Padfield

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Padfield

Post by Padfield »

cjackson wrote:I will have to return to the Haute Savoie when the forecast is more reliable.
There's no time of year you can guarantee good weather here, Chris. The only advice I can give people coming to the Alps to watch butterflies is to book as long a holiday as possible, to maximise your chances.

Jack - I'm not sure I recognise the Vampire Slayer in that picture! :shock: To show what she really looks like I suppose now is as good a time as any to dredge up this old piccie of my departed friends Asha and Kitten Cat with the house goddess:

Guy

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Some will remember that the sallows where I have followed iris cats for the last few years were cut down last year. I rescued one chrysalis, Trajan, and released him with some sadness where he should have been born wild, in July. I therefore decided to start following white admirals this year, in the hope, ultimately, of recording the complete life-cycle in the wild. To that end, Minnie and I set off this afternoon on a long exploration of the local forests, looking for camilla cats.

The first we found was far from home:

As soon as he was rumbled, he turned round and headed for the stem, where he obviously felt more camouflaged:

We covered many kilometres of forest tracks, examining hundreds of honeysuckle plants and keeping an eye open for suitable stands of sallow (in the hope of finding a new site for iris) but found nothing at all until almost home again, when suddenly a tiny, isolated honeysuckle produced three camilla cats - all tiny and at least one instar younger than the one above:

That was all very good - I can check these daily on my morning walk with Minnie and follow at least one through to pupation or beyond. But better was to come. Passing a very young, isolated sallow, that I would never have expected to attract purple emperors, my eye was caught by the characteristic feeding pattern of iris. Routinely, I checked the leaf - and to my amazement, there was an iris cat! It appears to be fourth instar and will henceforth be known as Vespasian:

Almost immediately afterwards I spotted another. This was smaller and appears to be preparing to moult. Voici, donc, Titus (historically, Vespasian's son, but in this case his younger sibling or cousin):

The dark horns suggest he hibernated in second instar - I'm not sure about this. Perhaps one of the experts could given an opinion.

I have no idea if I will be able to follow these through. They are in a worked ride where there seems to have been a campaign against sallow recently. But if they do pupate, I'm pretty sure I'll find the chrysalises as there's basically nowhere else to go ...

Guy

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Guy:
The dark horns suggest he hibernated in second instar - I'm not sure about this. Perhaps one of the experts could given an opinion.
Surely you are THE expert :?:

I recall a talk I was preparing about a slightly technical aspect of weather forecasting for glider pilots. I Googled for references to make sure I was getting it right. Top of the list was an article that I had written myself :!:

So yes Guy. You must be the expert of Purple Emperor early stages. Have faith in yourself!

Jack

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Jack! :D But these little creatures do seem to be so variable in shade over the winter I'm not sure how much can be read into the head colour immediately after hibernation. The very first iris cat I ever found, Nero, had hibernated in the second instar. I found him as he prepared to shed his skin too:

His head is not so dark but I know he was second instar from the number of subsequent moults.

This is a freshly moulted autumn second instar, prior to fattening up:

It was that very dark head, as well as the small size, I had in mind when I suggested Titus had hibernated as a second instar.

If I'm lucky, I'll be able to find out as Titus goes through his next changes ...

Guy

David M

Post by David M »

Greal larval stage images, Guy.

I guess following a Purple Emperor 'cat' is almost an annual rite of passage for you these days?

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

David M wrote:I guess following a Purple Emperor 'cat' is almost an annual rite of passage for you these days?
It's addictive, David!

Here's Vespasian again, looking rather fine in the rain:

Titus is on the point of shedding his skin - I think he will have done it by tomorrow.

Today's big coup was the discovery of a third caterpillar, Domitian, on another isolated, young sallow, well away from the forest rides and forestry vehicles, just off a little-used walking track. Here is the site:

And here is Domitian himself, with a wet and by now rather bored Jack Russell in the background:

In fact, that was the last picture I took. When I found Domitian he was feeding but relocated to the end of the leaf (to sit in a puddle) when he noticed me:

The flash distorts the colour but it was very hard to get a decent picture without flash in the gloom:

To be continued, I hope ...

Guy

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

This is a wonderful diary Guy. Some superb observations and illustrations.

Domitian (!) How many Roman Emperor names have you used so far?
(If anyone things I am a scholar of Roman history, sorry to disappoint. I hadn't a clue who Domitian was. Good old Google).

