millerd

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: millerd

Post by David M »

By God, Dave, that aircraft shot looks like a crash landing!!

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking shots Dave - I need to find a local roosting site for Orange-tips if that's what it can lead to :D How you out up with those planes I don't know :shock:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Thanks, Wurzel - more OTs to come, in fact at this time of year I think I go a bit OTT to be honest :). You do get used to the planes, and when the wind is easterly as it now is they are coming in to land over this side of the airport, and you hardly hear a thing.

Saturday 26th April - a typical sunshine and big shower April day. Luckily there were few of the latter and good spells of the former, so I was able to stroll in more leisurely fashion around my local patch. The route I chose today took in the sunny glade next to River Colne as the first stop. The nettles have grown hugely recently, and as I scanned for evidence of caterpillars I spotted a shiny blue patch up ahead. This turned out to be a basking female Holly Blue.
HB2 260414.JPG
After posing nicely, it was disturbed by a flurry of other wings, which turned out to be a Speckled Wood and the latest incumbent Red Admiral fiercely disputing the territory.
SpW1 260414.JPG
RA1 260414.JPG
As mentioned before, this spot rarely lacks a resident Red Admiral: this one was fairly new, and clearly wasn't the one I saw several weeks ago. As I left the sparring pair, a couple of Green-veined Whites trundled through and got briefly embroiled.

Next stop was Orange Tip country and didn't disappoint. There were a dozen or so in the area where I see them roost, plus nearly as many Whites, all of which appeared to be of the Green-veined persuasion.
GVW1 260414.JPG
Several Peacocks occupied portions of the path, and I found a solitary Comma (I've not seen one here lately at all).
Peacock 260414.JPG
Comma 260414.JPG
The weather conditions (cloud, the sun, with a stiff breeze) seemed to cause the Orange Tips to settle more readily and the roosting patch of Garlic Mustard hosted a couple of individuals who nectared for some while.
OT1 260414.JPG
OT2 260414.JPG
OT3 260414.JPG

Returning along the more open bits of riverside, more Whites were in evidence, and at least one was a female Small White which paused for a while in a cloudy interval affording a good photo opportunity.
SW1 260414.JPG
SW3 260414.JPG
Others turned out to be female Orange Tips, and one of these was ardently pursued by a male high into the trees. The other was solitary and again allowed a photo.
OT4 260414.JPG
Finally, in the last few metres before reaching home, I reached a sheltered hedgeline full of ivy, holly and brambles, plus a variety of flowers in the grass below. Here were yet more Orange Tips and Green-veined Whites, and higher up Holly Blues. A female was extremely obliging with regard to opening its wings, but the intensity of the reflection of light from those glorious shiny blue wings defeated my best efforts at getting a Really Good Photo.
HB3 260414.JPG
HB4 260414.JPG
HB5 260414.JPG

So - eight species (no Small Tortoiseshells or Brimstones today) - nothing exotic, but some lovely butterflies. I would not swop Orange Tips or Holly Blues for anything.

Dave

David M

Post by David M »

Indeed, Dave. Open wing shots of male Orange Tip and female Holly Blue are manna from heaven at any time!

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Lovely photos Dave, great Holly Blue open wing shots.

Mike

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Some great photos in your last couple of reports Dave :D

I know what you mean about being able to block out the aircraft, a couple of my local spots are in the shadow of Birmingham Airport, in fact Sheldon Country Park is at the end of the runway and is a favourite place for plane spotters. After a while you simply don't notice.

Cheers,

Neil.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Those Holly Blue shots are lush Dave, I wish I'd taken some of those :mrgreen: :D You can never have to many Orange-tips :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

Many thanks everyone for the kind comments! :D

I had unusual luck with the second Holly Blue in particular, but often it's just going slowly, keeping your eyes open and expecting the unexpected!

