg
Bentley wood Duke 2 bdr rz.jpg
As the afternoon continued the sun gave way to haze and the temperature dropped slightly, resulting in the DOB sightings drying up and the PBFs to start to seek a place to roost for the evening.At 1500 i managed to photo these last 2 as they sought each other out to enjoy the last of the day.They were very different butterflies, one considerably older and more worn, as well as smaller too.
Bentley PBF X2 bdr rz.jpg
As the day drew to a close we noticed that the last remaining PBF were seeking the protection of trees, so we assumed that this was their favourite roosting spot.One teased us for a while, flying around before settling on a high leaf.This was the last one of the day at about 1545.
Bentley PBF in tree bdr rz.jpg
On the way back to the car park i noticed this fly(??) which was stunning....any ideas ChrisC ,Mark Colvin or anyone?
Bentley Unknown Insect.jpg
Another good day spent wandering in search of these amazing insects...and with good company too.
hope i havent bored anyone,
cheers
Rob
Under canvas. Just the wild woods for company.
Susie

Post by Susie »

My gut reaction to your beastie was a sawfly, RobS. Nice pic :)

Something like these Cimbex sp.? I am sure someone will be able to narrow it down for you. :) http://bugguide.net/node/view/37877/bgimage

Edit: Got it; Birch Sawfly http://www.naturespot.org.uk/species/birch-sawfly
Last edited by Susie on Mon May 05, 2014 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Took a look at one of my local duke sites this afternoon and was pleasantly surprised to count in excess of 35 including four duchesses. good numbers of green hairstreaks too - just a lovely afternoon and good views of a male cuckoo too :D
Attachments
P1040217.JPG
P1040190.JPG
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
RobS

Post by RobS »

Thanks Susie...it may have taken me a while to track this one down as i didnt know if it was a fly or a bee etc. You're a star !!
cheers
rob
Under canvas. Just the wild woods for company.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

MikeOxon
Just out of interest, a friend Mike Rubin bought an FZ200 and was far from happy with the resolution. He returned it to Amazon for a replacement. He is more than satisfied with the replacement. My suspicion is that with the mass production (hence cheap) there could be a lack of quality control. Panasonic might consider it economic sense to manufacture cheaply and simply throw away some of the returned duds.

Jack
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Jack Harrison wrote:....My suspicion is that with the mass production (hence cheap) there could be a lack of quality control. Panasonic might consider it economic sense to manufacture cheaply and simply throw away some of the returned duds.
In my case, I'm sure it's just my own wobblyness :) I did some static tests that showed the lens performance is great. I need to learn that, although small, it needs to be handled like a 600mm lens!

Mike
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Rodborough Common, Near Stroud, Gloucestershire. First visit of the new season to one of my favourite locations, pilgrimage to my nearest Duke of Burgundy colonies, and I'd only been at the place half an hour when Matthew Oates appeared out of the shrubbery :shock: it was nice to have a natter with him about the current state of the butterfly on the common, apparently one of the main colonies has had something of a crash and he was there to check for newly emerged males, and hopefully see the first Brown Argus and Small Heath of the year, ironically he left just twenty minutes before a mint fresh Brown Argus appeared right in the middle of the core D of B area, then the first of the Small Heath turned up as I moved on to check out the next colony...(if you should read this)...you only just missed Matthew :roll:

During my day a maximum of 22 Duke of Burgundy were seen, most were a bit on the faded side and only three fresh(ish) males were seen. Healthy numbers of Green Hairstreak with at least 30 counted, the Dingy Skipper really put in a strong show and I probably saw in excess of 50. It was nice to get an early Brown Argus but only the one I did see along with a few Small Heath and Small Copper. Others seen; Small & Green-veined White, Small Tortoiseshell but rather surprisingly not a single Peacock possibly because the wind was pretty strong and they stayed down.

Found two unopened Pasque Flowers, a national rarity that still occurs on the common. The Cowslips were in profusion along with a good scattering of the contrasting Early Purple Orchid. Near Swellshill Bank the air was pungent with masses of Wild Garlic, incidentally, I saw just two Duke of Burgundy at Swellshill and this is my lowest tally here, Matthew mentioned concern for this colony too :( On a more positive note I photographed a rather beige/brownish Green Hairstreak on the lower slopes of the bank, I'm wondering how common this might be...anyone know :?:

Several Mother Shipton up to no good...and did you know they can fly without broomsticks :shock: :lol: also plenty of Burnet Companion and loads of Pyrausta aurata, purpuralis and despicata disturbed from the grasses.

Another super May day only slighty marred by the keen south easterly wind that swept the shoulders of the common in areas I like to search...I shall be back :wink:

Bill :D

"When in doubt...venture out"
Attachments
This Green Hairstreak stirred some interest in me...
This Green Hairstreak stirred some interest in me...
A different view of the Duke (or Duchess?)...
A different view of the Duke (or Duchess?)...
Side on view of the Duke of Burgundy
Side on view of the Duke of Burgundy
Brown Argus just emerged...
Brown Argus just emerged...
The national rare Pasque Flower waiting for the sunshine
The national rare Pasque Flower waiting for the sunshine
One of many Green Hairstreak counted
One of many Green Hairstreak counted
Duke of Burgundy at leisure
Duke of Burgundy at leisure
Small Copper sporting rather smallish spots.
Small Copper sporting rather smallish spots.
My first Small Heath of the year!!!
My first Small Heath of the year!!!
Dingy Skipper snacking on Milkwort
Dingy Skipper snacking on Milkwort
Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk

Return to “Sightings”