I wonder. If a PE cat lost a horn(s) as a result of accident or predation, could it survive? If so, would you speculate on the disability or aberration of the resulting adult? Or put it another way. What is the purpose of the horns? Are they simply to make the cat looks fearsome and scare would-be attackers?

Jack

Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Great photos Guy. Are they all taken with your point-and-shoot camera? If so, I will rush out and get one straight away.
Chris

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Thanks Jack! Your encouragement is sincerely appreciated! Thanks Chris, too. Yes - all taken with my PowerShot SX130IS. It has many limitations but the important advantage of being extremely light and portable!!

Jack: Prior to Vespasian, Titus and Domitian I've followed Nero, Julius, Augustus, Constantine, Diocletian, Hadrian, Aurelian, Tiberius and Trajan through various stages of their life-cycles. Some of these I knew as eggs (though I never name them before hatching) but most I found as caterpillars. I knew Aurelian the longest, from egg all the way through to when he quit his final resting leaf for pupation - but I never found his pupa. The only one I confirmed to adulthood was Trajan, who you will remember I had to rescue as a chrysalis.

I think a difference between Swiss populations of purple emperor (as well as many other species) and British ones is that ours are spread much less densely over a larger area. The Commune d'Ollon, where I live, is 45% forest, worked for timber, not managed for butterflies. There's nowhere you can reasonably expect to see more than one or two purple emperors a day in peak season but equally, nowhere you would be surprised if you did find one. Looking for wild caterpillars is therefore a really enjoyable activity - an art and a science. You cover many kilometres, knowing they're there, somewhere, and trying your best to second guess the wandering female who might have traversed that path some months before ...

This morning and afternoon, cows were grazing near my betulae patch, but this evening they had moved on. So Minnie and I went to check on those cats. I don't formally name these, but the two I have found this year I have privately come to call Billy and Bertie. They are still tiny and at the limit of my camera, but healthy and growing fast:

(Billy Betulae)

(Bertie Betulae)

Guy

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

I see the Vespas and mods have all gone! :wink:

For all my pessimism last year, it looks as though my local iris population remains healthy. Today's walk turned up another 3 cats: Hostilian, Quintillus and Sextus (there isn't an emperor called Sextus but there are several whose full name includes Sextus - this one is named after Martinian = Sextus Marcius Martinianus).

Here are Hostilian (slightly larger, on the right) and Quintillus:

Sextus, the last one I found, is tiny:

Here he is in context:

All these caterpillars are on very young saplings. Hostilian and Quintillus are on this one (reaching diagonally from bottom mid-right to top mid-left):

It is about 6 feet tall and standing alone.

I can check on all 6 cats in about an hour's round trip from my house. Here are the other three, also photographed today:

(Vespasian)

(Domitian)

(Titus - who, contrary to expectation, is still laid up)

Guy

Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Great stuff - I'm surprised by the variance in sizes between these cats!

Yeah - I removed the cringeworthy reference to Mods, in relation to Lambrettasian.

Cheers,

- Pete

Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Today's walk added a couple of new cats - Septimus and Octavian. I think that's enough to keep track of - and now I've got my eye in it's quite easy to find them.

(Septimus)

(Octavian)

All the others were still around except for Vespasian, who seems to have moved. He might have been eaten but there were no signs of violence. If he is still alive he will give his new location away soon, when he eats the leaves. Titus still hasn't shed his skin - he's looked like this for three days now:

Just a few more piccies:

(Hostilian)

(Domitian)

(Hostilian and Quintillus)

I won't bore you with more pictures every day! By mid-June the first of them should be getting ready to pupate and between now and then there will be a lot of eating and growing and probably the loss of some to predators. I'll post occasional pictures when anything interesting happens.

Guy

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

I promised to go easy on the iris cats but I have to add Novus, found today not far from Septimus. I've abandoned restricting myself to real emperors now, to make it easier to keep track of them in my head in the order I found them (hence Quintillus, Sextus, Septimus, Octavian and Novus, which means 'new' but is cognate with 'nine'):

For the (my) record, Vespasian is still awol, as is Titus now. Both Domitian and Octavian were nowhere to be seen either. Domitian has been on a different leaf every day, so he's obviously restless. It is quite normal for them to change leaves, sometimes wandering many metres and quite often coming back to previously used bunches of leaves later on. Sextus, Septimus, Hostilian and Quintillus were all within a few leaves of where I first found them.