Tuesday 29th April. The sun was out at six o'clock this evening, so I took a chance on finding a few more Orange Tips settled down for the evening around my local patch. I found two males, neither of them anywhere near the spot I'd seen them snoozing before. The low angle of the sun made for some interesting light, so there was some variety to go with previous shots. One of them wasn't properly settled, and set off for a brief flight, posing for a moment or two before choosing a less obvious roost up in a tree.
OT4 290414.JPG
OT3 290414.JPG
OT2 290414.JPG
OT1 290414.JPG

During the search for Orange Tips, I came across two Green-veined Whites hiding in plain sight on the abundant wild parsley.
GVW1 290414.JPG
GVW2 290414.JPG
They (and the Orange Tips) cleverly select plants that are relatively sheltered, yet keep the last rays of the setting sun and are well-placed for the first sunbeams in the morning too. Natural selection at work, no doubt.

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely shots of the evening whites, the first Orange-tip is practically glowing in the sunset :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

Saturday 3rd May. A sunny day! Just a bit chilly, but at least the sun would be strong.
SpW 030514.JPG
After encountering a Speckled Wood on my doorstep, I set off for Totternhoe again, hopeful of better results than last time. Before too long I had found a Dingy Skipper (my first this year), and met up with some like-minded people down from Derbyshire for the day.
DS1 030514.JPG
We ambled along to the chalk pit where the Dukes can be found and met two more folk in search of the same goal. As the sun warmed up the ground, and stayed out for longer periods, we were treated with at least four, probably six or more, Dukes. They were very approachable, though quite active in chasing each other around, spiralling into the sky before plummeting back to earth. There was at least one female too, though she seemed to escape the attention of the males.
DB2 030514.JPG
DB3 030514.JPG
DB4 030514.JPG
DB5 030514.JPG
DB6 030514.JPG
Returning slowly to the car park, there were more Dingy Skippers, a few Green Hairstreaks, and Orange Tips, Brimstones, Small Tortoiseshells, and Peacocks.
GH1 030514.JPG
On the look out for Small Blues, I finally spotted one, but it eluded the camera by heading for an area cordoned off by virtue of a dangerously crumbling chalk face. No doubt the next week or so will bring out quite a few more.

From Totternhoe, it is a short drive along the foot of the Chiltern scarp to Ivinghoe Beacon. I was hoping to see Grizzled Skippers, but in a sheltered gully I have visited before, I found more Dukes. There were probably ten or a dozen, with territories spaced out along the length of the dip, and frequent clashes at the overlap points. Again, there was at least one female, but she did not succumb to any advances made so may well have already been mated. Dukes were by far the commonest species here, with just a couple Dingies, a few Brimstones and a solitary Peacock.
DB1 030514.JPG
DB2 030514.JPG
DB3 030514.JPG
DB4 030514.JPG
DB5 030514.JPG
DB7 030514.JPG
On returning home, there was just enough time to walk around my local patch. The usual customers were in evidence, with Orange Tips and Green-veined Whites settling down for the evening, and Peacocks still patrolling the paths.
GVW 030514.JPG
OT1 030514.JPG
Notably, I did see three Red Admirals - whether these are new arrivals from the South, or locally hatched, I can't really say - they were quite worn, so maybe the former.
RA 030514.JPG
I also saw two Commas and a female Holly Blue.
Comma2 030514.JPG
All in all, not a bad day at all.

Dave

David M

Post by David M »

It's never a bad day when you see a DoB, Dave!!

millerd

Post by millerd »

That makes yesterday an excellent day, David! It was good to see them apparently thriving in two separate localities.

