William

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
William

Re: William

Post by William »

Thanks Guys :D - the Small Coppers were amazing, in large numbers for this time of year too. Hopefully I'll be able to catch up with some of the Skippers and Hairstreaks everyone has been seeing in the not too distant future :D :D

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
William

Post by William »

Rainy Ramble

Sadly the recent beautiful, settled weather of late has been replaced with the more typical rain, high winds and clouds in Somerset. Nevertheless, I was determined to make something of my Sunday so I headed out for a tramp around the lanes and fields near me. In the end I was fairly pleased with my tally of 8 roosting Green - Veined Whites and a solitary female Orange Tip.
Green - Veined White
Green - Veined White
Green - Veined White
Green - Veined White
Orange Tip
Orange Tip
Orange Tip
Orange Tip
Not only this, but the Early Purple Orchids were reaching their peak in the woods.
Early Purple Orchids
Early Purple Orchids
Early Purple Orchids
Early Purple Orchids
Early Purple Orchid
Early Purple Orchid

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

Really nice work for such damp and dour day William. Makes me think I should have been a bit more adventurous and gone out myself today. we even had a little bit of sunshine this afternoon!

All the best

B'saurus

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

I really like the raindrops in the first orange-tip image- excellent photo!

David M

Post by David M »

Nice images and clearly from a cloudy day (which is sometimes not a bad thing).
Last edited by David M on Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi William,
I agree with the others. More beautiful images which are a little different from the norm. It's always a joy to look at your diary.
BWs, Neil

William

Post by William »

Thanks Butterfly Saurus, your kind comments are much appreciated, perhaps it wasn't the best idea to go out on such a drizzly day as my water proof trousers and bin-liner jacket were no match for the wet ditch I sat in for the OT photos :lol:

Thanks Katrina I had to do a lot of searching to find her - all worth it in the end :D

Thanks David for your kind words - you're quite right, if I can summon the willpower to go out on such a dreadful day there's normally something that'll sit and have its photo taken around.

Thank you Neil, your compliments mean a great deal with the brilliant photography you consistently produce - something for me to aspire to :D

badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Hi William, How right it is. Stay at home and you won't see anything. I also had a much better day than expected yesterday despite the weather!! Great GVW photos by the way.

William

Post by William »

Thanks Bob - they looked beautiful perched on the cuckoo flower :D

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi William,

Lovely images of the Green-veined Whites from your 'Rainy Ramble' :D

I remember being out with my son on a drizzly day a couple of years ago when we were photographing roosting Marbled whites underneath an umbrella :lol: . It is very true that you never know what you will find unless you go out and look.

Cheers,

Neil.

William

Post by William »

nfreem wrote:Hi William,
photographing roosting Marbled whites underneath an umbrella :lol: .
Only Butterfly watchers :lol: - Thanks for your comments Neil - I've often found it to be the case that any day is worth a go, and even if you don't see anything, getting out and enjoying the scenery restores the energies - there's something wonderfully relaxing about a good rainy day :)

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Hi William

Just to add my agreement; such wonderful pictures from your rainy day that are different to most. Really beautiful images. I too had a cloudy and cool start on Sunday in Sussex but the sun did eventually come out.

Best wishes,

Lee

To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
William

Post by William »

Thanks Lee - it's the best kind of weather for photographing butterflies :D though you do need to have a bit of time on your hands :roll:

William

Post by William »

Recent Doings

With the cloudy weather back and me busy things have been rather quiet recently, apart from a couple of brief butterflyless jaunts. Cow parsley is now in full swing - nothing is quite as Somerset as the magnificent displays we get of this plant and there are some nice Cowslips in flower in a lay-by near me.
Cow Parsley
Cow Parsley
Cowslips
Cowslips
The Bluebells in the garden have also been occupied by an interesting collection of Crab Spiders, mostly Misumenia Vatia I think, but this one seems different.
Crab Spider
Crab Spider
Today was set to be another cloudy uneventful day until the sun came out at about midday and the butterflies with it. In the space of about 10 minutes I had courting Orange Tips and mating Green - Veined Whites, before I left for Haddon Hill (where I'll be doing the transects in late May and June - expect Heath Fritillary Photos, lots of them).
Orange Tip
Orange Tip
Orange Tips
Orange Tips
Orange Tips
Orange Tips
Orange Tips
Orange Tips
Green - Veined Whites
Green - Veined Whites
When I returned in the evening there was a nice Green - Veined White roosting in the garden, so photos to follow (hopefully with some Dukes and Skippers if tomorrow goes according to plan).

David M

Post by David M »

Love that first photo of the male OT approaching the female - he's almost completely side-on!!

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

You must be so pleased with those OT shots William. The one on the Bluebell is stunning but I particularly like the courtship shots as I think photos showing the butterfly's behaviour are more interesting. I have tried in the past to get photos like that and failed miserably so very well done.

William

Post by William »

Thanks David - The male did seem to try everything he had, banking and whirling and even landing on the female.

Thanks Pauline, I always just bump the shutter speed and frame rate up and hope for the best :lol:

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking behaviour shots William, especially the mating Green-veined :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun]
Wurzel

William

Post by William »

Thanks Wurzel - it was a privilege to witness :D , we've had several pairs of Green - Veined Whites in the garden this year.

William

Post by William »

Catching Up

Last weekend was a real mix butterfly wise, first off a nice Green - Veined White that stayed the night in the garden. I indulged myself with some really arty-farty photos - I couldn't resist the light of the sunset coming through the bushes behind :D
Green - Veined White
Green - Veined White
Green - Veined White
Green - Veined White
Green - Veined White
Green - Veined White
Green - Veined White
Green - Veined White
The next day I went out to my usual Duke site in beautiful sunny weather, as usual it delivered the goods and I saw c.12 Dingy Skipper, c.15 Grizzled Skipper, 3 Dukes and a surprise Green Hairstreak (I haven't seen one at this spot for a couple of years). The Dukes were unusually flighty, the first just bombed past, the second disappeared over a hedge after a couple of minutes and the third (a Duchess) was off after one photo. Nevertheless, a beautiful spring morning with equally beautiful butterflies (and the full Nightingale treatment) so what's not to like :D
Grizzled Skipper
Grizzled Skipper
Dingy Skipper
Dingy Skipper
Duke of Burgundy
Duke of Burgundy
Grizzled Skipper
Grizzled Skipper
Duke of Burgundy
Duke of Burgundy
Grizzled Skipper
Grizzled Skipper
Peacocks
Peacocks
Duchess
Duchess
The Garlic Mustard which I've grown is now littered with Orange Tip eggs (very satisfying :D ) all at varying stages of development.
Orange Tip - Fresh Ovum
Orange Tip - Fresh Ovum
Orange Tip Ovum - 1 Day before Hatching
Orange Tip Ovum - 1 Day before Hatching

Return to “Personal Diaries”