(Quintillus, resting head down ...)

(Sextus)

Other cats seen today were white admiral ...

... brown hairstreak ...

... and small tortoiseshell by the dozen:

Every day is warm, with cloud, rain and some sun. Rather little has been flying here in the mountain, though I have seen pearl-bordered fritillaries every day, whatever the weather, and there are reports of plenty more cardinals being seen in the valley. 2014 is shaping up to be a good year.

Guy

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Padfield wrote: .... now I've got my eye in it's quite easy to find them. ....
Interesting comment - one might think that their predators would have the same facility! Perhaps, at this time of year, there's such a glut of caterpillars that predators are sated - hence, safety in numbers.

Mike

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

MikeOxon wrote:
Padfield wrote: .... now I've got my eye in it's quite easy to find them. ....
Interesting comment - one might think that their predators would have the same facility! Perhaps, at this time of year, there's such a glut of caterpillars that predators are sated - hence, safety in numbers.
It's a good point. However, it might be more subtle than this. By 'getting my eye in' I mean I can scan a bush rapidly and tell from the feeding patterns whether there are or were iris cats there. There are also loads of other signs of feeding - from moths, sawflies &c. - and by this time of year pretty well every bush is being guzzled by something. So while I can now home in quickly on a bush with iris, and then spend a few minutes locating the little emperor (which might be nowhere near the indicator leaves first spotted), a predator would presumably operate differently. I doubt birds look for iris in particular with quite the same enthusiasm I do!

Some cats presently in the sallows are rather more conspicuous than iris! I presume this scarlet tiger cat is unpalatable to birds as it is quite difficult to miss!

These sallow sawflies, photographed in 2009, would probably be easier to pick off than iris cats too!

Guy

EDIT - I've just noticed those sawflies were on aspen, which I was then searching for populi cats. Confused memories! There are sawflies on the sallow too but I don't think they do this waving around thing.

David M

Post by David M »

You've really got your work cut out this spring, Guy! :)

Good luck with tracking all those PE cats.

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

David M wrote:You've really got your work cut out this spring, Guy! :)

Good luck with tracking all those PE cats.
The numbers will whittle down, David! I could only find 5 of them yesterday and only four today. That doesn't prove a lot - they can be quite mobile as they grow up. If I run out completely I'll just look for some more.

There was a brief but powerful storm yesterday, with gale-force winds and rain. I thought of the iris cats on their slender sallows ... But the only evidence it had made any difference was in the sallow where Septimus used to be, which was all blown about and entangled with another. Septimus was nowhere to be seen - but doubtless fine.

Hostilian laid himself up for his final moult yesterday and was deep in prayer today:

This is the classic position. For comparison, here is Quintillus, a few leaves away:

In both pictures, notice the silk mat they sit on. It was this that kept them attached to the leaves during the gale yesterday. The mat is even more visible in this picture of Novus, also taken today:

It is another useful sign for the presence of iris cats on a bush. Discarded resting leaves that have been used for any length of time have very obvious fuzzy patches at the tip.

Stil gloomy today, though the sun came out a few times between the cloud and showers. Higher up the mountain the rain has fallen as snow - fresh snow lay just a little above my altitude when I got up this morning.

This wood white flew briefly, then changed its ind and went to roost in an elm tree shortly after I took this picture:

Guy

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Another walk in the rain today!

I can't resist posting this picture of Minnie and a white admiral caterpillar - or the other way round:

I was also quite pleased with this shot of Novus. Well may he look a little dejected - but he's in fine fettle:

Guy

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

It is worth reading your diary just for the photos of the Iris cats Guy which in themselves are stunning. Add to that the variety of butterflies and the beautiful scenery you show us and it becomes unmissable.

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

That's very kind of you, Pauline - your own cat diaries have been pretty unmissable recently too...

I easily get obsessive and feared people would stop reading if I posted too many little emperors! I'm a little surprised too that more people aren't posting iris cat pictures. They're such supremely photogenic subjects.

To throw a bit of scenery in, this was the view across the valley from my house this afternoon when the rain stopped:

I've been wanting to take Minnie up to the violet copper colonies but I think they'll still be under snow. As soon as the hot weather returns they should be up and flying. In the meantime, I'll be keeping tabs on Hostilian, Quintilus and the rest. I'm quite excited to see what Hostilian does when he emerges from this moult. If he hangs around on the same sapling it will be very good news.

Guy

Return to “Personal Diaries”