SPAIN EARLY 2014.

Discussion forum for any overseas items (given that this is a "UK" butterflies forum!).
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Re: SPAIN EARLY 2014.

Post by Padfield »

What a great trip. It must be strange to be home again ...

That yellow streak in the cell is a good marker for female Cleopatra, and the wing shape is good too - so I'd go for that.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
LancsRover

Post by LancsRover »

Thanks to Chris and Guy for ID confirmation on female Cleopatra and I see you had an average day out recently GUY :mrgreen: 35 species wow!

Tuesday 8/4/14. Souillac, DORDOGNE.
A short walk by the river to break the journey home, butterflies seen were Wall Brown,numerous Whites,small & large, Speckled Wood, 3/4 Cleopatra's all male, another firebug(Guy?) but slightly different than the last ones(?) and what I thought was a Silver Y moth but I now think it's a Gold Spangle(?)

Russ
Attachments
WALL
WALL
CLEOPATRA(male)
CLEOPATRA(male)
FIREBUG(?)
FIREBUG(?)
GOLD SPANGLE(?)
GOLD SPANGLE(?)
SAM_2340.JPG
SAM_2342.JPG
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Hi Russ. Your 'firebug' is, I believe, Eurydema ornata, but I'm by no means an expert on bugs and there are plenty in these forums who are!

The moth is the wonderfully named Macdunnoughia confusa: http://www.ukmoths.org.uk/show.php?id=3608

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
LancsRover

Post by LancsRover »

Hi Guy, "Macdunnoughia confusa" I thought you were having a laugh :lol:

Russ
LancsRover

Post by LancsRover »

Thursday 10/4/14.
La Foret Domaniale De Crecy,Nr. Baie De Somme,(75 miles from Calais).

I found this forest on the Kent branch site of Butterfly Conservation, I had a little time to spare on my way back to catch the ferry at Calais, so I thought I would check it out for future visits.

It was about 15c in the part of the forest I surveyed (a small car park/clearing), there were quite a few b/fs about, Large & Small Whites, Brimstones, Green-veined Whites, Orange Tips, Holly Blues, 3/4 Large Tortoiseshells which flew up and down the roadside and clearing but never stopped :x .

I also spotted a Speckled Wood with just brown hind wings, eg no spots, has anybody seen anything similar?

Cheers Russ

Ps This is my last report of my SPAIN EARLY 2014 trip, many thanks to everybody who have contributed.
Attachments
Speckled Wood aberrant?
Speckled Wood aberrant?
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

A lovely report Russ, really good work! I must get back to France and Spain early in the year.

Your Speckled Wood is an odd one. I've never see anything like that, clearly an aberrant example.

Best wishes,

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Hi Russ,
Thanks for your reports during your SPAIN EARLY 2014 trip, I enjoyed following them and they provided plenty of encouragement during the winter months - I would log on at work each morning to see if there was any fresh news!! I was always interested to see what you found and there was anticipation over what you would see next. I think your Provence Hairstreak is my favourite because it is still on my wish list!!
As for your Speckled Wood above, the forewings look like those of a Pararge aegeria aegeria, but the rest I've never seen before.
Cheers, Chris
Last edited by Chris Jackson on Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
David M

Post by David M »

Speckled Woods appear less prone than virtually any other British species to major aberrations like that so what you've posted is highly significant.
LancsRover

Post by LancsRover »

Hi Lee, thanks for your kind comments and I hope you get to France and Spain soon.
Cheers Russ

Hi Chris, thanks also for your kind comments, I found/photographed 31 different species, 12 of which I'd never seen before. The Provence Hairstreak was "different", I thought it was some kind of hybrid, but I think I enjoyed the Camberwell Beauty the most, the unusual way I came across it and the majestic way it soared,dived and danced over the fast flowing mountain
stream, fantastic!
I will be following your MARSEILLES CHECKLIST 2014, so keep it going.
Cheers Russ.

Hi David, here are a couple more pics of our "funny" Speckled Wood and one of a "normal S/W, taken about 10 mins. before in the same area, notice the difference in colours, orange and yellow, and both only just over the channel(75 miles from Calais)
Cheers Russ.
Attachments
Orange & half brown Speckled Wood.
Yellow(normal) Speckled Wood.
Yellow(normal) Speckled Wood.
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

On the subject of your Speckled Wood, Russ, they may have more extreme variations the further South you get. This one was from Marseilles in 2012, although I ve never seen one like it since!
Cheers, Chris
aegeria3_13 femelle forme méridionale compressed.jpg

Return to “Overseas”