Katrina

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
FISHiEE

Re: Katrina

Post by FISHiEE »

Think we bumped into you at resell wood on Saturday. We only managed a couple of peacocks and then gave up as the cloud cover came over.

If you go to Arundel you should have a walk along the stream below the castle. There are quite a lot of water voles there and they are very used to the large number of people walking on the footpath thete and can be sitting on the bank just a couple of feet from you and take no notice of you at all!

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Today was a good day. I went to Heyshott to look for the Duke of Burgundys. I met Susie there and later Neil. I found 2 myself, one of which was particularly easy to photograph, so much so I even had time to play with the camera and find how to adjust the aperture on the pictures. I also went for a walk to do a cursory check for other Dukes but quickly decided to head back to the one I had found previously which was still in the same spot when I returned. Neil then arrived and gave me a little help with the photography. Thank you Neil for the help and for helping protect the Dukes! We then went to look for other Dukes but in fact Neil spotted all the rest. I then pushed my luck by going to Rewell Wood but it started lightly drizzling on the way there and didn't stop. Overall, though, an excellent day.
Attachments
DSC09220.JPG
DSC09225 - Version 2.jpg
DSC09254.JPG
Image.jpg
DSC09439.JPG
DSC09456.JPG
Last edited by Katrina on Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
William

Post by William »

Those last two, particularly the Duke are stunning, your playing with the aperture has paid off to get that lovely blurred background :D :D

David M

Post by David M »

Simply love the Dingy on the canvas.

Amazing how butterflies will occasionally pose unnaturally for the camera!

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thank you William and David. I still get excited when a butterfly lands on my backpack.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Like the others have said some cracking shots :mrgreen: , the last two being the cream of a very good crop. I really like the back pack one as it shows the scale of the butterfly - it's all too easy to forget how small they are after spending so long peering through a lens :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Katrina

PBFs

Post by Katrina »

Third attempt today to find the PBFs at Rewell Wood, and successful at last! I saw 4 PBFs , one Brimstone, a Speckled Wood and two whites which weren't stopping for an ID. Some of the PBFs I found were showing signs of wear and tear.
Attachments
DSC09492.JPG
DSC09560.JPG
DSC09576.JPG
DSC09603.JPG
DSC09650.JPG

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Lovely Duke of Burgundy and Pearl-bordered Fritillary photos Katrina, its amazing how quickly some of the PBF are showing signs of wear.

Mike

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Excellent news about the PBF's - I really need to get soem but they still haven't emerged over our way yet :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Katrina

Feisty Dukes and Sleeping Grizzlies

Post by Katrina »

On the way to Heyshott the sun began to shine and I stopped at the meadow at Kithurst where I saw 3 Dingy Skippers, 3 Brimstones, 3 definite and possible 4 Duke of Burgundys, one Green-Veined White and one Orange-Tip. I then went on to Heyshott and saw plenty of Duke of Burgundys and Dingy Skippers, some Brimstones and a Speckled Wood. On the way home I stopped off at the Downs, I didn't find much but just as I was leaving luckily for me I bumped into Mud-puddling. He found 2 roosting Grizzled Skippers and one Small Copper (my first of the year) and I eventually found one Grizzled Skipper. (thank you Mud-puddling!)
Attachments
DSC09678.JPG
DSC09733.JPG
DSC09743.JPG
DSC09826.JPG
DSC09956.JPG
DSC00068.jpg
DSC00081.JPG
Last edited by Katrina on Thu May 01, 2014 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Katrina

Duke or Duchess

Post by Katrina »

Not the best photo but can anyone tell me if this is a Duke or a Duchess?
Attachments
DSC09848.JPG

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Smashing Brimstone shot Katrina and like the Small Copper too :mrgreen:

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Katrina,
That's a Duchess. Good find!
BWs, Neil

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thank you Pauline - the Small Copper was thanks to Mud-puddling.
Thanks Neil, I didn't notice it was a Duchess at the time but thought the abdomen looked a bit fatter when looking at the photos. Duchess was at Heyshott yesterday.

NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

Great pictures Katrina. You must be very south! We don't get most of those species up here, but those that we do will not be around for another month or so!

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thank you Nick. I live in Sussex and we are very lucky here to have so many species. Equally lucky to have helpful local enthusiasts and experts.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic shots Katrina :D I especially like the Brimstones and the Duke head shot :D :mrgreen: Still not seen any reports of Dukes or Pearls in Wiltshire so hopefully this weekend.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Katrina

Sunny Day

Post by Katrina »

Today on the Downs I found 3 Small Coppers, 4 Dingy Skippers, 3 Grizzled Skippers, 2 Brown Arguses and 2 Green Hairstreaks. I then went to Pulborough Brooks and saw newts in the pond. I quickly stopped at Kithurst Hill and found 3 Dingy Skippers, 3 Brimstones 2 Duke of Burgundys and one Green-Veined White.
Attachments
DSC00271.JPG
DSC00177.JPG
DSC00192_2.JPG
DSC00216.JPG
DSC00225.JPG
DSC00237.JPG
DSC00238.jpg

Susie

Post by Susie »

Your green hairstreak is sublime :)

Katrina

Roosting at Mill Hill

Post by Katrina »

This evening I went to Mill Hill to try and get some roosting Dingy Skipper photos, having admired others on this website. I had tried to look for roosting butterflies on Friday afternoon at Kithurst Meadow but found only a Pretty Chalk Carpet Moth and 3 spiders. This evening was much more successful and I saw 6 roosting Dingy Skippers 1 Grizzled Skipper and one spider.
Attachments
DSC00380.jpg
DSC00518.jpg
DSC00526.JPG
DSC00577.JPG
DSC00599.JPG

Return to “Personal Diaries”