Today (4th May), I spent part of the afternoon down at Botany Bay. The sunshine was a bit hazy, but there were several Wood Whites flying in their characteristic unenergetic way. I spotted two before even reaching the bridge, and came across perhaps ten more in various different places beyond that.
WW2 040514.JPG
There were a couple of sets of courtship behaviour, but no mating observed.
WW1 040514.JPG
I usually see a Grizzled Skipper here at this time of year, but instead found a Dingy - something I'd not seen here before.
DS1 040514.JPG
There were Peacocks, Green-veined Whites and Orange Tips, and a single Speckled Wood. However, the most abundant species was the Brimstone, flying in their dozens, and almost all males. At around four o'clock, they stopped patrolling, and headed for the frequent bugle and bluebell flowers to nectar for fifteen minutes or so. And then they vanished.
Brimstone1 040514.JPG
I did find one pressed flat against the leaf litter, absorbing the weakening sunshine, but the others had concealed themselves well.
Brimstone2 040514.JPG
Dave

Susie

Post by Susie »

Well done on getting the brim on bluebells! I couldn't get that shot last time I was there :)

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Absolutely fantastic reports and shots Dave. The Duke shot where you can see the "new emerged" green sheen on the wings is ace :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

Thanks, Susie - it was a lucky shot, of course. Mostly they wouldn't stand being approached that close, and this was the one in twenty that didn't make off that quickly!

And thanks again, Wurzel. That was indeed a lovely new specimen. With so many around, it's noticeable how there is a lot of variety in the markings. I seem to have missed you by 24 hours - I went down to Bentley Wood this afternoon, where I bumped into RobS who had been there since early in the day.

Monday 5th May: Bentley Wood (eastern clearing). I arrived around two o'clock, and it was still fairly sunny and warm. There were good numbers of Pearl-bordered Fritillaries flying, and because the sunshine was quite hazy, they readily stopped and basked on the leaf litter on the ground to warm up.
PBF1 050514.JPG
PBF2 050514.JPG
PBF3 050514.JPG
PBF4 050514.JPG
PBF5 050514.JPG
There is very little bugle blooming (though plenty of bluebells) so I didn't see many nectaring on their favourite flower. Rob pointed me at a lovely fresh dark Duke of Burgundy, one of three that had been seen that afternoon. This is the first of these I have seen at this location, despite at least one visit here annually in season since 2008, so I was very pleased with that.
DB1 050514.JPG
DB2 050514.JPG
DB3 050514.JPG

Gradually the sun grew fainter, and the butterflies less active. Rob and I searched for roosting spots so the beautiful underside of the PBF could be seen, but the best we managed was to watch several head up into the trees. We tracked one to about 12-15 feet up in an oak, where it stubbornly settled down, but the others just disappeared.
PBF6 050514.JPG
Of other butterflies there was very little variety - lots of Brimstones while the sun shone, and a couple of Peacocks tussling with them when they wandered through their territory. This seems to be a good spot for moths - of those I could identify, there were Speckled Yellow and Argent & Sable. We saw a fast-flying largish brown/orange insect, that definitely wasn't any butterfly we could identify - could this have been an Oak Eggar? Finally, I found a single Brimstone egg on the buckthorn which is quite widespread in the clearing.
Brimstone egg 050514.JPG
Last of all was this very large fly - what on earth is it?
Fly 050514.JPG
Dave

Susie

Post by Susie »

I can see the leaves better in your picture, Dave; Silver birch! Putting two and two together, obvious really - Birch Sawfly! Nice find. :D http://www.naturespot.org.uk/species/birch-sawfly

millerd

Post by millerd »

Thank you, Susie! Not something I would have guessed in many moons of wondering... It was huge.

Dave

Susie

Post by Susie »

It's a nice find. I've never seen one :)

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Missed you again Dave :shock: We'll have to synchronize calendars next year :wink: Great stuff with the Benltey Duke - they can be unreliable little critters at this site.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Great photos of the PBFs and the Duke Dave :D

The PBFs that I saw in the Wyre were either basking low down or heading high up into the trees and disappearing like you describe. I have yet to find one here in the classic 'roosting' pose.

I see that your Duke has very dark hindwings like the one that Pauline commented on in her dairy a little while back. It seems that there is quite a variation in markings in some individuals.

Cheers,

Dave.

Return to “Personal Diaries”